[GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] ImpEx Sample files

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Am 18.09.18 um 15:00 schrieb David Cousens:
> One problem I will have is getting sample files for the MT940, MT942 and DTAUS formats so I can run through the
> interfaces. I have a friend who was a manager with Deutsche Bank a few years ago but Klaus is now working for another
> company in Melbourne.
>
> If you know where I can find any sample files I would appreciate getting hold of them.  It would be good to have a
> collection of  sample files for testing Gnucash in any case as part of the program. No problem for the internal ones
> that Gnucash can export.

In theory we keep a set of sample files in
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/doc/examples and might add
the missing there, if we get them, too.

MTxxx formats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWIFT_message_types
are defined by SWIFT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Worldwide_Interbank_Financial_Telecommunication

There is Transition in progess from ISO 7775 over ISO 15022 to ISO 20022
The genaral standard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15022
has in 2 flavours:
traditional line oriented MT-formats (message types)
and modern UNIFI (ISO 20022) xml files aka MX-format
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_20022
Often the german wiki page has more details like field descritions. But
I didn't see nice example files.

DTA
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datentr%C3%A4geraustauschverfahren
Was introduced by the german bank association ZKA
- today: https://die-dk.de/en/ -
in 1976 for magnetic tapes, later floppies, ...
2016-02-01 it was officially abandoned and replaced by
B2B:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Banking_Internet_Communication_Standard,
else: the above-mentioned ISO20022 (XML-Format).

While the wikipedia page describes the structure IMHO there is no need
to document a abandoned format.

So, if you think we should add example files we should ask on
gnucash-user and gnucash-de.

> Best wishes
> David (Cousens)

~Frank

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] ImpEx Sample files

GnuCash - Dev mailing list


> On Sep 18, 2018, at 11:46 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> DTA
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datentr%C3%A4geraustauschverfahren
> Was introduced by the german bank association ZKA
> - today: https://die-dk.de/en/ -
> in 1976 for magnetic tapes, later floppies, ...
> 2016-02-01 it was officially abandoned and replaced by
> B2B:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Banking_Internet_Communication_Standard,
> else: the above-mentioned ISO20022 (XML-Format).
>
> While the wikipedia page describes the structure IMHO there is no need
> to document a abandoned format.
>

If the format is abandoned, does GnuCash have to import it?


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] ImpEx Sample files

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Am 18.09.18 um 18:47 schrieb David T.:

>
>
>> On Sep 18, 2018, at 11:46 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> DTA
>> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datentr%C3%A4geraustauschverfahren
>> Was introduced by the german bank association ZKA
>> - today: https://die-dk.de/en/ -
>> in 1976 for magnetic tapes, later floppies, ...
>> 2016-02-01 it was officially abandoned and replaced by
>> B2B:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Banking_Internet_Communication_Standard,
>> else: the above-mentioned ISO20022 (XML-Format).
>>
>> While the wikipedia page describes the structure IMHO there is no need
>> to document a abandoned format.
>>
>
> If the format is abandoned, does GnuCash have to import it?
>

Good question! I will ask on gnucash-de, if there are still users.
If we get no feedback, we can consider to remove it.

Frank


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by Geert Janssens-4
David,

Considering David T's expressed concern regarding git, setting up
collaboration in one repo is probably the least complicated. That would allow
you to help out with the more subtle git operations, and allow David T. to
worry less about that part.

Geert

Op dinsdag 18 september 2018 15:28:14 CEST schreef David Cousens:

> Thanks Geert,
>
> I have so far been able to clone David Ts PR into a local copy  on my
> computer. That is not convenient though as it isnt configured as a server
> and has an ISP allocated IP address which changes each time I login.
>
> I have been looking at the ways github can be used for collaboration.
>
> > > One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc
> > > update
> > > in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.
> >
> > I prefer not to and I don't really see the need. There are other ways to
> > collaborate.
>
> I didn't really think this was a good idea.
>
> > There is not really anything special about the Gnucash/gnucash-docs repo.
> > What you can do there, you can equally do with your personal forks.
> >
> > And for that you even don't need to fork David T's repo. You can still
> > pull
> > requests against it from your current Gnucash/gnucash-docs fork.
> >
> >  You would do
> >
> > so like any other pull request. The difference is that instead of going
> > with the defaults proposed by github, you change the target repo to David
> > T's repo (sunfish62).
> >
> > You can publish your changes to your own fork and David T. can look at
> > them
> > there. Or you create PR's and then David T. can review them as part of his
> > builds.
>
> OK will investigate doing this. I'm OK with git for simple things between a
> local repo and a github repo. I'll just have to explore pulling DavidT's
> changes from his repo and doing PR's to it.
> > Yet another method could be that one of you adds the other as collaborator
> > to your personal fork. In that case both of you can work directly on the
> > same repo.
> >
> > Regardless of the chosen route, be aware this will require more than basic
> > understanding of how git works. You'll now be on the pulling end of a pull
> > request, which means git's merge mechanics need to be understood.
>
> Always something new to learn. I have been exploring git in more detail
> lately so time to dig deeper.
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert




_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] ImpEx Sample files

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Frank,

I too had a look around and couldn't find any sample/test files but I had found the SWIFT and DTAUS. I am surprised the
maintainers of the standards don't generate them to allow testing for compliance. If absolutely necessary I will
generate my own. I'm reluctant to produce my own as there is no guarantee that they will conform but anything is better
than nothin. I guess there is a lot of work in defining a sample file which tests all possible nuances of a given
formatand particularly so when there is continuing development

Thanks for the information on the set of sample files.I'll check them out and add any I do manage to find.

On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 17:46 +0200, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> Am 18.09.18 um 15:00 schrieb David Cousens:
> > One problem I will have is getting sample files for the MT940, MT942 and DTAUS formats so I can run through the
> > interfaces. I have a friend who was a manager with Deutsche Bank a few years ago but Klaus is now working for
> > another
> > company in Melbourne.
> >
> > If you know where I can find any sample files I would appreciate getting hold of them.  It would be good to have a
> > collection of  sample files for testing Gnucash in any case as part of the program. No problem for the internal ones
> > that Gnucash can export.
>
> In theory we keep a set of sample files in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/doc/examples and might add
> the missing there, if we get them, too.
>
> MTxxx formats
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWIFT_message_types
> are defined by SWIFT
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Worldwide_Interbank_Financial_Telecommunication
>
> There is Transition in progess from ISO 7775 over ISO 15022 to ISO 20022
> The genaral standard
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15022
> has in 2 flavours:
> traditional line oriented MT-formats (message types)
> and modern UNIFI (ISO 20022) xml files aka MX-format
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_20022
> Often the german wiki page has more details like field descritions. But
> I didn't see nice example files.
>
> DTA
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datentr%C3%A4geraustauschverfahren
> Was introduced by the german bank association ZKA
> - today: https://die-dk.de/en/ -
> in 1976 for magnetic tapes, later floppies, ...
> 2016-02-01 it was officially abandoned and replaced by
> B2B:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Banking_Internet_Communication_Standard,
> else: the above-mentioned ISO20022 (XML-Format).

Agreed better to concentrate on the replacement formats. Banks in Australia are very conservative at
adopting anything that allows direct online access by users. They tell me it is security related. I think they have by
passed all of the European developments driven primarily from Germany so i am stuck with  downloaded OFX files.

Since the above are fairly well defined standards there is probably no more to it than selecting a file correctly
formatted with the right extension in any case. Perhaps just put a note to the effect they are now obsolete and have
been replaced by...

David Cousens

>
> While the wikipedia page describes the structure IMHO there is no need
> to document a abandoned format.
>
> So, if you think we should add example files we should ask on
> gnucash-user and gnucash-de.
>
> > Best wishes
> > David (Cousens)
>
> ~Frank
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] ImpEx Sample files

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi David,

for simple samples you could ask on the user list,
for full featured test files read the specs or dig in
https://github.com/aqbanking/aqbanking . At least I don't know good
examples.

Frank

Am 20.09.18 um 00:46 schrieb David Cousens:
> Frank,
>
> I too had a look around and couldn't find any sample/test files but I had found the SWIFT and DTAUS. I am surprised the
> maintainers of the standards don't generate them to allow testing for compliance. If absolutely necessary I will
> generate my own. I'm reluctant to produce my own as there is no guarantee that they will conform but anything is better
> than nothin. I guess there is a lot of work in defining a sample file which tests all possible nuances of a given
> formatand particularly so when there is continuing development
>
> Thanks for the information on the set of sample files.I'll check them out and add any I do manage to find.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
12