[GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Hamidreza Jafari
Hello,

I have set options for individual mails and no digest. Yet the latest reply
was in the form of digest which is not suitable for replying. How to reply to
the previous email titled 'Translation'?

Regards,
Hamid

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hello Hamid,

Am 11.12.18 um 07:08 schrieb Hamidreza Jafari:

> Hello,
>
> I have set options for individual mails and no digest. Yet the latest reply
> was in the form of digest which is not suitable for replying. How to reply to
> the previous email titled 'Translation'?
>
> Regards,
> Hamid

Disable "Would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

Regards
Frank

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Thomas Baumgart-2
Hello Frank et al,

Isn't that https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/options/gnucash-devel instead?

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

https://www.signal.org/       Signal, the better WhatsApp

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Other than setting your options properly, (note, it does say you might receive *one* more digest) or manually typing a new mail, you can use one of the following methods:

Method A:

1. Use the Reply button/link of your e-mail client
2. Copy the subject line of the message you want to reply to and paste it over the generic digest subject line
3. Erase all but the relevant message from the quoted text.
4. Add your reply and send as normal

Method B:

2. Next to the sender of that message is a mailto: link *to the list address* and with the proper subject already populated - click it.
3. This will open a new mail, ready to go in your e-mail client. (this won’t work for webmail)
4. It won’t quote any of the previous message so you’ll need to copy and paste as needed. Your client will probably have a feature to raise or lower quote levels, adjust as desired.
5. Add your reply and send as normal.

> On Dec 11, 2018, at 12:08 AM, Hamidreza Jafari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have set options for individual mails and no digest. Yet the latest reply
> was in the form of digest which is not suitable for replying. How to reply to
> the previous email titled 'Translation'?
>
> Regards,
> Hamid

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Derek Atkins-3

On Tue, December 11, 2018 5:40 am, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> Hello Frank et al,
>
> On Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2018 07:53:43 CET Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>
>> Hello Hamid,

[snip]

>> Go to this link:
>>
>> Disable "Would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"
>
> Isn't that https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/options/gnucash-devel
> instead?

The first page gets you to the login page, then you login and go to the
options page to set the options.

I don't think we should change the link on the bottom of the emails, only
because we don't know *which* mailman page the user might want to get to.
To unsubscribe you need to be at the top-level page.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Thomas Baumgart-2
Hi Derek,

On Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2018 17:56:18 CET you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, December 11, 2018 5:40 am, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> > Hello Frank et al,
> >
> > On Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2018 07:53:43 CET Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Hamid,
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Go to this link:
> >>
> >> Disable "Would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"
> >
> > Isn't that https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/options/gnucash-devel
> > instead?
>
> The first page gets you to the login page, then you login and go to the
> options page to set the options.
>
> I don't think we should change the link on the bottom of the emails, only
> because we don't know *which* mailman page the user might want to get to.
> To unsubscribe you need to be at the top-level page.
You're right, the login is a bit hidden. No need to change anything of course and sorry for the noise.

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

https://www.signal.org/       Signal, the better WhatsApp

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Dear Hamid,

Hamidreza Jafari <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have set options for individual mails and no digest. Yet the latest reply
> was in the form of digest which is not suitable for replying. How to reply to
> the previous email titled 'Translation'?

I am not sure how you got a digest; John's reply included you
specifically.  Or was this a reply in a different thread?

The standard operating procedure here is to "Reply-List" or
"Reply-All".  In John's case he used Reply-All so you should have
received an individual message (with the list in a CC).

You would only receive a digest if you set the list to send you digests
-- or if you're using a third-party access (like gmane or nabble) and
have *THAT* set to digests.  In that case you're on your own -- we do
not support those third-party services.

Good Luck,

> Regards,
> Hamid

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Hamidreza Jafari
Hello,

I am very sure I checked all options since I knew I was going to send
replies. I did not expect a digest. I am using plain Kmail as client with
no fancy configuration.

Regards,
Hamid

در چهارشنبه ۱۲ دسامبر ۲۰۱۸،‏ ۳:۵۷ Derek Atkins <[hidden email] نوشت:

> Dear Hamid,
>
> Hamidreza Jafari <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have set options for individual mails and no digest. Yet the latest
> reply
> > was in the form of digest which is not suitable for replying. How to
> reply to
> > the previous email titled 'Translation'?
>
> I am not sure how you got a digest; John's reply included you
> specifically.  Or was this a reply in a different thread?
>
> The standard operating procedure here is to "Reply-List" or
> "Reply-All".  In John's case he used Reply-All so you should have
> received an individual message (with the list in a CC).
>
> You would only receive a digest if you set the list to send you digests
> -- or if you're using a third-party access (like gmane or nabble) and
> have *THAT* set to digests.  In that case you're on your own -- we do
> not support those third-party services.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> > Regards,
> > Hamid

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Hamidreza Jafari <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am very sure I checked all options since I knew I was going to send
> replies. I did not expect a digest. I am using plain Kmail as client with
> no fancy configuration.

Are you still receiving digest emails?
If so, could you please forward to me (off list) the mail headers so I
can take a look?

> Hamid

Re: [GNC-dev] Replying to thread

Hamidreza Jafari
Hello,

Individual emails are showing up. Thanks for the notice.

Regards,
Hamid