[GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

[GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

djza
Hi
I just installed 3.1-2 on a new Windows 10 machine with a SSD disk.  Data
files were copied across  from a Windows 7 machine where I was using an
older gnucash version (2.x, will need to boot that machine to check exactly
which version was used).
My issue is on the new machine my XML data files are incredible slow to
open or save - I have now been waiting for 20 minutes and it is not yet
done saving my data file (which is about 3 MB in size on disk).
On the old machine these operations were quick (using a HDD), so I am not
sure where to look on the Windows 10 installation.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Derick

Re: [GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

Maf. King
Hi Derick,

someone else reported crazy long save times on Win10 platforms earlier this
month - don't recall if there was a solution found, but have a hunt through
the archives for May and see if that thread offers any help.

HTH,
Maf.

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 08:52:06 BST Derick Jordaan wrote:

> Hi
> I just installed 3.1-2 on a new Windows 10 machine with a SSD disk.  Data
> files were copied across  from a Windows 7 machine where I was using an
> older gnucash version (2.x, will need to boot that machine to check exactly
> which version was used).
> My issue is on the new machine my XML data files are incredible slow to
> open or save - I have now been waiting for 20 minutes and it is not yet
> done saving my data file (which is about 3 MB in size on disk).
> On the old machine these operations were quick (using a HDD), so I am not
> sure where to look on the Windows 10 installation.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Derick
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542

Re: [GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

Geert Janssens-4
Op woensdag 30 mei 2018 10:12:37 CEST schreef Maf. King:
> Hi Derick,
>
> someone else reported crazy long save times on Win10 platforms earlier this
> month - don't recall if there was a solution found, but have a hunt through
> the archives for May and see if that thread offers any help.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

I believe there was mention of the load times slowing down when there are lots
of backup files in the same directory. Try moving older backups to a
subdirectory and let us know if that reduces the load times.

Re: [GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

djza
Thank you for the feedback, I did check the threads in the May archive,
also cleaned out the backup files (of which there were a lot), but the
improvement (if any) is only marginal.  I see there were some bug reports
relating to this, so I suspect I am also going to drop back to 2.6 and see
how that is, this is not workable as it stands.

On Wed, 30 May 2018 at 10:24, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Op woensdag 30 mei 2018 10:12:37 CEST schreef Maf. King:
> > Hi Derick,
> >
> > someone else reported crazy long save times on Win10 platforms earlier
> this
> > month - don't recall if there was a solution found, but have a hunt
> through
> > the archives for May and see if that thread offers any help.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Maf.
> >
> I believe there was mention of the load times slowing down when there are
> lots
> of backup files in the same directory. Try moving older backups to a
> subdirectory and let us know if that reduces the load times.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

Jamestk
djza wrote
> Thank you for the feedback, I did check the threads in the May archive,
> also cleaned out the backup files (of which there were a lot), but the
> improvement (if any) is only marginal.  I see there were some bug reports
> relating to this, so I suspect I am also going to drop back to 2.6 and see
> how that is, this is not workable as it stands.
>

> On Wed, 30 May 2018 at 10:24, Geert Janssens &lt;

> geert.gnucash@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> Op woensdag 30 mei 2018 10:12:37 CEST schreef Maf. King:
>> > Hi Derick,
>> >
>> > someone else reported crazy long save times on Win10 platforms earlier
>> this
>> > month - don't recall if there was a solution found, but have a hunt
>> through
>> > the archives for May and see if that thread offers any help.
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Maf.
>> >
>> I believe there was mention of the load times slowing down when there are
>> lots
>> of backup files in the same directory. Try moving older backups to a
>> subdirectory and let us know if that reduces the load times.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geert

Did you have any luck with this?

Recently upgraded to latest version but auto saving really problematic while
working, generally speaking it takes as long to load as saving relatively
small file.

Using Win 10 Pro with Samsung SSD

Going to switch off auto save for the moment to get things done.

Re: [GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

djza
I downgraded to 2.6 - could not resolve it on Windows 10 - deleting some
recovery files helped a little, but still a major problem - not usable in
my view.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 at 08:11, Jamestk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> djza wrote
> > Thank you for the feedback, I did check the threads in the May archive,
> > also cleaned out the backup files (of which there were a lot), but the
> > improvement (if any) is only marginal.  I see there were some bug reports
> > relating to this, so I suspect I am also going to drop back to 2.6 and
> see
> > how that is, this is not workable as it stands.
> >

> > On Wed, 30 May 2018 at 10:24, Geert Janssens &lt;
>
> > geert.gnucash@
>
> > &gt;
> > wrote:

> >> this
> >> through

> >> I believe there was mention of the load times slowing down when there
> are
> >> lots
> >> of backup files in the same directory. Try moving older backups to a
> >> subdirectory and let us know if that reduces the load times.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Geert

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>

> Did you have any luck with this?
>
> Recently upgraded to latest version but auto saving really problematic
> while
> working, generally speaking it takes as long to load as saving relatively
> small file.
>
> Using Win 10 Pro with Samsung SSD
>
> Going to switch off auto save for the moment to get things done.

Re: [GNC] Windows 10 installation very slow opening or saving file

Geert Janssens-4
Some people have reported saving took considerably less time when they made
the gnucash window as small as possible. This suggests gnucash is repeatedly
updating its window contents while saving.

Can you check if this makes a difference for you ?

Geert