[GNC-dev] The Next Hangup

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
OK, so I thought it would be nice to look at the changes I am implementing in the documentation in PDF format, since I am rather old school, and like to see the changes in a print format.

I went to the wiki, and followed the new directions there to try to compile pdf documentation.

First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.

Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:

configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.

Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this; a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18> to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions

Issuing “make pdf” however, yielded:
Making pdf in C
fo 'gnucash-guide.fo' -pdf 'gnucash-guide.pdf'
make[1]: fo: No such file or directory
make[1]: [gnucash-guide.pdf] Error 1 (ignored)

This is repeated for each of the language trees. Digging around on the Apache FOP pages led me down some scenic paths, but nothing seemed to shed light on the problem.

Suggestions welcome.

[GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

Frank H. Ellenberger-3

Am 14.09.18 um 03:55 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> OK, so I thought it would be nice to look at the changes I am implementing in the documentation in PDF format, since I am rather old school, and like to see the changes in a print format.
>
> I went to the wiki, and followed the new directions there to try to compile pdf documentation.

which page?

> First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.
>
> Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:
>
> configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.
>
> Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this;

Such dependencies are usually in a specific README.dependencies or
direct in the README[.md] file.

> a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18> to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions

Strange, I had only to install a package xmlgraphics-fop, but Macos
might behave different.

Result of 'which fop' returns a usable path like "/usr/bin/fop"?
Then it is time to rerun configure in your build directory, which will
add the path to the makefiles.

> Issuing “make pdf” however, yielded:
> Making pdf in C
> fo 'gnucash-guide.fo' -pdf 'gnucash-guide.pdf> make[1]: fo: No such file or directory
> make[1]: [gnucash-guide.pdf] Error 1 (ignored)

My output for branch maint, started in the root of my build directoryy:
> make pdf
Making pdf in help
make[1]: Verzeichnis „/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/build/help“ wird betreten
Making pdf in C
make[2]: Verzeichnis „/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/build/help/C“ wird
betreten
/usr/bin/xsltproc  --stringparam paper.type A4 -o 'gnucash-help.fo'
--stringparam fop1.extensions 1
/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/xsl/1.75.2/fo/docbook.xsl
'/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/help/C/gnucash-help.xml'
Making portrait pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)
/usr/bin/fop  -fo 'gnucash-help.fo' -pdf 'gnucash-help.pdf'
Sep 14, 2018 7:38:26 AM org.apache.fop.apps.FopConfParser configure
INFORMATION: Default page-height set to: 11.00in
Sep 14, 2018 7:38:26 AM org.apache.fop.apps.FopConfParser configure
INFORMATION: Default page-width set to: 8.50in
Sep 14, 2018 7:38:27 AM org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent processEvent
WARNUNG: Unable to load font file:
file:/usr/share/fonts/texlive-avantgar/uagdo8a.pfb. Reason:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Neither an AFM nor a PFM file was found
for file:/usr/share/fonts/texlive-avantgar/uagdo8a.pfb

So I need to reinstall a few fonts...

> This is repeated for each of the language trees. Digging around on the Apache FOP pages led me down some scenic paths, but nothing seemed to shed light on the problem.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> David

Hope this helps a few steps further.
Frank

Re: [GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Prepare_The_Build_Directory

>> First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.
>>
>> Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:
>>
>> configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.
>>
>> Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this;
>Such dependencies are usually in a specific README.dependencies or
>direct in the README[.md] file.
>> a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18>; to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions
>Strange, I had only to install a package xmlgraphics-fop, but Macos
>might behave different.
>Result of 'which fop' returns a usable path like "/usr/bin/fop"?I

That seems odd; the install page at Apache says it's a java app, and installation consists of copying jar files. No mention of /usr/bin...

Unfortunately, MacOS is different. Maybe John has advice for me...

>Hope this helps a few steps further.
>Frank

Re: [GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

Adrien Monteleone-2
David,

fop is available via Homebrew for Mac. I don’t use Fink or MacPorts so can’t speak for them.

Perhaps that route will prove fruitful.

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 6:49 AM, D via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On September 14, 2018, at 1:59 AM, "Frank H. Ellenberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 14.09.18 um 03:55 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
>>> OK, so I thought it would be nice to look at the changes I am implementing in the documentation in PDF format, since I am rather old school, and like to see the changes in a print format.
>>>
>>> I went to the wiki, and followed the new directions there to try to compile pdf documentation.
>> which page?
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Prepare_The_Build_Directory
>

>>> First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.
>>>
>>> Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:
>>>
>>> configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.
>>>
>>> Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this;
>> Such dependencies are usually in a specific README.dependencies or
>> direct in the README[.md] file.
>>> a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18>; to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions
>> Strange, I had only to install a package xmlgraphics-fop, but Macos
>> might behave different.
>> Result of 'which fop' returns a usable path like "/usr/bin/fop"?I
>
> That seems odd; the install page at Apache says it's a java app, and installation consists of copying jar files. No mention of /usr/bin...
>
> Unfortunately, MacOS is different. Maybe John has advice for me...
>
>> Hope this helps a few steps further.
>> Frank
>
> David

Re: [GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
I saw that option before, but having gone the Fink route in the past, I had hoped not to incur the overhead (both computing and psychic) that those tools impose.

I bit the bullet and gave Brew a try. It wasn’t difficult at all, and fop now works. Thanks for reminding me.

David

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 9:31 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> fop is available via Homebrew for Mac. I don’t use Fink or MacPorts so can’t speak for them.
>
> Perhaps that route will prove fruitful.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Re: [GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 4:49 AM, D via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On September 14, 2018, at 1:59 AM, "Frank H. Ellenberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 14.09.18 um 03:55 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
>>> OK, so I thought it would be nice to look at the changes I am implementing in the documentation in PDF format, since I am rather old school, and like to see the changes in a print format.
>>>
>>> I went to the wiki, and followed the new directions there to try to compile pdf documentation.
>> which page?
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#Prepare_The_Build_Directory
>

>>> First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.
>>>
>>> Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:
>>>
>>> configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.
>>>
>>> Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this;
>> Such dependencies are usually in a specific README.dependencies or
>> direct in the README[.md] file.
>>> a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18>; to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions
>> Strange, I had only to install a package xmlgraphics-fop, but Macos
>> might behave different.
>> Result of 'which fop' returns a usable path like "/usr/bin/fop"?I
>
> That seems odd; the install page at Apache says it's a java app, and installation consists of copying jar files. No mention of /usr/bin...
>
> Unfortunately, MacOS is different. Maybe John has advice for me...

I build the docs for distribution on a Linux VM so I’ve never installed FOP directly on MacOS.

The catch is the invocation of FOP: The instructions on the page you gave just copy jars to ~/Library/Java/Extensions and say to invoke it with
  java  java org.apache.fop.cli.Main -fo
pdf.make wants to just say “fop” so you need a to arrange for that with a two-line shell file
  #!/bin/sh
  java  java org.apache.fop.cli.Main -fo $@
named fop and somewhere on the path.

Re: [GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
John,

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 10:11 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2018, at 4:49 AM, D via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That seems odd; the install page at Apache says it's a java app, and installation consists of copying jar files. No mention of /usr/bin...
>>
>> Unfortunately, MacOS is different. Maybe John has advice for me...
>
> I build the docs for distribution on a Linux VM so I’ve never installed FOP directly on MacOS.
>
> The catch is the invocation of FOP: The instructions on the page you gave just copy jars to ~/Library/Java/Extensions and say to invoke it with
>  java  java org.apache.fop.cli.Main -fo
> pdf.make wants to just say “fop” so you need a to arrange for that with a two-line shell file
>  #!/bin/sh
>  java  java org.apache.fop.cli.Main -fo $@
> named fop and somewhere on the path.

Thanks for the info. I went the Brew route, which put the executable in /usr/local/bin for me.