[GNC-dev] Widget naming and css

Robert Fewell-2
I have been thinking about naming some widgets and changing some of the
entries I added with css style classes and wondered if there has been a
convention decided.

What I would like to see is a couple of unique prefixes so that one could
do a grep on the top level directory and obtain all such entries and maybe
manipulate into some sort of list that could be published some ware.

Doing a quick content search shows 'gnc-style-' and 'gnc-name-' would work
but open to suggestions.

This would allow those users inclined to customise the appearance more
easily.
I would probably do this on master over time.

Regards,
Bob

Re: [GNC-dev] Widget naming and css

John Ralls

> On Jun 23, 2018, at 4:18 AM, Robert Fewell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been thinking about naming some widgets and changing some of the
> entries I added with css style classes and wondered if there has been a
> convention decided.
>
> What I would like to see is a couple of unique prefixes so that one could
> do a grep on the top level directory and obtain all such entries and maybe
> manipulate into some sort of list that could be published some ware.
>
> Doing a quick content search shows 'gnc-style-' and 'gnc-name-' would work
> but open to suggestions.
>
> This would allow those users inclined to customise the appearance more
> easily.
> I would probably do this on master over time.

Bob,

I’m not sure I understand what you’re suggesting. Perhaps you could suggest a concrete example?

Re: [GNC-dev] Widget naming and css

Robert Fewell-2
Sorry it was not clear, so I will try again.

When I was doing the GTK3 migration I added some context styles to various
widgets but I now believe some of them should be widget names like the
following...
GncBusinessPage should really be a widget name and then with associated
styles.

So as an example I changed GncBusinessPage from a style context to a widget
name of 'gnc-name-business-page' and associated style contexts to start
with 'gnc-style-' along with some other changes I can now grep them...

grep -nHIirF 'gnc-style-'
gnucash/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-owner-tree.c:658:        style_label =
"gnc-style-unknown";
gnucash/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-owner-tree.c:663:        style_label =
"gnc-style-customer";
gnucash/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-owner-tree.c:668:        style_label =
"gnc-style-job";
gnucash/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-owner-tree.c:673:        style_label =
"gnc-style-vendor";
gnucash/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-owner-tree.c:678:        style_label =
"gnc-style-employee";
gnucash/gtkbuilder/dialog-vendor.glade:559:                  <class
name="gnc-style-vendor"/>
gnucash/gtkbuilder/dialog-vendor.glade:796:                  <class
name="gnc-style-vendor"/>
gnucash/gtkbuilder/dialog-vendor.glade:830:      <class
name="gnc-style-vendor"/>

grep -nHIirF 'gnc-name-'
gnucash/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-owner-tree.c:626:    gtk_widget_set_name
(GTK_WIDGET(priv->widget), "gnc-name-business-page");
gnucash/gnome/window-reconcile.c:1817:        gtk_widget_set_name
(debits_box, "gnc-name-reconcile-window-debits");
gnucash/gnome/window-reconcile.c:1822:        gtk_widget_set_name
(credits_box, "gnc-name-reconcile-window-credits");
gnucash/gnome/window-reconcile.c:1855:            gtk_widget_set_name
(frame, "gnc-name-reconcile-window-totals");
gnucash/gtkbuilder/dialog-vendor.glade:30:    <property
name="name">gnc-name-vendor-dialog</property>

With the grep command it easily shows me what widgets have been named along
with style contexts and so I can easily apply CSS to them and possibly
reuse the style contexts else ware in the code..

So the question was how to name them consistently, I have used the prefixes
of 'gnc-name-' and 'gnc-style-' and find them easily for possible
manipulation / publication in the future.

Hope this is clearer.

Regards,
Bob

On 23 June 2018 at 16:59, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jun 23, 2018, at 4:18 AM, Robert Fewell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have been thinking about naming some widgets and changing some of the
> > entries I added with css style classes and wondered if there has been a
> > convention decided.
> >
> > What I would like to see is a couple of unique prefixes so that one could
> > do a grep on the top level directory and obtain all such entries and
> maybe
> > manipulate into some sort of list that could be published some ware.
> >
> > Doing a quick content search shows 'gnc-style-' and 'gnc-name-' would
> work
> > but open to suggestions.
> >
> > This would allow those users inclined to customise the appearance more
> > easily.
> > I would probably do this on master over time.
>
> Bob,
>
> I’m not sure I understand what you’re suggesting. Perhaps you could
> suggest a concrete example?

Re: [GNC-dev] Widget naming and css

John Ralls
Bob,

Thanks, much clearer.

Using the prefix gnc-style and gnc-name does clarify the intent, so that’s good.  My only concern from a grepping standpoint is that it mimics the format for Scheme functions imported from C, but as long as we don’t have any functions named gnc_style_foo and gnc_name_foo that’s probably OK.

> [...]
> >
> > I have been thinking about naming some widgets and changing some of the
> > entries I added with css style classes and wondered if there has been a
> > convention decided.
> >
> > What I would like to see is a couple of unique prefixes so that one could
> > do a grep on the top level directory and obtain all such entries and maybe
> > manipulate into some sort of list that could be published some ware.
> >
> > Doing a quick content search shows 'gnc-style-' and 'gnc-name-' would work
> > but open to suggestions.
> >
> > This would allow those users inclined to customise the appearance more
> > easily.
> > I would probably do this on master over time.
>
> Bob,
>
> I’m not sure I understand what you’re suggesting. Perhaps you could suggest a concrete example?

Geert Janssens-4
Op zondag 24 juni 2018 18:12:19 CEST schreef John Ralls:

> Bob,
>
> Thanks, much clearer.
>
> Using the prefix gnc-style and gnc-name does clarify the intent, so that’s
> good.  My only concern from a grepping standpoint is that it mimics the
> format for Scheme functions imported from C, but as long as we don’t have
> any functions named gnc_style_foo and gnc_name_foo that’s probably OK.

Yes I'm fine with the concept too. On the other hand I like to think a bit
more about the best prefixes to choose as they should be relevant for years to
come.

The primary reason to enumerate the style contexts and widget names used is to
be able to write css rule based on them. Ideally/eventually this should even
be possible for people understanding css but don't know the gtk internals very
well. The reason I formulate it this way is that I think the prefixes should
make most sense for css writers and are less important for code writers.

So how will widget names and style contexts be used in css ?
A style context maps to a css class. So the class is the core concept to
stress and as such I would propose to use "gnc-class" as prefix for style
contexts.
A widget name maps to a css ID. In this case "ID" is the core concept to
stress and hence to create  some consistency for our purpose I would propose
to prefix them with "gnc-id".

What do you think ?

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

> > > On Jun 23, 2018, at 4:18 AM, Robert Fewell <[hidden email]
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been thinking about naming some widgets and changing some of the
> > > entries I added with css style classes and wondered if there has been a
> > > convention decided.
> > >
> > > What I would like to see is a couple of unique prefixes so that one
> > > could
> > > do a grep on the top level directory and obtain all such entries and
> > > maybe
> > > manipulate into some sort of list that could be published some ware.
> > >
> > > Doing a quick content search shows 'gnc-style-' and 'gnc-name-' would
> > > work
> > > but open to suggestions.
> > >
> > > This would allow those users inclined to customise the appearance more
> > > easily.
> > > I would probably do this on master over time.
> >
> > Bob,
> >
> > I’m not sure I understand what you’re suggesting. Perhaps you could
> > suggest a concrete example?
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

Re: [GNC-dev] Widget naming and css

Robert Fewell-2
I'm OK with 'gnc-class-' and 'gnc-id-' and can make the changes on master
over time.
Could do it on maint but there may be some existing settings that need
changing to align.

Bob

Op zondag 24 juni 2018 22:06:20 CEST schreef Robert Fewell:
> I'm OK with 'gnc-class-' and 'gnc-id-' and can make the changes on master
> over time.
> Could do it on maint but there may be some existing settings that need
> changing to align.
>
> Bob

Master is fine. Thanks!

Geert