[GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

12

[GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

foxylady337
I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift key (as is the case with the colon).

Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction, GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.

This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu options, and the Main Window unresponsive.

I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by the Main GnuCash window.

The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac with OS X High Sierra.

I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they sufficient to warrant notification?

Regards,

Michael

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Adrien Monteleone-2
While the creation of those accounts on the fly is probably hard coded to use a dash, what if you created them yourself and used a different spacer in the name, then change your separator character of choice?

Options might be ‘Imbalance_GBP’ or 'Imbalance–GBP’ or ‘Imbalance—GBP’.

Those last two might look exactly like ‘Imbalance-GBP’ depending on your e-mail client’s text settings, but they are an en-dash and em-dash respectively, not hyphens. If your keyboard layout is set to ‘Macintosh’ you should be able to generate those by using OPT- and SHIFT+OPT- respectively.

First change the account separator back to the default, then edit the names of those accounts, then change the separator to what you want.

Then create a test transaction that should attempt to create the Imbalance or Orphan accounts and see if it uses the ones you renamed, or creates new ones with dashes instead.

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift key (as is the case with the colon).
>
> Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction, GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.
>
> This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu options, and the Main Window unresponsive.
>
> I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by the Main GnuCash window.
>
> The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac with OS X High Sierra.
>
> I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they sufficient to warrant notification?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Derek Atkins-3
I don't think that would work.
If you change a name of the created accounts, GnuCash will just create a
new one.  I think it specifically looks for the name.
I also don't think you can *move* those accounts, either.
-derek

On Tue, July 23, 2019 11:38 am, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> While the creation of those accounts on the fly is probably hard coded to
> use a dash, what if you created them yourself and used a different spacer
> in the name, then change your separator character of choice?
>
> Options might be ‘Imbalance_GBP’ or 'Imbalance–GBP’ or ‘Imbalance—GBP’.
>
> Those last two might look exactly like ‘Imbalance-GBP’ depending on your
> e-mail client’s text settings, but they are an en-dash and em-dash
> respectively, not hyphens. If your keyboard layout is set to ‘Macintosh’
> you should be able to generate those by using OPT- and SHIFT+OPT-
> respectively.
>
> First change the account separator back to the default, then edit the
> names of those accounts, then change the separator to what you want.
>
> Then create a test transaction that should attempt to create the Imbalance
> or Orphan accounts and see if it uses the ones you renamed, or creates new
> ones with dashes instead.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible
>> with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift
>> key (as is the case with the colon).
>>
>> Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction,
>> GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks
>> the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.
>>
>> This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash
>> appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu
>> options, and the Main Window unresponsive.
>>
>> I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue
>> box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by
>> the Main GnuCash window.
>>
>> The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac
>> with OS X High Sierra.
>>
>> I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they
>> sufficient to warrant notification?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Adrien Monteleone-2
Derek,

I suspected as much, and indeed if one hovers over the input box in preferences where you define your custom separator, the tooltip says “dash” is not allowed among others, presumably because they are either used by the app itself in a hard-coded fashion, or would create havoc if they aren’t escaped properly.

Michael,

Sorry, your choice of separator is not allowed.

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 10:42 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't think that would work.
> If you change a name of the created accounts, GnuCash will just create a
> new one.  I think it specifically looks for the name.
> I also don't think you can *move* those accounts, either.
> -derek
>
> On Tue, July 23, 2019 11:38 am, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> While the creation of those accounts on the fly is probably hard coded to
>> use a dash, what if you created them yourself and used a different spacer
>> in the name, then change your separator character of choice?
>>
>> Options might be ‘Imbalance_GBP’ or 'Imbalance–GBP’ or ‘Imbalance—GBP’.
>>
>> Those last two might look exactly like ‘Imbalance-GBP’ depending on your
>> e-mail client’s text settings, but they are an en-dash and em-dash
>> respectively, not hyphens. If your keyboard layout is set to ‘Macintosh’
>> you should be able to generate those by using OPT- and SHIFT+OPT-
>> respectively.
>>
>> First change the account separator back to the default, then edit the
>> names of those accounts, then change the separator to what you want.
>>
>> Then create a test transaction that should attempt to create the Imbalance
>> or Orphan accounts and see if it uses the ones you renamed, or creates new
>> ones with dashes instead.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible
>>> with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift
>>> key (as is the case with the colon).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction,
>>> GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks
>>> the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.
>>>
>>> This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash
>>> appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu
>>> options, and the Main Window unresponsive.
>>>
>>> I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue
>>> box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by
>>> the Main GnuCash window.
>>>
>>> The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac
>>> with OS X High Sierra.
>>>
>>> I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they
>>> sufficient to warrant notification?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Michael

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

foxylady337
> On 23 Jul 2019, at 16:42, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't think that would work.

I’d already tried that, and it didn’t work.

To be clear, I had an unbalanced transaction which had caused the creation of Imbalance-GBP.

I saved the file, closed GC and then reopened it - generating the warning message about the use of the separator character in an account name.

I edited the name of the account (Imbalance-GBP —> Imbalance_GBP), saved, closed and opened again and got no warning.

I then created a further unbalanced transaction, which resulted in my having two Imbalance Accounts - Imbalance_GBP and Imbalance-GBP.

My conclusion is that the creation of the Imbalance and Orphan account names is hard-wired into the code.

Michael

> If you change a name of the created accounts, GnuCash will just create a
> new one.  I think it specifically looks for the name.
> I also don't think you can *move* those accounts, either.
> -derek
>
> On Tue, July 23, 2019 11:38 am, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> While the creation of those accounts on the fly is probably hard coded to
>> use a dash, what if you created them yourself and used a different spacer
>> in the name, then change your separator character of choice?
>>
>> Options might be ‘Imbalance_GBP’ or 'Imbalance–GBP’ or ‘Imbalance—GBP’.
>>
>> Those last two might look exactly like ‘Imbalance-GBP’ depending on your
>> e-mail client’s text settings, but they are an en-dash and em-dash
>> respectively, not hyphens. If your keyboard layout is set to ‘Macintosh’
>> you should be able to generate those by using OPT- and SHIFT+OPT-
>> respectively.
>>
>> First change the account separator back to the default, then edit the
>> names of those accounts, then change the separator to what you want.
>>
>> Then create a test transaction that should attempt to create the Imbalance
>> or Orphan accounts and see if it uses the ones you renamed, or creates new
>> ones with dashes instead.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible
>>> with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift
>>> key (as is the case with the colon).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction,
>>> GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks
>>> the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.
>>>
>>> This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash
>>> appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu
>>> options, and the Main Window unresponsive.
>>>
>>> I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue
>>> box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by
>>> the Main GnuCash window.
>>>
>>> The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac
>>> with OS X High Sierra.
>>>
>>> I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they
>>> sufficient to warrant notification?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Michael

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

foxylady337
> On 23 Jul 2019, at 17:01, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Derek,
>
> I suspected as much, and indeed if one hovers over the input box in preferences where you define your custom separator, the tooltip says “dash” is not allowed among others, presumably because they are either used by the app itself in a hard-coded fashion, or would create havoc if they aren’t escaped properly.

The tooltip on my Mac version of GC 3.5 specifically includes “dash” as one of the legal options.

Michael

> Michael,
>
> Sorry, your choice of separator is not allowed.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 10:42 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that would work.
>> If you change a name of the created accounts, GnuCash will just create a
>> new one.  I think it specifically looks for the name.
>> I also don't think you can *move* those accounts, either.
>> -derek
>>
>> On Tue, July 23, 2019 11:38 am, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>>> While the creation of those accounts on the fly is probably hard coded to
>>> use a dash, what if you created them yourself and used a different spacer
>>> in the name, then change your separator character of choice?
>>>
>>> Options might be ‘Imbalance_GBP’ or 'Imbalance–GBP’ or ‘Imbalance—GBP’.
>>>
>>> Those last two might look exactly like ‘Imbalance-GBP’ depending on your
>>> e-mail client’s text settings, but they are an en-dash and em-dash
>>> respectively, not hyphens. If your keyboard layout is set to ‘Macintosh’
>>> you should be able to generate those by using OPT- and SHIFT+OPT-
>>> respectively.
>>>
>>> First change the account separator back to the default, then edit the
>>> names of those accounts, then change the separator to what you want.
>>>
>>> Then create a test transaction that should attempt to create the Imbalance
>>> or Orphan accounts and see if it uses the ones you renamed, or creates new
>>> ones with dashes instead.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Colin Law
On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 17:18, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The tooltip on my Mac version of GC 3.5 specifically includes “dash” as one of the legal options.

Same with 3.6 on Ubuntu.  The tooltip says "dash" is allowed.  I guess
that is a bug.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Adrien Monteleone-2
I’m using 3.6 on MacOS.

It says, emphasis mine:

A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters and numbers, or any of the following strings: “colon” “slash”, “backslash”, “dash” and “period”.

There are three missing commas in that list, but the intent is still clear. The ‘or’ is extending the list of exceptions beyond just “letters and numbers”.

It should probably read for clarity and grammar:

A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters, numbers, “colon”, “slash”, “backslash”, “dash”, and “period”.

Thus, you cannot use:

letters
numbers
colon
slash
backslash
dash
period

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 17:18, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The tooltip on my Mac version of GC 3.5 specifically includes “dash” as one of the legal options.
>
> Same with 3.6 on Ubuntu.  The tooltip says "dash" is allowed.  I guess
> that is a bug.
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Colin Law
But "colon" is the default!

Colin

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 18:16 Adrien Monteleone, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m using 3.6 on MacOS.
>
> It says, emphasis mine:
>
> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters and numbers, or any
> of the following strings: “colon” “slash”, “backslash”, “dash” and “period”.
>

> There are three missing commas in that list, but the intent is still
> clear. The ‘or’ is extending the list of exceptions beyond just “letters
> and numbers”.
>

> It should probably read for clarity and grammar:
>
> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters, numbers, “colon”,
> “slash”, “backslash”, “dash”, and “period”.
>
> Thus, you cannot use:
>
> letters
> numbers
> colon
> slash
> backslash
> dash
> period
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

> > On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 17:18, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
> >> The tooltip on my Mac version of GC 3.5 specifically includes “dash” as
> one of the legal options.
> >
> > Same with 3.6 on Ubuntu.  The tooltip says "dash" is allowed.  I guess
> > that is a bug.
> >
> > Colin

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Derek,

I don't know about renaming, but you certainly can move them! I've had my Imbalance accounts placed in a different top level account (Special Accounts) for years.

David T.

On July 23, 2019, at 9:13 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't think that would work.
If you change a name of the created accounts, GnuCash will just create a
new one.  I think it specifically looks for the name.
I also don't think you can *move* those accounts, either.
-derek

On Tue, July 23, 2019 11:38 am, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> While the creation of those accounts on the fly is probably hard coded to
> use a dash, what if you created them yourself and used a different spacer
> in the name, then change your separator character of choice?
>
> Options might be ‘Imbalance_GBP’ or 'Imbalance–GBP’ or ‘Imbalance—GBP’.
>
> Those last two might look exactly like ‘Imbalance-GBP’ depending on your
> e-mail client’s text settings, but they are an en-dash and em-dash
> respectively, not hyphens. If your keyboard layout is set to ‘Macintosh’
> you should be able to generate those by using OPT- and SHIFT+OPT-
> respectively.
>
> First change the account separator back to the default, then edit the
> names of those accounts, then change the separator to what you want.
>
> Then create a test transaction that should attempt to create the Imbalance
> or Orphan accounts and see if it uses the ones you renamed, or creates new
> ones with dashes instead.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible
>> with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift
>> key (as is the case with the colon).
>>
>> Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction,
>> GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks
>> the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.
>>
>> This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash
>> appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu
>> options, and the Main Window unresponsive.
>>
>> I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue
>> box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by
>> the Main GnuCash window.
>>
>> The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac
>> with OS X High Sierra.
>>
>> I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they
>> sufficient to warrant notification?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Adrien Monteleone-2
What happens if you accidentally trigger Imbalance or Orphan, does they go to your custom accounts or does GC re-create them?

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 12:36 PM, D <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Derek,
>
> I don't know about renaming, but you certainly can move them! I've had my Imbalance accounts placed in a different top level account (Special Accounts) for years.
>
> David T.

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Good catch. That’s definitely a documentation bug. I could see why including it in the exceptions makes that sentence appear to read that those are allowed.

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 12:26 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But "colon" is the default!
>
> Colin
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 18:16 Adrien Monteleone, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m using 3.6 on MacOS.
>
> It says, emphasis mine:
>
> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters and numbers, or any of the following strings: “colon” “slash”, “backslash”, “dash” and “period”.
>

> There are three missing commas in that list, but the intent is still clear. The ‘or’ is extending the list of exceptions beyond just “letters and numbers”.
>

> It should probably read for clarity and grammar:
>
> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters, numbers, “colon”, “slash”, “backslash”, “dash”, and “period”.
>
> Thus, you cannot use:
>
> letters
> numbers
> colon
> slash
> backslash
> dash
> period
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

> > On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 17:18, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> The tooltip on my Mac version of GC 3.5 specifically includes “dash” as one of the legal options.
> >
> > Same with 3.6 on Ubuntu.  The tooltip says "dash" is allowed.  I guess
> > that is a bug.
> >
> > Colin

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

It is indeed. What the tooltip is trying to say is that you can enter any single character except a letter or a number or you can enter one of the listed strings and GnuCash will convert the string to the corresponding character. "dash" really means "hyphen" (U+002d), but regardless that conflicts with the hard-coded account names including imbalance, orphaned gains, and trading accounts.

We can't change the hard-coded account names without breaking existing books, which is too bad. Using one of the dash characters (U+2013 or U+2014) would have been a better design choice as it requires special effort to enter one from most keyboards. I'm afraid the only solution is to make U+002d an illegal separator character and to remove "dash" from the interpreted strings.

The hiding message box is mostly a mac problem, the fix is to make it "transient for" the preferences window.

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But "colon" is the default!
>
> Colin
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 18:16 Adrien Monteleone, <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’m using 3.6 on MacOS.
>>
>> It says, emphasis mine:
>>
>> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters and numbers, or any
>> of the following strings: “colon” “slash”, “backslash”, “dash” and “period”.
>>

>> There are three missing commas in that list, but the intent is still
>> clear. The ‘or’ is extending the list of exceptions beyond just “letters
>> and numbers”.
>>

>> It should probably read for clarity and grammar:
>>
>> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters, numbers, “colon”,
>> “slash”, “backslash”, “dash”, and “period”.
>>
>> Thus, you cannot use:
>>
>> letters
>> numbers
>> colon
>> slash
>> backslash
>> dash
>> period
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>

>>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> one of the legal options.
>>>
>>> Same with 3.6 on Ubuntu.  The tooltip says "dash" is allowed.  I guess
>>> that is a bug.
>>>
>>> Colin

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Adrien Monteleone-2
Ah, that makes more sense! Thanks!

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 12:55 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is indeed. What the tooltip is trying to say is that you can enter any single character except a letter or a number or you can enter one of the listed strings and GnuCash will convert the string to the corresponding character. "dash" really means "hyphen" (U+002d), but regardless that conflicts with the hard-coded account names including imbalance, orphaned gains, and trading accounts.
>
> We can't change the hard-coded account names without breaking existing books, which is too bad. Using one of the dash characters (U+2013 or U+2014) would have been a better design choice as it requires special effort to enter one from most keyboards. I'm afraid the only solution is to make U+002d an illegal separator character and to remove "dash" from the interpreted strings.
>
> The hiding message box is mostly a mac problem, the fix is to make it "transient for" the preferences window.

>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> But "colon" is the default!
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 18:16 Adrien Monteleone, <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I’m using 3.6 on MacOS.
>>>
>>> It says, emphasis mine:
>>>
>>> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters and numbers, or any
>>> of the following strings: “colon” “slash”, “backslash”, “dash” and “period”.
>>>

>>> There are three missing commas in that list, but the intent is still
>>> clear. The ‘or’ is extending the list of exceptions beyond just “letters
>>> and numbers”.
>>>

>>> It should probably read for clarity and grammar:
>>>
>>> A legal value is any single character EXCEPT letters, numbers, “colon”,
>>> “slash”, “backslash”, “dash”, and “period”.
>>>
>>> Thus, you cannot use:
>>>
>>> letters
>>> numbers
>>> colon
>>> slash
>>> backslash
>>> dash
>>> period
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

>>> one of the legal options.

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

It uses the existing ones. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

On July 23, 2019, at 11:20 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

What happens if you accidentally trigger Imbalance or Orphan, does they go to your custom accounts or does GC re-create them?

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 12:36 PM, D <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Derek,
>
> I don't know about renaming, but you certainly can move them! I've had my Imbalance accounts placed in a different top level account (Special Accounts) for years.
>
> David T.

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

foxylady337
> On 23 Jul 2019, at 18:55, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is indeed. What the tooltip is trying to say is that you can enter any single character except a letter or a number or you can enter one of the listed strings and GnuCash will convert the string to the corresponding character. "dash" really means "hyphen" (U+002d), but regardless that conflicts with the hard-coded account names including imbalance, orphaned gains, and trading accounts.
>
> We can't change the hard-coded account names without breaking existing books, which is too bad. Using one of the dash characters (U+2013 or U+2014) would have been a better design choice as it requires special effort to enter one from most keyboards. I'm afraid the only solution is to make U+002d an illegal separator character and to remove "dash" from the interpreted strings.
>
> The hiding message box is mostly a mac problem, the fix is to make it "transient for" the preferences window.

I’m not sure what this last sentence means - were you referring to the start-up message that warns of the presence of a hyphen in an account-name that GC has created, e.g. Imbalance-GBP?

I can accept that this might be a Mac problem, but what does this have to do with the preferences window - which isn’t in use on start-up, and can’t be accessed until the message is closed?

Here is a screenshot taken after I’d deliberately entered an unbalanced transaction, closed GC and then re-opened it. I had to reduce the width of the Accounts Window to see the warning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glxivc5732xg33n/Screenshot%202019-07-23%2019.10.19.png?dl=0

Regards,

Michael

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Fred Bone
On 23 July 2019 at 12:48, Adrien Monteleone said:

> What happens if you accidentally trigger Imbalance or Orphan, does they go
> to your custom accounts or does GC re-create them?

I also have them as child accounts (under "Suspense"). They function
perfectly well - in fact, only a couple of days ago I managed to produce
an Imbalance split, and it went there.

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 23 Jul 2019, at 18:55, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It is indeed. What the tooltip is trying to say is that you can enter any single character except a letter or a number or you can enter one of the listed strings and GnuCash will convert the string to the corresponding character. "dash" really means "hyphen" (U+002d), but regardless that conflicts with the hard-coded account names including imbalance, orphaned gains, and trading accounts.
>>
>> We can't change the hard-coded account names without breaking existing books, which is too bad. Using one of the dash characters (U+2013 or U+2014) would have been a better design choice as it requires special effort to enter one from most keyboards. I'm afraid the only solution is to make U+002d an illegal separator character and to remove "dash" from the interpreted strings.
>>
>> The hiding message box is mostly a mac problem, the fix is to make it "transient for" the preferences window.
>
> I’m not sure what this last sentence means - were you referring to the start-up message that warns of the presence of a hyphen in an account-name that GC has created, e.g. Imbalance-GBP?
>
> I can accept that this might be a Mac problem, but what does this have to do with the preferences window - which isn’t in use on start-up, and can’t be accessed until the message is closed?
>
> Here is a screenshot taken after I’d deliberately entered an unbalanced transaction, closed GC and then re-opened it. I had to reduce the width of the Accounts Window to see the warning.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/glxivc5732xg33n/Screenshot%202019-07-23%2019.10.19.png?dl=0

Sorry, I misunderstood when you were seeing the dialog.

It appears to be set "transient for" the splash screen. I think that's right, but it should also  block opening the main window until you dismiss it. That wouldn't be mac-only.

Re: [GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

foxylady337
> On 24 Jul 2019, at 05:38, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Michael Hendry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 23 Jul 2019, at 18:55, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is indeed. What the tooltip is trying to say is that you can enter any single character except a letter or a number or you can enter one of the listed strings and GnuCash will convert the string to the corresponding character. "dash" really means "hyphen" (U+002d), but regardless that conflicts with the hard-coded account names including imbalance, orphaned gains, and trading accounts.
>>>
>>> We can't change the hard-coded account names without breaking existing books, which is too bad. Using one of the dash characters (U+2013 or U+2014) would have been a better design choice as it requires special effort to enter one from most keyboards. I'm afraid the only solution is to make U+002d an illegal separator character and to remove "dash" from the interpreted strings.
>>>
>>> The hiding message box is mostly a mac problem, the fix is to make it "transient for" the preferences window.
>>
>> I’m not sure what this last sentence means - were you referring to the start-up message that warns of the presence of a hyphen in an account-name that GC has created, e.g. Imbalance-GBP?
>>
>> I can accept that this might be a Mac problem, but what does this have to do with the preferences window - which isn’t in use on start-up, and can’t be accessed until the message is closed?
>>
>> Here is a screenshot taken after I’d deliberately entered an unbalanced transaction, closed GC and then re-opened it. I had to reduce the width of the Accounts Window to see the warning.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/glxivc5732xg33n/Screenshot%202019-07-23%2019.10.19.png?dl=0
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood when you were seeing the dialog.
>
> It appears to be set "transient for" the splash screen. I think that's right, but it should also  block opening the main window until you dismiss it. That wouldn't be mac-only.

Thanks, John.

I’ve posted a bug report.

D <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
>
> I don't know about renaming, but you certainly can move them! I've had
> my Imbalance accounts placed in a different top level account (Special
> Accounts) for years.

That is good to know.
I try not to have the accounts exist in my books ;)

> David T.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
12