[GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly

[GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly

Rich Shepard
   I prepared an Income Statement for June and there's an anomaly I'd like
to resolve.

   There is one expense item for credit card interest and a second item for
bank service charges with the same amount. There was no bank service charge
for June so that line item should not appear. And, if that account was
included the total for the year should have been displayed, not the credit
card interest amount.

   Please suggest how I can find the source of this discrepancy.

TIA,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly

Adrien Monteleone-2
Rich,

Clicking the account name in the report (if you’ve enabled the setting to make account names hyperlinks) should take you to the relevant date area of that account where you can see how those figures were derived and what the balancing splits are. (otherwise you can narrow the view down to the relevant period with a find operation)

I’d check both the interest & service charge accounts and compare.

I’d also suspect the cause to be a duplicate transaction was imported and was mismatched to service charge. (possibly from a subsequent import that included the same transaction but GnuCash didn’t remember the matching assignment, or else the matching assignment was correctly set only on the second run, maybe even overlooked on the first run)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Clicking the account name in the report (if you’ve enabled the setting to
> make account names hyperlinks) should take you to the relevant date area
> of that account where you can see how those figures were derived and what
> the balancing splits are. (otherwise you can narrow the view down to the
> relevant period with a find operation)

> I’d check both the interest & service charge accounts and compare.

Adrien,

   I can regenerate the report and keep the links. But, I did look at both
account registers without seeing any obvious cause.

> I’d also suspect the cause to be a duplicate transaction was imported and
> was mismatched to service charge.

   The only way data are entered are via the keyboard. I'll look again at
these two registers and see if I can spot what I've not before seen.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly

Adrien Monteleone-2
If there’s a expense data being reported from an account that’s not supposed to be there, then that register must have a transaction from that time period in it.

To assist with narrowing this down, double check your time period settings for the report and filter the view of that account register to those same dates. That should make the offending transaction pretty obvious.

Is Bank Service Charge the parent of Credit Card Interest by chance?

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 7:34 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>
>> Clicking the account name in the report (if you’ve enabled the setting to
>> make account names hyperlinks) should take you to the relevant date area
>> of that account where you can see how those figures were derived and what
>> the balancing splits are. (otherwise you can narrow the view down to the
>> relevant period with a find operation)
>
>> I’d check both the interest & service charge accounts and compare.
>
> Adrien,
>
>  I can regenerate the report and keep the links. But, I did look at both
> account registers without seeing any obvious cause.
>
>> I’d also suspect the cause to be a duplicate transaction was imported and
>> was mismatched to service charge.
>
>  The only way data are entered are via the keyboard. I'll look again at
> these two registers and see if I can spot what I've not before seen.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Re: [GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Is Bank Service Charge the parent of Credit Card Interest by chance?

Adrien,

   Nope. The former is an operational expense while the latter is an
administrative expense.

   I'll check transactions and report dates again and let you know what I
find.

Best regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly [FIXED]

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> If there’s a expense data being reported from an account that’s not
> supposed to be there, then that register must have a transaction from that
> time period in it.

Adrien,

   Sigh. User error, of course. When I entered the split transaction in the
checking account register I used Bank Service Charge rather than Credit Card
Interest. Fixed now.

Mea culpa,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Version 3.2: Income Statement report anomaly [FIXED]

Adrien Monteleone-2
I’ve learned after decades of personal experience breaking things that when something goes wrong with a computer, the problem is usually between the keyboard and the chair. (and that’s a feature, not a bug!)

Glad to help.