[GNC-dev] Launchpad

12

[GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
Dev Team,

So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the debian
package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer by
avocation) says that there are several more that would take advantage if
it were more "supported".

Here are my thoughts:

 1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
    ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files the
    application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in the
    debian folder that points to the original so that changes in the
    original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work via git?
 2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I presume
    on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more technical
    folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I know
    the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a back
    seat to that.
 3. Building this folder might even be beneficial to the official
    packagers for the various distros.
 4. One team for whom I did light testing, published a daily build (no
    longer daily as the software matured) for the adventurous.

https://launchpad.net/~subsurface/+archive/ubuntu/subsurface-daily

I would be willing to push the files up to Launchpad if the team sees
value in perusing this.  However, I don't want to step on anybodies toes
if this would get in the way of the official release process for the
various distros.  And, if this got to the point of highly automated,
perhaps the dev team would prefer to do the push themselves.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Colin Law
I don't think the guys/gals that maintain the official Debian and
Ubuntu packages are on this list, though I may be wrong.

Colin

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 17:44, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dev Team,
>
> So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the debian
> package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer by
> avocation) says that there are several more that would take advantage if
> it were more "supported".
>
> Here are my thoughts:
>
>  1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
>     ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files the
>     application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in the
>     debian folder that points to the original so that changes in the
>     original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work via git?
>  2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I presume
>     on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more technical
>     folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I know
>     the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a back
>     seat to that.
>  3. Building this folder might even be beneficial to the official
>     packagers for the various distros.
>  4. One team for whom I did light testing, published a daily build (no
>     longer daily as the software matured) for the adventurous.
>

> https://launchpad.net/~subsurface/+archive/ubuntu/subsurface-daily
>
> I would be willing to push the files up to Launchpad if the team sees
> value in perusing this.  However, I don't want to step on anybodies toes
> if this would get in the way of the official release process for the
> various distros.  And, if this got to the point of highly automated,
> perhaps the dev team would prefer to do the push themselves.
>
> --Steve
>
> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
On 12/31/18 9:47 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> I don't think the guys/gals that maintain the official Debian and
> Ubuntu packages are on this list, though I may be wrong.
>
> Colin

Perhaps the question then becomes:  Is the team willing to support an
unofficial PPA for the latest version of GnC?

If so, I'll do more research.  If not, I'll stop.

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 17:44, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dev Team,
>>
>> So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the debian
>> package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer by
>> avocation) says that there are several more that would take advantage if
>> it were more "supported".
>>
>> Here are my thoughts:
>>
>>  1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
>>     ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files the
>>     application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in the
>>     debian folder that points to the original so that changes in the
>>     original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work via git?
>>  2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I presume
>>     on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more technical
>>     folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I know
>>     the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a back
>>     seat to that.
>>  3. Building this folder might even be beneficial to the official
>>     packagers for the various distros.
>>  4. One team for whom I did light testing, published a daily build (no
>>     longer daily as the software matured) for the adventurous.
>>

>> https://launchpad.net/~subsurface/+archive/ubuntu/subsurface-daily
>>
>> I would be willing to push the files up to Launchpad if the team sees
>> value in perusing this.  However, I don't want to step on anybodies toes
>> if this would get in the way of the official release process for the
>> various distros.  And, if this got to the point of highly automated,
>> perhaps the dev team would prefer to do the push themselves.
>>
>> --Steve
>>
>> --
>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>> 253-350-0166

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Adrien Monteleone-2
Stephen,

I could be mistaken, but doesn’t Launchpad have automated build facilities to target different releases? That might ease providing packages for the LTS versions and the current regular version even if you aren’t running them yourself. That won’t help derivative distros but as people discover which one works best, that info can be passed on for those users.

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/31/18 9:47 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> I don't think the guys/gals that maintain the official Debian and
>> Ubuntu packages are on this list, though I may be wrong.
>>
>> Colin
>

> Perhaps the question then becomes:  Is the team willing to support an
> unofficial PPA for the latest version of GnC?
>
> If so, I'll do more research.  If not, I'll stop.
>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 17:44, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dev Team,
>>>
>>> So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the debian
>>> package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer by
>>> avocation) says that there are several more that would take advantage if
>>> it were more "supported".
>>>
>>> Here are my thoughts:
>>>
>>> 1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
>>>    ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files the
>>>    application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in the
>>>    debian folder that points to the original so that changes in the
>>>    original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work via git?
>>> 2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I presume
>>>    on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more technical
>>>    folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I know
>>>    the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a back
>>>    seat to that.
>>> 3. Building this folder might even be beneficial to the official
>>>    packagers for the various distros.
>>> 4. One team for whom I did light testing, published a daily build (no
>>>    longer daily as the software matured) for the adventurous.
>>>

>>> https://launchpad.net/~subsurface/+archive/ubuntu/subsurface-daily
>>>
>>> I would be willing to push the files up to Launchpad if the team sees
>>> value in perusing this.  However, I don't want to step on anybodies toes
>>> if this would get in the way of the official release process for the
>>> various distros.  And, if this got to the point of highly automated,
>>> perhaps the dev team would prefer to do the push themselves.
>>>
>>> --Steve
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 253-350-0166

> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
On 12/31/18 11:52 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> I could be mistaken, but doesn’t Launchpad have automated build facilities to target different releases? That might ease providing packages for the LTS versions and the current regular version even if you aren’t running them yourself. That won’t help derivative distros but as people discover which one works best, that info can be passed on for those users.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

If I am reading their documentation correctly, you can pick several
environments to which they will build deb files.

I believe these architectures were supported:

    X86, AMD64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el

In addition, you could pick several release environments including:

Ubuntu:  Cosmic, Bionic, Xenial, Trusty

Debian: Stretch, Jessie, Wheezy, SID

It sounded like all that had to happen is to push a tarball up with the
./Debian folder already populated and their system would build to all
those environments automatically.

--Steve

PS  I'm not sure what arm64, armhf, and ppc64el would do for GnC!

>> On Dec 31, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/31/18 9:47 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>> I don't think the guys/gals that maintain the official Debian and
>>> Ubuntu packages are on this list, though I may be wrong.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>

>> Perhaps the question then becomes:  Is the team willing to support an
>> unofficial PPA for the latest version of GnC?
>>
>> If so, I'll do more research.  If not, I'll stop.

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Adrien Monteleone-2
Single board computers such as the various Pi boards will benefit from armhf if not arm64, not sure any machines out there in userland would need the ppc64el port. (a little-endian build for Power based chips)

arm64 is the ‘default’ but most of the Pi boards, including the RaspberryPi3 use armhf, which stands for ‘hard float’. Raspian was a hack to work around the lack of floating point support of the early RaspberryPi boards, but now it can run straight debian using the armhf port.

I can’t seem to find anything definitive concerning differences between arm64 and armhf and what machines might use arm64 in the wild.

Also, some newer Chromebooks are shipping with ARM chips instead of Intel.

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/31/18 11:52 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> I could be mistaken, but doesn’t Launchpad have automated build facilities to target different releases? That might ease providing packages for the LTS versions and the current regular version even if you aren’t running them yourself. That won’t help derivative distros but as people discover which one works best, that info can be passed on for those users.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>

> If I am reading their documentation correctly, you can pick several
> environments to which they will build deb files.
>
> I believe these architectures were supported:
>
>     X86, AMD64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el
>

> In addition, you could pick several release environments including:
>
> Ubuntu:  Cosmic, Bionic, Xenial, Trusty
>
> Debian: Stretch, Jessie, Wheezy, SID
>

> It sounded like all that had to happen is to push a tarball up with the
> ./Debian folder already populated and their system would build to all
> those environments automatically.
>
> --Steve
>
> PS  I'm not sure what arm64, armhf, and ppc64el would do for GnC!

>>> Perhaps the question then becomes:  Is the team willing to support an
>>> unofficial PPA for the latest version of GnC?
>>>
>>> If so, I'll do more research.  If not, I'll stop.

> <pEpkey.asc>_______________________________________________

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Steve,

It's nice to see you're willing to work on getting gnucash on launchpad.

From my point of view this is completely disconnected from what the gnucash
project itself does, so feel free to go about this as you like.

On the other hand I'm not really sure I understand the bit about the debian
directory. From the GnuCash project's point of view this is not something to
add in the gnucash git repository as it's distribution/packaging specific. You
could set up a separate repository for this if you like. The GnuCash project
currently maintains 3 like that as well: one each for packaging GnuCash on
Windows, MacOS or Flatpak.

Lastly at this point I don't think we want to add yet another release target
as part of the primary release process. But you're most welcome to take this
on you and I appreciate your offer!

Op maandag 31 december 2018 18:41:35 CET schreef Stephen M. Butler:

> Dev Team,
>
> So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the debian
> package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer by
> avocation) says that there are several more that would take advantage if
> it were more "supported".
>
> Here are my thoughts:
>
>  1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
>     ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files the
>     application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in the
>     debian folder that points to the original so that changes in the
>     original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work via git?
>  2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I presume
>     on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more technical
>     folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I know
>     the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a back
>     seat to that.
>  3. Building this folder might even be beneficial to the official
>     packagers for the various distros.
>  4. One team for whom I did light testing, published a daily build (no
>     longer daily as the software matured) for the adventurous.
>

> https://launchpad.net/~subsurface/+archive/ubuntu/subsurface-daily
>
> I would be willing to push the files up to Launchpad if the team sees
> value in perusing this.  However, I don't want to step on anybodies toes
> if this would get in the way of the official release process for the
> various distros.  And, if this got to the point of highly automated,
> perhaps the dev team would prefer to do the push themselves.
>
> --Steve

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
On 1/1/19 12:57 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Steve,
>
> It's nice to see you're willing to work on getting gnucash on launchpad.
>
> >From my point of view this is completely disconnected from what the gnucash
> project itself does, so feel free to go about this as you like.
>
> On the other hand I'm not really sure I understand the bit about the debian
> directory. From the GnuCash project's point of view this is not something to
> add in the gnucash git repository as it's distribution/packaging specific. You
> could set up a separate repository for this if you like. The GnuCash project
> currently maintains 3 like that as well: one each for packaging GnuCash on
> Windows, MacOS or Flatpak.
>
> Lastly at this point I don't think we want to add yet another release target
> as part of the primary release process. But you're most welcome to take this
> on you and I appreciate your offer!
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Thanks Geert.  As I said, I didn't want to step where I wasn't supposed
to be!  I'll check out the other repositories and see what I can do.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Andrew Ruthven
Hey,

Replying out of sequence as I deleted the original messages (oops).

On Tue, 2019-01-01 at 12:17 -0800, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> On 1/1/19 12:57 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op maandag 31 december 2018 18:41:35 CET schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> > > Dev Team,
> > >
> > > So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the
> > > debian
> > > package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer
> > > by
> > > avocation) says that there are several more that would take
> > > advantage if
> > > it were more "supported".

Perhaps worth getting in touch with Dmitry Smirnov, the Debian
Developer who looks after gnucash in Debian?

Looking at:
  https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/gnucash
Ubuntu is just taking the package from Debian.

It does seem reasonable to have a PPA to make newer versions of Gnucash
available in Ubuntu, and uploading it to the relevant -backports repos
for Debian.

> > > Here are my thoughts:
> > >
> > >  1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
> > >     ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files
> > > the
> > >     application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in
> > > the
> > >     debian folder that points to the original so that changes in
> > > the
> > >     original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work
> > > via git?

I've checked the source from Debian and I'm not seeing any files in the
debian directory which have been copied from the main source tree. Are
there any examples you can provide?

> > >  2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I
> > > presume
> > >     on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more
> > > technical
> > >     folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I
> > > know
> > >     the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a
> > > back
> > >     seat to that.

This directory already exists:
  https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gnucash/tree/master/debian
why re-invent it?

I've been happily using Gnucash from Debian for ... many years.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
[hidden email]              | linux.conf.au 2019, Christchurch, NZ

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
These references the required files:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dreq.en.html

  * changelog -- may need to reformat for the debian folder (will need
    some research
  * copyright -- probably copy over as is
  * control -- probably a one time creation
  * rules -- needs research

And the optional files:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html

These need research:

  * README.Debian
  * compat
  * conffiles
  * package.cron.*
  * dirs
  * package.doc-base
  * docs
  * emacsen
  * package.examples
  * package.init
  * package.default
  * install
  * package.info
  * package.links
  * {package..source/}lintian-overrides
  * manpage.*
  * NEWS
  * TODO
  * watch
  * etc

|| <https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html#initd>
Obviously I'm 100 ft deep and the tank of air just ran dry.  Excuse me
while I buddy breathe and we'll eventually make it to the surface.

--Steve

What did I get myself into?

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
I have cleaned up this thread quite a bit.

The summary is, it looks like Dmitry Smirnovis is doing the work!  Just
hard to find.
And, he's not behind (well, maybe a day or two).

On 1/1/19 3:25 PM, Andrew Ruthven wrote:

> Perhaps worth getting in touch with Dmitry Smirnov, the Debian
> Developer who looks after gnucash in Debian?
>
> Looking at:
>   https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/gnucash
> Ubuntu is just taking the package from Debian.
>
> It does seem reasonable to have a PPA to make newer versions of Gnucash
> available in Ubuntu, and uploading it to the relevant -backports repos
> for Debian.

> I've been happily using Gnucash from Debian for ... many years.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

So I went there and discovered that

  Package: gnucash (1:3.4-1) [*universe*]

was already waiting to be downloaded.  Scroll down toward the bottom of
the page and find:

    Download gnucash

Architecture Package Size Installed Size Files
amd64 <https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/amd64/gnucash/download>
3,288.9 kB 21,952.0 kB [list of files
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/amd64/gnucash/filelist>]
arm64 <https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/arm64/gnucash/download>
3,091.5 kB 21,764.0 kB [list of files
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/arm64/gnucash/filelist>]
armhf <https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/armhf/gnucash/download>
2,996.7 kB 18,365.0 kB [list of files
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/armhf/gnucash/filelist>]
i386 <https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/i386/gnucash/download>
3,462.5 kB 21,876.0 kB [list of files
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/i386/gnucash/filelist>]
ppc64el <https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/ppc64el/gnucash/download>
3,365.1 kB 24,893.0 kB [list of files
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/ppc64el/gnucash/filelist>]
s390x <https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/s390x/gnucash/download>
3,055.1 kB 22,220.0 kB [list of files
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/s390x/gnucash/filelist>]

I clicked on the amd64 link and it took me to:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/amd64/gnucash/download

    Download Page for gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb on AMD64 machines

I went to this mirror and am downloading the deb file now.
mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu
<http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb>

Perhaps I've researched myself out of a job!!!  We just have to know
where to look.

Colin, do you have a machine on which this can be tested?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 21:28, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu
> <http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb>
>
> Colin, do you have a machine on which this can be tested?

Yes, on Ubuntu 18.10.  Note that I think this is intended for disco
(19.04) so whether there will be problems with 18.10 or 18.04 remains
to be seen.  I can't try it till tomorrow though (it is late evening
here in UK).

Colin

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
Thanks.  I checked the trusty and others and they had older versions.
So, maybe not so good news.

But, if I can get his debian folder....

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Colin Law
Managed to give
http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb
a quick try on 18.10 and it fails to install with lots of missing
packages, and apt install -f just says it is going to remove the
partially install gnucash again, which I think means the packages are
not available on 18.10.  I assume it will be the same or worse on
18.04.

Colin

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 21:46, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.  I checked the trusty and others and they had older versions.
> So, maybe not so good news.
>
> But, if I can get his debian folder....
>
> On 1/3/19 1:34 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 21:28, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu
> >> <http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb>
> >>
> >> Colin, do you have a machine on which this can be tested?
> > Yes, on Ubuntu 18.10.  Note that I think this is intended for disco
> > (19.04) so whether there will be problems with 18.10 or 18.04 remains
> > to be seen.  I can't try it till tomorrow though (it is late evening
> > here in UK).
> >
> > Colin
> >

> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
Shucks!  I had High Hopes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buq40brGDTY

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

pEpkey.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

I have a Cosmic VM handy so I tested the Disco .deb via “dpkg -i” and here was the result:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnucash:
 gnucash depends on gnucash-common (= 1:3.4-1); however:
  Package gnucash-common is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libboost-regex1.67.0 (>= 1.67.0-10); however:
  Package libboost-regex1.67.0 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libicu63 (>= 63.1-1~); however:
  Package libicu63 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libpython3.7 (>= 3.7.0); however:
  Package libpython3.7 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libfinance-quote-perl; however:
  Package libfinance-quote-perl is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libhtml-tableextract-perl; however:
  Package libhtml-tableextract-perl is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package gnucash (--install):

I did an ‘apt search’ on the missing dependencies with the following results:

gnucash-common, libicu63 (“International Components for Unicode”) and the required version of libboost-regex1.67.0 are not in Cosmic, you’ll need to download them from Disco.

gnucash-common: https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/gnucash-common

libicu63: https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/libicu63

libboost-regex1.67.0: https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/libboost-regex1.67.0

Download those files, but do not install them yet.

First, install these:

sudo apt libfinance-quote-perl libhtml-tableextract-perl libpython3.7 libpython3.7-minimal libpython3.7-stdlib

(those last two are dependencies of libpython3.7 and are in Cosmic)

*adjust the following package names for your architecture:

Then install libboost-regex1.67.0:

sudo dpkg -i libboost-regex1.67.0_1.67.0-11_amd64.deb

Then install libicu63:

sudo dpkg -i libicu63_63.1-5_amd64.deb

Then instal gnucash-common:

sudo dpkg -i gnucash-common_3.4-1_all.deb

Then finally, install gnucash:

sudo dpkg -i gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb

------

Note that I went in reverse as I was trying to find and then install the dependencies, so at some point, I got the advice from apt to try ‘apt --fix-broken install’ which pulled in libfinance-quote-perl libhtml-tableextract-perl libpython3.7 libpython3.7-minimal libpython3.7-stdlib as the rest was already installed but not completely configured.

Now, GC still doesn’t run and I’m getting an error:

gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I recall someone encountered that in the *.deb thread, so I’ll go look there to see if there was a resolution. This file doesn’t appear to be in any ubuntu repos.

> On Jan 3, 2019, at 3:46 PM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks.  I checked the trusty and others and they had older versions.
> So, maybe not so good news.
>
> But, if I can get his debian folder....
>
> On 1/3/19 1:34 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 21:28, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu
>>> <http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.4-1_amd64.deb>
>>>
>>> Colin, do you have a machine on which this can be tested?
>> Yes, on Ubuntu 18.10.  Note that I think this is intended for disco
>> (19.04) so whether there will be problems with 18.10 or 18.04 remains
>> to be seen.  I can't try it till tomorrow though (it is late evening
>> here in UK).
>>
>> Colin
>>

> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Adrien Monteleone-2
I found this:

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2019-January/081695.html

noting that the following needed to be installed:

libboost-filesystem1.65.1
libboost-date-time1.65.1
libboost-locale1.65.1
libboost-regex1.65.1

But my error was for 1.58, not 1.65 missing

I installed them anyway, with no effect on the error. (as expected)

After some investigation, it seems 1.58 was in Xenial. (this was the original OS installed in this VM and it has undergone two in-place upgrades to Bionic and now Cosmic) It seems the upgrade didn’t play nice and now my software is still looking for old versions of libraries. (or the Xenial version of GnuCash didn’t uninstall properly)

I downloaded the libboost-date-time1.58 deb but that gave me another dependency, which I downloaded and upon trying to install that, was hit with about 6 more dependencies.

I’m giving up.

Perhaps a fresh Cosmic install will play much nicer.

At this point, it would be much simpler just to build from source.

Sorry I couldn’t give you a definitive “It works!”

> [...]
>
> Now, GC still doesn’t run and I’m getting an error:
>
> gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I recall someone encountered that in the *.deb thread, so I’ll go look there to see if there was a resolution. This file doesn’t appear to be in any ubuntu repos.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

>> On Jan 3, 2019, at 3:46 PM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks.  I checked the trusty and others and they had older versions.
>> So, maybe not so good news.
>>
>> But, if I can get his debian folder....

>>> Yes, on Ubuntu 18.10.  Note that I think this is intended for disco
>>> (19.04) so whether there will be problems with 18.10 or 18.04 remains
>>> to be seen.  I can't try it till tomorrow though (it is late evening

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

David Cousens
Adrien,

Have you loaded and compiled with the libboost-dat-time-dev headers
installed. I have libboost-date-time-dev,  libboost-date-time1.65-dev and
libboost-date-time1.65.1 loaded on Linux Mint 19 (Ubuntu Bionic 18.04) and
it builds and compiles without any problem.. dpkg -l | grep
libboost-date-time will list the installed libraries

 I think I used sudo apt install libboost-all-dev to install the headers
although apt-cache lists libboost-dev as the default header files and it
also only lists libboost-date-time1.65-dev and libboost-date-time1.65.1. I
think libboost-date-time-dev is a hangover or a dependency for another
program I build

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Launchpad

Stephen M. Butler
Adrien and Colin,

Thanks for banging on this.  I have an email out to Dmitry asking if he
has a Launchpad account or if he'll let me use his /debian folder (which
I have already downloaded and started inspecting) to push up to
Launchpad to try to build a ppa for the various versions.

--Steve

On 1/3/19 2:42 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Now, GC still doesn’t run and I’m getting an error:
>>
>> gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> I recall someone encountered that in the *.deb thread, so I’ll go look there to see if there was a resolution. This file doesn’t appear to be in any ubuntu repos.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>

>>> On Jan 3, 2019, at 3:46 PM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.  I checked the trusty and others and they had older versions.

I haven’t. I did try to download the 1.58-dev files from the Xenial repo, but that’s when I hit a wall of additional dependencies and decided further effort wasn’t worth the trouble.

I don’t need it for my own use. I was just testing it because I had time.

I daily use GnuCash on High Sierra.

I suspect though that I’d still get the error as it was looking for a 1.58 version it couldn’t find despite that I had 1.65 installed. (and then upgraded to 1.67, still to no effect)

When I tried to start unraveling everything back to a prior state (I should have just taken a snapshot of the VM) I learned that libboost is also used by LibreOffice so most systems will probably have it, just not the version spec’d for the Disco .deb.

Note, I also have not tried Stephen’s .deb file. I was only testing the one from the Disco repos he linked today. I’m not sure if that would have made a difference.