[GNC-dev] Wanted - translators

Geert Janssens-4
Hi all,

A few months back we reached a major milestone for the gnucash project. We
released gnucash 3.0 which marked the first release in a new stable series.

It came with plenty of new features such as a much improved transaction report
and several other new reports, a better csv importer, fine-grained control
over import maps, integrated support for Alpha Vantage quotes retrieval,
support for higher precision numbers, a renewed GUI, and so on.

Unfortunately the first few releases had some rough edges preventing many
users from switching easily. With the release of gnucash 3.2 a few weeks back
I dare say many of these wrinkles have been ironed out (admittedly not all of
them).

All these improvements also come with new text messages and other strings,
many of which currently only exist in English. This is fine for people that
fluently speak English but it also excludes many people from fully benefiting
from our fine application. Having these messages translated in the native
languages of our users would greatly improve the user experience of many
people.

So with this I'm sending out another request for volunteers to help in this
area. A few languages are in pretty good shape, but others start to run
behind.

If you think you can lend us a hand here, please contact us via the mailing
lists or irc and we'll work out together what needs to be done and what you
can do.

I expect to be flooded with replies, ok ? ;-)

Thanks in advance in name of the whole gnucash community,

Geert Janssens
GnuCash Developer

[GNC-dev] Wanted - translators, follow up

I recently sent out a request for translations for our newest gnucash series.

I'm pleased there has already been some response!

Yuri Chornoivan is working hard on the Ukrainian translation. His latest
translation file has brought the number of translated strings to 4245, an
impressive improvement to the previous 2826 in 3.1.

Hamidreza Jafari has submitted improvements to the Persian translation, adding
90 translations in that language. By the way this is a nice illustration that
improvements can also be submitted incrementally. I hope to receive more of
such incremental changes.

And Alain Sanguinetti offered to help on the French translation. I eagerly
await his first translations.

While this is a good start, we're not done yet. More help is most welcome!

You don't have to know how to program to help out. Understanding (some)
English and your mother tongue are the most important skills you'll need.

Oh, and as I was pointed out after my previous rally, we have a wiki page that
explains the nitty gritty details of translation work:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation

If you think you can help, by all means let us know. If you don't know very
well how to start, just ask. I'm more than happy to help you take your first
steps.

I can promise you this: you'll get a very warm feeling when you will open a
future version of gnucash and find your translations appear in the interface.
And as an added benefit you'll receive the gratitude of all users that can now
enjoy gnucash a bit more in their own language.

Geert

P.S. I'll finish this mail with my gratitude for all our existing translators
who have been with out through all the years. Your efforts have been and are
still equally valuable. Please do continue with you fine work in the future!

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Wanted - translators, follow up

John Ralls-2
Many thanks to the translators, new and long-standing, who’ve been working to get the message catalogs updated for 3.x!

But we need a lot more help for the many translations whose past translators have moved on.
The following translations are seriously out of date:
Language                      Last translation:
Spanish (Nicaragua):      2001-10-22
*Azerbaijani:                 2001-11-27
*Kinyarwanda:               2005-04-04
*Basque:                       2005-08-05
Nepali:                         2006-08-21
Vietnamese:                 2007-12-29
Hebrew:                        2009-04-21
Korean:                         2009-07-15
*Chinese (Simplified):    2010-07-13
Polish:                          2010-09-07
Hungarian:                   2011-07-30
Bulgarian:                    2011-10-25
*Czech:                        2012-03-29
Chinese (Traditional):   2012-05-13

The translations marked with * are managed by The Translation Project [1]. Please contact the TP team--the email address should be in the catalog (po) file--before you start work, but if they seem unwilling to work with you by all means contact us either on one of the mailing lists or IRC.

[1] http://translationproject.org/domain/gnucash.html <http://translationproject.org/domain/gnucash.html>

> On Aug 1, 2018, at 6:21 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I recently sent out a request for translations for our newest gnucash series.
>
> I'm pleased there has already been some response!
>
> Yuri Chornoivan is working hard on the Ukrainian translation. His latest
> translation file has brought the number of translated strings to 4245, an
> impressive improvement to the previous 2826 in 3.1.
>
> Hamidreza Jafari has submitted improvements to the Persian translation, adding
> 90 translations in that language. By the way this is a nice illustration that
> improvements can also be submitted incrementally. I hope to receive more of
> such incremental changes.
>
> And Alain Sanguinetti offered to help on the French translation. I eagerly
> await his first translations.
>
> While this is a good start, we're not done yet. More help is most welcome!
>
> You don't have to know how to program to help out. Understanding (some)
> English and your mother tongue are the most important skills you'll need.
>
> Oh, and as I was pointed out after my previous rally, we have a wiki page that
> explains the nitty gritty details of translation work:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation
>
> If you think you can help, by all means let us know. If you don't know very
> well how to start, just ask. I'm more than happy to help you take your first
> steps.
>
> I can promise you this: you'll get a very warm feeling when you will open a
> future version of gnucash and find your translations appear in the interface.
> And as an added benefit you'll receive the gratitude of all users that can now
> enjoy gnucash a bit more in their own language.
>
> Geert
>
> P.S. I'll finish this mail with my gratitude for all our existing translators
> who have been with out through all the years. Your efforts have been and are
> still equally valuable. Please do continue with you fine work in the future!

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Wanted - translators, follow up

Di Mang
Hi John und Geert,

I have a general question about updating the translations. Sometimes, when
I use the GnuCash application in Russian or German, I find some places with
missing or not quite correct translations or formatting.

What kind of translation update would you prefer? Should I collect such
small improvements in translations / formatting for a long time and then
file it together?
Or would it be okay, if I would file such improvements in small packages -
for example, once a week / every two week?

Regards,
Di Mang