[GNC-dev] I'd like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation

[GNC-dev] I'd like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation

Rob Laan
Hi,

I’d like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation. Is there someone coordinating the documentation effort?

My intention is to start with an update of chapter 18 Importing Business Data, of the Concepts en Tutorial Guide.

Some background on myself: I started using GnuCash just a few months ago, for some very simple accounting, so I’m definitely not an experienced GnuCash user. But I understand accounting quite well, and I have 15+ years of experience in implementation and maintenance of the financial and logistic modules of a large ERP system (SAP), doing business analysis, system configuration and documentation, development specification, testing and debugging, and user training. I.e. I know finance processes in IT systems. I am not a trained or experienced developer, but I can read an debug code.

I am using GnuCash 3.3. on OS X High Sierra. I have cloned the git repositories for the program and the documentation. I have compiled the program using Xcode as IDE, and I have compiled the documentation to html. I think I have read most of the stuff on ‘contributing to documentation’ on gnucash.org <http://gnucash.org/> and the wiki, and I did some self training on git and DocBook (which are new to me).

Regards,

Rob Laan

Re: [GNC-dev] I'd like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation

c.holtermann
Hello,

as someone who is regularly using gnucash and now and then contributing
a bit I can just say: welcome and go ahead ! Thank you for your interest
in the project and collaboration !

regards,

Christoph Holtermann

Am 2018-12-17 10:46, schrieb Rob Laan:

> Hi,
>
> I’d like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the
> documentation. Is there someone coordinating the documentation effort?
>
> My intention is to start with an update of chapter 18 Importing
> Business Data, of the Concepts en Tutorial Guide.
>
> Some background on myself: I started using GnuCash just a few months
> ago, for some very simple accounting, so I’m definitely not an
> experienced GnuCash user. But I understand accounting quite well, and
> I have 15+ years of experience in implementation and maintenance of
> the financial and logistic modules of a large ERP system (SAP), doing
> business analysis, system configuration and documentation, development
> specification, testing and debugging, and user training. I.e. I know
> finance processes in IT systems. I am not a trained or experienced
> developer, but I can read an debug code.
>
> I am using GnuCash 3.3. on OS X High Sierra. I have cloned the git
> repositories for the program and the documentation. I have compiled
> the program using Xcode as IDE, and I have compiled the documentation
> to html. I think I have read most of the stuff on ‘contributing to
> documentation’ on gnucash.org <http://gnucash.org/> and the wiki, and
> I did some self training on git and DocBook (which are new to me).
>

> Regards,
>
> Rob Laan

Re: [GNC-dev] I'd like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation - now also development

Rob Laan

In addition to the message below, after investigating and testing the import business data functionality, reading the code, and registering a number of bugs, I decided to try and fix the bugs myself.
So I assigned the bugs to myself, and have started fixing them locally. I have also started updating the doxygen information in the code. And I have created new user documentation for import bills & invoices.
I am now in the process of investigating the import customers & vendors functionality, and updating documentation for the same.

It is my intention to submit patches for code and user documentation once I have completed the work on both import bills & invoices and import customers and vendors.

On my development skills, I’ve had formal development training, using Pascal and Modula 2, and used C to create an application on my Macintosh+, but that was about 30 years ago. My job was first in accounting, and later in IT (SAP).
I did development in ABAP (the SAP programming language), but that was about 20 years ago. Since then, I have often done some programming for work or fun (in Visual Basic, PHP), but never in depth.
All in all, I think I have the skills to tackle bugs in the functional domain, and the common sense to stay away from stuff I don’t understand.

Regards,

Rob Laan

> On 17 Dec 2018, at 10:46, Rob Laan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’d like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation. Is there someone coordinating the documentation effort?
>
> My intention is to start with an update of chapter 18 Importing Business Data, of the Concepts en Tutorial Guide.
>
> Some background on myself: I started using GnuCash just a few months ago, for some very simple accounting, so I’m definitely not an experienced GnuCash user. But I understand accounting quite well, and I have 15+ years of experience in implementation and maintenance of the financial and logistic modules of a large ERP system (SAP), doing business analysis, system configuration and documentation, development specification, testing and debugging, and user training. I.e. I know finance processes in IT systems. I am not a trained or experienced developer, but I can read an debug code.
>
> I am using GnuCash 3.3. on OS X High Sierra. I have cloned the git repositories for the program and the documentation. I have compiled the program using Xcode as IDE, and I have compiled the documentation to html. I think I have read most of the stuff on ‘contributing to documentation’ on gnucash.org <http://gnucash.org/> and the wiki, and I did some self training on git and DocBook (which are new to me).
>

> Regards,
>
> Rob Laan

Re: [GNC-dev] I'd like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation - now also development

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 7 januari 2019 18:28:20 CET schreef [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> In addition to the message below, after investigating and testing the import
> business data functionality, reading the code, and registering a number of
> bugs, I decided to try and fix the bugs myself. So I assigned the bugs to
> myself, and have started fixing them locally. I have also started updating
> the doxygen information in the code. And I have created new user
> documentation for import bills & invoices. I am now in the process of
> investigating the import customers & vendors functionality, and updating
> documentation for the same.
>
> It is my intention to submit patches for code and user documentation once I
> have completed the work on both import bills & invoices and import
> customers and vendors.
>
> On my development skills, I’ve had formal development training, using Pascal
> and Modula 2, and used C to create an application on my Macintosh+, but
> that was about 30 years ago.

Interesting. My first coding experiments were in Pascal as well and at around
the same time *and* on my father's Mac SE :)

> My job was first in accounting, and later in
> IT (SAP). I did development in ABAP (the SAP programming language), but
> that was about 20 years ago. Since then, I have often done some programming
> for work or fun (in Visual Basic, PHP), but never in depth.

Have been superficially in Visual Basic (by necessity) and php as well.

> All in all, I
> think I have the skills to tackle bugs in the functional domain, and the
> common sense to stay away from stuff I don’t understand.

Sure. I'm interested to see your patches.

However I would like you to submit your work for review *before* you believe
it's completely finished. That way you can have feedback earlier on whether
the direction you're going in fits the project and potentially save you time.

I read you have already fixed a few bugs. By all means create a PR for those
fixes. You can always add more later.

Enjoy!