[GNC] Where is my opening balance?

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi All,

I have noticed that when I create a new account, if I
forget to enter something in opening balance, that
editing the account afterwards does not give me access
to enter an opening balance.

Bug?  Of is it just somewhere I have not looked?  Very
frustrating!

Many thanks,
-T

Re: [GNC] Where is my opening balance?

Adrien Monteleone-2
It’s just a convenience. You can always enter a manual transaction between your chosen account and Equity:Opening Balances.

> On Apr 4, 2019, at 12:03 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that when I create a new account, if I
> forget to enter something in opening balance, that
> editing the account afterwards does not give me access
> to enter an opening balance.
>
> Bug?  Of is it just somewhere I have not looked?  Very
> frustrating!
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: [GNC] Where is my opening balance?

Derek Atkins-3

That page is just a shortcut to create a regular transaction from the new
account to Equity:Opening Balances.  You can just create that regular
transaction yourself.

-derek

On Thu, April 4, 2019 1:03 am, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that when I create a new account, if I
> forget to enter something in opening balance, that
> editing the account afterwards does not give me access
> to enter an opening balance.
>
> Bug?  Of is it just somewhere I have not looked?  Very
> frustrating!
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Where is my opening balance?

Stephen M. Butler
On 4/3/19 10:03 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that when I create a new account, if I
> forget to enter something in opening balance, that
> editing the account afterwards does not give me access
> to enter an opening balance.
>
> Bug?  Of is it just somewhere I have not looked?  Very
> frustrating!
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I never enter anything in that field anyway.  After setting up the
accounts, I then enter an initial transaction that sets all the opening
balances.  That way, I can modify that transaction later if the balances
are wrong, or if I add a new account that needs an opening balance.

For some accounts, the opening balance should be zero anyway!  Like
opening a new CD, you would then transfer money into the CD from some
other account.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Where is my opening balance?

> On Thu, April 4, 2019 1:03 am, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have noticed that when I create a new account, if I
>> forget to enter something in opening balance, that
>> editing the account afterwards does not give me access
>> to enter an opening balance.
>>
>> Bug?  Of is it just somewhere I have not looked?  Very
>> frustrating!
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

On 4/3/19 11:18 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:> Hi,

 > That page is just a shortcut to create a regular transaction from the new
 > account to Equity:Opening Balances.  You can just create that regular
 > transaction yourself.
 >
 > -derek

Hi Derek,

Took a minute or two to sink in, but there is is.  Thank you!

-T