[GNC-dev] clang-format - thoughts ?

c.holtermann
Hello folks,

have there been thoughts about using a code formatter like clang-format
?
My brother is taking part in cmake development and he says that he has
included clang-format in his git deployment chain.

regards and merry christmas,

Christoph Holtermann

Re: [GNC-dev] clang-format - thoughts ?

John Ralls-2
Christoph,

We've occasionally run artistic style (https://astyle.sourceforge.net <https://astyle.sourceforge.net/>) when one of us gets really irritated with a lot of poor formatting, but it has been several years since anyone thought it necessary.

Is there something in particular that’s rubbing you the wrong way or are you looking for an alternative to setting up the coding style in your editor?

> On Dec 24, 2018, at 2:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>
> have there been thoughts about using a code formatter like clang-format ?
> My brother is taking part in cmake development and he says that he has
> included clang-format in his git deployment chain.
>
> regards and merry christmas,
>
> Christoph Holtermann

Re: [GNC-dev] clang-format - thoughts ?

c.holtermann
John,

it's more of a general question. I don't have something
specific. I tend to develop more sympathy towards
formatting rules lately and clang-format sounded interesting.

https://github.com/barisione/clang-format-hooks is an
example of clang-format as github hook.

As my main interest is python I am more interested
in formatting convention on that side anyway.

Just wanted to know if this topic had been discussed.

regards,

Christoph

Am 2018-12-25 01:33, schrieb John Ralls:

> Christoph,
>
> We've occasionally run artistic style (https://astyle.sourceforge.net) when one of us gets really irritated with a lot of poor formatting, but it has been several years since anyone thought it necessary.
>
> Is there something in particular that's rubbing you the wrong way or are you looking for an alternative to setting up the coding style in your editor?

>> On Dec 24, 2018, at 2:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> have there been thoughts about using a code formatter like clang-format ?
>> My brother is taking part in cmake development and he says that he has
>> included clang-format in his git deployment chain.
>>
>> regards and merry christmas,
>>
>> Christoph Holtermann

Re: [GNC-dev] clang-format - thoughts ?

Christopher Lam
 From a lisp viewpoint I was thinking of putting forward a coding style too!

I use emacs which does the following automatically:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Coding-Conventions.html#Coding-Conventions