[GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Peter Münster
Hi,

For a special report of type "Profit & Loss" I need to apply some
coefficients to some accounts. For example 0.7 to the account
"transport". Is this possible with Gnucash, and if yes: how please?

Thanks in advance for any hints. Kind regards,
--
           Peter

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

John Ralls

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 5:28 AM, Peter Münster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> For a special report of type "Profit & Loss" I need to apply some
> coefficients to some accounts. For example 0.7 to the account
> "transport". Is this possible with Gnucash, and if yes: how please?
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints. Kind regards,

Probably not from the GUI, but you haven't explained very well. Apply the coefficients how and with what intended result?

Failing there being a report that gets you close enough to what you need you can customize the P&L report: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports

On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:

> Apply the coefficients how and with what intended result?

It's just a multiplication. If there is for example 1000€ in an account
and 0.7 must be applied, then there must be 700€ instead of 1000€ in
the report. Our kayak club has a contract with a public organisation,
and we must deliver a report, that shows only a part of the whole
accounting of the club, only the part that concerns the contract. So for
example 75% of the salary, because the employee spends 25% of his time
with tasks, that are not connected to the contract.

> Failing there being a report that gets you close enough to what you need you
> can customize the P&L report: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports

Ok. So I need to learn Scheme, Guile and so on? Or can I hire somebody
here on the list, who could do that for me? That would be nice.

Kind regards,
--
           Peter

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Derek Atkins-3
I would recommend you run the existing P&L report, then take the output,
copy it into a spreadsheet, and then add your coefficients there.

-derek

On Tue, March 5, 2019 10:21 am, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> Apply the coefficients how and with what intended result?
>
> It's just a multiplication. If there is for example 1000€ in an account
> and 0.7 must be applied, then there must be 700€ instead of 1000€ in
> the report. Our kayak club has a contract with a public organisation,
> and we must deliver a report, that shows only a part of the whole
> accounting of the club, only the part that concerns the contract. So for
> example 75% of the salary, because the employee spends 25% of his time
> with tasks, that are not connected to the contract.
>

>> Failing there being a report that gets you close enough to what you need
>> you
>> can customize the P&L report:
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports
>
> Ok. So I need to learn Scheme, Guile and so on? Or can I hire somebody
> here on the list, who could do that for me? That would be nice.
>
> Kind regards,
> --
>            Peter

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 7:21 AM, Peter Münster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> Apply the coefficients how and with what intended result?
>
> It's just a multiplication. If there is for example 1000€ in an account
> and 0.7 must be applied, then there must be 700€ instead of 1000€ in
> the report. Our kayak club has a contract with a public organisation,
> and we must deliver a report, that shows only a part of the whole
> accounting of the club, only the part that concerns the contract. So for
> example 75% of the salary, because the employee spends 25% of his time
> with tasks, that are not connected to the contract.
>

>> Failing there being a report that gets you close enough to what you need you
>> can customize the P&L report: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports
>
> Ok. So I need to learn Scheme, Guile and so on? Or can I hire somebody
> here on the list, who could do that for me? That would be nice.

Not necessarily. You could just create two payroll expense accounts, one chargeable and one not-chargeable and split the payroll expense between the two. Then you can run the P&L report with only the chargeable account selected.

Better still, have the employee keep a time sheet recording the time spent on each task and the bookkeeper can assign the expense to chargeable or not-chargeable depending on the actual time spent. That extends to other expenses as well.

But using a P&L report for billing is weird. More normally you'd negotiate a billing rate for the employee's time and for whatever other expenses you incur and use the business features to generate invoices to the funding organization.

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Stephen M. Butler
On 3/5/19 7:07 AM, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Mar 5, 2019, at 5:28 AM, Peter Münster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For a special report of type "Profit & Loss" I need to apply some
>> coefficients to some accounts. For example 0.7 to the account
>> "transport". Is this possible with Gnucash, and if yes: how please?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any hints. Kind regards,
> Probably not from the GUI, but you haven't explained very well. Apply the coefficients how and with what intended result?
>
> Failing there being a report that gets you close enough to what you need you can customize the P&L report: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports

Could those accounts be treated similar to stock?  Or another currency?
You would have to enter a price entry in order for GnC to convert them
to the report "currency".

--Steve

PS.  I presume this is a mileage expense factor and Transport holds the
number of mile?

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On Tue, Mar 05 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I would recommend you run the existing P&L report, then take the output,
> copy it into a spreadsheet, and then add your coefficients there.

That would be my last resort. Just to show you, that this would be some
work:
- http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/gnucash-example.html is the output
- I would need to apply 50% to "équipement nautique" for example
- 70% to "salarié" for example
- then I need to adjust the "Total Dépenses" and the "Total Revenus"

Some automatic method would be preferable...

--
           Peter

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Peter Münster
On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:

> You could just create two payroll expense accounts, one chargeable and
> one not-chargeable and split the payroll expense between the two.

The payroll expenses come from OFX files from the bank. After importing,
how can I split 30% into one account and 70% into another?

> Then you can run the P&L report with only the chargeable account
> selected.

Yes. If it's possible to do such splitting, then it will be ok.

> Better still, have the employee keep a time sheet recording the time spent on
> each task

No, not an option in our case. Anyway, the 70% split is fixed in the contract.

> and the bookkeeper can assign the expense to chargeable or
> not-chargeable depending on the actual time spent.

The bookkeeper, it's me... ;)

> But using a P&L report for billing is weird.

No, it's not for billing. It's just for showing the results of the
bookkeeping to the public organisation.

Kind regards,

On Tue, Mar 05 2019, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> Could those accounts be treated similar to stock?  Or another
> currency?

I guess no. There are just 2 type of accounts: income in EUR and expense
in EUR. All is imported from the OFX file of the checking account. Here
is the result: http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/gnucash-example.html

> You would have to enter a price entry in order for GnC to convert them
> to the report "currency".

It sounds like a possible option, kind of work-around.

> PS.  I presume this is a mileage expense factor and Transport holds the
> number of mile?

No, it's all in EUR. Transport is just an example.

--
           Peter

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 10:21 AM, Peter Münster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ou could just create two payroll expense accounts, one chargeable and
>> one not-chargeable and split the payroll expense between the two.
>
> The payroll expenses come from OFX files from the bank. After importing,
> how can I split 30% into one account and 70% into another?

Just edit the transaction and add a split. You can type '.3*123.45' and '.7*123.45' in the expense debit column, no need to get out your calculator.

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Peter Münster
On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:

> Just edit the transaction and add a split. You can type '.3*123.45' and
> '.7*123.45' in the expense debit column, no need to get out your calculator.

Sure. But how can I split *all* transactions of an account the same way?
The only way, that I know, is to split the transactions manually one by one.

--
           Peter

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

John Ralls

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 12:10 PM, Peter Münster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> Just edit the transaction and add a split. You can type '.3*123.45' and
>> '.7*123.45' in the expense debit column, no need to get out your calculator.
>
> Sure. But how can I split *all* transactions of an account the same way?
> The only way, that I know, is to split the transactions manually one by one.

Unfortunately for that you're back to programming, though you can choose Python or C as well as Scheme.

On 3/5/19 10:29 AM, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 05 2019, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>
>> Could those accounts be treated similar to stock?  Or another
>> currency?
> I guess no. There are just 2 type of accounts: income in EUR and expense
> in EUR. All is imported from the OFX file of the checking account. Here
> is the result: http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/gnucash-example.html
>

>> You would have to enter a price entry in order for GnC to convert them
>> to the report "currency".
> It sounds like a possible option, kind of work-around.

After reading your other emails, this weird work-around probably isn't
an option.

>> PS.  I presume this is a mileage expense factor and Transport holds the
>> number of mile?
> No, it's all in EUR. Transport is just an example.

Shucks!

Oh, are you using a Sqlite data store?  If so, you might be able to
write a query to pull those accounts and apply the percentages.  You
could load the account names and percentages into a new table and drive
the query from there.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

elvis-5
Hi Peter,

I have a program in python to add a split like that to a qif file.

I had it written to add Australian GST to my transactions after years of
splitting them manually.

So I download my bank file, run the program, then import with all the
splits added.

You might need to alter it to suit your split values,

if you are interested let me know.

Lawrence

On 6/3/19 6:10 am, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> Just edit the transaction and add a split. You can type '.3*123.45' and
>> '.7*123.45' in the expense debit column, no need to get out your calculator.
> Sure. But how can I split *all* transactions of an account the same way?
> The only way, that I know, is to split the transactions manually one by one.

--
Treat her like a lady and she'll always bring you home.

Liz

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Liz
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 17:23:23 +1000
elvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I have a program in python to add a split like that to a qif file.
>
> I had it written to add Australian GST to my transactions after years
> of splitting them manually.
>

> So I download my bank file, run the program, then import with all the
> splits added.
>

> You might need to alter it to suit your split values,
>

> if you are interested let me know.
>

> Lawrence

I was thinking that this is identical to the problem I face when I
have to split the vehicle costs between business and personal in a
fixed ratio.
Then I have to split the GST as well.

Liz

Re: [GNC] apply coefficient to an account

Peter Münster
On Tue, Mar 05 2019, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> Oh, are you using a Sqlite data store?  If so, you might be able to
> write a query to pull those accounts and apply the percentages.  You
> could load the account names and percentages into a new table and drive
> the query from there.

Thanks, good idea!

On Wed, Mar 06 2019, elvis wrote:

> I have a program in python to add a split like that to a qif file.
> [...]
> if you are interested let me know.

Thanks. But for my usage, it won't work: the split must be done later
after importing the bank-files.

--
           Peter