[GNC-dev] Translation

Hamidreza Jafari
Hello,

What is intended of 'billing term or terms' in gnucash?

Regards,
Hamid

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

David Cousens
Hamid,

Billing terms are the terms under which a vendor extends credit to a
customer They can be quite variable. A vendor could require payment within 7
days for example. Often where a regular customer has an account it can be a
30day period. It may also include additional conditions such as interest on
the amount owing if not paid by the due date.

These are often expressed in a shorthand form in English language invoices.
The following website https://due.com/blog/10-invoicing-terms-need-know/
lists some common forms.

In most countries they are likely to be defined in the laws governing
contracts or by commercial practice

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

Hamidreza Jafari
Is it the same in this string? That is it refers to conditions?

Term "%s" is in use. You cannot delete it.

Also bill and billing both appear in the strings. Any distinction that one
must notice? What is the practical difference between bill and invoice? The
following string combines many of these seemingly similar words:

Display the invoice billing terms?

Regards,
Hamid

On سه‌شنبه ۱۹ فوریهٔ ۲۰۱۹ ۱۰:۳۴:۵۵ (+0330) David Cousens wrote:

> Hamid,
>
> Billing terms are the terms under which a vendor extends credit to a
> customer They can be quite variable. A vendor could require payment within 7
> days for example. Often where a regular customer has an account it can be a
> 30day period. It may also include additional conditions such as interest on
> the amount owing if not paid by the due date.
>
> These are often expressed in a shorthand form in English language invoices.
> The following website https://due.com/blog/10-invoicing-terms-need-know/
> lists some common forms.
>
> In most countries they are likely to be defined in the laws governing
> contracts or by commercial practice
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

David Cousens
Hamid,

The "%s" is usually a format specifier for a string in a print command. Most
computer languages allow substiutuion of the value of variables into string
of characters which is to be printed out.
The following command ina C program

 printf("The string is %s for my honey.\n", str);

would print

"The string is sugar for my honey"

followed by a new line if the value of the variable str in the program
was"sugar" .   The \n forces the output to go to a new line in this case.

You would need to translate the "The string is"  and "for my honey" parts
and leave the formatting symbols intact. Common format specifiers you might
come acroos could be "%s", "%d", "%c","%f", and you might also come across
"\n", "\t" or "\r" for the newline, tab and carriage return function.

You may also come across format specifiers like "%9.2f" which instructs the
print command to print a floating point number rounded to 2 decimal places
in a field 9 numbers wide, e.g. 123456.78 .

in short if come across format specifiers you should leave them in place and
just translate any bits of the stringeither side.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue further.

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hamid,

Am 20.02.19 um 04:55 schrieb Hamidreza Jafari:
> Is it the same in this string? That is it refers to conditions?
>
> Term "%s" is in use. You cannot delete it.

Most of such symbols are explained in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#Special_characters_and_other_tips

> Also bill and billing both appear in the strings. Any distinction that one
> must notice? What is the practical difference between bill and invoice? The
> following string combines many of these seemingly similar words:
>
> Display the invoice billing terms?

We always suggest to create at first and submit
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#The_glossary_file
which has also some explanation of the terms.

While we got your fa.po, we never got a glossary/fa.po from you.
I know you are using the translation project and there they are not
common, but sometimes they are handy. :-)

> Regards,
> Hamid
>
> On سه‌شنبه ۱۹ فوریهٔ ۲۰۱۹ ۱۰:۳۴:۵۵ (+0330) David Cousens wrote:
:
Regards
Frank

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 20/02/2019 13:27, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> We always suggest to create at first and submit
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#The_glossary_file
> which has also some explanation of the terms.
>
> While we got your fa.po, we never got a glossary/fa.po from you.
> I know you are using the translation project and there they are not
> common, but sometimes they are handy. :-)

Frank, is this about eliding all references to debt or similar?  There
was another thread asking for references to mortgages to be removed.

I don't have a problem with Islamic finance, it just seems silly to me
to remove all references to it.  If  person doesn't like it they
shouldn't use it, that is their choice.  Denying the existence of
borrowing costing money or similar seems bizarre.

--
Wm

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
William,

Am 20.02.19 um 16:36 schrieb Wm via gnucash-devel:

> On 20/02/2019 13:27, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>
>> We always suggest to create at first and submit
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#The_glossary_file
>> which has also some explanation of the terms.
>>
>> While we got your fa.po, we never got a glossary/fa.po from you.
>> I know you are using the translation project and there they are not
>> common, but sometimes they are handy. :-)
>
> Frank, is this about eliding all references to debt or similar?  There
> was another thread asking for references to mortgages to be removed.
>
> I don't have a problem with Islamic finance, it just seems silly to me
> to remove all references to it.  If  person doesn't like it they
> shouldn't use it, that is their choice.  Denying the existence of
> borrowing costing money or similar seems bizarre.

From the page:
> This file contains a bunch of commonly used terms found in GnuCash -
and the explanation of a few very specific for GnuCash [...]

> If you detect an important term which is missing or could be better
explained, open a bug and add a patch for the source file gnc-glossary.txt.

I have also no problem with the Islamic perspective, which is the same
as the medieval Christian view.

Frank

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

> On Feb 19, 2019, at 8:38 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> in short if come across format specifiers you should leave them in place and
> just translate any bits of the stringeither side.

Not quite.

The translator's job is to make a complete idiomatic sentence in the target language with the substitution in the right place. Unfortunately the printf format used in most of our msgids can't reorder the substitutions if there's more than one so some creativity may be necessary to produce an intelligible result.

There should be a "Translators note" comment in the po file explaining what each substitution parameter contains; if not you need to go look at the code reference to figure it out.

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 20/02/2019 16:03, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> I have also no problem with the Islamic perspective, which is the same
> as the medieval Christian view.

I wasn't aware of that.  Thank you for informing me.
--
Wm