[GNC-dev] There was an error parsing the file...

[GNC-dev] There was an error parsing the file...

chris graves
I performed a git clone of the maint branch on July 31st, built and
have been using it successfully since.  Today I performed a git pull in
the unmodified clone.  Now using the freshly compiled gnucash, when opening a saved (via save as) copy
of a previously okay gnucash file I get the error:
"There was an error parsing the file".

Uncompressing and doing an sdiff -s on the original file and the non-working saved file:
mbp:gnucashSaves chris$ sdiff -s ok.gnucash bad.gnucash
                                                              >     xmlns:vendor="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/vendor"
                                                              >     xmlns:addr="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/addr"
                                                              >     xmlns:billterm="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/billterm"
                                                              >     xmlns:bt-days="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-days"
                                                              >     xmlns:bt-prox="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-prox"
                                                              >     xmlns:cust="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cust"
                                                              >     xmlns:employee="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/employee"
                                                              >     xmlns:entry="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/entry"
                                                              >     xmlns:invoice="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/invoice"
                                                              >     xmlns:job="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/job"
                                                              >     xmlns:order="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/order"
                                                              >     xmlns:owner="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/owner"
                                                              >     xmlns:taxtable="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/taxtable"
                                                              >     xmlns:tte="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/tte"
mbp:gnucashSaves chris$

It turns out that each of the above lines appears twice in the non-working file.  After
manually removing the duplicates, the file opens just fine.

Thoughts...

Re: [GNC-dev] There was an error parsing the file...

chris graves
Same thing happens when using the new build to create a new gnucash file.  Removing the duplicate lines allows the file to open, but they are placed right back at the next save.

> On Sep 16, 2018, at 11:56 AM, chris graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I performed a git clone of the maint branch on July 31st, built and
> have been using it successfully since.  Today I performed a git pull in
> the unmodified clone.  Now using the freshly compiled gnucash, when opening a saved (via save as) copy
> of a previously okay gnucash file I get the error:
> "There was an error parsing the file".
>
> Uncompressing and doing an sdiff -s on the original file and the non-working saved file:
> mbp:gnucashSaves chris$ sdiff -s ok.gnucash bad.gnucash
>      >     xmlns:vendor="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/vendor"
>      >     xmlns:addr="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/addr"
>      >     xmlns:billterm="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/billterm"
>      >     xmlns:bt-days="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-days"
>      >     xmlns:bt-prox="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-prox"
>      >     xmlns:cust="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cust"
>      >     xmlns:employee="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/employee"
>      >     xmlns:entry="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/entry"
>      >     xmlns:invoice="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/invoice"
>      >     xmlns:job="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/job"
>      >     xmlns:order="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/order"
>      >     xmlns:owner="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/owner"
>      >     xmlns:taxtable="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/taxtable"
>      >     xmlns:tte="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/tte"
> mbp:gnucashSaves chris$
>
> It turns out that each of the above lines appears twice in the non-working file.  After
> manually removing the duplicates, the file opens just fine.
>
> Thoughts...

Re: [GNC-dev] There was an error parsing the file...

John Ralls-2

> On Sep 17, 2018, at 8:00 AM, chris graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same thing happens when using the new build to create a new gnucash file.  Removing the duplicate lines allows the file to open, but they are placed right back at the next save.
>
>> On Sep 16, 2018, at 11:56 AM, chris graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I performed a git clone of the maint branch on July 31st, built and
>> have been using it successfully since.  Today I performed a git pull in
>> the unmodified clone.  Now using the freshly compiled gnucash, when opening a saved (via save as) copy
>> of a previously okay gnucash file I get the error:
>> "There was an error parsing the file".
>>
>> Uncompressing and doing an sdiff -s on the original file and the non-working saved file:
>> mbp:gnucashSaves chris$ sdiff -s ok.gnucash bad.gnucash
>>      >     xmlns:vendor="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/vendor"
>>      >     xmlns:addr="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/addr"
>>      >     xmlns:billterm="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/billterm"
>>      >     xmlns:bt-days="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-days"
>>      >     xmlns:bt-prox="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-prox"
>>      >     xmlns:cust="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cust"
>>      >     xmlns:employee="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/employee"
>>      >     xmlns:entry="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/entry"
>>      >     xmlns:invoice="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/invoice"
>>      >     xmlns:job="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/job"
>>      >     xmlns:order="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/order"
>>      >     xmlns:owner="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/owner"
>>      >     xmlns:taxtable="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/taxtable"
>>      >     xmlns:tte="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/tte"
>> mbp:gnucashSaves chris$
>>
>> It turns out that each of the above lines appears twice in the non-working file.  After
>> manually removing the duplicates, the file opens just fine.
>>
>> Thoughts...
>
> __

I couldn't replicate this.

What accounts did you select in the New Account Hierarchy Setup Assistant?

Is your system set to English/United States as your email address suggests it might be?

Re: [GNC-dev] There was an error parsing the file...

chris graves

> On Sep 17, 2018, at 9:53 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 17, 2018, at 8:00 AM, chris graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Same thing happens when using the new build to create a new gnucash file.  Removing the duplicate lines allows the file to open, but they are placed right back at the next save.
>>
>>> On Sep 16, 2018, at 11:56 AM, chris graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I performed a git clone of the maint branch on July 31st, built and
>>> have been using it successfully since.  Today I performed a git pull in
>>> the unmodified clone.  Now using the freshly compiled gnucash, when opening a saved (via save as) copy
>>> of a previously okay gnucash file I get the error:
>>> "There was an error parsing the file".
>>>
>>> Uncompressing and doing an sdiff -s on the original file and the non-working saved file:
>>> mbp:gnucashSaves chris$ sdiff -s ok.gnucash bad.gnucash
>>>      >     xmlns:vendor="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/vendor"
>>>      >     xmlns:addr="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/addr"
>>>      >     xmlns:billterm="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/billterm"
>>>      >     xmlns:bt-days="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-days"
>>>      >     xmlns:bt-prox="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/bt-prox"
>>>      >     xmlns:cust="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/cust"
>>>      >     xmlns:employee="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/employee"
>>>      >     xmlns:entry="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/entry"
>>>      >     xmlns:invoice="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/invoice"
>>>      >     xmlns:job="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/job"
>>>      >     xmlns:order="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/order"
>>>      >     xmlns:owner="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/owner"
>>>      >     xmlns:taxtable="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/taxtable"
>>>      >     xmlns:tte="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/tte"
>>> mbp:gnucashSaves chris$
>>>
>>> It turns out that each of the above lines appears twice in the non-working file.  After
>>> manually removing the duplicates, the file opens just fine.
>>>
>>> Thoughts...
>>
>> __
>
> I couldn't replicate this.
>
> What accounts did you select in the New Account Hierarchy Setup Assistant?
>
> Is your system set to English/United States as your email address suggests it might be?

I took all the defaults.
Yes, English/United States.

Re: [GNC-dev] There was an error parsing the file...

chris graves
Looks like the problem was that I did not remove the Gnucash files from the installation directory between builds.  Once done, the problem has not resurfaced.

Lesson learned.