[GNC] delete invoice or bill

Contact at Starfire Energy
Is there a way to delete an invoice created in error or a bill created
in error?

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

Adrien Monteleone-2
Sorry, they can’t be deleted.

The recommended procedure is to change the bill/invoice number to something like “use next”. You can additionally create a placeholder customer and vendor to assign them to if you like.

Then just try to remember at some point to search for any bills/invoices numbered “use next” and edit them to reflect a real new bill/invoice.

> On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Contact at Starfire Energy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to delete an invoice created in error or a bill created in error?

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

GnuCash - User mailing list
On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 2:23 AM Adrien Monteleone
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Contact at Starfire Energy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to delete an invoice created in error or a bill created in error?
>
> Sorry, they can’t be deleted.

Why?

> The recommended procedure is to change the bill/invoice number to something like “use next”. You can additionally create a placeholder customer and vendor to assign them to if you like.
>
> Then just try to remember at some point to search for any bills/invoices numbered “use next” and edit them to reflect a real new bill/invoice.

Instead of letting people correct bad data?

Mark

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Oct 22, 2019 w43d295, at 2:44 PM, Mark Hedges <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 2:23 AM Adrien Monteleone
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Contact at Starfire Energy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to delete an invoice created in error or a bill created in error?
>>
>> Sorry, they can’t be deleted.
>
> Why?

I don’t know. I didn’t write the code. Maybe Derek (who did) can chime in. Generally though in accounting, you don’t delete *anything*, you instead make correcting entries. Pencils are forbidden in accounting classes because you could erase instead of getting in the habit of making correcting entries. Official paper books in pencil would likely be extremely suspicious in an audit.

At least with GnuCash you have the option to unpost a bill/invoice and re-use/re-assign and edit it later.

>> The recommended procedure is to change the bill/invoice number to something like “use next”. You can additionally create a placeholder customer and vendor to assign them to if you like.
>>
>> Then just try to remember at some point to search for any bills/invoices numbered “use next” and edit them to reflect a real new bill/invoice.
>
> Instead of letting people correct bad data?
>
> Mark

You can correct bad data, using the procedure I described. If you unpost an invoice, it will not appear in your reports or in your AR/AP registers. So technically, there is no ‘bad data’ in your books any more to correct. Your data file contains a reference to an unposted invoice though. (which is editable)

The idea of changing the invoice number to something like ‘use next’ is so that when starting a new invoice/bill, if you get in the habit of searching for that number first, you can then ‘clean out’ those unposted/unused invoices/bills. Unfortunately, there is no other way to keep track of them to remind you that you need to use them.

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

Contact at Starfire Energy
Thanks all.  The recommendation below is what we have been doing.  I
appreciate you looking into it.  :)

On 10/22/19 1:44 PM, Mark Hedges wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 2:23 AM Adrien Monteleone
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Contact at Starfire Energy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to delete an invoice created in error or a bill created in error?
>> Sorry, they can’t be deleted.
> Why?
>
>> The recommended procedure is to change the bill/invoice number to something like “use next”. You can additionally create a placeholder customer and vendor to assign them to if you like.
>>
>> Then just try to remember at some point to search for any bills/invoices numbered “use next” and edit them to reflect a real new bill/invoice.
> Instead of letting people correct bad data?
>
> Mark

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

Derek Atkins-3

On Tue, October 22, 2019 3:44 pm, Mark Hedges via gnucash-user wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 2:23 AM Adrien Monteleone
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Contact at Starfire Energy
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Is there a way to delete an invoice created in error or a bill created
>> in error?
>>
>> Sorry, they can’t be deleted.
>
> Why?

Because the logic to ensure that an invoice or bill can be safely removed
is extremely complex.  So complex that it was much easier to just prevent
deletion.  If you don't like it, patches are always welcome.

>> The recommended procedure is to change the bill/invoice number to
>> something like “use next”. You can additionally create a placeholder
>> customer and vendor to assign them to if you like.
>>
>> Then just try to remember at some point to search for any bills/invoices
>> numbered “use next” and edit them to reflect a real new bill/invoice.
>
> Instead of letting people correct bad data?

This is how you correct bad data -- by re-using the underlying data
structure.  The assumption is that the user will make more invoices, so
re-using vs creating is not an extreme burden.

Again, if you don't like this, patches are always welcome.

> Mark

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 1:13 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> The recommended procedure is to change the bill/invoice number to
> >> something like “use next”. You can additionally create a placeholder
> >> customer and vendor to assign them to if you like.
> >>
> >> Then just try to remember at some point to search for any bills/invoices
> >> numbered “use next” and edit them to reflect a real new bill/invoice.
> >
> > Instead of letting people correct bad data?
>
> This is how you correct bad data -- by re-using the underlying data
> structure.  The assumption is that the user will make more invoices, so
> re-using vs creating is not an extreme burden.

Vendor A has Job X.  I created an invoice for Vendor B and assigned
Job X.  The invoice was created for Vendor A (from the Job) but I
didn't notice, so I had to unpost it.  It's the same job from my
company's perspective, and the same person, but A was him personally
and B was his new LLC.  I wasn't able to change the vendor from the
invoice edit screen.  The erroneous invoice cannot be re-used.  I
created a new Job Y for Vendor B and created a new invoice.

Mark

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

Derek Atkins-3
It can be reused.  Just assign a different vendor.

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
On October 23, 2019 12:41:12 PM Mark Hedges <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Instead of letting people correct bad data?
>>
>> This is how you correct bad data -- by re-using the underlying data
>> structure.  The assumption is that the user will make more invoices, so
>> re-using vs creating is not an extreme burden.
>
> Vendor A has Job X.  I created an invoice for Vendor B and assigned
> Job X.  The invoice was created for Vendor A (from the Job) but I
> didn't notice, so I had to unpost it.  It's the same job from my
> company's perspective, and the same person, but A was him personally
> and B was his new LLC.  I wasn't able to change the vendor from the
> invoice edit screen.  The erroneous invoice cannot be re-used.  I
> created a new Job Y for Vendor B and created a new invoice.
>
> Mark

Re: [GNC] delete invoice or bill

There’s a bug report on that point specifically.

The invoice screen appears to look like you can edit some data when you can’t.

The way to edit then is to click the ‘Edit Invoice’ button, and in that additional dialog, you can change the vendor.

This should be documented in the Help or Guide, but if not, that would be another bug that needs to be filed.

Mark Hedges <[hidden email]> writes:

> Vendor A has Job X.  I created an invoice for Vendor B and assigned
> Job X.  The invoice was created for Vendor A (from the Job) but I
> didn't notice, so I had to unpost it.  It's the same job from my
> company's perspective, and the same person, but A was him personally
> and B was his new LLC.  I wasn't able to change the vendor from the
> invoice edit screen.  The erroneous invoice cannot be re-used.  I
> created a new Job Y for Vendor B and created a new invoice.

When you assigned Job X to the invoice, it "overrides" the vendor you
previously selected, because the vendor is now Job X's vendor (whomever
that may be -- in this case Vendor A).  To change that you would need to
unpost the invoice, then click the "Edit Invoice" button to raise the
Edit Invoice Dialog.  From there you can re-select the vendor and/or
job.

Note that a Job applies to a single Vendor, so if Job X -> Vendor A, you
cannot have Job X & Vendor B.  You would need to create Job Y -> Vendor
B and then select Job Y.

You are correct that you cannot change it from the Invoice Register
window.  You need to click "Edit Invoice" to change the owner.

> Mark

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745