[GNC] Version 3.4 Mac OS - intermittent fault with transaction editing popup

[GNC] Version 3.4 Mac OS - intermittent fault with transaction editing popup

foxylady337
This came to my notice when trying to examine a number of Split Transactions.

I selected the first transaction and right-clicked to bring up the menu, but when I clicked Split Transaction nothing happened.

I tried one or two other transactions, and sometimes the popup menu options work and sometimes not.

After trying other transactions the first one sometimes works, sometimes not.

I haven’t been able to work out a way of producing this consistently.

Is this a known issue?

Michael

Re: [GNC] Version 3.4 Mac OS - intermittent fault with transaction editing popup

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 11, 2019, at 3:27 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This came to my notice when trying to examine a number of Split Transactions.
>
> I selected the first transaction and right-clicked to bring up the menu, but when I clicked Split Transaction nothing happened.
>
> I tried one or two other transactions, and sometimes the popup menu options work and sometimes not.
>
> After trying other transactions the first one sometimes works, sometimes not.
>
> I haven’t been able to work out a way of producing this consistently.
>
> Is this a known issue?

Maybe. If it's the one I know about the menu item isn't highlighted and moving the pointer up and down the menu doesn't have any visual effect. Move the pointer out of the menu and back in and the items highlight and everything works as it should.

Re: [GNC] Version 3.4 Mac OS - intermittent fault with transaction editing popup

foxylady337
> On 11 Feb 2019, at 15:07, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 11, 2019, at 3:27 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This came to my notice when trying to examine a number of Split Transactions.
>>
>> I selected the first transaction and right-clicked to bring up the menu, but when I clicked Split Transaction nothing happened.
>>
>> I tried one or two other transactions, and sometimes the popup menu options work and sometimes not.
>>
>> After trying other transactions the first one sometimes works, sometimes not.
>>
>> I haven’t been able to work out a way of producing this consistently.
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
>
> Maybe. If it's the one I know about the menu item isn't highlighted and moving the pointer up and down the menu doesn't have any visual effect. Move the pointer out of the menu and back in and the items highlight and everything works as it should.

That’s the one!

I’m having great trouble reproducing it this afternoon, and hadn’t discovered the move-the-pointer trick on the inert popup.

But I have discovered that moving the cursor just outside the top of an active popup (i.e. one which does highlight the options) may make it inert when the cursor is brought back in.

Michael

Re: [GNC] Version 3.4 Mac OS - intermittent fault with transaction editing popup

Adrien Monteleone-2
All context menus for me on a Mac have a ‘lag’ or delay on some or all items in the menu. At most this lasts about 2 seconds. In most cases it is only one menu entry (consistently a ‘delete’ variant) that doesn’t seem to want to be highlighted while the others are all responsive right away. I haven’t had to move the mouse off the menu, I just move up and down and it eventually ‘wakes up.’

Not sure if that is related.

> That’s the one!
>
> I’m having great trouble reproducing it this afternoon, and hadn’t discovered the move-the-pointer trick on the inert popup.
>
> But I have discovered that moving the cursor just outside the top of an active popup (i.e. one which does highlight the options) may make it inert when the cursor is brought back in.
>
> Michael

Re: [GNC] Version 3.4 Mac OS - intermittent fault with transaction editing popup

foxylady337
> On 11 Feb 2019, at 18:59, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All context menus for me on a Mac have a ‘lag’ or delay on some or all items in the menu. At most this lasts about 2 seconds. In most cases it is only one menu entry (consistently a ‘delete’ variant) that doesn’t seem to want to be highlighted while the others are all responsive right away. I haven’t had to move the mouse off the menu, I just move up and down and it eventually ‘wakes up.’
>
> Not sure if that is related.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

>> That’s the one!
>>
>> I’m having great trouble reproducing it this afternoon, and hadn’t discovered the move-the-pointer trick on the inert popup.
>>
>> But I have discovered that moving the cursor just outside the top of an active popup (i.e. one which does highlight the options) may make it inert when the cursor is brought back in.
>>
>> Michael

I’m not suffering from the delay mentioned by Adrien, but I’ve noticed another couple of oddities in the user interface.

It’s not possible to use Cmd-back-apostrophe to switch between two windows opened by the same instance of GC - this was present in 2.6.. versions too - so it’s necessary to click on the other window to give it focus.

In 2.6… any part of the window could be clicked, so it was possible to enter new transactions during a reconciliation (for example).

I’ve found that in 3.4 it’s necessary to click the Title Bar. Clicking the content of a window brings it to the front, but leaves it largely unresponsive.

Switching to the account being reconciled in this way makes it impossible to edit the date of a new transaction, but possible to enter the rest.

Switching back to the Reconciliation Window by clicking on the content leaves the window unresponsive, with the tick marks for already-reconciled transactions greyed out.

In the short term, there is a simple work-around - always click on the Title Bar.

It’s not clear whether this change from 2.6… arises from a change in the GC code itself, or in the window management code it uses.

Michael