[GNC-dev] Full Screen oddities GC3.4, Mac Mojave

[GNC-dev] Full Screen oddities GC3.4, Mac Mojave

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Hi.

I have found that GnuCash 3.4 behaves idiosyncratically when using full screen mode on MacOS.

When in full screen mode, GC spawns every child window as full screen as well. This is rather jarring when the window in question is a question dialog (e.g., Do you want to create a new account? Y/N). Furthermore, attempts to exit full screen mode (e.g., by pressing Escape) can cause GC to crash (Bug #797059).

Cheers,

Re: [GNC-dev] Full Screen oddities GC3.4, Mac Mojave

John Ralls-2

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 4:52 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I have found that GnuCash 3.4 behaves idiosyncratically when using full screen mode on MacOS.
>
> When in full screen mode, GC spawns every child window as full screen as well. This is rather jarring when the window in question is a question dialog (e.g., Do you want to create a new account? Y/N). Furthermore, attempts to exit full screen mode (e.g., by pressing Escape) can cause GC to crash (Bug #797059).

The first is a design mismatch between Apple’s full-screen mode and Gtk. Gtk uses NSWindows for all top levels, including dialogs, and Apple’s full-screen mode makes all NSWindows full screen.

Escape doesn’t exit full-screen. View>Exit Full Screen does, but it’s disabled when there’s a modal dialog running, and the Edit Accounts Dialog is modal.

I tried it out just now and found that in the case where you got wedged there are two GnuCash screens, filename.gnucash-AccountName-Gnucash and New Account-Expenses-Foo. The first is black because its event loop is stopped, but hovering at the top will reveal the menu. The other is the full-screened Edit Accounts dialog box. Clicking cancel on the Edit Accounts dialog box leaves the full-screen GnuCash window black, but one can get the view menu and click Exit Full Screen. What happens next is a bit weird: The screen stays black. Using command tab to switch to another application and back to GnuCash displays the not-full-screen GnuCash on that new desktop.