[GNC] What is a 'pre-paymnet' and how do I remove it?

[GNC] What is a 'pre-paymnet' and how do I remove it?

Rich Shepard
   GC-3.2 installed here.

   Last Moday I sent an invoice to a client and entered it, posted to A/R.
Yesterday I recieved payment and entered the check, posting it to checking
account.

   Today I open GC and find a messag that that client had two 'pre-payments'
(now down to one for some reason). When I select that client and tell GC to
process the payment it wants to issue a refund.

   How does a 'pre-payment' appear and how do I clear it?

Curious mind wants to know,

Rich

Re: [GNC] What is a 'pre-paymnet' and how do I remove it?

Adrien Monteleone-2
Right-click the transaction in your checking register and choose “Edit Payment” or “Assign as Payment” (depending on if it was already assigned at one time or not)

Then select both the payment and the invoice it should apply to and save the result.

Pre-payments happen when you process a payment and don’t assign it to an invoice. They can also happen when you unpost an invoice that is already paid and GnuCash doesn’t manage to reapply the payment when you repost the invoice. (not usual, but it does happen)

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Right-click the transaction in your checking register and choose “Edit
> Payment” or “Assign as Payment” (depending on if it was already assigned
> at one time or not)

> Then select both the payment and the invoice it should apply to and save
> the result.

Adrien,

   Thanks, I'll do that.

> Pre-payments happen when you process a payment and don’t assign it to an
> invoice. They can also happen when you unpost an invoice that is already
> paid and GnuCash doesn’t manage to reapply the payment when you repost the
> invoice. (not usual, but it does happen)

   I have not explicitly processed a payment without assigning it to an
invoice. Doing that makes no sense ... to me.

   With one client I _might_ have unposted/reposted the invoice. With this
past week's actions that was not the case.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] What is a 'pre-paymnet' and how do I remove it? [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Right-click the transaction in your checking register and choose “Edit
> Payment” or “Assign as Payment” (depending on if it was already assigned
> at one time or not)
>
> Then select both the payment and the invoice it should apply to and save
> the result.

Adrien,

   That worked. For the most recent instance, when I clicked on the
transaction and selected 'edit payment' both the mythical pre-payment and
the actual payment appeared. Clicking 'OK' cleared both.

   Thanks for providing the solution.

Best regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] What is a 'pre-paymnet' and how do I remove it? [RESOLVED]

Adrien Monteleone-2
Hmm... Not sure I’m following there. You assigned the payment to another payment? Is that even possible?

I suspect you’ve got an errant extra payment somewhere.

Perhaps Geert will need to chime in here. He has been very helpful with resolving these issues.

> On Sep 1, 2018, at 9:46 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>
>> Right-click the transaction in your checking register and choose “Edit
>> Payment” or “Assign as Payment” (depending on if it was already assigned
>> at one time or not)
>>
>> Then select both the payment and the invoice it should apply to and save
>> the result.
>
> Adrien,
>
>  That worked. For the most recent instance, when I clicked on the
> transaction and selected 'edit payment' both the mythical pre-payment and
> the actual payment appeared. Clicking 'OK' cleared both.
>
>  Thanks for providing the solution.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rich

Re: [GNC] What is a 'pre-paymnet' and how do I remove it? [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Hmm... Not sure I’m following there. You assigned the payment to another
> payment? Is that even possible?

   Nope.

> I suspect you’ve got an errant extra payment somewhere.

   Nope.

> Perhaps Geert will need to chime in here. He has been very helpful with
> resolving these issues.

>>  That worked. For the most recent instance, when I clicked on the
>> transaction and selected 'edit payment' both the mythical pre-payment and
>> the actual payment appeared. Clicking 'OK' cleared both.

   Nothing to resolve, as I noted on the subject line.

Op zaterdag 1 september 2018 16:55:44 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Hmm... Not sure I’m following there. You assigned the payment to another
> payment? Is that even possible?

You can. It's just modeling a real world situation.

An example:
Imagine a customer payed you for a service in advance. However due to
circumstances you decide not to charge the service (service not rendered,
commercial compensation,...) and instead decide to reimburse the pre-payment.
Voila.

> I suspect you’ve got an errant extra payment somewhere.

Likely Rich's earlier attempt to make a payment to cancel the pre-payment
created this situation.

But without more details it's impossible to judge whether there is a hidden
problem or not.

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Likely Rich's earlier attempt to make a payment to cancel the pre-payment
> created this situation.

Geert,

   Actually, I paid the outstanding invoice yesterday -- from the invoice
itself ("pay invoice"). It was this morning when I opened the business books
that I saw the pre-payment.

   In any case everything's clear now.

Carpe weekend,

Rich