[GNC] csv File downloads

Jane K. Aldea
   Hello:

   I am no longer able to download one of my credit card statements in QFX
   format, but every time I try to import a csv file, the system crashes.
   Where can I find proper instructions on how to get the csv  import to
   work?

   Many thanks,

   Regards,

   Jane Knichel Aldea

   201-725-3507

   Sent from [1]Mail for Windows 10

References

   1. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986

Re: [GNC] csv File downloads

Tommy Trussell
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:18 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   I am no longer able to download one of my credit card statements in QFX
>    format, but every time I try to import a csv file, the system crashes.
>    Where can I find proper instructions on how to get the csv  import to
>    work?

>    Jane Knichel Aldea

>    Sent from [1]Mail for Windows 10
>
> References
>
>    1. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986

Greetings!

I assume based upon the footer of your message you're using GnuCash on
Windows.

What version of GnuCash are you using? Where did you get it? The best way
is to follow the download links from http://gnucash.org/  (There are some
"derivative" versions such as the "Portable Apps" versions, so if you're
using those it might be an important distinction.) The current stable
released version is 3.8.

What do you mean by "the system crashes"? Do you see an error message? Does
your screen turn a lovely shade of blue? (Hopefully I'm being silly there;
I don't run Windows so I don't know if recent versions ever crash and make
a "blue screen" anymore.)

As noted below, please copy your response to the list so folks who know
more than I

Re: [GNC] csv File downloads

Jane K. Aldea
Hi:
Thank you for the response.
I am using version 2.6.15 I downloaded from gnucash website, but have not
done any updates.
I am using Windows 10 on a PC, not a mobile version. Gnucash closes when I
hit the final step of the csv import, and then I get an error message about
the file being in use when I re-open.
I have gotten it to work once or twice, but not consistently, so I am
confident it is user error. I was just hoping for some step-by-step
instructions so I can get it to work consistently.
Thank you

Best Regards,
Jane Knichel Aldea
201-725-3507

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:18 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   I am no longer able to download one of my credit card statements in QFX
>>    format, but every time I try to import a csv file, the system crashes.
>>    Where can I find proper instructions on how to get the csv  import to
>>    work?

>>    Jane Knichel Aldea

>>    Sent from [1]Mail for Windows 10
>>
>> References
>>
>>    1. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
>>

> Greetings!
>
> I assume based upon the footer of your message you're using GnuCash on
> Windows.
>
> What version of GnuCash are you using? Where did you get it? The best way
> is to follow the download links from http://gnucash.org/  (There are some
> "derivative" versions such as the "Portable Apps" versions, so if you're
> using those it might be an important distinction.) The current stable
> released version is 3.8.
>
> What do you mean by "the system crashes"? Do you see an error message?
> Does your screen turn a lovely shade of blue? (Hopefully I'm being silly
> there; I don't run Windows so I don't know if recent versions ever crash
> and make a "blue screen" anymore.)
>
> As noted below, please copy your response to the list so folks who know
> more than I

Re: [GNC] csv File downloads

David Cousens
Jane,

It may be possible this is a bug with this version of GnuCash.

I would suggest you first upgrade to GnuCash V2.6.21 using the link to the
Old Stable Release on the website Download page
https://www.gnucash.org/download.phtml.  I don't think there were any file
format changes going to V3 but there were some changes in the storage
locations of configuration data, particularly stored reports. If you open
your GnuCash files with this version and then close them again this should
prepare them for any location chnages late in the 2.6 series prior to
upgrade to V3.

The CSV importer was largely rewritten going to V3 and is much more reliable
so I would suggest upgrading to the latest stable version 3.8 after
downloading the executable for it from the main link on the download page.

When you open your data file in v3.8 GnuCash should automatcally run a
configuration routine to migrate your user preferences and stored reports to
the locations used in v3.x
(https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations) . The information
there is a little bit complex but you will find some links to diagrams which
illustrate the changes. If you don't have any saved reports there shouldn't
be any need to do anything else. If you did have previous saved reports
these should be in a file saved-reports-2.4. and a new file
saved-reports-2.8 should have been created in the new locations for V3. If
your saved reports do not open in v3.8 rename the saved-reports-2.4 to
saved-reports-2.8 and they should then be restored. if you have any problems
come back to the list.

Re: [GNC] csv File downloads

Jane,

The CSV transaction importer in various 2.6 releases of GnuCash is very
touchy,  particularly regarding the date format, and it does not remember
the settings that you used last time.

Be very careful to change the date format to the correct setting for your
data every time and then it should work.  It is normal after a crash to get
that already open error, just select open anyway unless there is a chance
that it really is open somewhere else.

If 2.6.15 is working fine otherwise for you, you do not need to update into
3.8 right now.  I am still holding off myself from updating.

David Carlson

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, 2:22 AM Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
> Thank you for the response.
> I am using version 2.6.15 I downloaded from gnucash website, but have not
> done any updates.
> I am using Windows 10 on a PC, not a mobile version. Gnucash closes when I
> hit the final step of the csv import, and then I get an error message about
> the file being in use when I re-open.
> I have gotten it to work once or twice, but not consistently, so I am
> confident it is user error. I was just hoping for some step-by-step
> instructions so I can get it to work consistently.
> Thank you
>
> Best Regards,
> Jane Knichel Aldea
> 201-725-3507
>

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:18 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>   I am no longer able to download one of my credit card statements in
> QFX
> >>    format, but every time I try to import a csv file, the system
> crashes.
> >>    Where can I find proper instructions on how to get the csv  import to
> >>    work?

> >>    Jane Knichel Aldea

> >>    Sent from [1]Mail for Windows 10
> >>
> >> References
> >>
> >>    1. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
> >>

> > Greetings!
> >
> > I assume based upon the footer of your message you're using GnuCash on
> > Windows.
> >
> > What version of GnuCash are you using? Where did you get it? The best way
> > is to follow the download links from http://gnucash.org/  (There are
> some
> > "derivative" versions such as the "Portable Apps" versions, so if you're
> > using those it might be an important distinction.) The current stable
> > released version is 3.8.
> >
> > What do you mean by "the system crashes"? Do you see an error message?
> > Does your screen turn a lovely shade of blue? (Hopefully I'm being silly
> > there; I don't run Windows so I don't know if recent versions ever crash
> > and make a "blue screen" anymore.)
> >
> > As noted below, please copy your response to the list so folks who know
> > more than I
> >

> >> -----

Re: [GNC] csv File downloads

Jane K. Aldea
Thank you for the clarification. I have successfully imported a csv file! I
will make note of your comment regarding the date format so it works next
time as well.
Thank you again.

Regards,
Jane Knichel-Aldea