[GNC-dev] Ubuntu Eoan has GnuCash 3.7

Tommy Trussell
I just noticed Gianfranco Costamagna <[hidden email]> patched and
uploaded GnuCash 3.7 for Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine":

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash

I was just looking at the packaging diff hoping I would find it
instructive. It looks like Gianfranco added a lot of patches to get it to
build.

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/444417571/gnucash_1%3A3.7-1_1%3A3.7-1ubuntu1.diff.gz

Re: [GNC-dev] Ubuntu Eoan has GnuCash 3.7

John Ralls-2

> On Sep 27, 2019, at 9:59 AM, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just noticed Gianfranco Costamagna <[hidden email]> patched and
> uploaded GnuCash 3.7 for Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine":
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash
>
> I was just looking at the packaging diff hoping I would find it
> instructive. It looks like Gianfranco added a lot of patches to get it to
> build.
>
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/444417571/gnucash_1%3A3.7-1_1%3A3.7-1ubuntu1.diff.gz

Look more closely at those patches. You might recognize the author. ;-)

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:57 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Sep 27, 2019, at 9:59 AM, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I just noticed Gianfranco Costamagna <[hidden email]> patched
> and
> > uploaded GnuCash 3.7 for Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine":
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash
> >
> > I was just looking at the packaging diff hoping I would find it
> > instructive. It looks like Gianfranco added a lot of patches to get it to
> > build.
> >

> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/444417571/gnucash_1%3A3.7-1_1%3A3.7-1ubuntu1.diff.gz
>
> Look more closely at those patches. You might recognize the author. ;-)

I DID notice a certain name showing up there! ;-)

I see (some? all?) of them (plus a few OTHER things we've discussed here
even in the past few days) in the git log for GnuCash after the 3.7 tag.
:-/  Such is the nature of moving targets!

I'm a little surprised the Ubuntu people accepted this upload after the
freeze date with so many patches to the 3.7 tarball, but I gather there are
folks yelling loudly for the aqbanking fixes.

Re: [GNC-dev] Ubuntu Eoan has GnuCash 3.7

Colin Law
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 19:15, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see (some? all?) of them (plus a few OTHER things we've discussed here
> even in the past few days) in the git log for GnuCash after the 3.7 tag.
> :-/  Such is the nature of moving targets!

Do you mean that the version which calls it is 3.7 in ubuntu 19.10 is
actually 3.7 + some fixes or enhancements that are not in 3.7 buiilt
from source?
Could that be confusing when someone reports an issue in '3.7'?

Colin

Re: [GNC-dev] Ubuntu Eoan has GnuCash 3.7

John Ralls-2

> On Sep 27, 2019, at 2:17 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 19:15, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I see (some? all?) of them (plus a few OTHER things we've discussed here
>> even in the past few days) in the git log for GnuCash after the 3.7 tag.
>> :-/  Such is the nature of moving targets!
>
> Do you mean that the version which calls it is 3.7 in ubuntu 19.10 is
> actually 3.7 + some fixes or enhancements that are not in 3.7 buiilt
> from source?
> Could that be confusing when someone reports an issue in '3.7'?

Yes, though fortunately not critical ones. It has to do with some deprecated glib functions that ubuntu's gcc decided to error out on. The changes are just replacing those deprecated functions with the what is the currently accepted code. Someone had actually fixed most of them last spring, there were just a couple that he'd missed. It's not likely to cause too much trouble with bug reporting.