[GNC-dev] UK VAT - Making Tax Digital

Clint Redwood
Hi Folks,

I’ve been using GNUcash to manage my company accounts for 10 years, but a change in the UK law means that all VAT will need to be submitted electronically from an accounting package from April 2019.

Is anyone planning to implement the electronic VAT submission from GNUCash already?

If not, I wrote a VAT return report years ago which I will try to adapt to submit the return electronically via the APIs

If so, how can I help?

It would be a shame for all UK VAT registered gnucash users to have to move to a commercial alternative.

Thanks!

Yours,

Clint Redwood

Screwtape Limited, Registered 06663232<tel:06663232>, Babington House, 26 College Road, Chilwell, Nottingham NG9 4AS<x-apple-data-detectors://2>

Re: [GNC-dev] UK VAT - Making Tax Digital

Michael or Penny Novack
On 11/1/2018 12:12 PM, Clint Redwood wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I’ve been using GNUcash to manage my company accounts for 10 years, but a change in the UK law means that all VAT will need to be submitted electronically from an accounting package from April 2019.

  FIRST need to settle the literal wording of the requirement.

Submitted electronically  FROM the accounting package? (meaning NOTHING
in between)

Or submitted electronically -- the accounting package must be able to
produce output that can be submitted electronically. Thus the previously
existing "accounting package" PLUS whatever is connecting to the
governmental agency and electronically sending it data is now "the package".

Those are NOT the same thing.

I'll leave it up to the UK folks to determine what the new requirement
is. Except to point out, as a person who in my working days did software
for one of the world's largest "financials", I would have my doubts
about the former interpretation << our systems were composed of LOTS of
programs sending data to each other --- what would be meant by THE
accounting package >>

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC-dev] UK VAT - Making Tax Digital

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 01/11/2018 21:02, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> I'll leave it up to the UK folks to determine what the new requirement
> is.

It is confusing and I don't think gnc folks in other parts of the world
need to do anything.

Plus the majority [1] apparently voted Brexit so it could all change.

[1] idiots

--
Wm

On 01/11/2018 16:12, Clint Redwood wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I’ve been using GNUcash to manage my company accounts for 10 years, but a change in the UK law means that all VAT will need to be submitted electronically from an accounting package from April 2019.

That isn't actually true.

> Is anyone planning to implement the electronic VAT submission from GNUCash already?

Not that I am aware of.

> If not, I wrote a VAT return report years ago which I will try to adapt to submit the return electronically via the APIs
>
> If so, how can I help?

Write the report in a way that people can pick it up in a SS, i.e. make
it generally useful.  Show your thinking in the SS.  Leave out tax codes
etc. reports like that are too person or situation specific.

> It would be a shame for all UK VAT registered gnucash users to have to move to a commercial alternative.

There isn't any need for that.  I do agree that there is a push for
commercial alternatives, VAT isn't that complicated, just a case of
recording stuff and doing some sums after all.

--
Wm