[GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

[GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

David Cousens
To all interested parties,

As a first step to doing a restructure I decided to map (fairly roughly) the
area of the wiki associated with Building GnuCash from Sources that was
accessible from the main wiki Building GnuCash page in an attached Freeplane
Mindmap  BuildingGnucashMap20180920.mm
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/BuildingGnucashMap20180920.mm>
.  It is fairly instructive in illustrating the problem. (Freeplane and
Freemind maps are not totally compatible as they diverged from a common
source some time ago )

I will construct a second mindmap to illustrate how I propose to restructure
this section of the wiki and then post it in this thread for comment

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

David Cousens
Freeplane Mindmap of outline of proposed restructure

BuildingGnuCashRestructure.mm
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/BuildingGnuCashRestructure.mm>

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

Adrien Monteleone-2
That’s a vast improvement!

Per your question marks:

Distros
-------
I wouldn’t include distros unless a survey of the mailing list archives shows there are quirks for them. (and perhaps revisit the currently listed quirks, if they are for very old versions rather than current processes, then they can be removed)

I see you left out Gentoo & Slackware which are on that page. (the Slackware link ’this page’ is really bad anchor text similar to ‘click here’ BTW)

From the installation page (which includes some RHEL based distro links) I see there are breakout pages for FreeBSD and Solaris. (now OpenIndiana) Are these still relevant? Should the ‘FreeBSD’ page be re-labeled ‘BSD’? The Solaris page looks like it is circa 2007.

On that note, perhaps backing up a step to ‘Installation’ might be a good idea to make sure everything is tidy.

Package Formats
---------------
I thought calameres was an installer used to install distros, not a packaging format, though I could be misunderstanding it’s scope. (QT based DE’s seem to like it)

Plugins
-------
I agree the plugin section should be moved to a developer area. Are there any plugins currently?

> On Sep 20, 2018, at 1:58 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Freeplane Mindmap of outline of proposed restructure
>
> BuildingGnuCashRestructure.mm
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/BuildingGnuCashRestructure.mm>
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

davidcousens49
On Thu, 2018-09-20 at 11:37 -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

Adrien

> That’s a vast improvement!
>
> Per your question marks:
>

> Distros
> -------
> I wouldn’t include distros unless a survey of the mailing list archives shows there are quirks for them. (and perhaps
> revisit the currently listed quirks, if they are for very old versions rather than current processes, then they can be
> removed)
I was going to see what was left once most of what is currently in Ubuntu16.04 had been moved to generic. I would like
to get away with a simple "substitute your favourite package manager" but there is the additional problem of different
package naming in the dependencies. Geert also mentioned some package managers have a slightly different syntax and
different ways of package cache searching.

> I see you left out Gentoo & Slackware which are on that page. (the Slackware link ’this page’ is really bad anchor
> text similar to ‘click here’ BTW)
Just finger trouble late at night.

> From the installation page (which includes some RHEL based distro links) I see there are breakout pages for FreeBSD
> and Solaris. (now OpenIndiana) Are these still relevant? Should the ‘FreeBSD’ page be re-labeled ‘BSD’? The Solaris
> page looks like it is circa 2007.
Unless there are really significant differences from distribution to distribution and I doubt there are really apart
from those above. I think a list of distributions really belongs in the features type marketing. In the Installation
page it is a bit more relevant as it lists the distros which have Gnucash available from their package management cache.
This section is probably more relevant to those that don't and those of us who like to be at the bleeding edge.

> On that note, perhaps backing up a step to ‘Installation’ might be a good idea to make sure everything is tidy.
Good idea ,I'll check out consistency. The Building page is a breakout from the Installation page.

> Package Formats
> ---------------
> I thought calameres was an installer used to install distros, not a packaging format, though I could be
> misunderstanding it’s scope. (QT based DE’s seem to like it)

It possibly is. I did a search around for different package managers and dsitribution independent installers. I had the
impression it was supposed to be a distribution independent installer as that was what I was searching for (flatpak,
snap etc)at the time ( ionly read the first paragraph on the page). They probably belong in the Installation page rather
than here anyway, but maybe some notes for people preparing such packages to include all compile options and anything
which can go in the package setup to make it work without having to manually bypass the sandboxing of the OS might help.

David Cousens

> Plugins
> -------
> I agree the plugin section should be moved to a developer area. Are there any plugins currently?
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

> > On Sep 20, 2018, at 1:58 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Freeplane Mindmap of outline of proposed restructure
> >
> > BuildingGnuCashRestructure.mm
> > <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/BuildingGnuCashRestructure.mm
> >
> > David Cousens
> >

> > -----
> > David Cousens
> > --
> > Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 20 september 2018 22:21:25 CEST schreef [hidden email]:
> On Thu, 2018-09-20 at 11:37 -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> > From the installation page (which includes some RHEL based distro links) I
> > see there are breakout pages for FreeBSD and Solaris. (now OpenIndiana)
> > Are these still relevant? Should the ‘FreeBSD’ page be re-labeled ‘BSD’?
> > The Solaris page looks like it is circa 2007.
>
> Unless there are really significant differences from distribution to
> distribution and I doubt there are really apart from those above.

Don't be mistaken by the similarity in names. The *BSD family has various
independent package management systems, which I otherwise have no experience
with at all :)
But a quick net search revealed netbsd uses pkg_add/pkg_remove and a make
based installation system to install directly from source. Freebsd has a "pgk"
tool (without the _add,_remove parts) to install binaries and a ports system
to install directly from sources.

Having said all that I don't expect you to detail all of that. For starters I
believe most *BSD users are more accustomed to building from source because
it's inherently integrated in their system. So I expect most of them can read
linux based build instructions and translate them to their *BSD flavor. In
addition if extra instructions are desirable for a given *BSD flavor I would
welcome someone more knowledgeable about those platforms to chime in.

In the initial version we can restrict ourselves to stating "GnuCash is known
to build and run on different *BSD systems, however we currently lack the
knowledge to document here how it's done". Well, formulated more nicely.

> I think a
> list of distributions really belongs in the features type marketing.

What do you mean with "features type marketing" ?

> In the
> Installation page it is a bit more relevant as it lists the distros which
> have Gnucash available from their package management cache. This section is
> probably more relevant to those that don't and those of us who like to be
> at the bleeding edge.
> > On that note, perhaps backing up a step to ‘Installation’ might be a good
> > idea to make sure everything is tidy.
> Good idea ,I'll check out consistency. The Building page is a breakout from
> the Installation page.
> > Package Formats
> > ---------------
> > I thought calameres was an installer used to install distros, not a
> > packaging format, though I could be misunderstanding it’s scope. (QT
> > based DE’s seem to like it)
>
> It possibly is. I did a search around for different package managers and
> dsitribution independent installers. I had the impression it was supposed
> to be a distribution independent installer as that was what I was searching
> for (flatpak, snap etc)at the time ( ionly read the first paragraph on the
> page). They probably belong in the Installation page rather than here
> anyway, but maybe some notes for people preparing such packages to include
> all compile options and anything which can go in the package setup to make
> it work without having to manually bypass the sandboxing of the OS might
> help.

Calamares is indeed outside of the scope here. As Adrien notes it's a
distribution installer, that is the tool you use to install a linux
distribution on your PC. It's unique in that it's a collaborative project
supported by several - but mostly smaller - distributions. Once the
distribution is installed, extra software is installed via the distribution's
own package manager. At that point calamares is not relevant any more.

David,

I have read your initial work on the Build page and I have added some remarks
in the discussion part of that page. It thought that more appropriate than
here on the mailing list.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

davidcousens49

>"What do you mean with "features type marketing" ?"
Geert

What I was getting at was that a comprehensive list of distributions that GnuCash runs on
was more relevant to users making a decision to use it, hence the marketing (I didn't intend in the commercial sense
though). I don't feel that its really necessary
to cover every Linux version in the build instructions but perhaps more usefulto illustrate examples from  distributions
pehaps where there may be more significant differences (I also don't know a lot about the different variants and we
probably have to rely on our user base to provide information there).

The key bit of information is that you need to install specific tools and libraries/headers and you will use some sort
of package manager to do that.

The user should from that be able to research what they need to use for their particular distribution if it is not one
we specifically mention.

Will ignore calmares. I'll check the comments out on the page.

Thanks

David

Op zaterdag 22 september 2018 00:10:16 CEST schreef [hidden email]:

> >"What do you mean with "features type marketing" ?"
>
> Geert
>
> What I was getting at was that a comprehensive list of distributions that
> GnuCash runs on was more relevant to users making a decision to use it,
> hence the marketing (I didn't intend in the commercial sense though). I
> don't feel that its really necessary
> to cover every Linux version in the build instructions but perhaps more
> usefulto illustrate examples from  distributions pehaps where there may be
> more significant differences (I also don't know a lot about the different
> variants and we probably have to rely on our user base to provide
> information there).
>
> The key bit of information is that you need to install specific tools and
> libraries/headers and you will use some sort of package manager to do that.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Indeed we don't need a comprehensive list of distributions. On the other hand
for a recipe to work well, it should list concrete steps for dependency
installation. I know my biggest hurdle (even as an experienced developer) is
to figure out the exact commands to search for and install packages and to
find the proper package names. I know them pretty well for Fedora as that's my
distro of choice, but sometimes I run tests in other distros and I always
spend more time than I want on getting started. So in that area it would
really be helpful to list the exact commands to get started per platform.

I would assume the whole debian based universe will be served with one set of
instructions or perhaps a few, depending on tools that are available on
certain releases.
Which reminds me: someone suggested to promote apt instead of apt-get as the
preferred choice. I would only do so if all the distro releases we still care
to support in the debian-sphere ship this tool. If not, I would be tempted to
stick with apt-get for now and revise this in the future. For example does
Ubuntu 14.04 already ship the apt tool ? Does Ubuntu 16.04 ?

For Fedora and derivatives the tool of choice is dnf. For arch it's pacman.
For (Open)Suse it was yast last time I checked (which was a long time ago).
RHEL and CentOS as still using yum, but it's been a while since last time I
tried to build gnucash on those. Usually the dependencies are an issue there.
I don't know about gentoo and derivatives.

I think those are the primary groups. There are plenty of others, but
motivated users of other platforms are invited to contribute the details for
their preferred platforms (and ideally keep them up to date).

> The user should from that be able to research what they need to use for
> their particular distribution if it is not one we specifically mention.

Agreed.

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

John Ralls-2

Gentoo uses a derivative of the BSD “ports” system called Portage: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

davidcousens49
Geert,
>I would only do so if all the distro releases we still care
> to support in the debian-sphere ship this tool. If not, I would be tempted to
> stick with apt-get for now and revise this in the future. For example does
> Ubuntu 14.04 already ship the apt tool ? Does Ubuntu 16.04 ?

From 16.04 forward Ubuntu ships with apt rather than apt-get as the preferred mpackage manager and Linux Mint from 18.
aptitude is preferred for debian but it is only a user friendly front end to apt and apt-get is still in the kit on
Debian as well. All have the GUI based front end in Synaptic as well. Ubuntu and Linux Mint also ship with aptitude
included as well. The install and remove commands are the same as apt & apt-get but some other options are different.
apt-get is also really only a setup tool to handle dependencies for dpkg which does the real work. As far as I know apt
and aptitude are similarly front ends for dpkg. I don't think we need to go that deeply though. Many distributions also
have a Software manager GUI which can also handle most tools and libraries and that is possible preferrable for new
users with the shell commands as a fall back

Perhaps a table of the package managers vs Distributions?

Could also do the same for the dependencies and table the package names where known with blanks to be filled in by
users.

Cheers

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

Adrien Monteleone-2
Don’t confuse the user land tool ‘apt’ that was introduced with 16.04 with the lower level ‘apt’ that aptitude is a front-end for. They aren’t the same thing.

The naming choice is unfortunate and there is little out there on the web explaining this. Most searches for how to use the newer ‘apt’ end up returning results for aptitude and apt-get as ’newer’ methods. (though it is the other way around)

I’m not sure if it was backported to 14.04, but since it isn’t available by default, I’d say just stick with apt-get at least until April when 14.04 will be deprecated, then review what the remaining debian derivatives are using.

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 3:19 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Geert,
>> I would only do so if all the distro releases we still care
>> to support in the debian-sphere ship this tool. If not, I would be tempted to
>> stick with apt-get for now and revise this in the future. For example does
>> Ubuntu 14.04 already ship the apt tool ? Does Ubuntu 16.04 ?
>
> From 16.04 forward Ubuntu ships with apt rather than apt-get as the preferred mpackage manager and Linux Mint from 18.
> aptitude is preferred for debian but it is only a user friendly front end to apt and apt-get is still in the kit on
> Debian as well. All have the GUI based front end in Synaptic as well. Ubuntu and Linux Mint also ship with aptitude
> included as well. The install and remove commands are the same as apt & apt-get but some other options are different.
> apt-get is also really only a setup tool to handle dependencies for dpkg which does the real work. As far as I know apt
> and aptitude are similarly front ends for dpkg. I don't think we need to go that deeply though. Many distributions also
> have a Software manager GUI which can also handle most tools and libraries and that is possible preferrable for new
> users with the shell commands as a fall back
>>

> Perhaps a table of the package managers vs Distributions?
>
> Could also do the same for the dependencies and table the package names where known with blanks to be filled in by
> users.
>
> Cheers
>
> David

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

David Cousens
Adrien,

They are all front ends for dpkg in any case on recent Debian derivatives. I'm not sure about other distributions but
both Linux Mint 18 and 19, and as far as I know Ubuntu 16.04 18.04 seem to have all of the tools installed by default.

I think the main message to get across is the package manager used on a particular system may not be "apt" or "apt-get"
and if you're not sure you should check the documentation and translate the commands if necessary. The RHEL derived
distributions based on rpm  tend to be even more diverse.

I've provided a breakout table of the CLI and GUI front ends to the package managers on a variety of systems. In most
cases for simple versions of the command with no options, it is usually just a matter of substituting the particular
package managers name. Only a few use option switches instead of install and remove commands.

I haven't really got out to BSD based distributions but I might dig up some info on those and add it. Otherwise I'm
inclined to add further distributions as they come up in the user forum (other wise I could spend my life reearching
package managers).

David

On Sun, 2018-09-23 at 12:40 -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Don’t confuse the user land tool ‘apt’ that was introduced with 16.04 with the lower level ‘apt’ that aptitude is a
> front-end for. They aren’t the same thing.
>
> The naming choice is unfortunate and there is little out there on the web explaining this. Most searches for how to
> use the newer ‘apt’ end up returning results for aptitude and apt-get as ’newer’ methods. (though it is the other way
> around)
>
> I’m not sure if it was backported to 14.04, but since it isn’t available by default, I’d say just stick with apt-get
> at least until April when 14.04 will be deprecated, then review what the remaining debian derivatives are using.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Sep 22, 2018, at 3:19 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Geert,
> > > I would only do so if all the distro releases we still care
> > > to support in the debian-sphere ship this tool. If not, I would be tempted to
> > > stick with apt-get for now and revise this in the future. For example does
> > > Ubuntu 14.04 already ship the apt tool ? Does Ubuntu 16.04 ?
> >
> > From 16.04 forward Ubuntu ships with apt rather than apt-get as the preferred mpackage manager and Linux Mint from
> > 18.
> > aptitude is preferred for debian but it is only a user friendly front end to apt and apt-get is still in the kit on
> > Debian as well. All have the GUI based front end in Synaptic as well. Ubuntu and Linux Mint also ship with aptitude
> > included as well. The install and remove commands are the same as apt & apt-get but some other options are
> > different.
> > apt-get is also really only a setup tool to handle dependencies for dpkg which does the real work. As far as I know
> > apt
> > and aptitude are similarly front ends for dpkg. I don't think we need to go that deeply though. Many distributions
> > also
> > have a Software manager GUI which can also handle most tools and libraries and that is possible preferrable for new
> > users with the shell commands as a fall back
> > >

> > Perhaps a table of the package managers vs Distributions?
> >
> > Could also do the same for the dependencies and table the package names where known with blanks to be filled in by
> > users.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > David

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

Colin Law
I am away from home at the moment so haven't been able to follow exactly
what is proposed here, is the intention do remove the existing instructions
for building from source on Ubuntu [1] that are very clear and easy to
follow?

[1] https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04

Colin

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 06:28, David Cousens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> To all interested parties,
>
> As a first step to doing a restructure I decided to map (fairly roughly)
> the
> area of the wiki associated with Building GnuCash from Sources that was
> accessible from the main wiki Building GnuCash page in an attached
> Freeplane
> Mindmap  BuildingGnucashMap20180920.mm
> <
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/BuildingGnucashMap20180920.mm>
>
> .  It is fairly instructive in illustrating the problem. (Freeplane and
> Freemind maps are not totally compatible as they diverged from a common
> source some time ago )
>
> I will construct a second mindmap to illustrate how I propose to
> restructure
> this section of the wiki and then post it in this thread for comment
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

David Cousens
No Colin,

Theplan is to make the Ubuntu specific instructions into a generic Linux set  and then deal with the distribution
diferences  or give users the information they need to translate them to another distribution .  In most cases it is
just substituting the appropriate package managers name (for a few there are also some syntax differences).  I have
provided a table of the package managers I know about and the basics of their install delete and repository search
command that can be added to for distributions not listed. The other major difference is the actual packaging and naming
of the dependencies. Other than that, the build instructions are pretty generic on Linux.  I had updated the Ubuntu
16.04 page at the shift to V3.0 becasue I ran across a few problems building it with the shift to gtk3.  I am planning
on either constructing a table or listing the differences in distribution specific sections. It will depend on whether
there are only a few differences in package names and construction or a lot. I suspect the majoer differences will be
between the RHEL , BSD and Debian based systems.

The main problem is assembling the information about the various distributions. I have run some other distributions in
VMs. The advantage of that is you get a clean system with just the libraries installed with the distribution and not
other software. My machine is fairly slow running VMs

 I have a slightly  longer term plan, if I can find out how to make conditional parsing functions work in the wiki of
selecting your distribution from a list  and the instructions would magically change to be relevant for that
distribution (using what are known as magic words.).  I found a hint of how to do it in the media wiki documentation.
I'll download media wiki onto my system and experiment with it when I get a bit of time.

David Cousens