[GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Michael Matz
I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2.  macOs 10.13.5

(I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set of
features I use.)

When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the description
column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
suggestion is not updated or replaced.

For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food".  If I then type
"a" then the description becomes "Faood".  Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
 This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".

The same thing happens in the Transfer column

Anybody else having this problem?

I've switched back to 3.0 for now.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

GnuCash - User mailing list
I just upgraded to 3.2 as well, but on Windows 7 (and was previously on
2.6.18).  I have the same issue with autocomplete in the Description,
Transfer, and Notes fields.  In the Transfer field, this problem breaks
the ability to type in shortcuts (e.g., "ex" ":" "f" ":" "g" to bring up
"Expenses:Food:Groceries").

In 2.6.18, I used to be able to use a keyboard shortcut (I think it was
Ctrl + up arrow or down arrow) to surface the account list while in the
Transfer field (sometimes this was faster than typing in the shortcuts),
but this isn't working in 3.2 either.

Lastly, my Windows IME worked flawlessly in 2.6.18 to type normal
Western characters while in Japanese language mode set for half-width
alphanumeric, but in 3.2 it ends up inputting half-width katakana
(despite being set to half-width alpha) and I have to manually change
the input language to English while working in Gnucash.

> I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2.  macOs 10.13.5
>
> (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set of
> features I use.)
>
> When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the description
> column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
> suggestion is not updated or replaced.
>
> For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food".  If I then type
> "a" then the description becomes "Faood".  Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
>   This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
> results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
>
> The same thing happens in the Transfer column
>
> Anybody else having this problem?
>
> I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

deane.yamane
I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait till the ‘dust clears’ :(
On Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 AM -1000, Michael Matz <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. macOs 10.13.5
>
> (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set of
> features I use.)
>
> When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the description
> column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
> suggestion is not updated or replaced.
>
> For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food". If I then type
> "a" then the description becomes "Faood". Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
> This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
> results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
>
> The same thing happens in the Transfer column
>
> Anybody else having this problem?
>
> I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Roger Miskowicz
Seems to work okay in GC3.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 10:46 PM Deane Yamane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some
> nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait
> till the ‘dust clears’ :(
> On Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 AM -1000, Michael Matz <[hidden email]>,
> wrote:
> > I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. macOs 10.13.5
> >
> > (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set
> of
> > features I use.)
> >
> > When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the
> description
> > column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
> > suggestion is not updated or replaced.
> >
> > For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food". If I then type
> > "a" then the description becomes "Faood". Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
> > This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
> > results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
> >
> > The same thing happens in the Transfer column
> >
> > Anybody else having this problem?
> >
> > I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

I am new to GnuCash, but I can confirm that autocomplete doesn’t work well on Mac OS. I would expect that typing “foo” would match “Expenses:Food” but it doesn’t match anything unless you type the whole string “expenses:foo” which rather defeats the purpose.

Nike

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 7:45 PM, Deane Yamane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait till the ‘dust clears’ :(
>> On Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 AM -1000, Michael Matz <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. macOs 10.13.5
>>
>> (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set of
>> features I use.)
>>
>> When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the description
>> column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
>> suggestion is not updated or replaced.
>>
>> For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food". If I then type
>> "a" then the description becomes "Faood". Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
>> This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
>> results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
>>
>> The same thing happens in the Transfer column
>>
>> Anybody else having this problem?
>>
>> I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Geert Janssens-4
Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 05:30:15 CEST schreef V. Vatsal via gnucash-user:
> I am new to GnuCash, but I can confirm that autocomplete doesn’t work well
> on Mac OS. I would expect that typing “foo” would match “Expenses:Food” but
> it doesn’t match anything unless you type the whole string “expenses:foo”
> which rather defeats the purpose.
>
> Nike

you should be able to type "ex:fo" to get expenses:food. That is gnucash
expands each component of the path individually. If that doesn't work you have
indeed found a bug.

A bit of background on why we are in this situation: we were forced to
completely overhaul the register code for 3.x due to the "mandatory" upgrade
to gtk3 fairly late in the 3.x development cycle. I wish we had had more time.
So the register code does indeed still have some rough edges which we're
trying to clean out as they are reported.

Please bear with us and by all means continue to report the issues you
experience so we can make the next releases better again!

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Thomas Forrester
Is it possible to revert to 2.x?  That is, were there any database changes
that would preclude going back?  Personally, 2.x was working perfectly for
me, but I would like to stay current.  That said, the removal of theming
from Windows is almost enough to make me want to go back till someone works
out that feature.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 9:47 PM Deane Yamane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some
> nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait
> till the ‘dust clears’ :(
> On Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 AM -1000, Michael Matz <[hidden email]>,
> wrote:
> > I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. macOs 10.13.5
> >
> > (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set
> of
> > features I use.)
> >
> > When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the
> description
> > column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
> > suggestion is not updated or replaced.
> >
> > For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food". If I then type
> > "a" then the description becomes "Faood". Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
> > This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
> > results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
> >
> > The same thing happens in the Transfer column
> >
> > Anybody else having this problem?
> >
> > I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Thanks for this clarification. It works the way you say.

For what it’s worth, there are a number of small bugs in the Mac OS file handling and UI in 3.2.

Eg, if you move or delete a the primary gnucash file, and click on a different one, gnucash seems to get confused.

Nike

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 12:45 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 05:30:15 CEST schreef V. Vatsal via gnucash-user:
>> I am new to GnuCash, but I can confirm that autocomplete doesn’t work well
>> on Mac OS. I would expect that typing “foo” would match “Expenses:Food” but
>> it doesn’t match anything unless you type the whole string “expenses:foo”
>> which rather defeats the purpose.
>>
>> Nike
>
> you should be able to type "ex:fo" to get expenses:food. That is gnucash
> expands each component of the path individually. If that doesn't work you have
> indeed found a bug.
>
> A bit of background on why we are in this situation: we were forced to
> completely overhaul the register code for 3.x due to the "mandatory" upgrade
> to gtk3 fairly late in the 3.x development cycle. I wish we had had more time.
> So the register code does indeed still have some rough edges which we're
> trying to clean out as they are reported.
>
> Please bear with us and by all means continue to report the issues you
> experience so we can make the next releases better again!
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Colin Law
On 4 July 2018 at 14:37, V. Vatsal via gnucash-user
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for this clarification. It works the way you say.
>
> For what it’s worth, there are a number of small bugs in the Mac OS file handling and UI in 3.2.
>
> Eg, if you move or delete a the primary gnucash file, and click on a different one, gnucash seems to get confused.

You cannot use that method of opening an accounts file on a Mac, and
never have been able to.  You have to use File > Open (after ignoring
the error from attempting to open a non-existent file).

Colin

Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 13:40:44 CEST schreef Thomas Forrester:
> Is it possible to revert to 2.x?  That is, were there any database changes
> that would preclude going back?  Personally, 2.x was working perfectly for
> me, but I would like to stay current.  That said, the removal of theming
> from Windows is almost enough to make me want to go back till someone works
> out that feature.

GnuCash 2.6.21 should be able to work with files/databases manipulated with
gnucash 3.x. This hasn't had that much real world testing so there may be bugs
:(

The best option is to test this first with a backup of your database.

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 9:47 PM Deane Yamane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some
> > nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait
> > till the ‘dust clears’ :(
> > On Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 AM -1000, Michael Matz <[hidden email]>,
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. macOs 10.13.5
> > >
> > > (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set
> >
> > of
> >
> > > features I use.)
> > >
> > > When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the
> >
> > description
> >
> > > column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
> > > suggestion is not updated or replaced.
> > >
> > > For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food". If I then
> > > type
> > > "a" then the description becomes "Faood". Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
> > > This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
> > > results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
> > >
> > > The same thing happens in the Transfer column
> > >
> > > Anybody else having this problem?
> > >
> > > I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >
> > > -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

This problem has been reported in the bug tracker as https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796734.

For a workaround one can rename or remove Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules.cache. Note that that will break the use of input modules so one will no longer be able to work in Asian languages that require input modules.

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 8:30 PM, V. Vatsal via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am new to GnuCash, but I can confirm that autocomplete doesn’t work well on Mac OS. I would expect that typing “foo” would match “Expenses:Food” but it doesn’t match anything unless you type the whole string “expenses:foo” which rather defeats the purpose.
>
> Nike
>
>> On Jul 3, 2018, at 7:45 PM, Deane Yamane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait till the ‘dust clears’ :(
>>> On Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 AM -1000, Michael Matz <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>> I just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. macOs 10.13.5
>>>
>>> (I skipped 3.1 because 3.0 has worked well for me, with the limited set of
>>> features I use.)
>>>
>>> When I enter a new transaction, I type the first letter in the description
>>> column and GnuCash makes a suggestion but if I continue typing the
>>> suggestion is not updated or replaced.
>>>
>>> For example, if I type "F" the description becomes "Food". If I then type
>>> "a" then the description becomes "Faood". Or typing "Fo" becomes "Foood"
>>> This worked as expected in 3.0 and previous versions, i.e. typing "Fa"
>>> results in "Fa" (no suggestion) and typing "Fo" result in "Food".
>>>
>>> The same thing happens in the Transfer column
>>>
>>> Anybody else having this problem?
>>>
>>> I've switched back to 3.0 for now.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michael

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Alun Champion-2
I can confirm 3.2 has issues with completion on MacOS.
When typing in the register description the first letter completes but the
next letter inserts vs replaces the proposed completion, so if you intended
`commute`, `c` would complete to `car` and the next key would end up with
`coar`, which isn't the intended behaviour.

Also I've had an issue occur multiple times where it would start not
accepting any normal keyboard input in any field of the register, and need
to restart the application. (Note: cut and paste still works).

Regards
   -Alun.

On 4 July 2018 at 18:45, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This problem has been reported in the bug tracker as
> https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796734.
>
> For a workaround one can rename or remove Gnucash.app/Contents/
> Resources/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules.cache. Note that that will break
> the use of input modules so one will no longer be able to work in Asian
> languages that require input modules.

> > On Jul 3, 2018, at 8:30 PM, V. Vatsal via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am new to GnuCash, but I can confirm that autocomplete doesn’t work
> well on Mac OS. I would expect that typing “foo” would match
> “Expenses:Food” but it doesn’t match anything unless you type the whole
> string “expenses:foo” which rather defeats the purpose.
> >
> > Nike
> >
> >> On Jul 3, 2018, at 7:45 PM, Deane Yamane <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have the same problems. IMHO V3.x has been buggy from the start. Some
> nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait
> till the ‘dust clears’ :(

> set of

> description

> type
> "Foood"

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> -----

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

Irving Duran
+1

Thank You,

Irving Duran

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:09 AM Alun Champion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can confirm 3.2 has issues with completion on MacOS.
> When typing in the register description the first letter completes but the
> next letter inserts vs replaces the proposed completion, so if you intended
> `commute`, `c` would complete to `car` and the next key would end up with
> `coar`, which isn't the intended behaviour.
>
> Also I've had an issue occur multiple times where it would start not
> accepting any normal keyboard input in any field of the register, and need
> to restart the application. (Note: cut and paste still works).
>
> Regards
>    -Alun.
>

> On 4 July 2018 at 18:45, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This problem has been reported in the bug tracker as
> > https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796734.
> >
> > For a workaround one can rename or remove Gnucash.app/Contents/
> > Resources/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules.cache. Note that that will break
> > the use of input modules so one will no longer be able to work in Asian
> > languages that require input modules.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Jul 3, 2018, at 8:30 PM, V. Vatsal via gnucash-user <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am new to GnuCash, but I can confirm that autocomplete doesn’t work
> > well on Mac OS. I would expect that typing “foo” would match
> > “Expenses:Food” but it doesn’t match anything unless you type the whole
> > string “expenses:foo” which rather defeats the purpose.
> > >
> > > Nike

> Some
> > nice features but not worth it. I think I’ll revert to 2.26(?) and wait
> > till the ‘dust clears’ :(
> >,

> > set of

> > description

> > type
> > "Foood"
> "Fa"

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

John Ralls, I can confirm that renaming the file reverts Gnucash to "normal"
autofill behaviour.

What is this file for and should I need it for anything assuming I am
working in the English language only?

Geoff

Re: [GNC] autocomplete not working in 3.2

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 8:34 AM, GeoffatMM via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John Ralls, I can confirm that renaming the file reverts Gnucash to "normal"
> autofill behaviour.
>
> What is this file for and should I need it for anything assuming I am
> working in the English language only?

It's about input methods, which are used for languages that have more symbols than will fit on a reasonable keyboard. It's of no use to someone using only English.

Op dinsdag 7 augustus 2018 18:16:18 CEST schreef John Ralls:

> > On Aug 7, 2018, at 8:34 AM, GeoffatMM via gnucash-user
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > John Ralls, I can confirm that renaming the file reverts Gnucash to
> > "normal" autofill behaviour.
> >
> > What is this file for and should I need it for anything assuming I am
> > working in the English language only?
>
> It's about input methods, which are used for languages that have more
> symbols than will fit on a reasonable keyboard. It's of no use to someone
> using only English.

Of no use is a bit strong :)

An input method can also help as a typing assistant for people not that used
to typing on a keyboard (much like phones and tablets offer suggestions while
typing).

But in general this is not yet common use on computers.