[GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Jacob Larsen
Hi

Not sure if this is a dev or user question, but I suspect the people who
can answer are devs.

I am trying to get 3.4 to run on Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04 base). I have
gotten it to build, but the summary bar on the accounts tab is screwed
up. If I click it, it looks somewhat fine, but if I close it, it is
about three times as high as it should be, and there are no numbers on
it. Also, all the fields seem to clutter together on the left side.

Not much of an issue, but it might be relevant. It seems like the font
used for transactions in the ledger has slightly bigger spacing around
the text compared to my previous version (2.6)

I'm guessing this is probably a dependency thing, but can somebody help
narrow down which one? Which lib is used for this summary bar.

/Jacob

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Geert Janssens-4
The summary bar is using stock gtk widgets. So if there's a library dependency
issue it would be gtk or one of its dependencies.

Note gnucash switched from gtk2 to gtk3 between gnucash 2.6 and 3. This has
lots of visual side effects because gtk3's default styling is quite different
from gtk2's.

This shows in lots of ways. Increased padding in various places (like in the
register as you mention) is one example.

I don't see the summary bar inflation on Fedora 29, though the summary bar
pop-up is not really consistent in where it pops up. It's usually way too
high.

What desktop environment are you using on Mint 18.3 ? And is it using Wayland
or X11 ? If it is Wayland, can you try an X11 session ?

Geert

Op zaterdag 23 februari 2019 23:41:12 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:

> Hi
>
> Not sure if this is a dev or user question, but I suspect the people who
> can answer are devs.
>
> I am trying to get 3.4 to run on Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04 base). I have
> gotten it to build, but the summary bar on the accounts tab is screwed
> up. If I click it, it looks somewhat fine, but if I close it, it is
> about three times as high as it should be, and there are no numbers on
> it. Also, all the fields seem to clutter together on the left side.
>
> Not much of an issue, but it might be relevant. It seems like the font
> used for transactions in the ledger has slightly bigger spacing around
> the text compared to my previous version (2.6)
>
> I'm guessing this is probably a dependency thing, but can somebody help
> narrow down which one? Which lib is used for this summary bar.
>
> /Jacob

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Jacob,

I build GC 3.4 on Linux Mint Tara (19) and don't see any problems with the
summary bar or status bar if I open or close them. There were a few slight
visible differences moving from gtk-2 to gtk-3 as Geert mentioned. It may
also be worth looking at the dependencies for the gtk3 library and checking
that 18.3 hasloaded the required library versions with apt. It's been over 6
months since I changed from 18.3 to 19. I vaguely remember just before I
changed to 19 that I had to build and load some libraries from source when i
was building the last v2.6 and v2.7 just before the release of 3.0.  It may
be some of the library versions required are not available in the 18.3
repository.

You can list the package dependencies with
apt-cache depends <package-name>

and
apt-cache search <string>
where <string> is the package name or a substring of it,.

may help with identifying packages  which are identified by a name and not
the actual installed library name in the apt cache. E.g. the javafx package
is actually named openjfx in the apt repository.

dpkg -l |grep <string>

helps with identifying the installed versions of packages .

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Jacob Larsen
Hi Geert

This is Mint on the Mate desktop. I found this from the configure log
that seems related: "No package 'gwengui-gtk3' found"

This package is not available in the Ubuntu 16.04 base, but was
introduced in 18.04. If this package is critical to GnuCash then it
seems the configure script has a bug here. I can see that I have the
gtk2 version of the package installed, perhaps that causes the confusion?

I'm not sure I will get closer to this. I have been putting off an
upgrade for far too long and it is probably easier to do the upgrade and
try again.

/Jacob

On 24/02/2019 00.39, Geert Janssens wrote:

> The summary bar is using stock gtk widgets. So if there's a library dependency
> issue it would be gtk or one of its dependencies.
>
> Note gnucash switched from gtk2 to gtk3 between gnucash 2.6 and 3. This has
> lots of visual side effects because gtk3's default styling is quite different
> from gtk2's.
>
> This shows in lots of ways. Increased padding in various places (like in the
> register as you mention) is one example.
>
> I don't see the summary bar inflation on Fedora 29, though the summary bar
> pop-up is not really consistent in where it pops up. It's usually way too
> high.
>
> What desktop environment are you using on Mint 18.3 ? And is it using Wayland
> or X11 ? If it is Wayland, can you try an X11 session ?
>
> Geert
>
> Op zaterdag 23 februari 2019 23:41:12 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:
>> Hi
>>
>> Not sure if this is a dev or user question, but I suspect the people who
>> can answer are devs.
>>
>> I am trying to get 3.4 to run on Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04 base). I have
>> gotten it to build, but the summary bar on the accounts tab is screwed
>> up. If I click it, it looks somewhat fine, but if I close it, it is
>> about three times as high as it should be, and there are no numbers on
>> it. Also, all the fields seem to clutter together on the left side.
>>
>> Not much of an issue, but it might be relevant. It seems like the font
>> used for transactions in the ledger has slightly bigger spacing around
>> the text compared to my previous version (2.6)
>>
>> I'm guessing this is probably a dependency thing, but can somebody help
>> narrow down which one? Which lib is used for this summary bar.
>>
>> /Jacob

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Geert Janssens-4
Hi Jacob,

I don't think the missing gwengui-gtk3 package is related. We anticipated it
would not be available on several distros by the time gnucash 3 would be
released. So if that package is not found, gnucash  will be built with an
internal copy of this package. So regardless of whether your distro ships it,
gnucash will have access to a copy.
In addition, gwengui-gtk3 is only used for online banking stuff. It should
have no influence whatsoever on the summary bar on that Account hierarchy tab.

I have not really much advice to give here as I'm not using Mint. If you wish
to experiment a bit further, you may try to run gnucash from a different
desktop and/or figure out whether Linux Mint/Mate is running on a Wayland
compositor or an X11 one.

Op zondag 24 februari 2019 22:14:44 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:

> Hi Geert
>
> This is Mint on the Mate desktop. I found this from the configure log
> that seems related: "No package 'gwengui-gtk3' found"
>
> This package is not available in the Ubuntu 16.04 base, but was
> introduced in 18.04. If this package is critical to GnuCash then it
> seems the configure script has a bug here. I can see that I have the
> gtk2 version of the package installed, perhaps that causes the confusion?
>
> I'm not sure I will get closer to this. I have been putting off an
> upgrade for far too long and it is probably easier to do the upgrade and
> try again.
>
> /Jacob
>
> On 24/02/2019 00.39, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > The summary bar is using stock gtk widgets. So if there's a library
> > dependency issue it would be gtk or one of its dependencies.
> >
> > Note gnucash switched from gtk2 to gtk3 between gnucash 2.6 and 3. This
> > has
> > lots of visual side effects because gtk3's default styling is quite
> > different from gtk2's.
> >
> > This shows in lots of ways. Increased padding in various places (like in
> > the register as you mention) is one example.
> >
> > I don't see the summary bar inflation on Fedora 29, though the summary bar
> > pop-up is not really consistent in where it pops up. It's usually way too
> > high.
> >
> > What desktop environment are you using on Mint 18.3 ? And is it using
> > Wayland or X11 ? If it is Wayland, can you try an X11 session ?
> >
> > Geert
> >
> > Op zaterdag 23 februari 2019 23:41:12 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Not sure if this is a dev or user question, but I suspect the people who
> >> can answer are devs.
> >>
> >> I am trying to get 3.4 to run on Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04 base). I have
> >> gotten it to build, but the summary bar on the accounts tab is screwed
> >> up. If I click it, it looks somewhat fine, but if I close it, it is
> >> about three times as high as it should be, and there are no numbers on
> >> it. Also, all the fields seem to clutter together on the left side.
> >>
> >> Not much of an issue, but it might be relevant. It seems like the font
> >> used for transactions in the ledger has slightly bigger spacing around
> >> the text compared to my previous version (2.6)
> >>
> >> I'm guessing this is probably a dependency thing, but can somebody help
> >> narrow down which one? Which lib is used for this summary bar.
> >>
> >> /Jacob

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Jacob Larsen
Hi Geert

I'm starting a backup now to prepare for upgrade, I don't think I will
do more in this direction. I tried this in both Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and
Mint 19.1 in VMs, and both looked fine. So just backing up and running a
long overdue upgrade instead.

I'm pretty sure Mate runs on X11 though.

/Jacob

On 24/02/2019 22.49, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Hi Jacob,
>
> I don't think the missing gwengui-gtk3 package is related. We anticipated it
> would not be available on several distros by the time gnucash 3 would be
> released. So if that package is not found, gnucash  will be built with an
> internal copy of this package. So regardless of whether your distro ships it,
> gnucash will have access to a copy.
> In addition, gwengui-gtk3 is only used for online banking stuff. It should
> have no influence whatsoever on the summary bar on that Account hierarchy tab.
>
> I have not really much advice to give here as I'm not using Mint. If you wish
> to experiment a bit further, you may try to run gnucash from a different
> desktop and/or figure out whether Linux Mint/Mate is running on a Wayland
> compositor or an X11 one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> Op zondag 24 februari 2019 22:14:44 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:
>> Hi Geert
>>
>> This is Mint on the Mate desktop. I found this from the configure log
>> that seems related: "No package 'gwengui-gtk3' found"
>>
>> This package is not available in the Ubuntu 16.04 base, but was
>> introduced in 18.04. If this package is critical to GnuCash then it
>> seems the configure script has a bug here. I can see that I have the
>> gtk2 version of the package installed, perhaps that causes the confusion?
>>
>> I'm not sure I will get closer to this. I have been putting off an
>> upgrade for far too long and it is probably easier to do the upgrade and
>> try again.
>>
>> /Jacob
>>
>> On 24/02/2019 00.39, Geert Janssens wrote:
>>> The summary bar is using stock gtk widgets. So if there's a library
>>> dependency issue it would be gtk or one of its dependencies.
>>>
>>> Note gnucash switched from gtk2 to gtk3 between gnucash 2.6 and 3. This
>>> has
>>> lots of visual side effects because gtk3's default styling is quite
>>> different from gtk2's.
>>>
>>> This shows in lots of ways. Increased padding in various places (like in
>>> the register as you mention) is one example.
>>>
>>> I don't see the summary bar inflation on Fedora 29, though the summary bar
>>> pop-up is not really consistent in where it pops up. It's usually way too
>>> high.
>>>
>>> What desktop environment are you using on Mint 18.3 ? And is it using
>>> Wayland or X11 ? If it is Wayland, can you try an X11 session ?
>>>
>>> Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Geert Janssens-4
Ok, good luck!

Geert

Op zondag 24 februari 2019 23:55:01 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:

> Hi Geert
>
> I'm starting a backup now to prepare for upgrade, I don't think I will
> do more in this direction. I tried this in both Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and
> Mint 19.1 in VMs, and both looked fine. So just backing up and running a
> long overdue upgrade instead.
>
> I'm pretty sure Mate runs on X11 though.
>
> /Jacob
>
> On 24/02/2019 22.49, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Hi Jacob,
> >
> > I don't think the missing gwengui-gtk3 package is related. We anticipated
> > it would not be available on several distros by the time gnucash 3 would
> > be released. So if that package is not found, gnucash  will be built with
> > an internal copy of this package. So regardless of whether your distro
> > ships it, gnucash will have access to a copy.
> > In addition, gwengui-gtk3 is only used for online banking stuff. It should
> > have no influence whatsoever on the summary bar on that Account hierarchy
> > tab.
> >
> > I have not really much advice to give here as I'm not using Mint. If you
> > wish to experiment a bit further, you may try to run gnucash from a
> > different desktop and/or figure out whether Linux Mint/Mate is running on
> > a Wayland compositor or an X11 one.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert
> >
> > Op zondag 24 februari 2019 22:14:44 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:
> >> Hi Geert
> >>
> >> This is Mint on the Mate desktop. I found this from the configure log
> >> that seems related: "No package 'gwengui-gtk3' found"
> >>
> >> This package is not available in the Ubuntu 16.04 base, but was
> >> introduced in 18.04. If this package is critical to GnuCash then it
> >> seems the configure script has a bug here. I can see that I have the
> >> gtk2 version of the package installed, perhaps that causes the confusion?
> >>
> >> I'm not sure I will get closer to this. I have been putting off an
> >> upgrade for far too long and it is probably easier to do the upgrade and
> >> try again.
> >>
> >> /Jacob

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Jacob Larsen
Hi again

I got back up and running. Turns out that reports are broken in my
build. Opening any report like profit/loss or cashflow report will cause
my system to lock up to a point where I have to do a hard reset. Not
sure how that can be accomplished on a modern kernel, but probably some
variant of a fork bomb. Though I can see that CPU usage seems relatively
low while load average rises to extreme levels. Screen keeps updating,
but there is no reaction to input.

I'm assuming reports aren't generally broken in 3.4, so we are back to
the dependency issue. Do you have a pointer to where I should look for
issues with reports?

/Jacob

On 25/02/2019 00.14, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Ok, good luck!
>
> Geert
>
> Op zondag 24 februari 2019 23:55:01 CET schreef Jacob Larsen:
>> Hi Geert
>>
>> I'm starting a backup now to prepare for upgrade, I don't think I will
>> do more in this direction. I tried this in both Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and
>> Mint 19.1 in VMs, and both looked fine. So just backing up and running a
>> long overdue upgrade instead.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Mate runs on X11 though.
>>
>> /Jacob
>>
>> On 24/02/2019 22.49, Geert Janssens wrote:
>>> Hi Jacob,
>>>
>>> I don't think the missing gwengui-gtk3 package is related. We anticipated
>>> it would not be available on several distros by the time gnucash 3 would
>>> be released. So if that package is not found, gnucash  will be built with
>>> an internal copy of this package. So regardless of whether your distro
>>> ships it, gnucash will have access to a copy.
>>> In addition, gwengui-gtk3 is only used for online banking stuff. It should
>>> have no influence whatsoever on the summary bar on that Account hierarchy
>>> tab.
>>>
>>> I have not really much advice to give here as I'm not using Mint. If you
>>> wish to experiment a bit further, you may try to run gnucash from a
>>> different desktop and/or figure out whether Linux Mint/Mate is running on
>>> a Wayland compositor or an X11 one.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Geert

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

David Cousens
Jacob,

The reports use Scheme which is implemented in the Guile libraries so they
are a likely candidate.

The dependencies for V3 are listed
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies which is a breakout from the
general instructions for building at  https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
and the Linux instructions at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Building_on_Linux_Distributions.
Installation of the dependencies is described
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Installing_Dependencies. These instructions
were originally formulated on Linux Mint 18.3/Ubuntu 16.04 with v 2.6 but
have been updated for V3 and also for Linux Mint 19.1/Ubuntu 18.04 but have
also been used for Ubuntu 18.10 as well.

Check the Guile library version you have installed. The Cmake command should
be checking this and stopping if the required library versions are not
present.

Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html

Re: [GNC-dev] Building 3.4 on Mint 18.3

Jacob Larsen
Thanks, I missed the specific installation page and just tried to
install from the generic dependency page, trying to guess the actual
package names. I had missed a few, but it looks like that was not the
issue though.

Turns out that I had to switch from the nouveau graphics driver to the
proprietary driver, and now it works. So while the updated dependencies
might be required for other things, they were not actually my issue, but
it seems a broken graphics driver. Which is not broken with the stock
gnucash 2.6 that comes with Mint 19.1 Mate.

Something I probably should have seen sooner given that a complete
system freeze normally points to something in kernel space

/Jacob