[GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
In between other projects over a few months I have been trying to learn
enough about Debian packaging to bring the latest GnuCash releases to
Ubuntu Bionic. My goal is to learn to create a source package that compiles
properly in a "stock" Ubuntu Bionic environment, and write about the
procedure in sufficient detail that I and other volunteers can keep the
information updated for new GnuCash releases.

Bionic is significant for its "Long Term Support" status. Besides all the
folks (such as I) who have systems running Bionic, several "child" distros
(such as Mint) use the Bionic repository. I believe some number of folks
will clamor for Bionic GnuCash packages until at least next summer (2020),
after which the next scheduled Ubuntu LTS release will begin to replace
Bionic.

I followed Stephen Butler's work on the GnuCash lists and hoped his
packaging procedure could produce clean Bionic builds. However it seems
Stephen quit building for Bionic quite a few weeks ago.

Recently Dmitry Smirnov packaged GnuCash 3.6 and 3.7 for Debian 10
"Buster," so I have very up-to-date Debian packages to start with.
Unfortunately "Buster" diverges significantly from "Bionic" so packaging
becomes tricky.

At this point I believe I have learned a tiny bit and hope someone can
offer advice to me on how to proceed.

------

This message describes two of my build environments. Ultimately I hope the
first one succeeds, but since it's giving me less information to work with,
I'll describe both.

1) The sbuild utility creates "clean" chroot build environments. The
GnuCash 3.7 package builds perfectly in a Debian (sid / bullseye) chroot
just as it should, but Ubuntu Bionic hardly even starts to build.

> $ sbuild -Avs -d bionic-amd64
>
> dpkg-source: info: using options from gnucash-3.7/debian/source/options:
--extend-diff-ignore=(^|/)(src/scm/build-config.scm)$
> dh clean --buildsystem=cmake --with python3,aqbanking
--builddirectory=.build
> dh: unable to load addon python3: Can't locate Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/
python3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
Debian::Debhelper::Sequence::python3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28
/usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at (eval 12)
line 1.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 12) line 1.
>
> make: *** [debian/rules:33: clean] Error 2
> E: Failed to clean source directory
/home/twt/src/gnucash/bullseye37/gnucash-3.7
(/home/twt/src/gnucash/bullseye37/gnucash_3.7-1~01.dsc)
> $

That's it. Yes, despite the error, debhelper's dh-python package (which
includes the python3 addon) is installed. No incantation seems to nudge it
further along. I've become convinced the problem is due to an unfortunate
bug affecting the libraries in Bionic. (See my link at the end.) I presume
there might be a workaround to make the python headers "visible" when they
need to be; I just need to learn how to communicate that to debhelper (or
patch the source code somehow?) to work around the unfortunate bug.
Alternatively it may be possible to get a SRU (Stable Release Update)
pushed into Bionic to fix the broken library.

------

2) Since I wasn't making any progress even after tinkering in the chroots,
I set up a virtualbox with a minimal Ubuntu installation hoping to learn
more. Sadly, the build fails quite differently in the VM.

In a minimal Ubuntu Bionic Virtualbox VM the build starts well and seems to
be making progress for a few seconds, then fails with:

> Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file
"CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
> Compiler: /usr/bin/c++
> Build flags:
-g;-O2;-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=.;-fstack-protector-strong;-Wformat;-Werror=format-security;-Wno-error=stringop-truncation;-Wdate-time;-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> Id flags:
>
> The output was:
> 1
> cc1plus: error: -Werror=stringop-truncation: no option
-Wstringop-truncation

(the error gets repeated several times)

This gives me more to work with. A few searches turned up some hints but I
don't know how to implement them.

------

Today I created a post at an Ubuntu forums area designated for packaging
advice (though sadly the forum doesn't look extremely active), and included
a bit more information there.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539

I shared a suspicion in the first post about why the python addon seems to
be "missing" in the clean chroot build environment. But I have no clue why
it fails later in a VirtualBox VM.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
On 9/23/19 10:24 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> In between other projects over a few months I have been trying to learn
> enough about Debian packaging to bring the latest GnuCash releases to
> Ubuntu Bionic. My goal is to learn to create a source package that compiles
> properly in a "stock" Ubuntu Bionic environment, and write about the
> procedure in sufficient detail that I and other volunteers can keep the
> information updated for new GnuCash releases.
>
> Bionic is significant for its "Long Term Support" status. Besides all the
> folks (such as I) who have systems running Bionic, several "child" distros
> (such as Mint) use the Bionic repository. I believe some number of folks
> will clamor for Bionic GnuCash packages until at least next summer (2020),
> after which the next scheduled Ubuntu LTS release will begin to replace
> Bionic.
>
> I followed Stephen Butler's work on the GnuCash lists and hoped his
> packaging procedure could produce clean Bionic builds. However it seems
> Stephen quit building for Bionic quite a few weeks ago.

Yup.  When I upgraded to Disco.  It's not for lack of trying but my
feeble efforts have been fruitless so far.

I tried the Docker approach but ran out of disk space!  I do have
schroot on my plate but that hasn't born fruit yet.

What do you need from me to help you build on Bionic?  I'm able to build
on Disco.  Have you been able to figure out the PPA on Launchpad?

>
> Recently Dmitry Smirnov packaged GnuCash 3.6 and 3.7 for Debian 10
> "Buster," so I have very up-to-date Debian packages to start with.
> Unfortunately "Buster" diverges significantly from "Bionic" so packaging
> becomes tricky.
>
> At this point I believe I have learned a tiny bit and hope someone can
> offer advice to me on how to proceed.
>
> ------
>
> This message describes two of my build environments. Ultimately I hope the
> first one succeeds, but since it's giving me less information to work with,
> I'll describe both.
>
> 1) The sbuild utility creates "clean" chroot build environments. The
> GnuCash 3.7 package builds perfectly in a Debian (sid / bullseye) chroot
> just as it should, but Ubuntu Bionic hardly even starts to build.
>
>> $ sbuild -Avs -d bionic-amd64
>>
>> dpkg-source: info: using options from gnucash-3.7/debian/source/options:
> --extend-diff-ignore=(^|/)(src/scm/build-config.scm)$
>> dh clean --buildsystem=cmake --with python3,aqbanking
> --builddirectory=.build
>> dh: unable to load addon python3: Can't locate Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/
> python3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
> Debian::Debhelper::Sequence::python3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at (eval 12)
> line 1.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 12) line 1.
>>
>> make: *** [debian/rules:33: clean] Error 2
>> E: Failed to clean source directory
> /home/twt/src/gnucash/bullseye37/gnucash-3.7
> (/home/twt/src/gnucash/bullseye37/gnucash_3.7-1~01.dsc)
>> $
> That's it. Yes, despite the error, debhelper's dh-python package (which
> includes the python3 addon) is installed. No incantation seems to nudge it
> further along. I've become convinced the problem is due to an unfortunate
> bug affecting the libraries in Bionic. (See my link at the end.) I presume
> there might be a workaround to make the python headers "visible" when they
> need to be; I just need to learn how to communicate that to debhelper (or
> patch the source code somehow?) to work around the unfortunate bug.
> Alternatively it may be possible to get a SRU (Stable Release Update)
> pushed into Bionic to fix the broken library.
>
> ------
>
> 2) Since I wasn't making any progress even after tinkering in the chroots,
> I set up a virtualbox with a minimal Ubuntu installation hoping to learn
> more. Sadly, the build fails quite differently in the VM.
>
> In a minimal Ubuntu Bionic Virtualbox VM the build starts well and seems to
> be making progress for a few seconds, then fails with:
>
>> Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file
> "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
>> Compiler: /usr/bin/c++
>> Build flags:
> -g;-O2;-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=.;-fstack-protector-strong;-Wformat;-Werror=format-security;-Wno-error=stringop-truncation;-Wdate-time;-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
>> Id flags:
>>
>> The output was:
>> 1
>> cc1plus: error: -Werror=stringop-truncation: no option
> -Wstringop-truncation
>
> (the error gets repeated several times)
>
> This gives me more to work with. A few searches turned up some hints but I
> don't know how to implement them.
>
> ------
>
> Today I created a post at an Ubuntu forums area designated for packaging
> advice (though sadly the forum doesn't look extremely active), and included
> a bit more information there.
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539
>
> I shared a suspicion in the first post about why the python addon seems to
> be "missing" in the clean chroot build environment. But I have no clue why
> it fails later in a VirtualBox VM.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/23/19 10:24 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> > I followed Stephen Butler's work on the GnuCash lists and hoped his
> > packaging procedure could produce clean Bionic builds. However it seems
> > Stephen quit building for Bionic quite a few weeks ago.
>
> Yup.  When I upgraded to Disco.  It's not for lack of trying but my
> feeble efforts have been fruitless so far.
>
> I tried the Docker approach but ran out of disk space!  I do have
> schroot on my plate but that hasn't born fruit yet.
>

I, too, tinkered with Docker but I didn't feel like it was getting me where
I wanted to go. I'm sure it can be useful but I don't think it's (yet?) the
primary environment for developing Debian / Ubuntu packages. So I have
uninstalled it for now.

You'll see two primary utilities for creating clean Debian / Ubuntu build
environments: pbuilder and sbuild. (You'll also see mentions of cowbuilder
-- that's a pbuilder wrapper that invokes cowdancer -- a "copy on write"
environment to optimize build performance.) You'll see more web pages about
pbuilder because it has been around longer, but sbuild seems to be what's
now being used in (most? many?) build servers.

I find that once sbuild is set up (including a local package repository) it
seems quite user friendly -- for example I don't have to remember to update
the packages in the chroot -- the system automatically does so whenever I
run a process in them. It's also dead simple to create and remove build
chroot environments, by release name (such as "disco" "buster," etc.). But
it's been awhile now since I played with pbuilder and maybe they've added
that feature too. Both seem to be actively developed.

By the way, a chroot in linux is a special virtualized process that's
isolated from the rest of the system. (If you've ever tinkered with a
Ubuntu installation as it's happening from a liveCD, that process happens
in a chroot environment.) The schroot utilities are handy for poking around
and running processes inside chroot filesystems as if an "ordinary" user.
Again these seem to be pretty refined and I think the same utilities
probably work the same for pbuilder or sbuild chroots, though I haven't
verified that.

What do you need from me to help you build on Bionic?  I'm able to build
> on Disco.  Have you been able to figure out the PPA on Launchpad?
>

I haven't gotten as far as playing with PPAs; I presume once a package
builds in sbuild it will build in a PPA. I strongly suspect an obscure bug
in the Bionic libraries is the major block, so the steps will be to A) find
a fix or workaround and B) tell the package how to implement the fix or
workaround.

Unfortunately the Debian packaging process is a bit arcane, especially once
you get something as complex as GnuCash. I feel as though I have learned
only maybe 10% of what I need to know after lots of study.

It sounds like you might want to start by ordering a bigger hard drive, or
reorder things you have to free up space. Apparently the 500GB SSD on my
laptop still has some room left, but I've been pretty brutal about deleting
VMs and chroots when I'm through with them. I also tend to copy things to
my old slow machine for long-term storage.

If you have a multi-core processor and haven't played with VirtualBox, I
recommend it as a great way to keep several complete operating systems
sitting around for occasional or test use. Right now it looks like I have
copies of Ubuntu 19.10, 19.04 (the same as the host OS) a "bare" 18.04, a
regular 18.04, Debian 10, Fedora 30, FreeDOS (for a failed experiment in
upgrading a BIOS) Android x86 (time to delete that one) and a free Windows
VM (that self destructs after 30 days, which is fine by me; I just roll
back to the original install whenever I use it).

I tinkered with the flatpak and snap containers but they have some
significant limitations.

For example in my office I use an old two-core system with only 3GB RAM
available. I have upgraded it to a cheap SSD for the OS and I use a 1TB
rotational drive for data storage (/home). I stay with Ubuntu LTS OS
releases on it partly because it takes me at least a full day to fix things
like the document scanner after an upgrade. A flatpak of GnuCash ran out of
RAM so I couldn't run anything else. Also I keep my office data in a
"shared" user account so I might need to modify it for a flatpak or snap
because the sandboxing prevents access to the data.

SO that's why I am invested in creating a "proper" Ubuntu package for
GnuCash 3.x
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
On 9/24/19 1:07 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/23/19 10:24 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>     > I followed Stephen Butler's work on the GnuCash lists and hoped his
>     > packaging procedure could produce clean Bionic builds. However
>     it seems
>     > Stephen quit building for Bionic quite a few weeks ago.
>
>     Yup.  When I upgraded to Disco.  It's not for lack of trying but my
>
>
> You'll see two primary utilities for creating clean Debian / Ubuntu
> build environments: pbuilder and sbuild. (You'll also see mentions of
> cowbuilder -- that's a pbuilder wrapper that invokes cowdancer --

The launchpad folks indicate that sbuild is similar to what they use to
create their debian packages for the PPA environments.

> I find that once sbuild is set up (including a local package
> repository) it seems quite user friendly -- for example I don't have
> to remember to update the packages in the chroot -- the system
> automatically does so whenever I run a process in them. It's also dead
> simple to create and remove build chroot environments, by release name
> (such as "disco" "buster," etc.). But it's been awhile now since I
> played with pbuilder and maybe they've added that feature too. Both
> seem to be actively developed.
>
I have manged to install and create schroot environments for disco and
bionic.  However, I am having troubles with sbuild (doesn't do what I
think it should) and attempts to fall back to my dpkg-buildpackage
standby doesn't work either.  Right now it complains about the locale
not being setup correctly.  Still scratching my head over that one.  One
web site said to install the equates in /etc/environment.  But that
didn't work inside the schroot environment.

I get a lot of these when running "fakeroot debian/rules clean".

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = "en_US.UTF-8",
    LC_ALL = "en_US.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.

Works fine when I'm not in an schroot environment.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
Stephen -- I got a reply on the Repositories and Backports forum:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539

SO this person said we should be using the Backports repository. That
changes all the rules! I added a follow-up question.

In case you don't know, Backports is a special standard repository for each
version of Ubuntu containing newer packages for that release. It's fairly
easy to get packages into Backports. (See below.**) It turns out nowadays
(for quite a few years now; I missed the memo) backports is activated by
default in Ubuntu. But apparently NOT in the sbuild chroot!

I probably won't be able to try again this weekend. It should be fairly
straightforward to activate the backports repository in sbuild, but if you
or I start tinkering with a PPA I don't know what to do. I suppose they
have it activated there.

Here's what I would suggest. Create a new file for sources.list in the
chroot having two lines
$ sbuild-shell bionic-amd64
$ su
password:
# cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
# cat > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bionic-backports.list

[paste the following two lines into the file, and then type ctrl-Z]

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse

Then you can update apt in the chroot to see that the backports repository
is available.

**The backport process: Someone wants a newer package, and builds it (on
sbuild or pbuilder or a PPA) to confirm it builds in x version of Ubuntu,
then that person requests that it go into the Backports repository for
Ubuntu x. A backport volunteer confirms that it builds, and copies into the
repository for Ubuntu x. The new version then becomes available to everyone
who has the Backports repository activated (everyone).

If, for example, the latest GnuCash package builds without errors with
backported packages for Bionic, then theoretically it can easily go into
the Backports repository for Bionic. No PPA needed! (Not that I expect this
to happen for Bionic, but it might work for Disco, for example.)
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
there was a typo in my little procedure. I tried it the first way and it
didn't work, but this way works:

Create a new file for sources.list in the chroot having two lines
$ sbuild-shell bionic-amd64
$ su
password:
# cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
# cat > bionic-backports.list
   [paste the following two lines into the file, and then type ctrl-Z]
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse



On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 11:46 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Stephen -- I got a reply on the Repositories and Backports forum:
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539
>
> SO this person said we should be using the Backports repository. That
> changes all the rules! I added a follow-up question.
>
> In case you don't know, Backports is a special standard repository for
> each version of Ubuntu containing newer packages for that release. It's
> fairly easy to get packages into Backports. (See below.**) It turns out
> nowadays (for quite a few years now; I missed the memo) backports is
> activated by default in Ubuntu. But apparently NOT in the sbuild chroot!
>
> I probably won't be able to try again this weekend. It should be fairly
> straightforward to activate the backports repository in sbuild, but if you
> or I start tinkering with a PPA I don't know what to do. I suppose they
> have it activated there.
>
> Here's what I would suggest. Create a new file for sources.list in the
> chroot having two lines
> $ sbuild-shell bionic-amd64
> $ su
> password:
> # cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> # cat > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bionic-backports.list
>
> [paste the following two lines into the file, and then type ctrl-Z]
>
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted
> universe multiverse
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
>
> Then you can update apt in the chroot to see that the backports repository
> is available.
>
> **The backport process: Someone wants a newer package, and builds it (on
> sbuild or pbuilder or a PPA) to confirm it builds in x version of Ubuntu,
> then that person requests that it go into the Backports repository for
> Ubuntu x. A backport volunteer confirms that it builds, and copies into the
> repository for Ubuntu x. The new version then becomes available to everyone
> who has the Backports repository activated (everyone).
>
> If, for example, the latest GnuCash package builds without errors with
> backported packages for Bionic, then theoretically it can easily go into
> the Backports repository for Bionic. No PPA needed! (Not that I expect this
> to happen for Bionic, but it might work for Disco, for example.)
>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
In reply to this post by Tommy Trussell
On 9/28/19 9:46 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> Stephen -- I got a reply on the Repositories and Backports forum:
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539
>
> SO this person said we should be using the Backports repository. That
> changes all the rules! I added a follow-up question.
>
> In case you don't know, Backports is a special standard repository for
> each version of Ubuntu containing newer packages for that release.
> It's fairly easy to get packages into Backports. (See below.**) It
> turns out nowadays (for quite a few years now; I missed the memo)
> backports is activated by default in Ubuntu. But apparently NOT in the
> sbuild chroot!
New to me also. 

> I probably won't be able to try again this weekend. It should be
> fairly straightforward to activate the backports repository in sbuild,
> but if you or I start tinkering with a PPA I don't know what to do. I
> suppose they have it activated there.
>
> Here's what I would suggest. Create a new file for sources.list in the
> chroot having two lines
> $ sbuild-shell bionic-amd64
> $ su 
> password:
> # cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> # cat > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bionic-backports.list
>
> [paste the following two lines into the file, and then type ctrl-Z]
>
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted
> universe multiverse
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
>
> Then you can update apt in the chroot to see that the backports
> repository is available.
Now to figure out how to start over and remove the existing xxx-amd64
environments.

>
> **The backport process: Someone wants a newer package, and builds it
> (on sbuild or pbuilder or a PPA) to confirm it builds in x version of
> Ubuntu, then that person requests that it go into the Backports
> repository for Ubuntu x. A backport volunteer confirms that it builds,
> and copies into the repository for Ubuntu x. The new version then
> becomes available to everyone who has the Backports repository
> activated (everyone). 
>
> If, for example, the latest GnuCash package builds without errors with
> backported packages for Bionic, then theoretically it can easily go
> into the Backports repository for Bionic. No PPA needed! (Not that I
> expect this to happen for Bionic, but it might work for Disco, for
> example.)
>
Interesting.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/28/19 9:46 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> > Stephen -- I got a reply on the Repositories and Backports forum:
> > https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539
> >
> ...
> > Then you can update apt in the chroot to see that the backports
> > repository is available.
> Now to figure out how to start over and remove the existing xxx-amd64
> environments.
>

I haven't done it yet, but it sounds fairly straightforward to blow away
the chroot

https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild#Delete_a_chroot

Just go to wherever they are installed, delete them, and you can create new
ones. Be sure you don't have suspended processes hanging around. I kept
having that happen until I changed the sbuild preferences so they weren't
persistent.

I have been trying to follow up on my theory that the sbuild fails because
of the buggy cmake version in Bionic. I found the PPA where this guy was
trying to get them to do an SRU (Stable Release Update) to upgrade / patch
the version of cmake.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cmake/+bug/1831869

but no matter what I try I can't get the sbuild chroot to load his version

I'm using this command that SHOULD point to his PPA

$ sbuild -Avs -d bionic-amd64  --extra-repository="deb [trusted=yes] deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/costamagnagianfranco/costamagnagianfranco-ppa/ubuntu
bionic main"

But it doesn't seem to be loading his package no matter what I put into
debian/control.

SO I grabbed his package and tried to build it...

created a source directory; cd to it

$ dget
https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/costamagnagianfranco-ppa/+sourcefiles/cmake/3.10.2-1ubuntu2.18.04.2/cmake_3.10.2-1ubuntu2.18.04.2.dsc

tried to sbuild...
Strangely enough that build is failing in exactly the same way. Ugh.

SO I am stymied for now. I bet it's something simple I'm not seeing because
I'm tired.

Time to rest; have an appointment tomorrow.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
I woke up with one realization this morning -- sbuild was not picking up
the changed packages from backports etc. because it's probably set to
prefer anything that's already loaded into it (remember "normally" it grabs
fresh packages EVERY TIME you build, but I got impatient weeks ago and
pre-loaded all the dependencies).

Since I couldn't even build a known "clean" cmake package from a PPA I have
to assume I had basically ruined the chroot build environment somehow. SO I
deleted the old chroot and created the new chroot, and sure enough it's
building the cmake package just fine.

Here's how I deleted the chroot:
---------------------------------------
$ sudo sbuild-destroychroot bionic-amd64
[The above command does NOT delete the chroot -- it locates it and tells
you how. Useful!]

$ lsof /var/lib/schroot/chroots/bionic-amd64
$ sudo rm --recursive --one-file-system
/var/lib/schroot/chroots/bionic-amd64
$ sudo rm /etc/schroot/chroot.d/sbuild-bionic-amd64


Here's the process I used to create a bionic chroot with backports enabled:
-----------------------------------------------
$ mk-sbuild bionic

... [lots of stuff going into the chroot]
Done building bionic-amd64.

 To CHANGE the golden image: sudo schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root
 To ENTER an image snapshot: schroot -c bionic-amd64
 To BUILD within a snapshot: sbuild -A -d bionic-amd64 PACKAGE*.dsc
 To BUILD for : sbuild -A -d bionic-amd64 --host  PACKAGE*.dsc

$
$ schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root

# cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
# cat > bionic-backports.list
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
^D

# apt update
# apt upgrade
# exit
$

------------------------------------------

The cmake source package is still building. It creates lots of binaries. I
typed this up while I was waiting...

Next thing to try: the GnuCash 3.7 package for Ubuntu Eoan with the GCC 9
build flag commented out...
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
On 9/30/19 12:39 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> I woke up with one realization this morning -- sbuild was not picking
> up the changed packages from backports etc. because it's probably set
> to prefer anything that's already loaded into it (remember "normally"
> it grabs fresh packages EVERY TIME you build, but I got impatient
> weeks ago and pre-loaded all the dependencies).
>
> Since I couldn't even build a known "clean" cmake package from a PPA I
> have to assume I had basically ruined the chroot build environment
> somehow. SO I deleted the old chroot and created the new chroot, and
> sure enough it's building the cmake package just fine. 
>
> Here's how I deleted the chroot:
> ---------------------------------------
> $ sudo sbuild-destroychroot bionic-amd64
> [The above command does NOT delete the chroot -- it locates it and
> tells you how. Useful!]
>
> $ lsof /var/lib/schroot/chroots/bionic-amd64
> $ sudo rm --recursive --one-file-system
> /var/lib/schroot/chroots/bionic-amd64
> $ sudo rm /etc/schroot/chroot.d/sbuild-bionic-amd64
>
>
> Here's the process I used to create a bionic chroot with backports
> enabled:
> -----------------------------------------------
> $ mk-sbuild bionic
>
> ... [lots of stuff going into the chroot]
> Done building bionic-amd64.
>
>  To CHANGE the golden image: sudo schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root
>  To ENTER an image snapshot: schroot -c bionic-amd64
>  To BUILD within a snapshot: sbuild -A -d bionic-amd64 PACKAGE*.dsc
>  To BUILD for : sbuild -A -d bionic-amd64 --host  PACKAGE*.dsc
>
> $
> $ schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root
>
> # cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> # cat > bionic-backports.list
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted
> universe multiverse
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
> ^D
>
> # apt update
> # apt upgrade
> # exit
> $
>
> ------------------------------------------
>
> The cmake source package is still building. It creates lots of
> binaries. I typed this up while I was waiting...
>
> Next thing to try: the GnuCash 3.7 package for Ubuntu Eoan with the
> GCC 9 build flag commented out...

Sorry for the delayed response.  Other irons were getting too hot in the
fire and my focus has been elsewhere.  I did make it this far (and
reloading locales-all and vim to the environment).  I'm trying to follow
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/BuildEnvironment on how to setup
and utilize sbuild. 

Learning sbuild is going to be another learning effort.  But, that
appears to be the direction I must go.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:15 PM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the delayed response.  Other irons were getting too hot in the
> fire and my focus has been elsewhere.  I did make it this far (and
> reloading locales-all and vim to the environment).  I'm trying to follow
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/BuildEnvironment on how to setup
> and utilize sbuild.
>
> Learning sbuild is going to be another learning effort.  But, that
> appears to be the direction I must go.
>
> --Steve
>
>
I hope I haven't led you astray... but I think the idea is if you can get
it to build in a "clean" sbuild environment it should build in a PPA or an
"official" build server. The same SHOULD be true for pbuilder but I had
some glitches (many months ago) and found sbuild more reliable.

Unfortunately I, too, have been distracted by other issues. A few days ago
I hammered at the build environment for a few hours and was still stuck at
the same place in the GnuCash build despite my success building the
modified cmake source package. It quits immediately upon not finding the
Python headers where it expects them. I have another theory to work through
about why it's failing but I have to get some other urgent work done.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
Here's a tested working procedure for building and installing GnuCash under
Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 LTS. I presume it should also work with Mint or any
other distro based on Bionic.

REQUIREMENTS
An Ubuntu Bionic installation *with bionic-backports activated. (I used a
minimal Xubuntu installation in a VirtualBox VM for this test.)

1) Create a source directory

  $ mkdir bionic37
  $ cd bionic37

2) Get the latest Ubuntu package

  $ dget
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/gnucash/1:3.7-1ubuntu1/gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc

2b) Move into the directory created by the source package

  $ cd gnucash-3.7

3) Comment out a build flag line in debian/rules so it will build in Bionic

  $ sed -i 's/export DEB_CXXFLAGS/#export DEB_CXXFLAGS/' debian/rules

4) Make this your custom version (so any "official" release should
supersede it).

  $ dch --nmu

4b) Edit the version at the top so it reads something like
  gnucash (1:3.7-1ubuntu18.04~1)

4c) Add a comment under your name and email in the first comment saying
something like
  "Commented out DEB_CXXFLAGS instruction in debian/rules"

4d) Save and exit the editor.

5) Upgrade debhelper

  $ sudo apt install debhelper/bionic-backports

6) Build the package

  $ dpkg-buildpackage

7) You will see the package files in the bionic37 directory, ready to
install.

  $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb *.ddeb

  $ sudo apt install -f

The dpkg -i command above attempts to install gnucash .deb files (and the
optional .ddeb debugging files). In a fresh installation, "dpkg -i" will
fail because of missing dependencies, so the "apt install -f" command will
install the missing dependencies and finish installing gnucash.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
I requested a backport of GnuCash 3.7 from Ubuntu eoan 19.10 to bionic 18.04

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bionic-backports/+bug/1847547

UNFORTUNATELY I still don't understand why I cannot get the eoan package to
build in an sbuild bionic chroot with bionic-backports. I also cannot get
the eoan gnucash-docs package to build, either inside or outside a chroot.
A task for another day...
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
In reply to this post by Tommy Trussell
Thanks Tommy for this info.  I've been slammed the last couple of
weeks.  Hopefully will be able to look at this next week.  --Steve

On 10/9/19 9:32 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> Here's a tested working procedure for building and installing GnuCash
> under Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 LTS. I presume it should also work with Mint
> or any other distro based on Bionic. 
>
> REQUIREMENTS
> An Ubuntu Bionic installation *with bionic-backports activated. (I
> used a minimal Xubuntu installation in a VirtualBox VM for this test.)
>
> 1) Create a source directory
>
>   $ mkdir bionic37
>   $ cd bionic37
>
> 2) Get the latest Ubuntu package
>
>   $ dget
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/gnucash/1:3.7-1ubuntu1/gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
>
> 2b) Move into the directory created by the source package
>
>   $ cd gnucash-3.7
>
> 3) Comment out a build flag line in debian/rules so it will build in
> Bionic
>
>   $ sed -i 's/export DEB_CXXFLAGS/#export DEB_CXXFLAGS/' debian/rules
>
> 4) Make this your custom version (so any "official" release should
> supersede it).
>
>   $ dch --nmu
>
> 4b) Edit the version at the top so it reads something like 
>   gnucash (1:3.7-1ubuntu18.04~1)
>
> 4c) Add a comment under your name and email in the first comment
> saying something like 
>   "Commented out DEB_CXXFLAGS instruction in debian/rules"
>
> 4d) Save and exit the editor.
>
> 5) Upgrade debhelper
>
>   $ sudo apt install debhelper/bionic-backports
>
> 6) Build the package
>
>   $ dpkg-buildpackage
>
> 7) You will see the package files in the bionic37 directory, ready to
> install.
>
>   $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb *.ddeb
>
>   $ sudo apt install -f
>
> The dpkg -i command above attempts to install gnucash .deb files (and
> the optional .ddeb debugging files). In a fresh installation, "dpkg
> -i" will fail because of missing dependencies, so the "apt install -f"
> command will install the missing dependencies and finish installing
> gnucash.
>

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
My NEXT step (to "sweeten" the backport request) is to upload the patched
file to a PPA but (in my usual very slow style) I am still puzzling out how
to sign the packages. I have a published key I created years ago but
apparently I'm missing some (literal) key concepts. :-P

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 10:51 AM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tommy for this info.  I've been slammed the last couple of
> weeks.  Hopefully will be able to look at this next week.  --Steve
>
> On 10/9/19 9:32 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> > Here's a tested working procedure for building and installing GnuCash
> > under Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 LTS. I presume it should also work with Mint
> > or any other distro based on Bionic.
> >
> > REQUIREMENTS
> > An Ubuntu Bionic installation *with bionic-backports activated. (I
> > used a minimal Xubuntu installation in a VirtualBox VM for this test.)
> >
> > 1) Create a source directory
> >
> >   $ mkdir bionic37
> >   $ cd bionic37
> >
> > 2) Get the latest Ubuntu package
> >
> >   $ dget
> >
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/gnucash/1:3.7-1ubuntu1/gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
> >
> > 2b) Move into the directory created by the source package
> >
> >   $ cd gnucash-3.7
> >
> > 3) Comment out a build flag line in debian/rules so it will build in
> > Bionic
> >
> >   $ sed -i 's/export DEB_CXXFLAGS/#export DEB_CXXFLAGS/' debian/rules
> >
> > 4) Make this your custom version (so any "official" release should
> > supersede it).
> >
> >   $ dch --nmu
> >
> > 4b) Edit the version at the top so it reads something like
> >   gnucash (1:3.7-1ubuntu18.04~1)
> >
> > 4c) Add a comment under your name and email in the first comment
> > saying something like
> >   "Commented out DEB_CXXFLAGS instruction in debian/rules"
> >
> > 4d) Save and exit the editor.
> >
> > 5) Upgrade debhelper
> >
> >   $ sudo apt install debhelper/bionic-backports
> >
> > 6) Build the package
> >
> >   $ dpkg-buildpackage
> >
> > 7) You will see the package files in the bionic37 directory, ready to
> > install.
> >
> >   $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb *.ddeb
> >
> >   $ sudo apt install -f
> >
> > The dpkg -i command above attempts to install gnucash .deb files (and
> > the optional .ddeb debugging files). In a fresh installation, "dpkg
> > -i" will fail because of missing dependencies, so the "apt install -f"
> > command will install the missing dependencies and finish installing
> > gnucash.
> >
>
> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> 253-350-0166
> -------------------------------------------
> GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8
>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
On 10/17/19 2:44 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> My NEXT step (to "sweeten" the backport request) is to upload the
> patched file to a PPA but (in my usual very slow style) I am still
> puzzling out how to sign the packages. I have a published key I
> created years ago but apparently I'm missing some (literal) key
> concepts. :-P
Is your PPA on Launchpad?  If so, did you upload your public key to your
account on that site?

>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 10:51 AM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Tommy for this info.  I've been slammed the last couple of
>     weeks.  Hopefully will be able to look at this next week.  --Steve
>
>     On 10/9/19 9:32 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>     > Here's a tested working procedure for building and installing
>     GnuCash
>     > under Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 LTS. I presume it should also work
>     with Mint
>     > or any other distro based on Bionic. 
>     >
>     > REQUIREMENTS
>     > An Ubuntu Bionic installation *with bionic-backports activated. (I
>     > used a minimal Xubuntu installation in a VirtualBox VM for this
>     test.)
>     >
>     > 1) Create a source directory
>     >
>     >   $ mkdir bionic37
>     >   $ cd bionic37
>     >
>     > 2) Get the latest Ubuntu package
>     >
>     >   $ dget
>     >
>     https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/gnucash/1:3.7-1ubuntu1/gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
>     >
>     > 2b) Move into the directory created by the source package
>     >
>     >   $ cd gnucash-3.7
>     >
>     > 3) Comment out a build flag line in debian/rules so it will build in
>     > Bionic
>     >
>     >   $ sed -i 's/export DEB_CXXFLAGS/#export DEB_CXXFLAGS/'
>     debian/rules
>     >
>     > 4) Make this your custom version (so any "official" release should
>     > supersede it).
>     >
>     >   $ dch --nmu
>     >
>     > 4b) Edit the version at the top so it reads something like 
>     >   gnucash (1:3.7-1ubuntu18.04~1)
>     >
>     > 4c) Add a comment under your name and email in the first comment
>     > saying something like 
>     >   "Commented out DEB_CXXFLAGS instruction in debian/rules"
>     >
>     > 4d) Save and exit the editor.
>     >
>     > 5) Upgrade debhelper
>     >
>     >   $ sudo apt install debhelper/bionic-backports
>     >
>     > 6) Build the package
>     >
>     >   $ dpkg-buildpackage
>     >
>     > 7) You will see the package files in the bionic37 directory,
>     ready to
>     > install.
>     >
>     >   $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb *.ddeb
>     >
>     >   $ sudo apt install -f
>     >
>     > The dpkg -i command above attempts to install gnucash .deb files
>     (and
>     > the optional .ddeb debugging files). In a fresh installation, "dpkg
>     > -i" will fail because of missing dependencies, so the "apt
>     install -f"
>     > command will install the missing dependencies and finish installing
>     > gnucash.
>     >
>
>     --
>     Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     253-350-0166
>     -------------------------------------------
>     GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8
>

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/17/19 2:44 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> > My NEXT step (to "sweeten" the backport request) is to upload the
> > patched file to a PPA but (in my usual very slow style) I am still
> > puzzling out how to sign the packages. I have a published key I
> > created years ago but apparently I'm missing some (literal) key
> > concepts. :-P
> Is your PPA on Launchpad?  If so, did you upload your public key to your
> account on that site?
>

Yes I uploaded the key back in 2016, but I'm having trouble getting my head
around how to use the old key to sign a package.

I may end up creating a new key because I can't figure out how to get the
old key into the right place.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler
On 10/18/19 9:17 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

>
>
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/17/19 2:44 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>     > My NEXT step (to "sweeten" the backport request) is to upload the
>     > patched file to a PPA but (in my usual very slow style) I am still
>     > puzzling out how to sign the packages. I have a published key I
>     > created years ago but apparently I'm missing some (literal) key
>     > concepts. :-P
>     Is your PPA on Launchpad?  If so, did you upload your public key
>     to your
>     account on that site?
>
>  
> Yes I uploaded the key back in 2016, but I'm having trouble getting my
> head around how to use the old key to sign a package.
>
> I may end up creating a new key because I can't figure out how to get
> the old key into the right place.
>
Oh.  I haven't done that yet.  Did vote for the backport so it now has
two votes.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
I finally jumped through the hoops and uploaded my backported package of
GnuCash 3.7 to my own launchpad PPA.

Several other folks have done it, but I wanted to follow the backport rules
and hopefully demonstrate I had made only minimal changes to the upload.
(Though I am beginning to think it probably won't get picked up by a
backport volunteer, regardless.)

Anyway, if anyone still wants a pre-built version for Bionic or Mint or any
other Ubuntu Bionic-derived distro, here it is, ready to install. I can
certify that it's essentially the same package as provided for Ubuntu 19.10
"Eoan Ermine," built for Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic Beaver."

https://launchpad.net/~tommy-trussell/+archive/ubuntu/gnc/
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell
On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:54 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I finally jumped through the hoops and uploaded my backported package of
> GnuCash 3.7 to my own launchpad PPA.
>
...

> ... if anyone still wants a pre-built version for Bionic or Mint or any
> other Ubuntu Bionic-derived distro, here it is, ready to install. I can
> certify that it's essentially the same package as provided for Ubuntu 19.10
> "Eoan Ermine," built for Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic Beaver."
>
> https://launchpad.net/~tommy-trussell/+archive/ubuntu/gnc/
>
>
Tonight I uploaded the eoan version of GnuCash 3.7 as a package for Ubuntu
19.04 "Disco," unmodified, and it built fine. I still cannot explain why
Stephen and I both had trouble building for Disco the other day; today it
worked fine in my VM as well as on the PPA build server.

https://launchpad.net/~tommy-trussell/+archive/ubuntu/gnc/
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
12