[GNC] help lost data file

123

[GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
Hello - I just downloaded version 3.4. When I opened for 1st time, everything was fine and I began entering transactions into an account ledger.  I wanted to save these transactions but the save button was greyed out.  I thought maybe I needed to point to the correct data file.  When I used “open” from the file menu, and pend the normal base data file, it in fact was old and had no transactions after 2013.  Now I cannot find my data.  All suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Eric W. Rathhaus
Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
Oakland, CA 94610
415.577.0920 tel
415.737.0603 fax

www.ewrlaw.com

Confidentiality :

The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

John Ralls

> On Mar 31, 2019, at 5:17 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello - I just downloaded version 3.4. When I opened for 1st time, everything was fine and I began entering transactions into an account ledger.  I wanted to save these transactions but the save button was greyed out.  I thought maybe I needed to point to the correct data file.  When I used “open” from the file menu, and pend the normal base data file, it in fact was old and had no transactions after 2013.  Now I cannot find my data.  All suggestions welcome.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric W. Rathhaus
> Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
> 484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
> Oakland, CA 94610
> 415.577.0920 tel
> 415.737.0603 fax
>
> www.ewrlaw.com
>
> Confidentiality :
>
> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

When you started GnuCash it opened the last file you had used. If you entered transactions into it and that didn't light up the "save" button then you were using a SQL backend, probably SQLite3 because otherwise you would have been asked for a password. When you opened the other file that closed the one you were working on.

No matter, just click the File menu. At the bottom you'll find the last files you used up to 4 in order of use. Just pick the second one on the list and it will be your "other" file.

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
Thanks, John.  My only problem is that I tried opening various files to see if I could find the correct one so that the the “good” file won’t be on the list of four.  Any other ways to find it?

> [...]

> When you started GnuCash it opened the last file you had used. If you entered transactions into it and that didn't light up the "save" button then you were using a SQL backend, probably SQLite3 because otherwise you would have been asked for a password. When you opened the other file that closed the one you were working on.
>
> No matter, just click the File menu. At the bottom you'll find the last files you used up to 4 in order of use. Just pick the second one on the list and it will be your "other" file.

John Ralls-2
The books directory in GNC_DATA_DIR (see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations to see where that is on your OS) will have a file named after each one that you've had open with a .gcm extension instead of .gnucash. If you left registers open when you closed the .gnucash file the .gcm file will name the accounts for those registers, which might help you narrow down which is the one you want. Once you've figured that out you can use your OS's file-find utility to locate it.

> [...]
>>>

>> When you started GnuCash it opened the last file you had used. If you entered transactions into it and that didn't light up the "save" button then you were using a SQL backend, probably SQLite3 because otherwise you would have been asked for a password. When you opened the other file that closed the one you were working on.
>>
>> No matter, just click the File menu. At the bottom you'll find the last files you used up to 4 in order of use. Just pick the second one on the list and it will be your "other" file.

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Eric Rathhaus office
Thanks, John.  I’m using a Mac. Will your directions still apply?

> [...]

>>> When you started GnuCash it opened the last file you had used. If you entered transactions into it and that didn't light up the "save" button then you were using a SQL backend, probably SQLite3 because otherwise you would have been asked for a password. When you opened the other file that closed the one you were working on.
>>>
>>> No matter, just click the File menu. At the bottom you'll find the last files you used up to 4 in order of use. Just pick the second one on the list and it will be your "other" file.

[GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis

I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.

I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to this
directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me an
error message.

"You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.

Please try again in a different directory."  (close)

Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0

Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange graphic
like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.

It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't be
parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
path that the old series was capable of.

Sorry if this is already a known issue

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Re: [GNC] help lost data file

Yes, I deliberately wrote them generically. Since you've now specified the OS I can further explain that you'll find the book folder in ~/Library/Application Support/gnucash and that TextEdit is perfectly fine for examining the contents of the directories. In order to get Finder to look in ~/Library you'll need to go to your home directory, click the gear icon in the toolbar, select "Show View Options" and select "Show Library Folder", the last checkbox.

You'll have more success searching for filenames with Finder than with Spotlight; the latter looks at file metadata and contents rather than file names.

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 5:39 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, John.  I’m using a Mac. Will your directions still apply?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric W. Rathhaus
> Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
> 484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
> Oakland, CA 94610
> 415.577.0920 tel
> 415.737.0603 fax
>
> www.ewrlaw.com
>
> Confidentiality :
>
> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.
>

>> On Apr 2, 2019, at 5:02 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The books directory in GNC_DATA_DIR (see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations to see where that is on your OS) will have a file named after each one that you've had open with a .gcm extension instead of .gnucash. If you left registers open when you closed the .gnucash file the .gcm file will name the accounts for those registers, which might help you narrow down which is the one you want. Once you've figured that out you can use your OS's file-find utility to locate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>>> On Apr 2, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Eric Rathhaus office <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, John.  My only problem is that I tried opening various files to see if I could find the correct one so that the the “good” file won’t be on the list of four.  Any other ways to find it?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Eric W. Rathhaus
>>> Law Office of Eric W. Rathhaus
>>> 484 Lake Park Avenue, Suite 50
>>> Oakland, CA 94610
>>> 415.577.0920 tel
>>> 415.737.0603 fax
>>>
>>> www.ewrlaw.com
>>>
>>> Confidentiality :
>>>
>>> The information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the information in this message, and/or the name(s) of the person(s) it is addressed to, is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by returning this email to us.  If that is not possible, we will reimburse you for any costs in returning this message to us through other means.

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis
Is there some other gnucash list I should use to report program errors?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
>
> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
> this directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me
> an error message.
>
> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
>
> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
>

> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
>
> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange graphic
> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
>
> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't be
> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
> worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
> path that the old series was capable of.
>
> Sorry if this is already a known issue
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Stephen M. Butler
On 4/4/19 8:28 AM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> Is there some other gnucash list I should use to report program errors?

Nope.  This should do it.  I don't remember seeing the earlier email so
it may have been missed by others also.

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
>>
>> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
>> this directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me
>> an error message.
>>
>> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
>> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
>>
>> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
>>

>> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
>>
>> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange graphic
>> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
>>
>> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't be
>> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
>> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
>> worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
>> path that the old series was capable of.
>>
>> Sorry if this is already a known issue
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Colin Law
What is the path above the section you have shown?

Colin

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 01:46, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
>
> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to this
> directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me an
> error message.
>
> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
>
> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
>

> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
>
> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange graphic
> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
>
> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't be
> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
> worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
> path that the old series was capable of.
>
> Sorry if this is already a known issue
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis
The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)

The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and was:

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
8:01AM)

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
(4/1/2019 7:59AM)

Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file name
test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
shortening the path like this until it did save, which was as follows:

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash

Kind regards,
Greg Feneis

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the path above the section you have shown?
>
> Colin
>
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 01:46, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
> >
> > I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
> this
> > directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me an
> > error message.
> >
> > "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
> > This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
> >
> > Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
> >

> > Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
> >
> > Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange
> graphic
> > like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
> >
> > It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't
> be
> > parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
> > path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
> > worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
> > path that the old series was capable of.
> >
> > Sorry if this is already a known issue
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Ronal B Morse-2
This probably doesn't have anything to do with your issue, but I've
never been a fan of spaces in paths/filenames.  Back in the olde days it
wasn't allowed. I gather that's changed, but it still strikes me as bad
juju.

I'm a Linux guy and even though I guess we can use spaces we have to
delimit them in quote marks, so it's just easier to forgo the space or
use an underscore character as a separator instead.

Windows should be able to handle file path statements of 247 (or
thereabouts) characters. I don't thing the length of the string is the
problem.

Ron Morse

On 4/4/19 2:34 PM, Greg Feneis wrote:

> The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)
>
> The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and was:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
> 8:01AM)
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
> (4/1/2019 7:59AM)
>
> Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file name
> test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
> folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
> shortening the path like this until it did save, which was as follows:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash
>

> Kind regards,
> Greg Feneis
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the path above the section you have shown?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 01:46, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
>>>
>>> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
>> this
>>> directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me an
>>> error message.
>>>
>>> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
>>> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
>>>
>>> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
>>>

>>> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
>>>
>>> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange
>> graphic
>>> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
>>>
>>> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't
>> be
>>> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
>>> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
>>> worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
>>> path that the old series was capable of.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is already a known issue
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis
Thanks for all the info, Ron.

I don't disagree with anything you've written, except that I've been using
spaces in folder and file names on windows computers since the late 20th
century.  The olden days are over.  I'm glad you found a work around for
naming files and folders in Linux without using spaces.

It remains that GnuCash 2.6.21 and previous versions, regularly saved a
path and file name that contained spaces and was usually around 100 chars
long.  Whereas 3.5 behaved as if it was unable to do so until the path
length was reduced substantially.  It should be capable of saving a path
more than twice as long as what I was attempting to do, if it were
compliant with window's path length specs.  That's why I reported it.  If
GnuCash is not capable of that path length or anything else WRT
construction of the path, the error message(s) it gives the user should be
appropriate to the violation.  The message I received was not.

So there are three things I'm tryna report on this.  1. GnuCash 3.5 seems
to require an abnormally short path length.  2. When I exceeded the length
I tried GnuCash presented an error message that indicated I was trying to
save to a location reserved by GnuCash (inappropriate error message).  3.
Even though the error message was inappropriate, within the message,
GnuCash tried to display the path as part of the error message, it
apparently couldn't do that.

I think this is a great program and when I find things like this I like to
report them because I feel like I'm contributing to the sw development.

What do base your doubt of the path length being the problem on?

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:51 PM Ronal B Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This probably doesn't have anything to do with your issue, but I've
> never been a fan of spaces in paths/filenames.  Back in the olde days it
> wasn't allowed. I gather that's changed, but it still strikes me as bad
> juju.
>
> I'm a Linux guy and even though I guess we can use spaces we have to
> delimit them in quote marks, so it's just easier to forgo the space or
> use an underscore character as a separator instead.
>
> Windows should be able to handle file path statements of 247 (or
> thereabouts) characters. I don't thing the length of the string is the
> problem.
>
> Ron Morse
>
> On 4/4/19 2:34 PM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> > The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> > Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)
> >
> > The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and
> was:
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> > Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
> > 8:01AM)
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> > Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
> > (4/1/2019 7:59AM)
> >
> > Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file
> name
> > test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
> > folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
> > shortening the path like this until it did save, which was as follows:
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash
> >

> > Kind regards,
> > Greg Feneis
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> What is the path above the section you have shown?
> >>
> >> Colin

> >> this
> an

> thereof.

> >> graphic

> >> be
> it
> length

> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Am 04.04.19 um 17:28 schrieb Greg Feneis:
> Is there some other gnucash list I should use to report program errors?

Yes, Greg,
read https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla for the details.

BTW: Next time instead of hijacking other threads start a new one. ;-)

Regards frank

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
>>
>> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
>> this directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me
>> an error message.
>>
>> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
>> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
>>
>> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
>>

>> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
>>
>> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange graphic
>> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
>>
>> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't be
>> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
>> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
>> worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
>> path that the old series was capable of.
>>
>> Sorry if this is already a known issue
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis
Hi Frank,

I started this thread. I've been driving this thread since I started it.
What made you think I hijacked?

I was aware of bugzilla, but it's not an email list.  I had some concern
that the process had changed from when I last monitored this list many
months ago.  Previously an error like this gets discussed, and someone, a
developer or person who works more closely with the project, asks the
reporter to log it to bugzilla.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:43 PM Frank H. Ellenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 04.04.19 um 17:28 schrieb Greg Feneis:
> > Is there some other gnucash list I should use to report program errors?
> >

> Yes, Greg,
> read https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla for the details.
>
> BTW: Next time instead of hijacking other threads start a new one. ;-)
>
> Regards frank
>

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
> >>
> >> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
> >> this directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it
> gives me
> >> an error message.
> >>
> >> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory
> thereof.
> >> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
> >>
> >> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
> >>

> >> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
> >>
> >> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange
> graphic
> >> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
> >>
> >> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't
> be
> >> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save
> >> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it
> >> worked.  FSR, the new GnuCash seem like it can't save to the same length
> >> path that the old series was capable of.
> >>
> >> Sorry if this is already a known issue
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >>
> >> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Geert Janssens-4
Hi Greg,

It was "hijacked" in the sense that you seem to have started it by replying to
John Ralls' reply on the "help lost data file" thread. So my mail client did
hide your message in that thread. Apparently that also happened for Frank.

Of course I can't *know* what you did exactly. It just *looks* like this is
what you did: take an existing message, hit reply (or reply to list/all),
change subject and body, send. That would cause such a message to end up
hidden in the original thread.

In any case I also didn't immediately see your message.

Op vrijdag 5 april 2019 15:56:24 CEST schreef Greg Feneis:

> Hi Frank,
>
> I started this thread. I've been driving this thread since I started it.
> What made you think I hijacked?
>
> I was aware of bugzilla, but it's not an email list.  I had some concern
> that the process had changed from when I last monitored this list many
> months ago.  Previously an error like this gets discussed, and someone, a
> developer or person who works more closely with the project, asks the
> reporter to log it to bugzilla.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
>

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:43 PM Frank H. Ellenberger <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am 04.04.19 um 17:28 schrieb Greg Feneis:
> > > Is there some other gnucash list I should use to report program errors?
> >
> > Yes, Greg,
> > read https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla for the details.
> >
> > BTW: Next time instead of hijacking other threads start a new one. ;-)
> >
> > Regards frank
> >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

> > gives me

> > thereof.

> > graphic

> > be

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >
> > > -----

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Adrien Monteleone-2
It threaded that way for me as well. But then once the first reply came back, it somehow magically decoupled. I chalked it up to a Mail.app hiccup. Now I’m intrigued as to how it got separated. Curious to see what the Mailman archive page shows.

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 11:06 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> It was "hijacked" in the sense that you seem to have started it by replying to
> John Ralls' reply on the "help lost data file" thread. So my mail client did
> hide your message in that thread. Apparently that also happened for Frank.
>
> Of course I can't *know* what you did exactly. It just *looks* like this is
> what you did: take an existing message, hit reply (or reply to list/all),
> change subject and body, send. That would cause such a message to end up
> hidden in the original thread.
>
> In any case I also didn't immediately see your message.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> Op vrijdag 5 april 2019 15:56:24 CEST schreef Greg Feneis:
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> I started this thread. I've been driving this thread since I started it.
>> What made you think I hijacked?
>>
>> I was aware of bugzilla, but it's not an email list.  I had some concern
>> that the process had changed from when I last monitored this list many
>> months ago.  Previously an error like this gets discussed, and someone, a
>> developer or person who works more closely with the project, asks the
>> reporter to log it to bugzilla.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:43 PM Frank H. Ellenberger <
>>
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, Greg,
>>> read https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla for the details.
>>>
>>> BTW: Next time instead of hijacking other threads start a new one. ;-)
>>>
>>> Regards frank

>>> gives me

>>> thereof.

>>> graphic

>>> be

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

chris graves
As a test on Windows 10, I made the following directory hierarchy, tried
saving and got the same error.
C:\Users\chris\Documents\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash Files

After I renamed "Thorough C & D" to "Thorough C and D", the save worked
just fine.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > shortening the path like this until it did save, which was as follows:
> > >
> > > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash
> > >

> > > Kind regards,
> > > Greg Feneis

> me
> > an

> > thereof.
> use.

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0

> couldn't
> save
> > it
> > length

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

nvsoar
On 04/05/19 13:14, Chris Graves wrote:
> As a test on Windows 10, I made the following directory hierarchy, tried
> saving and got the same error.
> C:\Users\chris\Documents\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash Files
>
> After I renamed "Thorough C & D" to "Thorough C and D", the save worked
> just fine.
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

snip
For info - See
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file
for acceptable characters in Win 10 file names - '&' is a reserved
character.
nvsoar

nvsoar wrote:

For info - See
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file
for acceptable characters in Win 10 file names - '&' is a reserved
character.

Thanks for the link, but I can't find where it mentions & is a reserved
character.

I found this, though:

Use any character in the current code page for a name, including Unicode
characters and characters in the extended character set (128–255), except
for the following:

   -

   The following reserved characters:
   - < (less than)
      -

      (greater than)

      - : (colon)
      - " (double quote)
      - / (forward slash)
      - \ (backslash)
      - | (vertical bar or pipe)
      - ? (question mark)
      - * (asterisk)

It used to work on 2.6.21.  It still saves to a path with "thorough c & d"
in it, but the path needs to be shorter FSR.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 1:40 PM nvsoar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/05/19 13:14, Chris Graves wrote:
> > As a test on Windows 10, I made the following directory hierarchy, tried
> > saving and got the same error.
> > C:\Users\chris\Documents\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash Files
> >
> > After I renamed "Thorough C & D" to "Thorough C and D", the save worked
> > just fine.
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> snip
> For info - See
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file
> for acceptable characters in Win 10 file names - '&' is a reserved
> character.
> nvsoar

123