[GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Hello,

I am sending this message as a heads up that I am preparing a PR for bug 796855, which seeks to pull content from the Help Manual Chapter 3 and put it into the Guide in Chapter 2.

In the course of doing this, a number of other changes were called for, such that I needed to add the beginnings of two new proposed chapters to the Guide: Importing Data (as suggested in bug 303164), and Configuring GnuCash (which ultimately will come from Help Chapter 10).

Adding these chapters necessitated my editing gnucash-guide.xml to include these new chapters, and since I was tinkering with the overall structure of the Getting Started section of the Guide, I chose to incorporate the chapters on Accounts and Transactions into the Basics chapter, as proposed in bug 687820.

<aside>I tried to retain ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml and simply edit the three files so that they became parts of a single chapter, but this resulted in mysterious “Failure to process entity chapter2” errors that I was entirely unable to edit away, except by copying the content of those two files directly into ch_basics.xml. So much for the “Use separate files and link them in docbook” approach.</aside>

Anyway, the PR has gotten entirely beyond my git skill set—meaning that, no matter what I do next, I will mess it up. My PR will have two new files to add to the repo, and ideally should have two files to remove from the repo, and I am unsure how to account for either circumstance.

Advice?

David
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens

> <aside>I tried to retain ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml and simply edit the three files so that
> they became parts of a single chapter, but this resulted in mysterious “Failure to process entity chapter2” errors
> that I was entirely unable to edit away, except by copying the content of those two files directly into ch_basics.xml.
> So much for the “Use separate files and link them in docbook” approach.</aside>
 David,
You would have to declare new entities for the files you wished to include in ch-basics within ch-basics put &<entity-
name> statements in ch-basics then remove the <chapter> and <title> tags and contents at the chapter level in each of
those files as well as removing the @entity statements and any !Entity definitions for the chapters you removed from
gnucash-guide.xml. After removing the chapter and associated tags the included files will also have to fit into the
defined structure for a chapter as defined by https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.0/chapter.html. That error usually indicates
a formatting problem with the tags in an included entity. Preceding error messages usually definine exactly where. The
altered files would of course have to be shifted from the Help directory to the guide directory and references in the
gnucash-help.xml removed

For your info I recently made changes to the import matcher code( Bug796778 to enable multiple selection of transactions
and assignement of a single destination account to them). I was looking for the appropriate place to document them in
the transactions section of the help manual and discovered that the importing had not been documented so I had nowhere
to put the changes into.

I started to prepare a change to the Help manual -Transactions chapter 6 covering importing from OFX/QFX, CSV, and QIF
including the changes to the import matcher, which is nearly complete and fitted in before the stub that is there for
online actions. As yet I haven't raised a documentation bug about that

If you haven't started writing the importing section, I could feed what I have done so far to you for incorporation as
you like. If the transactions chapter is going into the guide, it may be better to wait until you have shifted it and
then insert it into the new Guide at an appropriate place rather than pull it into the current master.If I do that I
think you would have to rebase to the current master to include my changes before committing your own chnages.

 John ralls may be able to advise us as to the best strategy.

David Cousens


> My PR will have two new files to add to the repo, and ideally should have two files to remove from the repo, and I am
> unsure how to account for either circumstance.
>
> Advice?
>
> David
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
In reply to this post by GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David,

Am 13.09.2018 um 02:46 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> <aside>I tried to retain ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml and simply edit the three files so that they became parts of a single chapter, but this resulted in mysterious “Failure to process entity chapter2” errors that I was entirely unable to edit away, except by copying the content of those two files directly into ch_basics.xml. So much for the “Use separate files and link them in docbook” approach.</aside>

In such a case you can push it in your fork and we can view it. It seems
you removed it, while Tried to reviw it.

I suspect, you forgot 'git add' for importing.xml or whatever chapter2
now should contain.

Regards
Frank

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David,

On September 13, 2018, at 1:31 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> <aside>I tried to retain ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml and simply edit the three files so that
>> they became parts of a single chapter, but this resulted in mysterious “Failure to process entity chapter2” errors
>> that I was entirely unable to edit away, except by copying the content of those two files directly into ch_basics.xml.
>> So much for the “Use separate files and link them in docbook” approach.</aside>
>David,
>You would have to declare new entities for the files you wished to include in ch-basics within ch-basics put &<entity-
>name> statements in ch-basics

What I did was leave the entity definitions for ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml, relabel them as chapter2a and chapter2b. I added entity statements for ch_importing.xml and ch_configuring.xml as chapter3 and chapter4. I added the new entities in the main compiling section of gnucash-guide.xml around line 497 or so.


>then remove the <chapter> and <title> tags and contents at the chapter level in each of

Did this as well (actually, I changed the chapter tags till sect1, and added one to each successive sect, which is pretty much the same thing). Spent an hour trying to locate any errors in tagging that might have resulted in the parsing error, decided to try the monolithic file approach. When I pasted the sections into one file, xmllint stopped throwing errors (meaning that the tagging was actually correct).

>those files as well as removing the @entity statements and any !Entity definitions for the chapters you removed from
>gnucash-guide.xml. After removing the chapter and associated tags the included files will also have to fit into the
>defined structure for a chapter as defined by https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.0/chapter.html. That error usually indicates
>a formatting problem with the tags in an included entity. Preceding error messages usually definine exactly where. The
>altered files would of course have to be shifted from the Help directory to the guide directory and references in the
>gnucash-help.xml removed
>For your info I recently made changes to the import matcher code( Bug796778 to enable multiple selection of transactions
>and assignement of a single destination account to them). I was looking for the appropriate place to document them in
>the transactions section of the help manual and discovered that the importing had not been documented so I had nowhere
>to put the changes into.
>I started to prepare a change to the Help manual -Transactions chapter 6 covering importing from OFX/QFX, CSV, and QIF
>including the changes to the import matcher, which is nearly complete and fitted in before the stub that is there for
>online actions. As yet I haven't raised a documentation bug about that
>If you haven't started writing the importing section, I could feed what I have done so far to you for incorporation as

I am open to any modality on this. My fork of the documentation on github has a stub file for importing in the Guide. It currently has the text from Help on importing qif files, but will ideally include all the other pieces as well.

David T.

>you like. If the transactions chapter is going into the guide, it may be better to wait until you have shifted it and
>then insert it into the new Guide at an appropriate place rather than pull it into the current master.If I do that I
>think you would have to rebase to the current master to include my changes before committing your own chnages.
>John ralls may be able to advise us as to the best strategy.
>David Cousens
>> My PR will have two new files to add to the repo, and ideally should have two files to remove from the repo, and I am
>> unsure how to account for either circumstance.
>>
>> Advice?
>>
>> David
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>_______________________________________________
>gnucash-devel mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Frank,

It's not in my repo because I couldn't get it to compile. To get it to compile, I had to incorporate the content of each file into ch_basics.xml.

AFAICT, the new files, ch_importing.xml and ch_configuring.xml, are in my repo, attached to my bug-796855 branch. So are ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml, which in my branch are not used any more.

If the general preference is to keep ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml as separate files, I don't know how to make them work. In that case, would I push these broken efforts to my own repo?

David

On September 13, 2018, at 2:28 AM, "Frank H. Ellenberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

Am 13.09.2018 um 02:46 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> <aside>I tried to retain ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml and simply edit the three files so that they became parts of a single chapter, but this resulted in mysterious “Failure to process entity chapter2” errors that I was entirely unable to edit away, except by copying the content of those two files directly into ch_basics.xml. So much for the “Use separate files and link them in docbook” approach.</aside>

In such a case you can push it in your fork and we can view it. It seems
you removed it, while Tried to reviw it.

I suspect, you forgot 'git add' for importing.xml or whatever chapter2
now should contain.

Regards
Frank

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 13 september 2018 14:32:12 CEST schreef D via gnucash-devel:

> Frank,
>
> It's not in my repo because I couldn't get it to compile. To get it to
> compile, I had to incorporate the content of each file into ch_basics.xml.
>
> AFAICT, the new files, ch_importing.xml and ch_configuring.xml, are in my
> repo, attached to my bug-796855 branch. So are ch_accts.xml and
> ch_txns.xml, which in my branch are not used any more.
>
> If the general preference is to keep ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml as
> separate files, I don't know how to make them work. In that case, would I
> push these broken efforts to my own repo?
>
David,

Yes, please do. That way others can help search for the issue.

Geert


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Updated as requested. My commit message includes the full output of "xmllint --valid --noout gnucash-guide.xml”

BTW, this sort of experience is yet another example of why I find this overall process to be inordinately painful. Some docbook guru will probably know immediately why this fails, but I sure as heck don’t, and having to muck around with this detracts from actually editing the text to be helpful.

David

> On Sep 13, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op donderdag 13 september 2018 14:32:12 CEST schreef D via gnucash-devel:
>> Frank,
>>
>> It's not in my repo because I couldn't get it to compile. To get it to
>> compile, I had to incorporate the content of each file into ch_basics.xml.
>>
>> AFAICT, the new files, ch_importing.xml and ch_configuring.xml, are in my
>> repo, attached to my bug-796855 branch. So are ch_accts.xml and
>> ch_txns.xml, which in my branch are not used any more.
>>
>> If the general preference is to keep ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml as
>> separate files, I don't know how to make them work. In that case, would I
>> push these broken efforts to my own repo?
>>
> David,
>
> Yes, please do. That way others can help search for the issue.
>
> Geert
>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Am 14.09.18 um 00:38 schrieb David T.:
> Updated as requested. My commit message includes the full output of "xmllint --valid --noout gnucash-guide.xml”
>  
> BTW, this sort of experience is yet another example of why I find this overall process to be inordinately painful. Some docbook guru will probably know immediately why this fails, but I sure as heck don’t, and having to muck around with this detracts from actually editing the text to be helpful.
>  
> David

At first there is a typo:
warning: failed to load external entity
"/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/guide/C/ch_txnss.xml"

guide/C/gnucash-guide.xml:15
-<!ENTITY chapter2b SYSTEM "ch_txnss.xml">
+<!ENTITY chapter2b SYSTEM "ch_txns.xml">

After that fix, I get

ch_txns.xml:1570: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
</chapter>
^

That means you can not close a tag, which was already opened outside of
 the chunk(file)

There are several approachs:

1.
ch_basics.xml:
<chapter id="chapter_basics">
  <title>The Basics</title>
:
</sect1>
&chapter2a;
&chapter2b;
</chapter>

2. like with parts
gnucash-guide.xml:
:
ch_basics.xml:
<chapter id="chapter_basics">
&chapter2;
&chapter2a;
&chapter2b;
</chapter>

3. test XInclude

Currently I tend to 2. to keep all
<!ENTITY chapterN SYSTEM "...">
&chapterN;
at one place.

Regards
Frank


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
The typo came about because threw the changes back together quickly before dinner

I adopted option 1, and it seems to have worked. Not sure how this is any better.

David

> On Sep 13, 2018, at 8:05 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 14.09.18 um 00:38 schrieb David T.:
>> Updated as requested. My commit message includes the full output of "xmllint --valid --noout gnucash-guide.xml”
>>
>> BTW, this sort of experience is yet another example of why I find this overall process to be inordinately painful. Some docbook guru will probably know immediately why this fails, but I sure as heck don’t, and having to muck around with this detracts from actually editing the text to be helpful.
>>
>> David
>
> At first there is a typo:
> warning: failed to load external entity
> "/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/guide/C/ch_txnss.xml"
>
> guide/C/gnucash-guide.xml:15
> -<!ENTITY chapter2b SYSTEM "ch_txnss.xml">
> +<!ENTITY chapter2b SYSTEM "ch_txns.xml">
>
> After that fix, I get
>
> ch_txns.xml:1570: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
> </chapter>
> ^
>
> That means you can not close a tag, which was already opened outside of
> the chunk(file)
>
> There are several approachs:
>
> 1.
> ch_basics.xml:
> <chapter id="chapter_basics">
>  <title>The Basics</title>
> :
> </sect1>
> &chapter2a;
> &chapter2b;
> </chapter>
>
> 2. like with parts
> gnucash-guide.xml:
> :
> ch_basics.xml:
> <chapter id="chapter_basics">
> &chapter2;
> &chapter2a;
> &chapter2b;
> </chapter>
>
> 3. test XInclude
>
> Currently I tend to 2. to keep all
> <!ENTITY chapterN SYSTEM "...">
> &chapterN;
> at one place.
>
> Regards
> Frank
>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens
In reply to this post by GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David ,

I have completed the import section as an addition to the Help  manual  CH
6. I have put a pull request to gnucash-docs on Github to incorporate it
into maint as the changes for the multiple selection may possibly go into
the next release.

Once it has been pulled into the main Github repository as Bug 796856.  I
think you will be able to get it by rebasing your repository to the maint
branch of the gnucash-docs Github repository. I only know enough git to be
dangerous so am not the best source of advice on how exactly to do that at
this stage. I am starting to understand what is going on now. I have used
git for quite a few years to my own repository but am now getting used to
the 3 way operation for code and documentation updates to GnuCash.

David Cousens



-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David,

A couple of points.

Why not put this directly into the new chapter in the Guide, rather than into the Help? This is precisely the kind of detailed information that belongs IMHO in the Guide rather than Help. I know it’s not in Maint yet, but it will be shortly.

Next, in the interest of completeness, your list should include *all* import formats, and stub sections for those formats later on. Someone else can provide detail later on, but the basic description needs to be complete.

Otherwise, this looks great. Thanks!

David T.


> On Sep 14, 2018, at 9:29 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David ,
>
> I have completed the import section as an addition to the Help  manual  CH
> 6. I have put a pull request to gnucash-docs on Github to incorporate it
> into maint as the changes for the multiple selection may possibly go into
> the next release.
>
> Once it has been pulled into the main Github repository as Bug 796856.  I
> think you will be able to get it by rebasing your repository to the maint
> branch of the gnucash-docs Github repository. I only know enough git to be
> dangerous so am not the best source of advice on how exactly to do that at
> this stage. I am starting to understand what is going on now. I have used
> git for quite a few years to my own repository but am now getting used to
> the 3 way operation for code and documentation updates to GnuCash.
>
> David Cousens
>
>
>
> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens
David

Main reason I pushed it through to the current Help manual is that I had it completed to slot in there already apart
from a bit of minor debugging. If the current vesion of the guide continues for v3.3 I thought it was worth having it in
the help manual at least. I agree it is really material for the guide. I had a look at your Github repository but I
coudn't see a branch for the new guide and you were 139 commits behind the maint on the Gnucash github, so I figured it
was easier to put it there and you can extract it from there. Changes are in Help_ch_Transactions.xml. I can send you
the code that you can slot into an appropriate position in the guide or formulate it as a pull request.  It is mainly
<sect2 > and <sect3> structures that should slot into an existing chapter structure without any problem. I'll attach the
XML file here as well.

There is one reference to a figure which is missing in the Import QIF section as for some reason i couldn't pull it off
the wiki and a few points where a couple of pics of the import matcher would make things even clearer. I'll put together
a patch for that. Probably worth waiting for the new guide to do that.

David Cousens




On Fri, 2018-09-14 at 22:51 -0400, David T. wrote:

> David,
>
> A couple of points.
>
> Why not put this directly into the new chapter in the Guide, rather than into the Help? This is precisely the kind of
> detailed information that belongs IMHO in the Guide rather than Help. I know it’s not in Maint yet, but it will be
> shortly.
>
> Next, in the interest of completeness, your list should include *all* import formats, and stub sections for those
> formats later on. Someone else can provide detail later on, but the basic description needs to be complete.
>
> Otherwise, this looks great. Thanks!
>
> David T.
>
>
> > On Sep 14, 2018, at 9:29 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > David ,
> >
> > I have completed the import section as an addition to the Help  manual  CH
> > 6. I have put a pull request to gnucash-docs on Github to incorporate it
> > into maint as the changes for the multiple selection may possibly go into
> > the next release.
> >
> > Once it has been pulled into the main Github repository as Bug 796856.  I
> > think you will be able to get it by rebasing your repository to the maint
> > branch of the gnucash-docs Github repository. I only know enough git to be
> > dangerous so am not the best source of advice on how exactly to do that at
> > this stage. I am starting to understand what is going on now. I have used
> > git for quite a few years to my own repository but am now getting used to
> > the 3 way operation for code and documentation updates to GnuCash.
> >
> > David Cousens
> >
> >
> >
> > -----
> > David Cousens
> > --
> > Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
> > _______________________________________________
> > gnucash-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

Help_ch_Transactions.xml (90K) Download Attachment
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens
In reply to this post by GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David,

I am not sure what is the best way to work on the new documentation with
you.  One way fo doing it would be for me to fork your personal  repository
into mine. I can then add the changes into your bug branch, push them to my
PR and then create a pull request to your PR to pull the changes into that
branch on your PR.

We don't want any changes going back to the main Gnucash repository until
they are completed and approved When that is the case I think it should be
possible for a single pull request from your PR into the main Github
repository to pull all changes through.

Perhaps Geert or John can advise whether this is a sensible way to proceed.  

A lot of things will have to be synchronized when the new Guide document is
complete (changes to  links  and sections on website, in the wiki describing
the structure of the help manual and the guide, FAQs referencing it etc) and
moved into the main documentation.

If evryone is happy happy with this  I will set it up on my end incorporate
what I have done so far and  perhaps adjust it to be a bit more consistent
with the style and start sneding the changes through to you.

David Cousens



-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by David Cousens
David,

I did not see this message previously; it got flagged as spam.

> On Sep 15, 2018, at 6:12 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David
>
> Main reason I pushed it through to the current Help manual is that I had it completed to slot in there already apart
> from a bit of minor debugging. If the current vesion of the guide continues for v3.3 I thought it was worth having it in
> the help manual at least. I agree it is really material for the guide. I had a look at your Github repository but I
> coudn't see a branch for the new guide and you were 139 commits behind the maint on the Gnucash github, so I figured it
> was easier to put it there and you can extract it from there.

I think you might have been comparing my fork of the program here, rather than my fork of gnucash-docs. AFAICT, my gnucash-docs fork of maint is even with the main repo, and my branch for bug-796855 is 5 commits ahead of gnucash-docs.

> Changes are in Help_ch_Transactions.xml. I can send you
> the code that you can slot into an appropriate position in the guide or formulate it as a pull request.  It is mainly
> <sect2 > and <sect3> structures that should slot into an existing chapter structure without any problem. I'll attach the
> XML file here as well.

I will try to dump your addition directly into mine shortly and see how that goes. If it happens smoothly, we can proceed from there.

>
> There is one reference to a figure which is missing in the Import QIF section as for some reason i couldn't pull it off
> the wiki and a few points where a couple of pics of the import matcher would make things even clearer. I'll put together
> a patch for that. Probably worth waiting for the new guide to do that.
>
> David Cousens

David T.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens
David,

It was the master branch which was 139 commits behind. I looked at the maint
branch and noticed it was up to date.

I have tried forking your repository but as I already had a fork of the main
gnucash-docs repository github wasn't letting me fork your repository
separately. It basically told me I already had that repository so no go. I
could delete my copy of the main Gnucash repository and maybe then it would
let me do it.

One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc update
in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.

something along the lines of the approach in the answer to this may be
useful.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14865283/proper-git-workflow-scheme-with-multiple-developers-working-on-same-task.

David Cousens






-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi David Cousens,

Am 18.09.18 um 10:36 schrieb David Cousens:

> David,
>  
> It was the master branch which was 139 commits behind. I looked at the maint
> branch and noticed it was up to date.
>  
> I have tried forking your repository but as I already had a fork of the main
> gnucash-docs repository github wasn't letting me fork your repository
> separately. It basically told me I already had that repository so no go. I
> could delete my copy of the main Gnucash repository and maybe then it would
> let me do it.

You can at least pull branches of forks like "BugXXX" in the repo on
your local machine. Usually you do not want to pull the maint and master
branch from forks under the same name.

I don't know, if it can also be done on the Github Web interface.
Perhaps David T. and Geert should document their progress in the wiki?

> One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc update  
> in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.  

David T. already pulled your work in
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/pull/115/commits

> something along the lines of the approach in the answer to this may be
> useful.
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14865283/proper-git-workflow-scheme-with-multiple-developers-working-on-same-task.
>  
> David Cousens

Frank

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by David Cousens
Op dinsdag 18 september 2018 10:36:14 CEST schreef David Cousens:

> David,
>
> It was the master branch which was 139 commits behind. I looked at the maint
> branch and noticed it was up to date.
>
> I have tried forking your repository but as I already had a fork of the main
> gnucash-docs repository github wasn't letting me fork your repository
> separately. It basically told me I already had that repository so no go. I
> could delete my copy of the main Gnucash repository and maybe then it would
> let me do it.
>
Indeed it appears github will only allow one fork of a repo.

> One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc update
> in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.
>
I prefer not to and I don't really see the need. There are other ways to
collaborate.

There is not really anything special about the Gnucash/gnucash-docs repo. What
you can do there, you can equally do with your personal forks.

And for that you even don't need to fork David T's repo. You can still pull
requests against it from your current Gnucash/gnucash-docs fork. You would do
so like any other pull request. The difference is that instead of going with
the defaults proposed by github, you change the target repo to David T's repo
(sunfish62).

You can publish your changes to your own fork and David T. can look at them
there. Or you create PR's and then David T. can review them as part of his
builds.

Yet another method could be that one of you adds the other as collaborator to
your personal fork. In that case both of you can work directly on the same
repo.

Regardless of the chosen route, be aware this will require more than basic
understanding of how git works. You'll now be on the pulling end of a pull
request, which means git's merge mechanics need to be understood.

Regards,

Geert


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi Frank,

The problem I was having is that until David Ts changes are merged into the main repo
I can't pull them using either GitHub or GitKraken to my local repo from the GnuCash-docs github.

I use Gitkraken and it has just allowed me to clone https://github.com/sunfish62/gnucash-docs into a second repo on my
computer so I should be able to feed any material to him through that. David suggested I add sections on the other
import  facilities i.e. DTAUS MT940 and MT942 I'm happy to do that but it will be easier if I can do the changes here
then send david a pull request.

One problem I will have is getting sample files for the MT940, MT942 and DTAUS formats so I can run through the
interfaces. I have a friend who was a manager with Deutsche Bank a few years ago but Klaus is now working for another
company in Melbourne.

If you know where I can find any sample files I would appreciate getting hold of them.  It would be good to have a
collection of  sample files for testing Gnucash in any case as part of the program. No problem for the internal ones
that Gnucash can export.
Best wishes
David (Cousens)

On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 13:15 +0200, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> Hi David Cousens,
>
> Am 18.09.18 um 10:36 schrieb David Cousens:
> > David,
> >  
> > It was the master branch which was 139 commits behind. I looked at the maint
> > branch and noticed it was up to date.
> >  
> > I have tried forking your repository but as I already had a fork of the main
> > gnucash-docs repository github wasn't letting me fork your repository
> > separately. It basically told me I already had that repository so no go. I
> > could delete my copy of the main Gnucash repository and maybe then it would
> > let me do it.
>
> You can at least pull branches of forks like "BugXXX" in the repo on
> your local machine. Usually you do not want to pull the maint and master
> branch from forks under the same name.
>
> I don't know, if it can also be done on the Github Web interface.
> Perhaps David T. and Geert should document their progress in the wiki?
>
> > One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc update  
> > in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.  
>
> David T. already pulled your work in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/pull/115/commits
>
> > something along the lines of the approach in the answer to this may be
> > useful.
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14865283/proper-git-workflow-scheme-with-multiple-developers-working-on-same-tas
> > k.
> >  
> > David Cousens
>
> Frank
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
David,

I am glad that you are taking on this aspect of the docs. Thank you.

I would like to note to you (and reiterate for the larger group) the following important information:

I am a POOR CHOICE to be considered some kind of documentation expert. While I have a great deal of editorial experience, and have reasonable technical writing sensibilities, I have demonstrated over the years a profound and preternatural ability to mess up this documentation process. Placing your trust in my skills and abilities is likely to lead to trouble.

David

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 9:00 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> The problem I was having is that until David Ts changes are merged into the main repo
> I can't pull them using either GitHub or GitKraken to my local repo from the GnuCash-docs github.
>
> I use Gitkraken and it has just allowed me to clone https://github.com/sunfish62/gnucash-docs into a second repo on my
> computer so I should be able to feed any material to him through that. David suggested I add sections on the other
> import  facilities i.e. DTAUS MT940 and MT942 I'm happy to do that but it will be easier if I can do the changes here
> then send david a pull request.
>
> One problem I will have is getting sample files for the MT940, MT942 and DTAUS formats so I can run through the
> interfaces. I have a friend who was a manager with Deutsche Bank a few years ago but Klaus is now working for another
> company in Melbourne.
>
> If you know where I can find any sample files I would appreciate getting hold of them.  It would be good to have a
> collection of  sample files for testing Gnucash in any case as part of the program. No problem for the internal ones
> that Gnucash can export.
> Best wishes
> David (Cousens)
>
> On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 13:15 +0200, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>> Hi David Cousens,
>>
>> Am 18.09.18 um 10:36 schrieb David Cousens:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> It was the master branch which was 139 commits behind. I looked at the maint
>>> branch and noticed it was up to date.
>>>
>>> I have tried forking your repository but as I already had a fork of the main
>>> gnucash-docs repository github wasn't letting me fork your repository
>>> separately. It basically told me I already had that repository so no go. I
>>> could delete my copy of the main Gnucash repository and maybe then it would
>>> let me do it.
>>
>> You can at least pull branches of forks like "BugXXX" in the repo on
>> your local machine. Usually you do not want to pull the maint and master
>> branch from forks under the same name.
>>
>> I don't know, if it can also be done on the Github Web interface.
>> Perhaps David T. and Geert should document their progress in the wiki?
>>
>>> One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc update  
>>> in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.  
>>
>> David T. already pulled your work in
>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/pull/115/commits
>>
>>> something along the lines of the approach in the answer to this may be
>>> useful.
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14865283/proper-git-workflow-scheme-with-multiple-developers-working-on-same-tas
>>> k.
>>>
>>> David Cousens
>>
>> Frank
>>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by David Cousens
David,

Doesn’t GitKraken allow you to have multiple remotes in a repo?

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 6:00 AM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> The problem I was having is that until David Ts changes are merged into the main repo
> I can't pull them using either GitHub or GitKraken to my local repo from the GnuCash-docs github.
>
> I use Gitkraken and it has just allowed me to clone https://github.com/sunfish62/gnucash-docs into a second repo on my
> computer so I should be able to feed any material to him through that. David suggested I add sections on the other
> import  facilities i.e. DTAUS MT940 and MT942 I'm happy to do that but it will be easier if I can do the changes here
> then send david a pull request.
>
> One problem I will have is getting sample files for the MT940, MT942 and DTAUS formats so I can run through the
> interfaces. I have a friend who was a manager with Deutsche Bank a few years ago but Klaus is now working for another
> company in Melbourne.
>
> If you know where I can find any sample files I would appreciate getting hold of them.  It would be good to have a
> collection of  sample files for testing Gnucash in any case as part of the program. No problem for the internal ones
> that Gnucash can export.
> Best wishes
> David (Cousens)
>
> On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 13:15 +0200, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>> Hi David Cousens,
>>
>> Am 18.09.18 um 10:36 schrieb David Cousens:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> It was the master branch which was 139 commits behind. I looked at the maint
>>> branch and noticed it was up to date.
>>>
>>> I have tried forking your repository but as I already had a fork of the main
>>> gnucash-docs repository github wasn't letting me fork your repository
>>> separately. It basically told me I already had that repository so no go. I
>>> could delete my copy of the main Gnucash repository and maybe then it would
>>> let me do it.
>>
>> You can at least pull branches of forks like "BugXXX" in the repo on
>> your local machine. Usually you do not want to pull the maint and master
>> branch from forks under the same name.
>>
>> I don't know, if it can also be done on the Github Web interface.
>> Perhaps David T. and Geert should document their progress in the wiki?
>>
>>> One other way to do it may be to create the bug branch for the doc update  
>>> in the main Gnucash repository if John and Geert are willing to do that.  
>>
>> David T. already pulled your work in
>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/pull/115/commits
>>
>>> something along the lines of the approach in the answer to this may be
>>> useful.
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14865283/proper-git-workflow-scheme-with-multiple-developers-working-on-same-tas
>>> k.
>>>
>>> David Cousens
>>
>> Frank
>>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
12