[GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

[GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

Larry Long
I have two general questions.

   - How well supported is GnuCash on the Ubuntu OS?
   - How transportable would the GnuCash DB be between a computer running Ubuntu and another one that is running Windows 10?
I am currently using GnuCash v3.4 on a Windows 10 computer at home.  However, I recently purchased a small notebook that came with Windows 10, but that I am considering reworking to Ubuntu.  I would like to take the small notebook with me on trips and have my GnuCash file available for access.
If I interpret this webpage correctly, it appears that a GnuCash v3.3 edition is supported on Ubuntu Cosmic (18.10) https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucash
I realize that having both PCs on Windows 10 would eliminate potential transport issues.  However, the SSD storage (non-upgradeable) on the notebook is only 30GB, which Windows eats for lunch.
Another possible option I've thought of is reserving the builtin SSD for Windows OS and attempting to use a 128GB SD card for installation and running of all applications (such as GnuCash, LibreOffice, etc.).
Thank you for suggestions and recommendations.
Larry

Re: [GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

Stephen M. Butler
I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop.  (Dell XPS-13).  My wife runs
Windows 10 on her Asus EeePC 1201N.  We move the GnC data files
(multiple books) back and forth via a shared drive that sits on the main
home PC (also Windows 10).

When one wants to work on one set of the books, they grab the copy off
the shared drive and put it where GnC wants to find it.  Make the
changes and copy the file back to the shared drive.  So far, we both
haven't been updating at the same time!

On 1/18/19 12:34 PM, Larry Long wrote:

> I have two general questions.
>
>    - How well supported is GnuCash on the Ubuntu OS?
>    - How transportable would the GnuCash DB be between a computer running Ubuntu and another one that is running Windows 10?
> I am currently using GnuCash v3.4 on a Windows 10 computer at home.  However, I recently purchased a small notebook that came with Windows 10, but that I am considering reworking to Ubuntu.  I would like to take the small notebook with me on trips and have my GnuCash file available for access.
> If I interpret this webpage correctly, it appears that a GnuCash v3.3 edition is supported on Ubuntu Cosmic (18.10) https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucash
> I realize that having both PCs on Windows 10 would eliminate potential transport issues.  However, the SSD storage (non-upgradeable) on the notebook is only 30GB, which Windows eats for lunch.
> Another possible option I've thought of is reserving the builtin SSD for Windows OS and attempting to use a 128GB SD card for installation and running of all applications (such as GnuCash, LibreOffice, etc.).
> Thank you for suggestions and recommendations.
> Larry

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

#1 as well as any other platform I suppose. Recent reports show 3.4 (as well as 3.3) runs successfully on at least as far back as Bionic. (18.04) So you could opt for the LTS release if you like.

#2 as Stephen noted, you can easily pull files off a common drive with little to no issue. (just don’t have two people simultaneously try to access it)

Some people have a bit of success keeping their data file in the cloud via Dropbox or other service. I’ve seen some threads here on hiccups now and then, so if you want to go that route, best to do a list search for those topics to avoid any pitfalls.

A likely simple and relatively painless method would be a USB thumbdrive to swap between the machines.

> On Jan 18, 2019, at 2:34 PM, Larry Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have two general questions.
>
>   - How well supported is GnuCash on the Ubuntu OS?
>   - How transportable would the GnuCash DB be between a computer running Ubuntu and another one that is running Windows 10?
> I am currently using GnuCash v3.4 on a Windows 10 computer at home.  However, I recently purchased a small notebook that came with Windows 10, but that I am considering reworking to Ubuntu.  I would like to take the small notebook with me on trips and have my GnuCash file available for access.
> If I interpret this webpage correctly, it appears that a GnuCash v3.3 edition is supported on Ubuntu Cosmic (18.10) https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucash
> I realize that having both PCs on Windows 10 would eliminate potential transport issues.  However, the SSD storage (non-upgradeable) on the notebook is only 30GB, which Windows eats for lunch.
> Another possible option I've thought of is reserving the builtin SSD for Windows OS and attempting to use a 128GB SD card for installation and running of all applications (such as GnuCash, LibreOffice, etc.).
> Thank you for suggestions and recommendations.
> Larry

Re: [GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

Larry,

As Steve and Adrien hav pointed out v3.3 is supported by Ubuntu 18.10 i.e. available from the software centre and
Windows has downloads for 3.4 (and previous versions
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/).

If you want to stay right up to date buidling GnuCash on Ubuntu is not too difficult. I usually runmy own build the
current stable release as a production version and have the master and/or  maint branches of development version
available for testing (but never on my production data files only copies of them).

Another option for transporting files between computers on a local network is to install samba (network access to
Microsoft File system) on your ubuntu system and setup samba shares between your windows and ubuntu systems. Getting the
permissions sorted can be fun. There are plenty of tutorials/instructions online for Ubuntu systems. Once up and working
access can be pretty seamless.

I use a copy of my datafile in my Dropbox account for portability between computers and use cron jobs to maintain
separate backups on all my computers and an NAS. Need to be careful not to have it open from two machines at once  and
give it time to synchronize after closing the file on one machine and opening it on another (usually < 1min) but other
than that it is seamless.

David Cousens

On Fri, 2019-01-18 at 20:34 +0000, Larry Long wrote:

> I have two general questions.
>
>    - How well supported is GnuCash on the Ubuntu OS?
>    - How transportable would the GnuCash DB be between a computer running Ubuntu and another one that is running
> Windows 10?
> I am currently using GnuCash v3.4 on a Windows 10 computer at home.  However, I recently purchased a small notebook
> that came with Windows 10, but that I am considering reworking to Ubuntu.  I would like to take the small notebook
> with me on trips and have my GnuCash file available for access.
> If I interpret this webpage correctly, it appears that a GnuCash v3.3 edition is supported on Ubuntu Cosmic (18.10)
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucash
> I realize that having both PCs on Windows 10 would eliminate potential transport issues.  However, the SSD storage
> (non-upgradeable) on the notebook is only 30GB, which Windows eats for lunch.
> Another possible option I've thought of is reserving the builtin SSD for Windows OS and attempting to use a 128GB SD
> card for installation and running of all applications (such as GnuCash, LibreOffice, etc.).
> Thank you for suggestions and recommendations.
> Larry

Re: [GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

Long, L.K., SFC MIL SDF GA (US)
 Thank you, Stephen, Adrien and David, for your thoughtful and helpful responses!
Larry Long

    On Friday, January 18, 2019, 3:34:09 PM EST, Larry Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I have two general questions.

   - How well supported is GnuCash on the Ubuntu OS?
   - How transportable would the GnuCash DB be between a computer running Ubuntu and another one that is running Windows 10?