[GNC-dev] Translation

Hamidreza Jafari
Hello,

I am translating from English to Persian and see some problems.

1 - Many instances show an original poor literature or less thought-of string
of words put together. I have tried not improve on the destination language.
It seems I should.

2 - There are some parts of the application which I find contrary to what is a
major belief. That of interest. Can the application handle interest-free AKA
zero interest loans and mortgages?

3 - How to acquire clarification on individual strings? Post to the mailing
list per instance or is someone personally focusing on language issues?

Linux and open source conent has worked well for me. My decision makes a big
difference. Its success was compelling enough so that I set some of my time
and energy on doing this piece and at the same time think more about computing
and all its potiential in a tiny globe.

Hamid

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

John Ralls-2

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 7:15 PM, Hamidreza Jafari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am translating from English to Persian and see some problems.
>
> 1 - Many instances show an original poor literature or less thought-of string
> of words put together. I have tried not improve on the destination language.
> It seems I should.
>
> 2 - There are some parts of the application which I find contrary to what is a
> major belief. That of interest. Can the application handle interest-free AKA
> zero interest loans and mortgages?
>
> 3 - How to acquire clarification on individual strings? Post to the mailing
> list per instance or is someone personally focusing on language issues?
>
> Linux and open source conent has worked well for me. My decision makes a big
> difference. Its success was compelling enough so that I set some of my time
> and energy on doing this piece and at the same time think more about computing
> and all its potiential in a tiny globe.

Hamid,

Thanks for diving in. The Farsi translation has unfortunately lagged over the years and you’ve already made a substantial improvement in the number of translated strings.

We prefer that all discussions about development, including translation, occur either here, on the #gnucash IRC channel, on the bug tracker, or in Github pull requests. The mailing list has the widest audience, IRC is the most interactive as long as you’re asking when one of us is awake and online, and bug reports are the best place for posting things like crash stack traces, and Github is the best place for code reviews. I’ll leave it to you to decide which forum makes more sense for each case you want to discuss.

My understanding of sharia-based loans is limited; if I understand correctly the loan is simply paid back in even amounts with a negotiated premium. For example I might lend you $1000 to be paid back monthly over a year with a $20 premium, so $85/month. The calculations are simple enough that you can easily create the liability and the scheduled transaction for the 12 payments by hand, no assistant needed. Do you have more complicated cases in mind? Are there standard equations for calculating them?

Re: [GNC-dev] Translation

Christopher Lam
Reply for qu.2 below

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 11:16, Hamidreza Jafari <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 2 - There are some parts of the application which I find contrary to what
> is a
> major belief. That of interest. Can the application handle interest-free
> AKA
> zero interest loans and mortgages?

Of course GnuCash can handle them. Initial loan drawdown eg $100,000 on
1-1-1990, to be repaid in 100 monthly installments of $1000.

*Luckily I negotiated an interest-free loan.*
01/01/1990 Asset:Something +$100,000
01/01/1990 Liabilities:Loan -$100,000

*Every month for the next 100 months, I repay $1,000:*
01/02/1990 Asset:Bank -$1,000
01/02/1990 Liabilities:Loan +$1,000

01/03/1990 Asset:Bank -$1,000
01/03/1990 Liabilities:Loan +$1,000

etc...

and after 8 years or so of repayments, the Liabilities:Loan should reach
$0, debt repaid.
No interest payments are involved.

3 - How to acquire clarification on individual strings? Post to the mailing
> list per instance or is someone personally focusing on language issues?

IRC, gnucash-devel...

> Linux and open source conent has worked well for me. My decision makes a
> big
> difference. Its success was compelling enough so that I set some of my
> time
> and energy on doing this piece and at the same time think more about
> computing
> and all its potiential in a tiny globe.

Thank you for your efforts!