[GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

[GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

Rich Shepard
Running Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on Slackware-14.2.

Preparing to send my account 2018 tax information and I've encountered a
problem: when I print an Account Report as a PDF the options do not allow me
to specify a date range, only the appearance of the report and which columns
to include.

To limit the report of, for example, mortgage interest payments in 2018
which report format should I apply?

TIA,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

Geert Janssens-4
Op dinsdag 12 februari 2019 17:05:41 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
> Running Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on Slackware-14.2.
>
> Preparing to send my account 2018 tax information and I've encountered a
> problem: when I print an Account Report as a PDF the options do not allow me
> to specify a date range, only the appearance of the report and which
> columns to include.
>
> To limit the report of, for example, mortgage interest payments in 2018
> which report format should I apply?

I think the easiest is to start from the account register in which the
transactions appear. Then apply a filter to this register and finally choose
Reports->Account Report. The report should honor the filter you have applied
to the register.

Re: [GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

Rich,

You have numerous options. If you’re going the Account Report method, first filter your account for the date range you want and then trigger the report. Otherwise, use the transaction report and select your account and date range there.

Of course, you could use the Tax Options to set your various accounts and then use the TXF report…

HTH,
David

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, David T. wrote:

> You have numerous options. If you’re going the Account Report method,
> first filter your account for the date range you want and then trigger the
> report.

David,

This is what Geert recommended. Hadn't thought of doing this.

> Otherwise, use the transaction report and select your account and date
> range there.

I like this.

Thanks, both of you,

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> Otherwise, use the transaction report and select your account and date
>> range there.
>
> I like this.

As a follow up suggestion, it would be nice if GnuCash remembers the
directory in which to print the PDF file based on the previous one used.
Now, each time the default is shown (here it's ~/workspace/gnucash/).

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

Don’t forget to clear the filter after running the report or down the road you might be wondering why you aren’t seeing a bunch of transactions. (there is an indicator, but it is easily missed)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Don’t forget to clear the filter after running the report or down the road
> you might be wondering why you aren’t seeing a bunch of transactions.
> (there is an indicator, but it is easily missed)

Adrien,

I'm not following you; perhaps we're looking at two different work flows.
What I've done is this:

   Select Reports -> Transaction Report
   Set report title, display type, and date range in General tab
   Find the appropriate account in the Account tab
   Click the Make PDF button
   Specify `print to file`, modify the default file name and directory
   Print the report

Which filter should I clear?

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

Adrien Monteleone-2
That doesn’t apply if using the Transaction Report.

If you were following the advice to run an Account Report *after* first filtering that particular register, then I was advising to add to the workflow a step to remove the filter on that register.

> On Feb 12, 2019, at 11:36 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>
>> Don’t forget to clear the filter after running the report or down the road
>> you might be wondering why you aren’t seeing a bunch of transactions.
>> (there is an indicator, but it is easily missed)
>
> Adrien,
>
> I'm not following you; perhaps we're looking at two different work flows.
> What I've done is this:
>
>  Select Reports -> Transaction Report
>  Set report title, display type, and date range in General tab
>  Find the appropriate account in the Account tab
>  Click the Make PDF button
>  Specify `print to file`, modify the default file name and directory
>  Print the report
>
> Which filter should I clear?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Re: [GNC] Which report for date limited account transactions?

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> That doesn’t apply if using the Transaction Report. If you were following
> the advice to run an Account Report *after* first filtering that
> particular register, then I was advising to add to the workflow a step to
> remove the filter on that register.

Adrien,

I thought this to be the case and why I asked for clarification.

Best regards,

Rich