[GNC-dev] Missing Package

Stephen M. Butler
>/On Sep 25, 2019, at 10:50 AM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at
gmail.com <https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel>>
wrote: /
Guys,

You're off on the wrong tack. Those are cmake tests to determine if certain functions are present and it's expected for some of them to fail. They cause preprocessor variables to be set or not and there are checks in the code that adjust what functions are called depending on those preprocessor variables.

There's seldom any need to look at CMakeOutput.txt or CMakeError.txt, and you need a good understanding of how build systems work first in order to interpret them. Just look at what cmake writes to the terminal, that almost always tells you what's wrong in simple terms.

John,

Sorry, I deleted this before responding and had to grab a copy from the
archives.

My wife says I can't see anything right in front of my face!!  That must
be true in this case.  I started from the point of building a minimal
Disco schroot environment.  Knowing that GnC compiles in my environment
under the full Disco set of packages but fails with the below snippet
from the end of the string of messages, I made the presumption that the
failure was due to a package missing in the minimal environment.

Hopefully, if we can figure this out for Disco under schroot, then we
can do Bionic in a similar environment.

So, given the below, what am I not seeing that I should see (and thus
fix)!  Or, have I not gone back far enough to catch the critical
message?  My initial thought is that something to do with pthreads isn't
loaded in the minimal environment.

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_42272/fast"
make[2]: Entering directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_42272.dir/build.make
CMakeFiles/cmTC_42272.dir/build
make[3]: Entering directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_42272.dir/CheckForPthreads.c.o
/usr/bin/cc   -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -std=gnu11
-Wno-error=parentheses -Werror -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wno-pointer-sign -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Wno-unused -g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash=.
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2    -o
CMakeFiles/cmTC_42272.dir/CheckForPthreads.c.o   -c
/usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/CheckForPthreads.c
/usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/CheckForPthreads.c:3:7: error: no previous
prototype for ‘start_routine’ [-Werror=missing-prototypes]
 void* start_routine(void* args)
       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_42272.dir/build.make:66:
CMakeFiles/cmTC_42272.dir/CheckForPthreads.c.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:121: cmTC_42272/fast] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

Determining if the function pthread_create exists in the pthreads failed
with the following output:
Change Dir: /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_0cbb0/fast"
make[2]: Entering directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/build.make
CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/build
make[3]: Entering directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o
/usr/bin/cc   -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -std=gnu11
-Wno-error=parentheses -Werror -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wno-pointer-sign -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Wno-unused -g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash=.
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create   -o
CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o   -c
/usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.c
Linking C executable cmTC_0cbb0
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/link.txt
--verbose=1
/usr/bin/cc -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -std=gnu11
-Wno-error=parentheses -Werror -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wno-pointer-sign -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Wno-unused -g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash=.
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create
-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now
CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o  -o cmTC_0cbb0 -lpthreads
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthreads
make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_0cbb0.dir/build.make:87: cmTC_0cbb0] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:121: cmTC_0cbb0/fast] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

dh_auto_configure: cd .build && cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=/etc
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_LOCALSTATEDIR=/var -DCMAKE_EXPORT_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON
-DCMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON "-GUnix Makefiles"
-DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-Wdev -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
"-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash=.
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" -DWITH_PYTHON=ON
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash
-DGTEST_ROOT=TEST_ROOT -DGMOCK_ROOT=MOCK_ROOT .. returned exit code 1
make[1]: *** [debian/rules:38: override_dh_auto_configure] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash'
make: *** [debian/rules:24: build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit
status 2

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Missing Package

John Ralls-2

> [...]
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LOCALSTATEDIR=/var -DCMAKE_EXPORT_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON
> -DCMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON "-GUnix Makefiles"
> -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> -Wdev -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
> "-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-g -O2
> -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash=.
> -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" -DWITH_PYTHON=ON
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash
> -DGTEST_ROOT=TEST_ROOT -DGMOCK_ROOT=MOCK_ROOT .. returned exit code 1
> make[1]: *** [debian/rules:38: override_dh_auto_configure] Error 255
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash'
> make: *** [debian/rules:24: build] Error 2
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit

Steven,

Whatever went wrong isn't in that listing. I don't know much about either schroot or Debian's build scripts except that Dmitriy filed a bunch of "FTBFS" bugs where it took the two of us many hours to figure out what had gone wrong. My conclusion is that the Debian build system breaks often and is difficult to debug.

So do what Dmitriy declines to: Get a shell in your schroot and build GnuCash by hand. Start off with the minimal flags, `cmake -G 'Unix Makefiles" -DWITH_PYTHON=ON -DGTEST_ROOT=xxx -DGMOCK_ROOT=yyyy ..` and make sure that builds OK, then start adding the others, one at a time, until it fails. When it fails, scroll back in the terminal and look at the messages there, don't bother with CMakeOutput or CMakeErrors.

Note that if you're building GnuCash master that GMOCK_ROOT was deleted a couple of weeks ago, that the minimum Googletest version is 1.8.0 and that GTEST_ROOT should point to the outer googletest folder, the one containing the googletest and googelmock folders.

Another note: '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-g -O2"' is spelled '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo' as that gets you debug symbols for both C and C++ instead of only C++ the way you've (and perhaps Dmitriy) have it. There's a heck of a lot more C than C++ in GnuCash. It's also better practice to let Cmake handle the compiler flags.

Re: [GNC-dev] Missing Package

Tommy Trussell
On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 PM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I started from the point of building a minimal
> Disco schroot environment.  Knowing that GnC compiles in my environment
> under the full Disco set of packages but fails with the below snippet
> from the end of the string of messages, I made the presumption that the
> failure was due to a package missing in the minimal environment.
>
> Hopefully, if we can figure this out for Disco under schroot, then we
> can do Bionic in a similar environment.

As far as I know, the only difference between an "ordinary" operational
environment you build in and a chroot should be that the build chroot won't
have anything in it that you haven't carefully specified for the build. If
you watch as it starts up, you'll see it install every package specified in
your control file and all their dependencies. (N.B. To save time on
subsequent build attempts, you can manually insert packages into the
chroot. But of course then it won't be "clean" anymore.)

You might do a side-by-side comparison of the packages that have been
installed, either by examining the log from the early part of the build
process, or by opening a suspended chroot and issuing a package list
command to see what has been installed, and compare it with the same
command in your working build environment. (But your running system will
tend to have lots of extraneous packages installed.)

apt list --installed

There are several utilities, dpkg-depcheck for one example, that will watch
your build and compile a list of every package needed. You might use it to
watch your successful build.

Re: [GNC-dev] Missing Package

Stephen M. Butler
On 9/25/19 8:40 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> Steven,
> Whatever went wrong isn't in that listing. I don't know much about either schroot or Debian's build scripts except that Dmitriy filed a bunch of "FTBFS" bugs where it took the two of us many hours to figure out what had gone wrong. My conclusion is that the Debian build system breaks often and is difficult to debug.
Shucks!  I may have to take a class at the local cc to learn the
rudimentary items.  At least I know that I don't know!
> So do what Dmitriy declines to: Get a shell in your schroot and build GnuCash by hand. Start off with the minimal flags, `cmake -G 'Unix Makefiles" -DWITH_PYTHON=ON -DGTEST_ROOT=xxx -DGMOCK_ROOT=yyyy ..` and make sure that builds OK, then start adding the others, one at a time, until it fails. When it fails, scroll back in the terminal and look at the messages there, don't bother with CMakeOutput or CMakeErrors.
OK.  That is a very reasonable path.  I may have time later this
evening.  Right now I'm facing some "todo" items from the wife.  Somehow
she thinks they have higher priority.  :-)
> Note that if you're building GnuCash master that GMOCK_ROOT was deleted a couple of weeks ago, that the minimum Googletest version is 1.8.0 and that GTEST_ROOT should point to the outer googletest folder, the one containing the googletest and googelmock folders.
On MAINT.  Actually the 3.7 tag.  I presume this change will affect
3.8?  or will it be 4.0?
> Another note: '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-g -O2"' is spelled '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo' as that gets you debug symbols for both C and C++ instead of only C++ the way you've (and perhaps Dmitriy) have it. There's a heck of a lot more C than C++ in GnuCash. It's also better practice to let Cmake handle the compiler flags.
Just grabbed the debian/rules file that Dmitriy had.  This is learning
while in the fire pit!!

Thanks John.  Now I have a path that should lead to a solution.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Missing Package

Stephen M. Butler
On 9/25/19 8:41 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 PM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I started from the point of building a minimal
>     Disco schroot environment.  Knowing that GnC compiles in my
>     environment
>     under the full Disco set of packages but fails with the below snippet
>     from the end of the string of messages, I made the presumption
>     that the
>     failure was due to a package missing in the minimal environment.
>
>     Hopefully, if we can figure this out for Disco under schroot, then we
>     can do Bionic in a similar environment.
>

> As far as I know, the only difference between an "ordinary"
> operational environment you build in and a chroot should be that the
> build chroot won't have anything in it that you haven't carefully
> specified for the build. If you watch as it starts up, you'll see it
> install every package specified in your control file and all their
> dependencies. (N.B. To save time on subsequent build attempts, you can
> manually insert packages into the chroot. But of course then it won't
> be "clean" anymore.)
It took a couple of tries before I figured out I had to log into the
"source" chroot.  But I was able to run the dependency script as-well-as
the mk-build-deps step.  So my Disco chroot isn't "clean" -- but at
least I don't have to wait for them all to download and install each time!

> You might do a side-by-side comparison of the packages that have been
> installed, either by examining the log from the early part of the
> build process, or by opening a suspended chroot and issuing a package
> list command to see what has been installed, and compare it with the
> same command in your working build environment. (But your running
> system will tend to have lots of extraneous packages installed.)
I tried that.  The leading paths are different so diff reports each line
as changed.  And all those "extras" that have been loaded over the years
are just too much noise right now.

Op donderdag 26 september 2019 19:42:32 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> On 9/25/19 8:40 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> > Note that if you're building GnuCash master that GMOCK_ROOT was deleted a
> > couple of weeks ago, that the minimum Googletest version is 1.8.0 and
> > that GTEST_ROOT should point to the outer googletest folder, the one
> > containing the googletest and googelmock folders.
> On MAINT.  Actually the 3.7 tag.  I presume this change will affect
> 3.8?  or will it be 4.0?

That will only affect builds starting from 4.0.