[GNC] custom .chk file crashes GnuCash 3.4

[GNC] custom .chk file crashes GnuCash 3.4

Mike stagl
Gnucash 3.4 on Debian 9

I have been using a custom check format (.chk) file I wrote for GnuCash
3.2.  It worked fine until I upgraded to 3.4.  When I go to File->Print
Checks, GnuCash 3.4 crashes before the dialog box even opens.

If I delete the custom .chk file and open GnuCash 3.4, it will print a
default check format fine.

I rolled back to GnuCash 3.2 and my custom file prints fine.

Did anything change with 3.4 that I would need to modify in my .chk
file?

Thanks to all the contributors,

Mike

Re: [GNC] custom .chk file crashes GnuCash 3.4

Mike stagl
Upon further investigation, it appears that having any custom check
file in the folder ~/.local/share/gnucash/checks will cause this crash,
even a working file copied from the GnuCash checks folder (with an
altered name and GUID).

I instead placed my custom file in my GNC_DATA_HOME folder (for me
/usr/local/share/gnucash/checks) and it appears to work again.

Maybe I wasn't supposed to have my custom file in USER_DATA_HOME?

Just my experiences,

Mike

On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 10:34 -0500, Mike wrote:

> Gnucash 3.4 on Debian 9
>
> I have been using a custom check format (.chk) file I wrote for
> GnuCash
> 3.2.  It worked fine until I upgraded to 3.4.  When I go to File-
> >Print
> Checks, GnuCash 3.4 crashes before the dialog box even opens.
>
> If I delete the custom .chk file and open GnuCash 3.4, it will print
> default check format fine.
>
> I rolled back to GnuCash 3.2 and my custom file prints fine.
>
> Did anything change with 3.4 that I would need to modify in my .chk
> file?
>
> Thanks to all the contributors,
>
> Mike

Re: [GNC] custom .chk file crashes GnuCash 3.4

John Ralls-2
You are, but GnuCash shouldn’t crash if the .chk file is in the wrong place. Please file a bug. If you can get a stack trace of the crash that will help a lot.