[GNC] Windows strawberry perl and online prices

[GNC] Windows strawberry perl and online prices

ticotexas
Has anyone using gnucash on windows had online prices stop working? For me
the strawberry perl window opens and never finishes after hours of waiting.
I eventually have to close the window and give up. I've tried
un/reinstalling gnucash and perl. I've tried 3.1 and 3.2 and 2.6. I've
double-checked my alphavantage key is correct. Any suggestions?

Re: [GNC] Windows strawberry perl and online prices

David Carlson-4
There has been some discussion in this list recently suggesting that
especially when changing between releases from the 2..6 series and 3.0, 3.1
or 3.2, one should uninstall the previous version manually.  In Windows,
the Control Panel uninstall feature should work.  If you did not do that
you may need to manually delete some files before installing a new
version.  I am not sure where to look for detailed instructions.

I think 3.2 or 2.6.21 are the preferred releases, depending on which works
better for you.

David C

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone using gnucash on windows had online prices stop working? For me
> the strawberry perl window opens and never finishes after hours of waiting.
> I eventually have to close the window and give up. I've tried
> un/reinstalling gnucash and perl. I've tried 3.1 and 3.2 and 2.6. I've
> double-checked my alphavantage key is correct. Any suggestions?

Re: [GNC] Windows strawberry perl and online prices

ticotexas
​I actually did uninstall strawberry perl and the leftover strawberry
folder when I went to 3.2, and when I went back to 2.6. It didn't make a
difference.​

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> There has been some discussion in this list recently suggesting that
> especially when changing between releases from the 2..6 series and 3.0, 3.1
> or 3.2, one should uninstall the previous version manually.  In Windows,
> the Control Panel uninstall feature should work.  If you did not do that
> you may need to manually delete some files before installing a new
> version.  I am not sure where to look for detailed instructions.
>
> I think 3.2 or 2.6.21 are the preferred releases, depending on which works
> better for you.
>
> David C
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone using gnucash on windows had online prices stop working? For me
>> the strawberry perl window opens and never finishes after hours of
>> waiting.
>> I eventually have to close the window and give up. I've tried
>> un/reinstalling gnucash and perl. I've tried 3.1 and 3.2 and 2.6. I've
>> double-checked my alphavantage key is correct. Any suggestions?

Re: [GNC] Windows strawberry perl and online prices

David Carlson-4
Actually, I have a very similar problem which I have not had time to track
down yet.  I think that it is somewhere in the Finance:Quote configuration,
but I am not sure.

David C

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​I actually did uninstall strawberry perl and the leftover strawberry
> folder when I went to 3.2, and when I went back to 2.6. It didn't make a
> difference.​
>

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM, David Carlson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There has been some discussion in this list recently suggesting that
>> especially when changing between releases from the 2..6 series and 3.0, 3.1
>> or 3.2, one should uninstall the previous version manually.  In Windows,
>> the Control Panel uninstall feature should work.  If you did not do that
>> you may need to manually delete some files before installing a new
>> version.  I am not sure where to look for detailed instructions.
>>
>> I think 3.2 or 2.6.21 are the preferred releases, depending on which
>> works better for you.
>>
>> David C
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Tim Kallmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone using gnucash on windows had online prices stop working? For
>>> me
>>> the strawberry perl window opens and never finishes after hours of
>>> waiting.
>>> I eventually have to close the window and give up. I've tried
>>> un/reinstalling gnucash and perl. I've tried 3.1 and 3.2 and 2.6. I've
>>> double-checked my alphavantage key is correct. Any suggestions?
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

[GNC] Installing F::Q on Ubuntu

ticotexas
I have switched to a linux laptop since the price quotes stopped working on
my windows 10 one. (I had it working at one time.)

But I am currently not able to get price quotes in the linux version of
gnucash either. I get the error, Unable to retrieve quotes for these items,
then a list of all my securities.

Here's what I did to install F::Q. Am I missing something?

cpan
install Finance::Quote
quit
edited /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/AlphaVantage.pm
entered my key between the quotes in the line that previously read,
my $ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY = $ENV{'ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY'};
sudo chmod 666 /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote/AlphaVantage.pm
sudo chmod 666 /usr/share/perl5/Finance/Quote.pm

restarted

Re: [GNC] Installing F::Q on Ubuntu

GnuCash - User mailing list
Tim,

Numerous people have reported troubles using AlphaVantage to retrieve quotes recently, with several noting that the site appears to be unreliable (perhaps purposefully so).

You don’t mention your GnuCash version; on GC3.2, there is supposedly a user preference slot for the AlphaVantage API key (I haven’t upgraded my own system from 2.6.21). In earlier versions, you are instructed to place your API key in an environment file (cf. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F> for guidance). At no point is it necessary to edit the source PM files.

Cheers,
David T.