[GNC] help lost data file

123

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis
Adrien, Geert,

From the gmail web interface, I hit reply to the latest email I received
from this list and changed the subject line to be what I wanted, and
deleted the entire body before typing up what I wanted to say.  I thought
it was the subject text that directed emails into various conversations
(threads).  It seems to in gmail.  Apparently there's some stuff in the
email's headers that make the email appear to belong to another thread.
Knowing this, from now on, I'll start threads using virgin emails.

Kind regards,

Greg

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 10:20 AM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It threaded that way for me as well. But then once the first reply came
> back, it somehow magically decoupled. I chalked it up to a Mail.app hiccup.
> Now I’m intrigued as to how it got separated. Curious to see what the
> Mailman archive page shows.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Apr 5, 2019, at 11:06 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > It was "hijacked" in the sense that you seem to have started it by
> replying to
> > John Ralls' reply on the "help lost data file" thread. So my mail client
> did
> > hide your message in that thread. Apparently that also happened for
> Frank.
> >
> > Of course I can't *know* what you did exactly. It just *looks* like this
> is
> > what you did: take an existing message, hit reply (or reply to
> list/all),
> > change subject and body, send. That would cause such a message to end up
> > hidden in the original thread.
> >
> > In any case I also didn't immediately see your message.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert
> >
> > Op vrijdag 5 april 2019 15:56:24 CEST schreef Greg Feneis:
> >> Hi Frank,
> >>
> >> I started this thread. I've been driving this thread since I started it.
> >> What made you think I hijacked?
> >>
> >> I was aware of bugzilla, but it's not an email list.  I had some concern
> >> that the process had changed from when I last monitored this list many
> >> months ago.  Previously an error like this gets discussed, and someone,
> >> developer or person who works more closely with the project, asks the
> >> reporter to log it to bugzilla.
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >>
> >> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

> errors?

> use.

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0

> couldn't

> save

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis
Well, Chris Graves, nvsoar,

I copied the original folders so I could make a test path exactly like the
path that causes the error, but with no ampersand, and I still get the the
same problem.

The path C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C and D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\ fails
just like C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\ fails.

A screen shot of the error
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8rlgj1kvv0ysn/2019-04-05_18-37-52.png?dl=0

All,

I copied the original folder so I could make a test path exactly like the
path that causes the error, but with no spaces in the folder names and no
ampersand, and I still get the same problem.  However, this time, when
gnucash tried to display the path in the error message, it got some of it
right.

A screen shot of that is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3p0agpdlkmzia4/2019-04-05_18-52-26.png?dl=0

Thanks for all the help, folks.
Kind regards,

Greg Feneis

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 6:31 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adrien, Geert,
>
> From the gmail web interface, I hit reply to the latest email I received
> from this list and changed the subject line to be what I wanted, and
> deleted the entire body before typing up what I wanted to say.  I thought
> it was the subject text that directed emails into various conversations
> (threads).  It seems to in gmail.  Apparently there's some stuff in the
> email's headers that make the email appear to belong to another thread.
> Knowing this, from now on, I'll start threads using virgin emails.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 10:20 AM Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It threaded that way for me as well. But then once the first reply came
>> back, it somehow magically decoupled. I chalked it up to a Mail.app hiccup.
>> Now I’m intrigued as to how it got separated. Curious to see what the
>> Mailman archive page shows.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>> > On Apr 5, 2019, at 11:06 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Greg,
>> >
>> > It was "hijacked" in the sense that you seem to have started it by
>> replying to
>> > John Ralls' reply on the "help lost data file" thread. So my mail
>> client did
>> > hide your message in that thread. Apparently that also happened for
>> Frank.
>> >
>> > Of course I can't *know* what you did exactly. It just *looks* like
>> this is
>> > what you did: take an existing message, hit reply (or reply to
>> list/all),
>> > change subject and body, send. That would cause such a message to end
>> up
>> > hidden in the original thread.
>> >
>> > In any case I also didn't immediately see your message.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Geert

>> it.

>> concern
>> someone, a

>> errors?

>> use.

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0

>> couldn't

>> save

>> and

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg,

No worries, but yes, you’ve guessed correctly.

There is a hidden header with a subject ID that is carried over when you hit ‘reply’. This is what threading is based off of, (for most mail clients) not the text characters in the subject line. (you can see this header line if you view the raw message source) Gmail sometimes tries to outsmart that header, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

To guarantee that you start a new thread, simply start a new e-mail and address it to [hidden email].

After doing this once, Gmail should offer the sending address up in full as you start typing gnuc... to make entering it faster.

If I had a nickel for every time someone e-mailed me by pulling up an ancient message and hitting reply instead of just starting to type my name and let their mail app dutifully auto-suggest my already stored address... Then end result is getting new messages threaded into subjects that are months, and in some cases, years, yes years, old. (this is really baffling in the age of smart phones where the normal (?) workflow is to pull up the contact first, then hit either the call, text, or e-mail icons)

In short, unless you are *actually* and *literally* (rare proper double usage there) replying to the content of a specific message, don’t use the reply button. Use the new message button. (this is for any message, not just here on the GnuCash list. You’ll save your correspondents lots of potential grief, or at least, avoid having your new message end up lost or passed over.)

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 8:31 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adrien, Geert,
>
> From the gmail web interface, I hit reply to the latest email I received
> from this list and changed the subject line to be what I wanted, and
> deleted the entire body before typing up what I wanted to say.  I thought
> it was the subject text that directed emails into various conversations
> (threads).  It seems to in gmail.  Apparently there's some stuff in the
> email's headers that make the email appear to belong to another thread.
> Knowing this, from now on, I'll start threads using virgin emails.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 10:20 AM Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It threaded that way for me as well. But then once the first reply came
>> back, it somehow magically decoupled. I chalked it up to a Mail.app hiccup.
>> Now I’m intrigued as to how it got separated. Curious to see what the
>> Mailman archive page shows.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Apr 5, 2019, at 11:06 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Greg,
>>>
>>> It was "hijacked" in the sense that you seem to have started it by
>> replying to
>>> John Ralls' reply on the "help lost data file" thread. So my mail client
>> did
>>> hide your message in that thread. Apparently that also happened for
>> Frank.
>>>
>>> Of course I can't *know* what you did exactly. It just *looks* like this
>> is
>>> what you did: take an existing message, hit reply (or reply to
>> list/all),
>>> change subject and body, send. That would cause such a message to end up
>>> hidden in the original thread.
>>>
>>> In any case I also didn't immediately see your message.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Geert

>> errors?

>> use.

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0

>> couldn't

>> save

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
Hi John - when I follow your directions and use “show view options” I don’t find any option of show library file.  Perhaps I’m not looking in the correct place.  In Finder, I use the find command which open a box, which I presume is my home directory, click on the “gear”, and select “show view options.”  I attach a couple of screen shots of what I see

Kind regards,

Eric W. Rathhaus
Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
Oakland, CA 94610
415.577.0920 tel
415.737.0603 fax

www.ewrlaw.com

Confidentiality :

The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 8:13 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I deliberately wrote them generically. Since you've now specified the OS I can further explain that you'll find the book folder in ~/Library/Application Support/gnucash and that TextEdit is perfectly fine for examining the contents of the directories. In order to get Finder to look in ~/Library you'll need to go to your home directory, click the gear icon in the toolbar, select "Show View Options" and select "Show Library Folder", the last checkbox.
>
> You'll have more success searching for filenames with Finder than with Spotlight; the latter looks at file metadata and contents rather than file names.

>> On Apr 2, 2019, at 5:39 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, John.  I’m using a Mac. Will your directions still apply?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Eric W. Rathhaus
>> Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
>> 484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
>> Oakland, CA 94610
>> 415.577.0920 tel
>> 415.737.0603 fax
>>
>> www.ewrlaw.com
>>
>> Confidentiality :
>>
>> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.
>>

>>> On Apr 2, 2019, at 5:02 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The books directory in GNC_DATA_DIR (see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations to see where that is on your OS) will have a file named after each one that you've had open with a .gcm extension instead of .gnucash. If you left registers open when you closed the .gnucash file the .gcm file will name the accounts for those registers, which might help you narrow down which is the one you want. Once you've figured that out you can use your OS's file-find utility to locate it.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

John Ralls-2
Finder displays that option only when the current directory is your home directory. That's the one in Users named after your user-id.

I see that you've installed GnuCash and Finance Quote Update to the MacintoshHD directory, aka root. This is unwise, you should move them to some subdirectory. Applications is a common choice. That also applies to other folders in MacintoshHD. Applications should go in the Applications folder and everything else should be in subdirectories of your Home folder.

> [...]
>>> 415.577.0920 tel
>>> 415.737.0603 fax
>>>
>>> www.ewrlaw.com
>>>
>>> Confidentiality :
>>>
>>> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

> <Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.58.04 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.58 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.44 PM.png>

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
Hi John - sorry to be so dense.  So those applications are old versions, I believe.  But I navigated to me as user and still no option of show library files appears.  I think I used to store the data in the fold err office data, but all the files in that directory or old.  No matter where I’ve looked, the only files I find that are recent are .log files.  I can’t find any newer files with the .gnucash or the .gcm extensions.  I’m lost here and the tax man is breathing down my neck.

> [...]

>>> Yes, I deliberately wrote them generically. Since you've now specified the OS I can further explain that you'll find the book folder in ~/Library/Application Support/gnucash and that TextEdit is perfectly fine for examining the contents of the directories. In order to get Finder to look in ~/Library you'll need to go to your home directory, click the gear icon in the toolbar, select "Show View Options" and select "Show Library Folder", the last checkbox.
>>>
>>> You'll have more success searching for filenames with Finder than with Spotlight; the latter looks at file metadata and contents rather than file names.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

>> <Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.58.04 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.58 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.44 PM.png>

Michael or Penny Novack
On 4/8/2019 5:44 PM, Eric Rathhaus office wrote:
> Hi John - sorry to be so dense.  So those applications are old versions, I believe.  But I navigated to me as user and still no option of show library files appears.  I think I used to store the data in the fold err office data, but all the files in that directory or old.  No matter where I’ve looked, the only files I find that are recent are .log files.  I can’t find any newer files with the .gnucash or the .gcm extensions.  I’m lost here and the tax man is breathing down my neck.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric W. Rathhaus
  You say you found recent .log files? In what directory?(file folder)

Gnucash will be placing the .log files in the same directory as the main
file. But what did you CALL (name) your main file? The name ends in
.gnucash BY CONVENTION, you normally name them to do so, But there is
nothing magic about file extensions. They are just a way that you can
have your system know what application to use to open them when you
click on them. And to make it easy for you to recognize them.

Understand what I just said? If I created a set of books and at the
first save (the "save as") I chose a name that did NOT end with the file
extension nothing terrible happens. Gnucash will still open that file
correctly, either from the drop down list of "recently used" or if I
choose "open" and then specify the file by path/name. What I CAN'T do is
simply click on it because without the extension the s system doesn't
know what to do with it << depending on operating system, you might get
asked "what application do you want to use >>

Michael

PS: In the directory where you found the recent .log files look for
another file with the same last changed date as the most recent .log file

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

1. Navigate to your home directory.
2. View > Show View Options. (or CMD-J)
3. You’ll see the last option box to “Show Library Folder”
4. Check the box.

You might also be able to get to the Library folder directly via SHIFT-CMD-L

> On Apr 8, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John - sorry to be so dense.  So those applications are old versions, I believe.  But I navigated to me as user and still no option of show library files appears.  I think I used to store the data in the fold err office data, but all the files in that directory or old.  No matter where I’ve looked, the only files I find that are recent are .log files.  I can’t find any newer files with the .gnucash or the .gcm extensions.  I’m lost here and the tax man is breathing down my neck.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric W. Rathhaus

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

John Ralls-2
Adrien,

That's exactly what he hasn't been able to do.

> On Apr 8, 2019, at 3:57 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1. Navigate to your home directory.
> 2. View > Show View Options. (or CMD-J)
> 3. You’ll see the last option box to “Show Library Folder”
> 4. Check the box.
>
> You might also be able to get to the Library folder directly via SHIFT-CMD-L
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Apr 8, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John - sorry to be so dense.  So those applications are old versions, I believe.  But I navigated to me as user and still no option of show library files appears.  I think I used to store the data in the fold err office data, but all the files in that directory or old.  No matter where I’ve looked, the only files I find that are recent are .log files.  I can’t find any newer files with the .gnucash or the .gcm extensions.  I’m lost here and the tax man is breathing down my neck.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Eric W. Rathhaus

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Interesting. A little experimentation finds that it's not sufficient to just select the home directory, you must have the home directory as the primary view in Finder. If you're using Icon or List view you can double-click on your home directory to make it primary. If you're in column view you can either switch temporarily to one of the others or you can drag your home directory to the sidebar and then click on it there.

There's another way, though: Select Go>Go to Folder... from the menu and then type into the dialog box ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash and click Go.

> [...]
>>> 415.577.0920 tel
>>> 415.737.0603 fax
>>>
>>> www.ewrlaw.com
>>>
>>> Confidentiality :
>>>
>>> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

>>> <Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.58.04 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.58 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.44 PM.png>

Sorry, I thought I read from his description he was looking elsewhere. My misunderstanding.

> On Apr 8, 2019, at 6:01 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>
> That's exactly what he hasn't been able to do.

>> On Apr 8, 2019, at 3:57 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Navigate to your home directory.
>> 2. View > Show View Options. (or CMD-J)
>> 3. You’ll see the last option box to “Show Library Folder”
>> 4. Check the box.
>>
>> You might also be able to get to the Library folder directly via SHIFT-CMD-L
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Apr 8, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi John - sorry to be so dense.  So those applications are old versions, I believe.  But I navigated to me as user and still no option of show library files appears.  I think I used to store the data in the fold err office data, but all the files in that directory or old.  No matter where I’ve looked, the only files I find that are recent are .log files.  I can’t find any newer files with the .gnucash or the .gcm extensions.  I’m lost here and the tax man is breathing down my neck.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Eric W. Rathhaus

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

I just noticed that myself. I was in column view and had navigated to my home folder, but the previous (higher level) columns were still visible and that option was not available. Only when I double-clicked my home folder did it appear.  Perhaps Eric was experiencing the same thing?

> On Apr 8, 2019, at 6:09 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting. A little experimentation finds that it's not sufficient to just select the home directory, you must have the home directory as the primary view in Finder. If you're using Icon or List view you can double-click on your home directory to make it primary. If you're in column view you can either switch temporarily to one of the others or you can drag your home directory to the sidebar and then click on it there.
>
> There's another way, though: Select Go>Go to Folder... from the menu and then type into the dialog box ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash and click Go.

>> On Apr 8, 2019, at 2:44 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John - sorry to be so dense.  So those applications are old versions, I believe.  But I navigated to me as user and still no option of show library files appears.  I think I used to store the data in the fold err office data, but all the files in that directory or old.  No matter where I’ve looked, the only files I find that are recent are .log files.  I can’t find any newer files with the .gnucash or the .gcm extensions.  I’m lost here and the tax man is breathing down my neck.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Eric W. Rathhaus

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
So I used the go to command and got the first screen shot.  opening the book folder and I get the second screen shot.  It’s odd that there are so few files as I’ve used this program since 2012.  And when I tried to open any of the recent gcm files, I get nothing or it says a suitable back up can’t be found.  I getting concerned that something terriblest wrong happened and that I need to restore from archived cloud version, much data.

> [...]

>>> On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:12 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Finder displays that option only when the current directory is your home directory. That's the one in Users named after your user-id.
>>>
>>> I see that you've installed GnuCash and Finance Quote Update to the MacintoshHD directory, aka root. This is unwise, you should move them to some subdirectory. Applications is a common choice. That also applies to other folders in MacintoshHD. Applications should go in the Applications folder and everything else should be in subdirectories of your Home folder.

Fred Bone
On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 22:55, Eric Rathhaus office said:

> So I used the go to command and got the first screen shot.  opening the
> book folder and I get the second screen shot.  It’s odd that there are
> so few files as I’ve used this program since 2012.  And when I tried to
> open any of the recent gcm files, I get nothing or it says a suitable back
> up can’t be found.  I getting concerned that something terriblest wrong
> happened and that I need to restore from archived cloud version, much
> data.

You should not be trying to open .gcm files, least of all with Gnucash
itself. Or indeed anything else in the same directory as the .gcm files.

However, the filename will give you a clue as to the name of your data
file, which should be elsewhere.

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Colin Law
If you have found the log files then the accounts file will almost
certainly be in the same folder.  Sort all the files by date and it
should be there with the log files generated when you last edited it.

Colin

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 22:46, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> 415.577.0920 tel
> >> 415.737.0603 fax
> >>
> >> www.ewrlaw.com
> >>
> >> Confidentiality :
> >>
> >> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

> >> <Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.58.04 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.58 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.57.44 PM.png>

The number of files is if anything too big. The most usual case would be only one because most people have only one book.

1. test.gnucash.gcm Mar 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2. MACS.gnucash.gcm Mar 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM
3. MACS.gnucash_2.gcm Mar 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM
4. ewrofficedata.gnucash.rev.gnucash.gcm Aug 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM
5. ewrofficedata.gnucash.gcm Apr 5, 2019 at 11:21 PM
6. ewrofficedata.gnucash.20131111160900.gnucash.gcm Mar 31, 2019 at 5:03 PM
7. ewrofficedata.gnucash.20130806193744.gnucash.gcm Aug 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
8. ewrofficedata.gnucash.20130806193744.gnucash.20130807120014.log.gnucash.gcm Today
9. ewrofficedata.gnucash_2.gcm Aug 6 2013 at 8:34 PM
10 ewrofficedata copy.gnucash.gcm Mar 31, 2019 at 5:10 PM

You wrote your first post at 5:20 PM on March 31, so the file that you had open immediately before that was #10, and the one before *that* was #6. Notice that that's a backup file from 2013, so you apparently have been working in that one for the last 5+ years.

You obviously don't want to open the .gcm file, it's ewrofficedata.gnucash.20131111160900.gnucash that you want to open. It's probably in the same folder as the others. Once you've confirmed that I suggest that you make a new directory and use Save As to save it to the new directory as ewrofficedata.gnucash, then delete the old directory. GnuCash will notice that it can't find the other files in your history list and ask if you want to remove them. Tell it yes. Adjust your backups as necessary to include the new directory and exclude the old one and you're set.

> [...]
>>> Oakland, CA 94610
>>> 415.577.0920 tel
>>> 415.737.0603 fax
>>>
>>> www.ewrlaw.com
>>>
>>> Confidentiality :
>>>
>>> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

> <Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.51.11 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.51.05 PM.png>

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
Eureka! Thanks John. Yes I opened the file you noted and found the data.  I made a new folder “gnu data” and saved the files as ewrofficedata.gnu.  But maybe I erred in that the folder is a subdirectory of the old folder with the files you suggest I delete.  Where should I locate the new folder?

> [...]

>>> On Apr 8, 2019, at 4:09 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting. A little experimentation finds that it's not sufficient to just select the home directory, you must have the home directory as the primary view in Finder. If you're using Icon or List view you can double-click on your home directory to make it primary. If you're in column view you can either switch temporarily to one of the others or you can drag your home directory to the sidebar and then click on it there.
>>>
>>> There's another way, though: Select Go>Go to Folder... from the menu and then type into the dialog box ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash and click Go.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

>> <Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.51.11 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.51.05 PM.png>

Eric,

I keep mine in an encrypted dmg that I back up to Google Drive. You can put yours wherever you like, just make sure that it gets routinely backed up, ideally including offsite. $HOME/Documents/Gnucash seems an obvious choice if you have your Documents folder in your backup set.

> [...]
>>> Oakland, CA 94610
>>> 415.577.0920 tel
>>> 415.737.0603 fax
>>>
>>> www.ewrlaw.com
>>>
>>> Confidentiality :
>>>
>>> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

>>> <Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.51.11 PM.png><Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.51.05 PM.png>

My whole drive is backed up on the cloud and on a local external hard drive.  currently, the files resides in /ewr office data/gnu data/.  You suggested deleting the entire folder /ewr office data/.  To do this action, I need to move the gnu data folder.  I’m wondering where I should put it.

> [...]

>>> You wrote your first post at 5:20 PM on March 31, so the file that you had open immediately before that was #10, and the one before *that* was #6. Notice that that's a backup file from 2013, so you apparently have been working in that one for the last 5+ years.
>>>
>>> You obviously don't want to open the .gcm file, it's ewrofficedata.gnucash.20131111160900.gnucash that you want to open. It's probably in the same folder as the others. Once you've confirmed that I suggest that you make a new directory and use Save As to save it to the new directory as ewrofficedata.gnucash, then delete the old directory. GnuCash will notice that it can't find the other files in your history list and ask if you want to remove them. Tell it yes. Adjust your backups as necessary to include the new directory and exclude the old one and you're set.

Art Chimes
I have a general suggestion to the problem for Windows users.

The must frequently-used, helpful, can't-do-without utility I have on
my system is called Everything. In the blink of an eye it displays
every file matching your specified filename search criterion.

Type <*.gnucash> in the search box (without the brackets) and you'll
get every file on your system ending in .gnucash with the usual
directory information: size, date modified, path, etc.

Everything is not only my go-to tool to find a file when I don't
remember — or failed to notice — what directory it was saved in. It's
also valuable for navigating to a file when you know the location
since I can usually type the file name (or enough of it) faster than I
can click through the directory tree. Example: I'm looking for last
month's MegaCharge credit card statement. I type "2019 Mega" and with
no perceptible delay it will show me all the files on my computer that
have "2019" and "Mega" in their name. (Everything indexes filename
only. Content and some limited metadata searching, e.g. id3 tags, but
it's not indexed and can be very slow.)

Freeware at https://www.voidtools.com/

(Information provided to assist fellow GnuCash users who have
misplaced their data or other files. I have no connection with
Everything or Void Tools except as a happy user.)

Art
123