[GNC] What's wrong with the digest?

Stan Brown
I set my preference for the newsletter to "digest". In every other email
newsletter I've subscribed to, that option means one issue a day,
usually sorted by subject line so that related posts are together.

The GC digest has never done that sorting, which is unfortunate. But
lately it seems to have forgotten what "digest" means. I've received 12
issues in about the last 18 hours. What's up, and can we please have an
actual digest?

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

Re: [GNC] What's wrong with the digest?

Adrien Monteleone-2
I don’t ever recall MailMan lists as being sorted, but I could be mistaken. (I haven’t used digests in ages)

While you might on average get one digest per day, a really active list will send multiple because it is also determined by size. When people reply to messages without trimming unnecessary parts of the quoted thread (which may be several messages deep in each quote), the digest size increases quickly. Which is why I’ve learned to trim as often as I can remember to do so. While I don’t use digests myself, I’d like to be kind to those that do.

I’ve adapted to non-digest mode and simply zapping the threads I’m not interested in. This gets me proper threading (in most cases) and is easier to manage replies.