[GNC] budget hierarchy not same as account hierarchy

[GNC] budget hierarchy not same as account hierarchy

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi.
I want to create a new budget but the budget hierarchy is not the same as my account hierarchy.  How do I correct this? Is there a way to refresh the budget hierarchy so tat it matches the account hierarchy?
Thanks
Dave

Re: [GNC] budget hierarchy not same as account hierarchy

Adrien Monteleone-2
Dave,

If you go to Actions > Budget > New Budget it should create a new budget input window for you with all parent accounts collapsed. But expanding them all should show the same hierarchy as your CoA tab. I don’t think there is any way to even exclude an account from this window. (much less add an account) The Budget Report on the other hand, can be customized to include only the accounts you want.

Note, I just tested this with version 3.3. If you are using some other version, perhaps there is a bug there. (I also used the budget with versions 2.16.12 or so through present, but I didn’t always create new budgets with each. I’m pretty sure 2.6.15 and 2.6.19 worked fine)

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 6:53 PM, David and Tracy Erickson via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
> I want to create a new budget but the budget hierarchy is not the same as my account hierarchy.  How do I correct this? Is there a way to refresh the budget hierarchy so tat it matches the account hierarchy?
> Thanks
> Dave

Re: [GNC] budget hierarchy not same as account hierarchy

GnuCash - User mailing list
Thanks.  I'm using vers 3.3 on Win 10

For some reason when creating or revising a budget not all the accounts automatically appear.  But what I did discover is that if I put one transaction in the account (like one cent)....then that account does suddenly appear in the new budget which I want to create.  For some reason the accounts with zero in them don't appear in the budget hierarchy.

So...I've found out how to do it by creating a false expense / income in the accounts I need to appear in the budget.

Thanks!

Dave

If you go to Actions > Budget > New Budget it should create a new budget input window for you with all parent accounts collapsed. But expanding them all should show the same hierarchy as your CoA tab. I don’t think there is any way to even exclude an account from this window. (much less add an account) The Budget Report on the other hand, can be customized to include only the accounts you want.

Note, I just tested this with version 3.3. If you are using some other version, perhaps there is a bug there. (I also used the budget with versions 2.16.12 or so through present, but I didn’t always create new budgets with each. I’m pretty sure 2.6.15 and 2.6.19 worked fine)

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 6:53 PM, David and Tracy Erickson via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
> I want to create a new budget but the budget hierarchy is not the same as my account hierarchy.  How do I correct this? Is there a way to refresh the budget hierarchy so tat it matches the account hierarchy?
> Thanks
> Dave

Re: [GNC] budget hierarchy not same as account hierarchy

Adrien Monteleone-2
Interesting. Glad you found a workaround. But that sounds like a bug. Please report it. (note, I don’t see a similar bug already on Bugzilla)

I can confirm this behavior. As well, if you delete the workaround transaction before creating the budget, the account won’t show up. So it isn’t just a matter of creating an initial transaction, there has to be a transaction in the account for it to appear in the new budget. (presumably, you can *then* delete that workaround transaction)

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 8:11 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks.  I'm using vers 3.3 on Win 10
>
> For some reason when creating or revising a budget not all the accounts automatically appear.  But what I did discover is that if I put one transaction in the account (like one cent)....then that account does suddenly appear in the new budget which I want to create.  For some reason the accounts with zero in them don't appear in the budget hierarchy.
>
> So...I've found out how to do it by creating a false expense / income in the accounts I need to appear in the budget.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

Jim Passmore
Still may be a bug worth noting, but maybe this suggestion from a thread
earlier this year [
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2018-July/078469.html ]
will help?

--