[GNC-dev] Help manual improvements

David Carlson-4
I just created my first link from a transaction entry to an external file
and I discovered that there is a symbol "w" shown in the A box to the right
of the Notes field, at least in the two line view.  However, this is not
mentioned in the help manual under the F1 key.  In fact, all I could find
was the mention under the Account Register Transactions Menu section
Associate File With Transaction and Associate Location with Transaction
descriptions do not tell how to discover which transactions have files or
locations associated with them.

Also, is it possible to search for transactions with associated files or
locations or to edit the link if it is incorrect?

Please consider elaborating on this subject when upgrading the
documentation.

Also, how do you get to the Tutorial and Concepts Guide from the F1 Key?

I was using release 2.6.17 in Ubuntu 16.04 to perform this association.

David Carlson

Re: [GNC-dev] Help manual improvements

David Carlson-4
addendum:

I have also found that I made an association using release 2.6.19 in
Windows 7 but it cannot be opened with release 2.6.17 in Ubuntu 16.04
because it is an absolute address including the Windows assigned Drive
letter to the remote server.  I assume that the Ubuntu file address also
includes the mount point address as well, so it would not be accessible
from Windows.  Is it possible to use relative addressing if the GnuCash
data file and the associated file[s] are on the same server?

David Carlson

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 4:58 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I just created my first link from a transaction entry to an external file
> and I discovered that there is a symbol "w" shown in the A box to the right
> of the Notes field, at least in the two line view.  However, this is not
> mentioned in the help manual under the F1 key.  In fact, all I could find
> was the mention under the Account Register Transactions Menu section
> Associate File With Transaction and Associate Location with Transaction
> descriptions do not tell how to discover which transactions have files or
> locations associated with them.
>
> Also, is it possible to search for transactions with associated files or
> locations or to edit the link if it is incorrect?
>
> Please consider elaborating on this subject when upgrading the
> documentation.
>
> Also, how do you get to the Tutorial and Concepts Guide from the F1 Key?
>
> I was using release 2.6.17 in Ubuntu 16.04 to perform this association.
>
> David Carlson

Re: [GNC-dev] Help manual improvements

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David,
The file association feature is a recent (ish) addition, which explains the lack of documentation about it.
There is an enhancement request pending since mid 2018 (bug 796660) noting this omission. Unfortunately, no one has taken up the cause.
I asked a similar question at the beginning of 2018 (lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2018-january/074200.html), and the reply from Geert summarizes the status as of that point. He notes specifically that the ability to remove an association was added for the 3.0 release.  There have also been changes to the path settings, but I don't have those in my brain right now.
David T.

wrote:

> I just created my first link from a transaction entry to an external file
> and I discovered that there is a symbol "w" shown in the A box to the right
> of the Notes field, at least in the two line view.  However, this is not
> mentioned in the help manual under the F1 key.  In fact, all I could find
> was the mention under the Account Register Transactions Menu section
> Associate File With Transaction and Associate Location with Transaction
> descriptions do not tell how to discover which transactions have files or
> locations associated with them.
>
> Also, is it possible to search for transactions with associated files or
> locations or to edit the link if it is incorrect?
>
> Please consider elaborating on this subject when upgrading the
> documentation.
>
> Also, how do you get to the Tutorial and Concepts Guide from the F1 Key?
>
> I was using release 2.6.17 in Ubuntu 16.04 to perform this association.
>
> David Carlson

[GNC-dev] Guide Hotkey

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi David,

Am 30.01.19 um 23:58 schrieb David Carlson:
> Also, how do you get to the Tutorial and Concepts Guide from the F1 Key?

The help menu says "ctrl+h" and under Linux the Guide window pops up.

Regards
Frank

Re: [GNC-dev] Guide Hotkey

David Carlson-4
On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 3:12 PM Frank H. Ellenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Am 30.01.19 um 23:58 schrieb David Carlson:
> > Also, how do you get to the Tutorial and Concepts Guide from the F1 Key?
>
> The help menu says "ctrl+h" and under Linux the Guide window pops up.
>
> Regards
> Frank

Thank you .