[GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Hello,
I am requesting that someone with delete rights on the wiki remove
wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation
Note the "X" in the url; I have duplicated the content into
wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSInstallation
and changed all referring pages to this.  This is to match Apple's nomenclature.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 3 december 2018 12:32:56 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-devel:

> Hello,
> I am requesting that someone with delete rights on the wiki remove
> wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation
> Note the "X" in the url; I have duplicated the content into
> wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSInstallation
> and changed all referring pages to this.  This is to match Apple's
> nomenclature.  David

David,

Thanks for cleaning up. I have made the original page redirect to the renamed
page instead to avoid invalid links from outside of the wiki to this page.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Ah. Ok. I guess I could do that next time!

  On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 17:34, Geert Janssens<[hidden email]> wrote:   Op maandag 3 december 2018 12:32:56 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-devel:

> Hello,
> I am requesting that someone with delete rights on the wiki remove
> wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation
> Note the "X" in the url; I have duplicated the content into
> wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSInstallation
> and changed all referring pages to this.  This is to match Apple's
> nomenclature.  David

David,

Thanks for cleaning up. I have made the original page redirect to the renamed
page instead to avoid invalid links from outside of the wiki to this page.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Geert Janssens-4
I think the manual method is indeed available to you. I don't know if the
option to move a page is visible for you under the "More" menu. That's both a
shorthand way of doing it which deals a bit better with page history and
related talk pages.

Geert

Op maandag 3 december 2018 13:06:36 CET schreef David T.:
> Ah. Ok. I guess I could do that next time!
>
>   On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 17:34, Geert Janssens<[hidden email]>
wrote:   Op maandag 3 december 2018 12:32:56 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-
devel:

> > Hello,
> > I am requesting that someone with delete rights on the wiki remove
> > wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation
> > Note the "X" in the url; I have duplicated the content into
> > wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSInstallation
> > and changed all referring pages to this.  This is to match Apple's
> > nomenclature.  David

> David,
>
> Thanks for cleaning up. I have made the original page redirect to the
> renamed page instead to avoid invalid links from outside of the wiki to
> this page.
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Derek Atkins-3
I think the better option is to edit the page and leave it as a forward
reference to the new page.  That way it wont brak existing links.

-derek

On Mon, December 3, 2018 7:26 am, Geert Janssens wrote:

> I think the manual method is indeed available to you. I don't know if the
> option to move a page is visible for you under the "More" menu. That's
> both a
> shorthand way of doing it which deals a bit better with page history and
> related talk pages.
>
> Geert
>
> Op maandag 3 december 2018 13:06:36 CET schreef David T.:
>> Ah. Ok. I guess I could do that next time!
>>
>>   On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 17:34, Geert
>> Janssens<[hidden email]>
> wrote:   Op maandag 3 december 2018 12:32:56 CET schreef David T. via
> gnucash-
> devel:
>> > Hello,
>> > I am requesting that someone with delete rights on the wiki remove
>> > wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation
>> > Note the "X" in the url; I have duplicated the content into
>> > wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSInstallation
>> > and changed all referring pages to this.  This is to match Apple's
>> > nomenclature.  David

>> David,
>>
>> Thanks for cleaning up. I have made the original page redirect to the
>> renamed page instead to avoid invalid links from outside of the wiki to
>> this page.
>>
>> Geert

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 3 december 2018 14:41:48 CET schreef Derek Atkins:
> I think the better option is to edit the page and leave it as a forward
> reference to the new page.  That way it wont brak existing links.
>
> -derek

That's what both options I mentioned do.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
While moving a page
* by default a redirect will be created and
* the talk page will move, too.

BTW, I have redone it and named it "MacOS Installation" which is better
readable. While Wiki links know to handle blanks and other nonASCII
chars, in other references you have to map them:
Space to underline, ...

~Frank

Am 03.12.18 um 14:41 schrieb Derek Atkins:

> I think the better option is to edit the page and leave it as a forward
> reference to the new page.  That way it wont brak existing links.
>
> -derek
>
> On Mon, December 3, 2018 7:26 am, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> I think the manual method is indeed available to you. I don't know if the
>> option to move a page is visible for you under the "More" menu. That's
>> both a
>> shorthand way of doing it which deals a bit better with page history and
>> related talk pages.
>>
>> Geert
>>
>> Op maandag 3 december 2018 13:06:36 CET schreef David T.:
>>> Ah. Ok. I guess I could do that next time!
>>>
>>>   On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 17:34, Geert
>>> Janssens<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:   Op maandag 3 december 2018 12:32:56 CET schreef David T. via
>> gnucash-
>> devel:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> Thanks for cleaning up. I have made the original page redirect to the
>>> renamed page instead to avoid invalid links from outside of the wiki to
>>> this page.
>>>
>>> Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
It would seem that you all have the mistaken belief that I have powers that have not been granted to me --specifically, I do not have any option to move a wiki page, thus I cannot 'preserve the talk pages' in any way, shape, or form.

BTW, I'm not sure why it's suddenly a priority to change MacOSInstallation to MacOS_Installation. After all, everyone was plenty happy to stay with the outmoded MacOSXInstallation until I decided to do something about it.

David

On December 3, 2018, at 10:34 PM, "Frank H. Ellenberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

While moving a page
* by default a redirect will be created and
* the talk page will move, too.

BTW, I have redone it and named it "MacOS Installation" which is better
readable. While Wiki links know to handle blanks and other nonASCII
chars, in other references you have to map them:
Space to underline, ...

~Frank

Am 03.12.18 um 14:41 schrieb Derek Atkins:

> I think the better option is to edit the page and leave it as a forward
> reference to the new page.  That way it wont brak existing links.
>
> -derek
>
> On Mon, December 3, 2018 7:26 am, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> I think the manual method is indeed available to you. I don't know if the
>> option to move a page is visible for you under the "More" menu. That's
>> both a
>> shorthand way of doing it which deals a bit better with page history and
>> related talk pages.
>>
>> Geert
>>
>> Op maandag 3 december 2018 13:06:36 CET schreef David T.:
>>> Ah. Ok. I guess I could do that next time!
>>>
>>>   On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 17:34, Geert
>>> Janssens<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:   Op maandag 3 december 2018 12:32:56 CET schreef David T. via
>> gnucash-
>> devel:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> Thanks for cleaning up. I have made the original page redirect to the
>>> renamed page instead to avoid invalid links from outside of the wiki to
>>> this page.
>>>
>>> Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 3 december 2018 18:18:03 CET schreef D via gnucash-devel:
> It would seem that you all have the mistaken belief that I have powers that
> have not been granted to me --specifically, I do not have any option to
> move a wiki page, thus I cannot 'preserve the talk pages' in any way,
> shape, or form.

Well, I wasn't sure of this, hence my suggestion. But as you don't have these
rights, you can ask someone with rights to move or rename the page for you. It
will be even less work for you :)

> BTW, I'm not sure why it's suddenly a priority to change MacOSInstallation
> to MacOS_Installation. After all, everyone was plenty happy to stay with
> the outmoded MacOSXInstallation until I decided to do something about it.

It was not a priority. But as we were changing the page title anyway it's
nicer to have a more human readable one. I for sure am more comfortable with
reading
"MacOS Installation" than "MacOSInstallation".

Wiki will accept both,  but it won't use the former unchanged in url's as
spaces are known to be tricky. So wiki will always replace spaces with
underscores when generating a url. That's what Frank was pointing out.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page (re)moval rights

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
You are right, currently both move and delete (of pages) are Admin
rights according Special:ListGroupRights.

OTOH normal users can movefile, move-rootuserpages, move-categorypages
and move-subpages.

I don't know, how other wikis handle this. How often will you need it,
David?

Allowing to move categories, but no normal pages seems inconsistent to
me. Similar case: Upload (of files) needs special rights, to move them not.

Derek, do you remember the reasons? It might be that we lost the group
editor, for which David has the rights.
BTW: Did you remove the one week delay to create pages for new users?

~Frank

Am 03.12.18 um 18:18 schrieb D:
> It would seem that you all have the mistaken belief that I have powers that have not been granted to me --specifically, I do not have any option to move a wiki page, thus I cannot 'preserve the talk pages' in any way, shape, or form.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Ok. So, I'll ask someone to move "MacOSX/Quartz" to "MacOS/Quartz" then.

David

On December 4, 2018, at 12:35 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

Op maandag 3 december 2018 18:18:03 CET schreef D via gnucash-devel:
> It would seem that you all have the mistaken belief that I have powers that
> have not been granted to me --specifically, I do not have any option to
> move a wiki page, thus I cannot 'preserve the talk pages' in any way,
> shape, or form.

Well, I wasn't sure of this, hence my suggestion. But as you don't have these
rights, you can ask someone with rights to move or rename the page for you. It
will be even less work for you :)

> BTW, I'm not sure why it's suddenly a priority to change MacOSInstallation
> to MacOS_Installation. After all, everyone was plenty happy to stay with
> the outmoded MacOSXInstallation until I decided to do something about it.

It was not a priority. But as we were changing the page title anyway it's
nicer to have a more human readable one. I for sure am more comfortable with
reading
"MacOS Installation" than "MacOSInstallation".

Wiki will accept both,  but it won't use the former unchanged in url's as
spaces are known to be tricky. So wiki will always replace spaces with
underscores when generating a url. That's what Frank was pointing out.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

John Ralls
Already did, along with MacOSX/Fink and MacOSX/MacPorts. ;-)

While we’re on the topic, can anyone think of a reason to keep the MacOSX/ReleaseNotes-2.*? They’re Mac-specific notes for releases 2.2.9-2.4.8 as I gradually got all of GnuCash’s bits and pieces working on Macs. The same release notes are contained in the respective dmgs on SourceForge.

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 9:50 AM, D via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok. So, I'll ask someone to move "MacOSX/Quartz" to "MacOS/Quartz" then.
>
> David
>
> On December 4, 2018, at 12:35 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op maandag 3 december 2018 18:18:03 CET schreef D via gnucash-devel:
>> It would seem that you all have the mistaken belief that I have powers that
>> have not been granted to me --specifically, I do not have any option to
>> move a wiki page, thus I cannot 'preserve the talk pages' in any way,
>> shape, or form.
>
> Well, I wasn't sure of this, hence my suggestion. But as you don't have these
> rights, you can ask someone with rights to move or rename the page for you. It
> will be even less work for you :)
>

>> BTW, I'm not sure why it's suddenly a priority to change MacOSInstallation
>> to MacOS_Installation. After all, everyone was plenty happy to stay with
>> the outmoded MacOSXInstallation until I decided to do something about it.
>>
> It was not a priority. But as we were changing the page title anyway it's
> nicer to have a more human readable one. I for sure am more comfortable with
> reading
> "MacOS Installation" than "MacOSInstallation".
>
> Wiki will accept both,  but it won't use the former unchanged in url's as
> spaces are known to be tricky. So wiki will always replace spaces with
> underscores when generating a url. That's what Frank was pointing out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

Geert Janssens-4
I am inclined to remove them or if we want to be really conservative you can
create one MacOS/ReleasenotesObsolete and redirect all others to this one.
That page can then simply refer to the release notes on the main gnucash
website or the respective dmgs.

I thought we decided at least any page relating to 2.2.x and before could
safely be removed anyway.

Geert

Op dinsdag 4 december 2018 07:32:17 CET schreef John Ralls:

> Already did, along with MacOSX/Fink and MacOSX/MacPorts. ;-)
>
> While we’re on the topic, can anyone think of a reason to keep the
> MacOSX/ReleaseNotes-2.*? They’re Mac-specific notes for releases
> 2.2.9-2.4.8 as I gradually got all of GnuCash’s bits and pieces working on
> Macs. The same release notes are contained in the respective dmgs on
> SourceForge.

> > On Dec 4, 2018, at 9:50 AM, D via gnucash-devel
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Ok. So, I'll ask someone to move "MacOSX/Quartz" to "MacOS/Quartz" then.
> >
> > David
> >
> > On December 4, 2018, at 12:35 AM, Geert Janssens
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:>
> > Op maandag 3 december 2018 18:18:03 CET schreef D via gnucash-devel:
> >> It would seem that you all have the mistaken belief that I have powers
> >> that
> >> have not been granted to me --specifically, I do not have any option to
> >> move a wiki page, thus I cannot 'preserve the talk pages' in any way,
> >> shape, or form.
> >
> > Well, I wasn't sure of this, hence my suggestion. But as you don't have
> > these rights, you can ask someone with rights to move or rename the page
> > for you. It will be even less work for you :)
> >
> >> BTW, I'm not sure why it's suddenly a priority to change
> >> MacOSInstallation
> >> to MacOS_Installation. After all, everyone was plenty happy to stay with
> >> the outmoded MacOSXInstallation until I decided to do something about it.
> >
> > It was not a priority. But as we were changing the page title anyway it's
> > nicer to have a more human readable one. I for sure am more comfortable
> > with reading
> > "MacOS Installation" than "MacOSInstallation".
> >
> > Wiki will accept both,  but it won't use the former unchanged in url's as
> > spaces are known to be tricky. So wiki will always replace spaces with
> > underscores when generating a url. That's what Frank was pointing out.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki page removal

John Ralls
OK. I’ve removed them and left a note in MacOSX/ReleaseNotes saying that they’re available in the dmgs.

"Frank H. Ellenberger" <[hidden email]> writes:

> You are right, currently both move and delete (of pages) are Admin
> rights according Special:ListGroupRights.
>
> OTOH normal users can movefile, move-rootuserpages, move-categorypages
> and move-subpages.
>
> I don't know, how other wikis handle this. How often will you need it,
> David?
>
> Allowing to move categories, but no normal pages seems inconsistent to
> me. Similar case: Upload (of files) needs special rights, to move them not.
>
> Derek, do you remember the reasons? It might be that we lost the group
> editor, for which David has the rights.
> BTW: Did you remove the one week delay to create pages for new users?

I did not drop the 7-day requirement; I haven't edited the config (and
I'm on the road right now).

I also have no idea why the privs are what they are, honestly.  I think
they sort of accreted over time.  I wouldn't mind a complete "reset", if
there is a way to do it, but I think part of the issue is that we
started with a very old version and upgraded several times which might
have changed or lost the standard configs.