[GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi Guys,I have been using GnuCash since 2011. However, it is a whilesince I have upgraded the version and I am not sure which version I amcurrently using. My Operating System is Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. How do I upgrade to the latest version without losing anydata? How do I check the version I am currently using and which of the latest version do you recommend?
Thank you for all the help and assistance.
Regards,Courtney

Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

John Ralls

> On Mar 30, 2019, at 5:59 AM, Courtney Perry via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,I have been using GnuCash since 2011. However, it is a whilesince I have upgraded the version and I am not sure which version I amcurrently using. My Operating System is Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. How do I upgrade to the latest version without losing anydata? How do I check the version I am currently using and which of the latest version do you recommend?
> Thank you for all the help and assistance.
> Regards,Courtney

Courtney,

The GnuCash version is in Help>About.

To upgrade just download the latest installer--there will be a new one tomorrow--and run it. In most cases GnuCash 3.x will load an old file, even one from GnuCash 2.4, without any problems.

If it fails, though, you can try intermediate releases from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/. Same procedure: Download and run the installer. Stepping through the last release of each stable series should resolve any problems,
so if you're using 2.4.something then install 2.4.14, load and save the file, then install 2.6.21, load and save the file, and finally 3.5 (tomorrow's release).

Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

Larry Long
 Hi John,
I don't recall whether you created the GNC build for Ubuntu.If so, do you have plans to create a v3.5 Ubuntu build?
Thanks!
Larry Long

    On Saturday, 30 Mar 2019 07:41:17 -0700, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:  ...

> Courtney,
>
> The GnuCash version is in Help>About.
>
> To upgrade just download the latest installer--there will be a new one
> tomorrow--and run it.
> In most cases GnuCash 3.x will load an old file, even one from
> GnuCash 2.4, without any problems.
>
> If it fails, though, you can try intermediate releases from>  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/.
> Same procedure: Download and run the installer. Stepping through
> the last release of each stable series should resolve any problems,
> so if you're using 2.4.something then install 2.4.14, load and save
> the file, then install 2.6.21, load and save the file, and finally 3.5
> (tomorrow's release).

Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

John Ralls-2
I didn't and I don't.
A user named Steven Butler made one for GnuCash 3.4, I think mostly as an exercise to see if he could. I don't know if he'll do that again for GnuCash 3.5.

> On Mar 30, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Larry Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
> I don't recall whether you created the GNC build for Ubuntu.If so, do you have plans to create a v3.5 Ubuntu build?
> Thanks!
> Larry Long
>
>    On Saturday, 30 Mar 2019 07:41:17 -0700, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:  ...
>> Courtney,
>>
>> The GnuCash version is in Help>About.
>>
>> To upgrade just download the latest installer--there will be a new one
>> tomorrow--and run it.
>> In most cases GnuCash 3.x will load an old file, even one from
>> GnuCash 2.4, without any problems.
>>
>> If it fails, though, you can try intermediate releases from>  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/.
>> Same procedure: Download and run the installer. Stepping through
>> the last release of each stable series should resolve any problems,
>> so if you're using 2.4.something then install 2.4.14, load and save
>> the file, then install 2.6.21, load and save the file, and finally 3.5
>> (tomorrow's release).
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

stephen.m.butler51
I am currently in Pagudpud,, Illocos Norte, Philippines.   Will take a 12 hr bus ride to Manilla  in about 4 hrs.  Will fly to the states tomorrow evening and be home the day after. There are some failing business scripts that need attention.   After that I will see if I can create a deb package for Ubuntu.Be gentle as I doubt much sleep tonight nor tomorrow night.-- SteveSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: John Ralls <[hidden email]> Date: 3/31/19  04:30  (GMT+08:00) To: Larry Long <[hidden email]> Cc: [hidden email] Subject: Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version I didn't and I don't. A user named Steven Butler made one for GnuCash 3.4, I think mostly as an exercise to see if he could. I don't know if he'll do that again for GnuCash 3.5.Regards,John Ralls> On Mar 30, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Larry Long <[hidden email]> wrote:> > Hi John,> I don't recall whether you created the GNC build for Ubuntu.If so, do you have plans to create a v3.5 Ubuntu build?> Thanks!> Larry Long> >    On Saturday, 30 Mar 2019 07:41:17 -0700, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:  ...>> Courtney,>> >> The GnuCash version is in Help>About.>> >> To upgrade just download the latest installer--there will be a new one >> tomorrow--and run it. >> In most cases GnuCash 3.x will load an old file, even one from >> GnuCash 2.4, without any problems. >> >> If it fails, though, you can try intermediate releases from>  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/. >> Same procedure: Download and run the installer. Stepping through >> the last release of each stable series should resolve any problems,>> so if you're using 2.4.something then install 2.4.14, load and save >> the file, then install 2.6.21, load and save the file, and finally 3.5 >> (tomorrow's release).>> >> Regards,>> John Ralls> > > _______________________________________________> gnucash-user mailing list> [hidden email]> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.> -----> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All._______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing [hidden email] update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-userIf you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

Colin Law
That would be great Steve, thanks.

Colin

 . >> >> If it fails, though, you can try intermediate releases from>  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/. >> Same procedure: Download and run the installer. Stepping through >> the last release of each stable series should resolve any problems,>> so if you're using 2.4.something then install 2.4.14, load and save >> the file, then install 2.6.21, load and save the file, and finally 3.5 >> (tomorrow's release).>> >> Regards,>> John Ralls> > > _______________________________________________> gnucash-user mailing list> [hidden email]> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.> -----> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All._______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing lis
 [hidden email] update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-userIf you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Upgrading to the latest version

vladimir pugachev
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 at 13:13, vladimir pugachev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It is broke, see the bugfixes in the release notes.

Colin