[GNC-dev] Pie Chart

123

[GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Stephen M. Butler
Not sure which pie you wanted me to review.  I picked the Asset one for
first blush look.

1.  The Account tab scroll bar color is the same as the background color
for the selected accounts.  Makes it impossible to see the scroll bar
until moved to a non-selected set of accounts.  (Two screen shots
attached).  I haven't setup any color scheme so am using the defaults.

2.  For personal books, I have setup the "company name" as "The Butler
Family".  It didn't show on the title.  For the Balance Sheet report, I
have it setup as:

  Balance Sheet

    The Butler Family

      12/31/2019

3.  Not sure I like the default end-date to be the end of the accounting
period.  Not sure which one I prefer though:

            Today -- most times I select that.

            End Prior Month -- I think most accountants would want that
most of the time.

4.  Which brings me to a topic not specific to any of these reports.  I
know you can save a configuration.  But, then you have to remember to go
to the saved select to pick what you had previously saved.

Enhancement Request:  Make a way that the user can change the defaults
for a report and have those saved so they become the new defaults and
are picked up whenever the report is selected again.

I have been toying with doing the saved reports a different way.

A.  Tie the saved configuration to the base report (maybe via the
reports GUID).

B.  Allow multiple configurations for the report to be saved with each
having a configuration specific name/title/id or whatever.  One of which
is "Default".

C.  Allow user to update the configurations and save back over the top
of a specific named configuration.

D.  Multiple reports could each have the same configuration name -- but
would be different due to the report GUID (or whatever used to identify
the report).

E.  When report is first selected, get the "Default" configuration and
use that.  If no "Default" and there are saved configurations, then list
the saved configurations for that report and let the user pick one to be
used.  If no saved, then use the factory default.

I haven't looked at the current saved configurations to see how they are
setup so I may be totally out of line here.  My vague thoughts are this
could be an XML backend with the report ID being the major selected, the
config name the second selection, and then each set option would have
its ID/Value pairs listed.

I've even thought so far as if there were ID/Value pairs not listed but
being used by the report, it would walk back up the configuration Tree
looking at "Default" and then the factory settings to resolve a missing
value.  So far, I only see three levels to this tree:   Factory,
"Default", and "Named" config.

But, you didn't ask me for that!  What, in particular, would you like me
to review?

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Screenshot from 2019-01-27 13-38-25.png (246K) Download Attachment
Screenshot from 2019-01-27 13-39-11.png (265K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam
Erm.

None of these...

All feedback below relates to UI / styling.

Mainly need beta-testing the new charting infrastructure, upgraded from
jqplot to chartJS. Is there any noticeable change? Any bugs? Notice
interactivity -- try clicking on chart, and compare behaviour with
previous jqplot-based charts. Also notice linecharts changed from x/y to
category/amount which will be neater.

On 28/1/19 6:22 am, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
> the saved configurations for that report and let the user pick one to be
> used.  If no saved, then use the factory default.
>

> I haven't looked at the current saved configurations to see how they are
> setup so I may be totally out of line here.  My vague thoughts are this
> could be an XML backend with the report ID being the major selected, the
> config name the second selection, and then each set option would have
> its ID/Value pairs listed.
>
> I've even thought so far as if there were ID/Value pairs not listed but
> being used by the report, it would walk back up the configuration Tree
> looking at "Default" and then the factory settings to resolve a missing
> value.  So far, I only see three levels to this tree:   Factory,
> "Default", and "Named" config.
>
> But, you didn't ask me for that!  What, in particular, would you like me

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Stephen M. Butler
Oh.

Confession.  I don't look at pie, bar, graph, etc charts.  So, I'd need
both versions installed and switch back and forth.

How do I get  both  versions available?  Without uninstalling one and
installing the other every time I wanted to compare the results!

I might be the wrong guy for this job!

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam
You could try creating a local build via ninja (documented in wiki). Thanks
for beta testing.

On Mon., 28 Jan. 2019, 06:43 Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> >> the saved configurations for that report and let the user pick one to be
> >> used.  If no saved, then use the factory default.
> >>

> >> I haven't looked at the current saved configurations to see how they are
> >> setup so I may be totally out of line here.  My vague thoughts are this
> >> could be an XML backend with the report ID being the major selected, the
> >> config name the second selection, and then each set option would have
> >> its ID/Value pairs listed.
> >>
> >> I've even thought so far as if there were ID/Value pairs not listed but
> >> being used by the report, it would walk back up the configuration Tree
> >> looking at "Default" and then the factory settings to resolve a missing
> >> value.  So far, I only see three levels to this tree:   Factory,
> >> "Default", and "Named" config.
> >>
> >> But, you didn't ask me for that!  What, in particular, would you like me

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam
p.s. from your screenshots, it would seem that the charts are working well.

Hint: new features added, and old features resurrected:
- clicky links from pie/line/bar graphs to drill down into
sub-charts,sub-reports, or register (this was disabled >10yrs ago?)
- fixed formatting amounts/axes, labelling currencies, etc
- budget barchart removed restrictive date selection (because budgets
already have their own dates)
- internally a much cleaner approach
- some animation

otherwise most/all charts should be working exactly as they previously
were, and should be nearly 100% compatible with the saved-reports in 3.x
(except budget barchart)

feedback required: any unexpected changes, compatibility issues with
previous jqplot charts.

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 14:42, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You could try creating a local build via ninja (documented in wiki).
> Thanks for beta testing.
>
> On Mon., 28 Jan. 2019, 06:43 Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Oh.
>>
>> Confession.  I don't look at pie, bar, graph, etc charts.  So, I'd need
>> both versions installed and switch back and forth.
>>
>> How do I get  both  versions available?  Without uninstalling one and
>> installing the other every time I wanted to compare the results!
>>
>> I might be the wrong guy for this job!
>>
>> --Steve
>>

>> On 1/27/19 2:29 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:
>> > Erm.
>> >
>> > None of these...
>> >
>> > All feedback below relates to UI / styling.
>> >
>> > Mainly need beta-testing the new charting infrastructure, upgraded
>> > from jqplot to chartJS. Is there any noticeable change? Any bugs?
>> > Notice interactivity -- try clicking on chart, and compare behaviour
>> > with previous jqplot-based charts. Also notice linecharts changed from
>> > x/y to category/amount which will be neater.

>> color

>> accounting

>> that

>> go

>> which

>> list
>> be

>> are
>> the

>> me
>> >>

>> --
>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

stephen.m.butler51
My first problem is figuring why my compile script stopped working.   I was out most of yesterday and out most of today.
Yes, the first round didn't show any anomalies.

-------- Original message --------From: Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> Date: 1/29/19  07:45  (GMT-08:00) To:  Cc: gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

wrote:

> You could try creating a local build via ninja (documented in wiki).
> Thanks for beta testing.
>
> On Mon., 28 Jan. 2019, 06:43 Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Oh.
>>
>> Confession.  I don't look at pie, bar, graph, etc charts.  So, I'd need
>> both versions installed and switch back and forth.
>>
>> How do I get  both  versions available?  Without uninstalling one and
>> installing the other every time I wanted to compare the results!
>>
>> I might be the wrong guy for this job!
>>
>> --Steve
>>

>> On 1/27/19 2:29 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:
>> > Erm.
>> >
>> > None of these...
>> >
>> > All feedback below relates to UI / styling.
>> >
>> > Mainly need beta-testing the new charting infrastructure, upgraded
>> > from jqplot to chartJS. Is there any noticeable change? Any bugs?
>> > Notice interactivity -- try clicking on chart, and compare behaviour
>> > with previous jqplot-based charts. Also notice linecharts changed from
>> > x/y to category/amount which will be neater.

>> color

>> accounting

>> that

>> go

>> which

>> list
>> be

>> are
>> the

>> me
>> >>

>> --
>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Stephen M. Butler
Did some more poking around (chris/...--> gnucash 3.4-66).  All looks
very good.  I clicked on some of the pretty colors and the behavior
didn't "select" the color like main 3.4-50 does.  It seemed rather odd
that the "old" version selected to area since there wasn't anything I
could figure out to do with it!

At least the new code didn't make the color change and thus didn't hint
that something could be done.  I did like being able to click on the
legend and see those sections of the pie-chart removed and the others
expand to fill the space.  Nice touch.

So far, my only negative is with the Average balance chart.  It's too
tall and I lose the captions at the bottom (I maybe see 1 or 2 pixels of
them).  When I scroll down then I lose the chart title at the top.  I am
running 1920x1080 (16:9)

On 1/29/19 7:45 AM, Christopher Lam wrote:
> p.s. from your screenshots, it would seem that the charts are working well.
>
> Hint: new features added, and old features resurrected:
> - clicky links from pie/line/bar graphs to drill down into
> sub-charts,sub-reports, or register (this was disabled >10yrs ago?)

SMB:  I don't think I made it to the register.  Just saw the
non-selected sections expand to fill the pie.

SMB:  As I hoovered over the line section (or pie section) the
associated info was shown.

> - fixed formatting amounts/axes, labelling currencies, etc
> - budget barchart removed restrictive date selection (because budgets
> already have their own dates)
SMB:  I don't have budgets so these reported the problem but didn't show
anything (nothing to show).
> - internally a much cleaner approach
> - some animation
SMB:  It was smooth on my display.  Expanded and contracted quickly but
smoothly.

> otherwise most/all charts should be working exactly as they previously
> were, and should be nearly 100% compatible with the saved-reports in 3.x
> (except budget barchart)
>
> feedback required: any unexpected changes, compatibility issues with
> previous jqplot charts.

SMB:  None that I could spot while kicking and poking it.

SMB:  At least you have the end-of-year set correctly.  origin/maint
3.4-50 has a problem.  Separate email.

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 14:42, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> You could try creating a local build via ninja (documented in wiki).
>> Thanks for beta testing.
>>
>> On Mon., 28 Jan. 2019, 06:43 Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Oh.
>>>
>>> Confession.  I don't look at pie, bar, graph, etc charts.  So, I'd need
>>> both versions installed and switch back and forth.
>>>
>>> How do I get  both  versions available?  Without uninstalling one and
>>> installing the other every time I wanted to compare the results!
>>>
>>> I might be the wrong guy for this job!
>>>
>>> --Steve

>>> color

>>> accounting

>>> that

>>> go

>>> which

>>> list
>>> be

>>> are
>>> the

>>> me
>>>>>

>>> --
>>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 253-350-0166

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam
Hello

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 09:31, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So far, my only negative is with the Average balance chart.  It's too
> tall and I lose the captions at the bottom (I maybe see 1 or 2 pixels of
> them).  When I scroll down then I lose the chart title at the top.  I am
> running 1920x1080 (16:9)

Agree - this is caused by *all* charts default to use 100% page size; I
think they should be reduced to 80%, with no (IMHO) negative consequences.

> Hint: new features added, and old features resurrected:
> > - clicky links from pie/line/bar graphs to drill down into
> > sub-charts,sub-reports, or register (this was disabled >10yrs ago?)
>
> SMB:  I don't think I made it to the register.  Just saw the
> non-selected sections expand to fill the pie.

Try: Asset/Income/Expense/Liability Chart and keep drilling down.
I think the Income/Expense over time may be modified to launch the
Transaction Report highlighting relevant period. TBD tonight :)

> SMB:  At least you have the end-of-year set correctly.  origin/maint
> 3.4-50 has a problem.  Separate email.

This end-of-year is the exact same bug currently affecting maint. My branch
currently reverts the offending commit, so, cannot be considered safe to
ship, but is adequate for testing. Thank you for feedback!

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Stephen M. Butler
Took me awhile to figure out how to drill down.  Double clicking didn't
do it.  I finally noticed the small print in the upper left corner that
I eventually determined said "load".  Clicking that took me to the child
accounts of the one originally clicked.  However, there was no "unload"
to go back up a level.  Only path was deeper.

Once at the deepest account, the transaction window did open and it was
easy to close that -- but still no method to back out to the original
chart (that I could determine).

I wonder if there is something more intuitive than the small print
"load" to do a drill down.

OK.  Accidentally found the "back" option under the right click.  Only
found it because I was thinking that a double click would be a natural
go deeper signal -- so what would be a corresponding "go back" signal?
Double right click??  Tried that and found that right click did bring up
the option menu to navigate back.

So then started playing with the options on the right click.  Found that
forward worked the same as "load" but only until at the lowest account.
Had to left click and then click on "load" to get the transaction
listing.  To be consistent, the Forward menu item should also work in
that case and bring up the transaction details.

I tried the "Inspect Element" item and decided I didn't want to know
what that was about!  <<grin>>

Hmm.  Forward isn't consistent.  Only available if you have previously
gone down a level by clicking on load.

So you have to left click on the area of interest then left click on
load and only then will the Forward/Back items on the right click be
available.  That's awkward.

How about a double left click automatically goes down on the area
clicked or always allow a Forward if the user right clicks on the area.
In that case go deeper on the area on which the left click happened.  Or
allow both methods.  I'm thinking the "load" in the upper left is
cumbersome and rather not have it.

Never could figure out when the "stop" item is available.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam
Thanks for feedback.

Most of these issues are not caused by reports but rather webkit/UI issues
:) I haven't found way to trigger report drill-down without an intermediate
"Load" anchor.

Try refreshing my branch. Latest developments: the yAxis amounts are now
formatted correctly according to locale; US users see "$1,000.00" "€1,000.00
*"* whereas some EU users wil see "1.000,00 $" "1.000,00 €*"*. These things
matter in an internationally focussed program :)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 09:56, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > consequences.
> >
> >     > Hint: new features added, and old features resurrected:
> >     > - clicky links from pie/line/bar graphs to drill down into
> >     > sub-charts,sub-reports, or register (this was disabled >10yrs ago?)
> >
> >     SMB:  I don't think I made it to the register.  Just saw the
> >     non-selected sections expand to fill the pie.
> >

> > Try: Asset/Income/Expense/Liability Chart and keep drilling down.
> > I think the Income/Expense over time may be modified to launch the
> > Transaction Report highlighting relevant period. TBD tonight :)
> >

> >     SMB:  At least you have the end-of-year set correctly.  origin/maint
> >     3.4-50 has a problem.  Separate email.
> >

> > This end-of-year is the exact same bug currently affecting maint. My
> > branch currently reverts the offending commit, so, cannot be
> > considered safe to ship, but is adequate for testing. Thank you for

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam
Also latest developments will modify budget bar chart to specify budget
periods rather than absolute dates, similar to budget.scm :-)

On Thu., 31 Jan. 2019, 22:05 Christopher Lam <[hidden email]
wrote:

> Thanks for feedback.
>
> Most of these issues are not caused by reports but rather webkit/UI issues
> :) I haven't found way to trigger report drill-down without an intermediate
> "Load" anchor.
>
> Try refreshing my branch. Latest developments: the yAxis amounts are now
> formatted correctly according to locale; US users see "$1,000.00" "€1,000.00
> *"* whereas some EU users wil see "1.000,00 $" "1.000,00 €*"*. These
> things matter in an internationally focussed program :)

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 27/01/2019 22:22, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> But, you didn't ask me for that!  What, in particular, would you like me
> to review?

you are giving way to much personal information

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 31/01/2019 01:56, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> Took me awhile to figure out how to drill down.

Ummm, you appear to be less capable than the people trying to help you.

To me this is a Trump supporter so obviously.

If you follow the conversation, the idiot is Stephen, everyone is trying
too help his tiny brain.
--
Wm

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

David Carlson-4
Wm,

you are at it again.  We need to help your tiny brain.

David

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:09 AM Wm via gnucash-devel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31/01/2019 01:56, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> > Took me awhile to figure out how to drill down.
>
> Ummm, you appear to be less capable than the people trying to help you.
>
> To me this is a Trump supporter so obviously.
>
> If you follow the conversation, the idiot is Stephen, everyone is trying
> too help his tiny brain.
> --
> Wm

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Stephen M. Butler
On 1/31/19 6:33 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:
> Also latest developments will modify budget bar chart to specify budget
> periods rather than absolute dates, similar to budget.scm :-)
Sorry, unable to test as I haven't set up budgets -- and don't want to
either <<grin>>.

Rather take advantage of the heat wave and remove some dead trees from the property.

--Steve

On 1/31/19 6:05 AM, Christopher Lam wrote:
> Thanks for feedback.
>
> Most of these issues are not caused by reports but rather webkit/UI
> issues :) I haven't found way to trigger report drill-down without an
> intermediate "Load" anchor.

Hopefully you can request an enhancement from them.

> Try refreshing my branch. Latest developments: the yAxis amounts are
> now formatted correctly according to locale; US users see "$1,000.00"
> "€1,000.00*"* whereas some EU users wil see "1.000,00 $" "1.000,00
> €*"*. These things matter in an internationally focussed program :)

The scaling looks much better.  Hopefully you have an EU person that can
validate their experience.  It looks good from the US perspective.

> [...]
>     >
>     >
>     > Try: Asset/Income/Expense/Liability Chart and keep drilling down.
>     > I think the Income/Expense over time may be modified to launch the
>
>     Rather take advantage of the heat wave and remove some dead trees from the property.
>
>     > Transaction Report highlighting relevant period. TBD tonight :)
>     >
>     >
>     >     SMB:  At least you have the end-of-year set correctly.
>     origin/maint
>     >     3.4-50 has a problem.  Separate email.
>     >
>     >
>     > This end-of-year is the exact same bug currently affecting maint. My
>     > branch currently reverts the offending commit, so, cannot be
>     > considered safe to ship, but is adequate for testing. Thank you for

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Christopher Lam

>> Most of these issues are not caused by reports but rather webkit/UI
>> issues :) I haven't found way to trigger report drill-down without an
>> intermediate "Load" anchor.
> Hopefully you can request an enhancement from them.

It's an internal webkit issue and too difficult to fix. I think the
intermediate "Load" button is a safe approach for now.

Try refreshing -- I've increased visibility of this button. I do not
think it will be straightforward to skip the 2-step drilldown for now.

Will need feedback on various links between reports -- although the
links "work", I'm still not 100% sure the links make sense.

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 01/02/2019 16:05, David Carlson wrote:
> Wm,
>
> you are at it again.  We need to help your tiny brain.

Liz!  Help!  the bad people are talking amongst themselves!

FFS, grow up dullard.

Re: [GNC-dev] Pie Chart

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 29/01/2019 18:12, stephen.m.butler51 wrote:
> My first problem is figuring why my compile script stopped working.   I was out most of yesterday and out most of today.
> Yes, the first round didn't show any anomalies.

Why the Trump do you think anyone is interested in your day to day
movements you self obsessed buffoon?

If you want to tell someone you went to the toilet use Facebook, FFS
--
Wm

[GNC-dev] Further feedback

Christopher Lam
Hi Stephen

If possible I'd be grateful if you would check my branch
maint-scheme-progress

  * cd gnucash
  * git fetch --all
  * git checkout chris/maint-scheme-progress
  * dpkg etc (note there will be gnc-date error - ignore)

Main issues for feedback:

  * Reconciliation report modified header hopefully is satisfactory

Thank you, your (and house accountant) feedback *very* much appreciated!

123