[GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

[GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Christopher Lam
Wish to canvas opinion on what is considered best practice for the
following real-data simulations, for rebuilding owner-report and
aging-report. This illustrates current buggy behaviour.

* I have a $100 customer invoice, posted- and due-dates 6 weeks ago.
* I have a $50 credit-note to same customer, posted and due-dates are 2
weeks ago.

Intuitively the customer owes $50. But I haven't formally yet linked the
credit-note to the invoice though. The $100 invoice is still unpaid

Attachments show:
* the Customer Report counts the $100 and $50 separately into separate
owing date ranges.
* the Receivables Aging report shows the CN $50 was automatically used to
fund the $100 invoice, via FIFO (paying oldest invoice first).

Which behaviour should we standardise on?

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

image.png (53K) Download Attachment
image.png (22K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Christopher Lam
A corollary query is how to report on overpayments in the aging-table

* the Customer Report counts overpayments as negative amounts
* the Receivables Aging report shows $0 owed by customer

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 08:56, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wish to canvas opinion on what is considered best practice for the
> following real-data simulations, for rebuilding owner-report and
> aging-report. This illustrates current buggy behaviour.
>
> * I have a $100 customer invoice, posted- and due-dates 6 weeks ago.
> * I have a $50 credit-note to same customer, posted and due-dates are 2
> weeks ago.
>
> Intuitively the customer owes $50. But I haven't formally yet linked the
> credit-note to the invoice though. The $100 invoice is still unpaid
>
> Attachments show:
> * the Customer Report counts the $100 and $50 separately into separate
> owing date ranges.
> * the Receivables Aging report shows the CN $50 was automatically used to
> fund the $100 invoice, via FIFO (paying oldest invoice first).
>
> Which behaviour should we standardise on?
>

> [image: image.png]
>
> [image: image.png]

image.png (53K) Download Attachment
image.png (22K) Download Attachment
image.png (72K) Download Attachment
image.png (34K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Derek Atkins-3
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> writes:

> A corollary query is how to report on overpayments in the aging-table
>
> * the Customer Report counts overpayments as negative amounts
> * the Receivables Aging report shows $0 owed by customer

IMHO, this behavior is correct.  If the Customer has overpaid then you
have $0 Receivables from that customer.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Christopher Lam
Yes, I agree. On that count aging.scm wins.
What about Credit-Notes; should they automatically be applied to invoices
in the aging-table?
Sneak preview next gen aging report:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1975870/61539513-36ba3780-aa2b-11e9-89d8-c1c35d945a04.png

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 13:15, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > A corollary query is how to report on overpayments in the aging-table
> >
> > * the Customer Report counts overpayments as negative amounts
> > * the Receivables Aging report shows $0 owed by customer
>
> IMHO, this behavior is correct.  If the Customer has overpaid then you
> have $0 Receivables from that customer.

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Derek Atkins-3
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes, I agree. On that count aging.scm wins.
> What about Credit-Notes; should they automatically be applied to invoices in
> the aging-table?
> Sneak preview next gen aging report:
> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1975870/61539513-36ba3780-aa2b-11e9-89d8-c1c35d945a04.png

That's a good question, but I don't have a good answer.  Arguably if the
credit note isn't applied then the report might want to separate them
out in a way to let them know that there is an unapplied credit.  I'm
not sure GnuCash should assume which invoice to apply it to.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Christopher Lam
In this case, I think there is a strong argument that credit-notes must be
ignored in the generation of aging-table? And this would apply for
customer/job/vendor/employee aging tables, therefore only applying payment
using credit-note will reduce the balances? Advantage is there will be no
negative numbers in aging table.

In any case I'd think both owner-report and aging must be consistent.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 14:11, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Yes, I agree. On that count aging.scm wins.
> > What about Credit-Notes; should they automatically be applied to
> invoices in
> > the aging-table?
> > Sneak preview next gen aging report:
> >
> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1975870/61539513-36ba3780-aa2b-11e9-89d8-c1c35d945a04.png
>
> That's a good question, but I don't have a good answer.  Arguably if the
> credit note isn't applied then the report might want to separate them
> out in a way to let them know that there is an unapplied credit.  I'm
> not sure GnuCash should assume which invoice to apply it to.

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Derek Atkins-3
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> writes:

> In this case, I think there is a strong argument that credit-notes must be
> ignored in the generation of aging-table? And this would apply for customer/
> job/vendor/employee aging tables, therefore only applying payment using
> credit-note will reduce the balances? Advantage is there will be no negative
> numbers in aging table.

I would say "unattached" credit notes should be ignored.  If it's
attached as a payment then obviously it should be included.

> In any case I'd think both owner-report and aging must be consistent.

MAYBE..  But not necessarily.  The aging report is more for the
business, whereas the customer report is designed to actually be sent to
the customer.  So they might not need to be 100% consistent.  And
indeed, I would suggest the customer report should be sure to contain
ALL transactions, whereas aging can ignore certain types.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 10:11 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> In any case I'd think both owner-report and aging must be consistent.
>
> MAYBE..  But not necessarily.  The aging report is more for the
> business, whereas the customer report is designed to actually be sent to
> the customer.  So they might not need to be 100% consistent.  And
> indeed, I would suggest the customer report should be sure to contain
> ALL transactions, whereas aging can ignore certain types.

I would certainly agree here. If credits are simply ‘left off’ this report, the very first question a customer will have will be about their credit notes. This report is the closest equivalent to a Statement of Account. It should contain everything.

I can see it could get messy with the aging table, so that should likely be just positive balances outstanding. Or, include the credit notes here as well, but age them just like an invoice, don’t ‘apply’ them to an invoice.

A third possible option —does it make sense to show a separate aging table for credit notes if any?

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 19/07/2019 09:56, Christopher Lam wrote:

> Wish to canvas opinion on what is considered best practice for the
> following real-data simulations, for rebuilding owner-report and
> aging-report. This illustrates current buggy behaviour.
>
> * I have a $100 customer invoice, posted- and due-dates 6 weeks ago.
> * I have a $50 credit-note to same customer, posted and due-dates are 2
> weeks ago.
>
> Intuitively the customer owes $50. But I haven't formally yet linked the
> credit-note to the invoice though. The $100 invoice is still unpaid
>
> Attachments show:
> * the Customer Report counts the $100 and $50 separately into separate
> owing date ranges.
> * the Receivables Aging report shows the CN $50 was automatically used to
> fund the $100 invoice, via FIFO (paying oldest invoice first).
>
> Which behaviour should we standardise on?

accounting practice varies about this.

--
Wm

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Christopher,

I have some AR cleanup in-progress and your revised owner-report would come in handy matching up payments to invoices. I’ll be happy to report back any testing issues I encounter while using it.

I can’t seem to find your link in the list threads, can you provide a current link? (I have your github bookmarked but can’t seem to find where this particular report is buried)

Can I simply place it in my reports folder and load it or do I need to build maint first? Thanks.

> On Jul 19, 2019 w29d200, at 3:56 AM, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wish to canvas opinion on what is considered best practice for the
> following real-data simulations, for rebuilding owner-report and
> aging-report. This illustrates current buggy behaviour.
>
> * I have a $100 customer invoice, posted- and due-dates 6 weeks ago.
> * I have a $50 credit-note to same customer, posted and due-dates are 2
> weeks ago.
>
> Intuitively the customer owes $50. But I haven't formally yet linked the
> credit-note to the invoice though. The $100 invoice is still unpaid
>
> Attachments show:
> * the Customer Report counts the $100 and $50 separately into separate
> owing date ranges.
> * the Receivables Aging report shows the CN $50 was automatically used to
> fund the $100 invoice, via FIFO (paying oldest invoice first).
>
> Which behaviour should we standardise on?
>

> [image: image.png]
>
> [image: image.png]

Re: [GNC-dev] owner-report, receivables-aging etc

Christopher Lam
Hi Adrien
You're better off building from current maint. It'll be in
Reports/Experimental.
Thx for beta testing.