[GNC-dev] Mac Installation

Adrien Monteleone-2
There seems to be a rash of confusion with installing on MacOS suddenly. I’ve been lurking here for a few years and never noticed this before. Has this been a problem in the past?

I think I have a grasp on the general principle of how some other software "holds users’ hands” and guides them to drag the .app over an /Applications soft-link to ‘install’.

I understand the small pool of devs are busy with more pressing matters. If there are no objections, I don’t mind doing the homework digging up details to craft a similar .dmg Finder window for GnuCash. I’d of course use artwork from the website for branding consistency.

I’ll hazard the presumption based on my experience here that John Ralls is the packager for MacOS. Thoughts? Requirements?

I’ll also presume any such packaging changes need to be PR’d somewhere. Is this to maint? master? (sorry, need to brush up on the procedures and branches)

Re: [GNC-dev] Mac Installation

John Ralls

> On Dec 5, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There seems to be a rash of confusion with installing on MacOS suddenly. I’ve been lurking here for a few years and never noticed this before. Has this been a problem in the past?
>
> I think I have a grasp on the general principle of how some other software "holds users’ hands” and guides them to drag the .app over an /Applications soft-link to ‘install’.
>
> I understand the small pool of devs are busy with more pressing matters. If there are no objections, I don’t mind doing the homework digging up details to craft a similar .dmg Finder window for GnuCash. I’d of course use artwork from the website for branding consistency.
>
> I’ll hazard the presumption based on my experience here that John Ralls is the packager for MacOS. Thoughts? Requirements?
>
> I’ll also presume any such packaging changes need to be PR’d somewhere. Is this to maint? master? (sorry, need to brush up on the procedures and branches)

Adrien,

Yes, I do the mac bundles along with everything else associated with releases. Any images and scripts would go in https://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx. The Gnu Emacs folks have it set up so you can probably borrow from them.

Re: [GNC-dev] Mac Installation

Adrien Monteleone-2
John,

Thanks, I’ll take a look.