[GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

John R. Sowden
It seems that GC is a very popular accounting program, and Ubuntu/Linux
is a very popular Operating System, yet when there is an upgrade in GC,
I cannot find a straightforward method of updating GC under Ubuntu/Linux.

I understand that there is a delay before the new version of GC is in
the Ubuntu Software download system.  That is internal to Ubuntu.  But
there are alternatives, such as an alternative repository and self
compiling.  Oh yes, what about pre-compiled binaries like Windows and Mac?

Each could have clear concise instructions on how to perform the task.

One could direct the user with specific commands to go th the repository
that gets the upgrade first.

A script could be written and published with copious comments, testing
for dependencies, loading them, doing a security check of the downloaded
files, compiling and testing.

Google has not turned out to be my friend, otherwise I would not be
writing this.  There are articles years old, no install scripts, no
suggestions of repositories with instructions.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I have spent a couple of hours searching
with many selected key words,

John

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/29/2018 11:45 AM, John R. Sowden wrote:

> It seems that GC is a very popular accounting program, and
> Ubuntu/Linux is a very popular Operating System, yet when there is an
> upgrade in GC, I cannot find a straightforward method of updating GC
> under Ubuntu/Linux.
>
> I understand that there is a delay before the new version of GC is in
> the Ubuntu Software download system.  That is internal to Ubuntu.  But
> there are alternatives, such as an alternative repository and self
> compiling.  Oh yes, what about pre-compiled binaries like Windows and
> Mac?
>
> Each could have clear concise instructions on how to perform the task.
>
> One could direct the user with specific commands to go th the
> repository that gets the upgrade first.
>
> A script could be written and published with copious comments, testing
> for dependencies, loading them, doing a security check of the
> downloaded files, compiling and testing.
>
> Google has not turned out to be my friend, otherwise I would not be
> writing this.  There are articles years old, no install scripts, no
> suggestions of repositories with instructions.
>
> Feel free to prove me wrong, I have spent a couple of hours searching
> with many selected key words,
>
> John

Having just done a download and compile to my Ubuntu 18.04, let me share
with you what I did.  Sometimes reading the web sites leaves one (at
least me) scratching their head vigorously -- in my case not a good idea
with the hair I have left!

1.  Read this page:  https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04
     It works for 18.04 also.

    You didn't say which version of Ubuntu so I am presuming either
16.04 or 18.04
    You may need to install a bunch of libraries.  I found that a couple
or more were already on my box.

    My box had some old libraries hanging around that I had to manually
remove in /usr/src:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/src/gtest /usr/src/gmock

    See this note:
https://larry-price.com/blog/2013/10/13/installing-gtest-and-gmock-libs-in-ubuntu-13-dot-04/
    But don't worry.  Just remove the above two entries (if they exist)
and the install of googletest and googlemock will work.
    I ended up uninstalling the two packages on my way to figuring out
what had happened. sudo apt-get install build-essential

sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install libtool libltdl-dev
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0 libglib2.0-dev   #glib2 > v2.40.0
sudo apt-get install icu-devtools libicu-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev            # boost > 1.50.0 - requires locale and regex built with ICU support
sudo apt-get install guile-2.0 guile-2.0-dev     # guile >=2.0.0
sudo apt-get install swig3.0                     # swig >2.0.10 *(swig3.0 on Ubuntu18.04)* not required if building from
tarball,

sudo apt-get install googletest
sudo apt-get install googlemock
sudo apt-get install libgtest-dev
                                                # but from any version control system
sudo apt-get install libxml2 libxml++2.6-dev
sudo apt-get install libxslt1.1 libxslt1-dev
sudo apt-get install xsltproc
sudo apt-get install texinfo                     # required for makeinfo

sudo apt-get install gtk+3.0
sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
sudo apt-get install libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37        # > webkit2gtk-3.0
sudo apt-get install libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev

sudo apt-get install libdbi1 libdbi-dev         # > v0.8.3

# one of the following three if you want a database backend option:
sudo apt-get install libdbd-pgsql                # PostgreSQL database
sudo apt-get install libdbd-mysql                # MySQL database
sudo apt-get install libdbd-sqlite3              # Sqlite database

sudo apt-get install libofx-dev

sudo apt-get install aqbanking-tools libaqbanking-dev   # > v4.0.0
sudo apt-get install gwenhywfar-tools libgwenhywfar60 libgwenhywfar60-dev
sudo apt-get install ktoblzcheck libktoblzcheck1-dev

sudo apt-get install python3-pytest

As noted above, my box had many of these already so apt-get skipped the
install for them and told me I already had the latest.

2.  Download this source code from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/3.2/gnucash-3.2.tar.gz/download

3.  Move the file to where you want to house your source:   I made mine
$HOME/Projects/GnuCash.
    mkdir -p $HOME/Projects/GnuCash
    cd Downloads
    mv gnucash* $HOME/Projects/GnuCash

4.  Go there and build your source and build folders
    cd ../Projects/GnuCash
    gunzip gnucash*
    tar -xf gnucash*
    mkdir mybuild
    cd mybuild

5.  Compile and install
    cmake ../gnucash*
    make
    sudo make install

I'll admit that I made several mis-steps along the way and needed help
from the great folks here.  Hopefully this will get you going.
Oh, uninstall gnucash first if you already have a version.  I failed to
do that and had to remove some outdated files.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

David Carlson-4
Before 'rolling your own' GnuCash, check out Getdeb.net.  They may not have
3 series yet, but they are up to 2.6.17 at least, if not later.

David C

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 3.  Move the file to where you want to house your source:   I made mine
> $HOME/Projects/GnuCash.
>     mkdir -p $HOME/Projects/GnuCash
>     cd Downloads
>     mv gnucash* $HOME/Projects/GnuCash
>
> 4.  Go there and build your source and build folders
>     cd ../Projects/GnuCash
>     gunzip gnucash*
>     tar -xf gnucash*
>     mkdir mybuild
>     cd mybuild
>
> 5.  Compile and install
>     cmake ../gnucash*
>     make
>     sudo make install
>
> I'll admit that I made several mis-steps along the way and needed help
> from the great folks here.  Hopefully this will get you going.
> Oh, uninstall gnucash first if you already have a version.  I failed to
> do that and had to remove some outdated files.

DaveC49
John,

The GnuCash wiki Installation instructions now link to the build
instructions for Ubuntu (and derivative distrubutions like Linux Mint)
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building which in turn has a link specifically
for building V3 on on Ubuntu16.04, 18.04 and derivatives which now hopefully
should be fairly comprehensive. If you have any difficulties with these
instructions or variations for a particular system please mention it on the
forum. I'm a Linux Mint user so my system is not straight Ubuntu 16.04 so I
appreciate any feedback for specific Ubuntu versions. You can also edit the
Wiki pages directly if you request an account to do so.

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

Colin Law
Ubuntu 18.04 is currently ahead of getdeb, at version 2.6.19

Colin

On 29 June 2018 at 20:50, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having just done a download and compile to my Ubuntu 18.04, let me share
> with you what I did.  Sometimes reading the web sites leaves one (at
> least me) scratching their head vigorously -- in my case not a good idea
> with the hair I have left!

Hi Stephen

Following your 18.04 build have you got all the icons available?  Assuming
you installed to /usr/local then you should see
$ ls -l /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions
total 72
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-delete.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 416 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-edit.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 460 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-new.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-open.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 334 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account.png

If they are there could you help me to debug an install issue please?
Remove or rename /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons and rerun
sudo make install
Then check to see if the icons have been restored?  When I try it on 18.04
I am not getting the icons and have to hack one of the cmake files to get
it to work, but for others it works ok on Ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks

Colin

On 07/02/2018 07:31 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 29 June 2018 at 20:50, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Having just done a download and compile to my Ubuntu 18.04, let me
>     share
>     with you what I did.  Sometimes reading the web sites leaves one (at
>     least me) scratching their head vigorously -- in my case not a
>     good idea
>     with the hair I have left!
>

> Hi Stephen
>
> Following your 18.04 build have you got all the icons available?
> Assuming you installed to /usr/local then you should see
> $ ls -l /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions
> total 72
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-delete.png
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 416 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-edit.png
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 460 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-new.png
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account-open.png
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 334 Apr 15 00:51 gnc-account.png
>
> If they are there could you help me to debug an install issue please?
> Remove or rename /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons and rerun
> sudo make install
> Then check to see if the icons have been restored?  When I try it on
> 18.04 I am not getting the icons and have to hack one of the cmake
> files to get it to work, but for others it works ok on Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

I have:
ls -l /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions
total 72
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-account-delete.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 416 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-account-edit.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 460 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-account-new.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-account-open.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 334 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-account.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 417 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-account-report.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 549 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-gnome-pdf.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 824 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-duplicate.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 711 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-edit.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 542 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-new.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 767 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-pay.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 546 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 658 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-post.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 682 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-unpost.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 723 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-jumpto.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 616 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-split-trans.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 789 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-transfer.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 714 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-sx-new.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 789 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-transfer.png

I then did:
cd /usr/local/share/gnucash
sudo mv icons smbhold
cd ~/Projects/GnuCash/mybuild
sudo make install
<< snip a long list>>
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash_splash.png
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/scalable
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16
steve@stevelaptop:/usr/local/share/gnucash
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice-edit.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice-post.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-gnome-pdf.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-account-edit.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice-pay.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-account-new.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-account-report.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice-new.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice-duplicate.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-sx-new.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-jumpto.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-account-open.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-split-trans.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-invoice-unpost.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-account.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-transfer.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/gnc-account-delete.png
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice-edit.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice-post.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-gnome-pdf.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-account-edit.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice-pay.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-account-new.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-account-report.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice-new.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice-duplicate.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-sx-new.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-jumpto.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-account-open.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-split-trans.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-invoice-unpost.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-account.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-transfer.png
-- Installing:
/usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/24x24/actions/gnc-account-delete.png
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/256x256
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/22x22
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/96x96
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/64x64
steve@stevelaptop:/usr/local/share/gnucash
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/128x128
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/32x32
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/48x48
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor
<<snip another long list>>

cd /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions
ls -l
steve@stevelaptop:/usr/local/share/gnucashps
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 658 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-post.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 682 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-unpost.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 723 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-jumpto.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 616 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-split-trans.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 714 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-sx-new.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 789 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-transfer.png

Which shell are you running?  It looks like I am running under bash.

ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 4844 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 5929 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

Colin Law
I thought you might have hit on something there (the shell) as I have been
using ssh to connect in to run it, but I have tried locally and it is the
same.  I have added some cmake message output and can see that the command
to install to /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons does nothing unless I hack the
regex.  The one to output to /usr/local/share/icons is working correctly.
I am using bash too.

It doesn't make sense.   I am at a loss to know what to try next.

Colin

On 07/02/2018 12:34 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> I thought you might have hit on something there (the shell) as I have
> been using ssh to connect in to run it, but I have tried locally and
> it is the same.  I have added some cmake message output and can see
> that the command to install to /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons does
> nothing unless I hack the regex.  The one to output to
> /usr/local/share/icons is working correctly.  I am using bash too.
>
> It doesn't make sense.   I am at a loss to know what to try next.
>
> Colin

At times I've found I have to escape the * or the shell will immediately
expand it.  Other times it seems to pass through OK.  I don't know why.

I haven't tried here since it is working for me.  Very strange.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

DaveC49
Stephen, Colin

I think there is a problem with the cmake creation of the scripts that do
the install, that is not installing the icons correctly. I just did an
uninstall of v3.2 on Ubuntu, deleted any gnucash files left in my install
location (/usr/local) relating to gnucash so that all directories had to be
recreated and there were no existing files to cause any problems, then did a
reinstall.  The procedure (sudo make install) reported that it was
installing the icons in /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/... etc. but
when I check the locations it has claimed to install files to, there are
only empty directories and no files in them. The output from the terminal
for that section of the install is below. I am not too sure what the
"Up-to-date" note means but no png files end up in those locations on my
system. See attached  screenshot of /usr/local/share/gnucash taken after the
above install below
  Screenshot_from_2018-07-03_14-33-56.png
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/Screenshot_from_2018-07-03_14-33-56.png>

[...]
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/256x256
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gnucash-icon.svg
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/24x24
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/22x22
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/16x16
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/96x96
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/gnucash-icon.png
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/64x64
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/gnucash-icon.png

Like Stephen Gnucash seems to be working fine in spite of this in my case.
Despite the icons not being there, they are being used in GnuCash. I have
explicitly checked the post/unpoost invoice and create, edit, duplicate
invoice icons and they are present and working. Definitely very strange
unless the icons are built into the program and are only in the share
dircectory for reference or some historical purpose. I will try and chack
further when i have a bit more time.

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

cicko
In addition to all the other replies, I'd like to add that I would not
normally expect the user to compile the software and add all the development
dependencies.
For this reason, among others, I've added a feature request for the creation
of AppImage: https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796019.

I'm trying to get familiar with the build process at Open Build Service on
Suse servers in order to build this. It should be easy but Murphy's law
works there, too. My progress has also been slowed down by the fact that I
managed to create a build for the RPM with the latest GnuCash release on OBS
and this satisfies the most urgent need. It should be just one more step in
order to get the AppImage from the successful RPM build, apparently.

If anyone has the desire, understanding, and/or some time, you are welcome
to look more into this. While OBS builds RPMs first, once they get compiled
into AppImage, all the dependencies are stored in there, so the end result
is distribution-agnostic.

Needless to say, having such a binary distribution would probably solve the
compilation and update problems for many Linux users.

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

DaveC49
Stephen, Colin

Just a correction to my last post. There is no problem with the icon
installation on Linux Mint 18.3.  It seems to possibly be a problem with
Nemo (Linux Mint file explorer) rather than the installation. All of the
icon files are actually there but there is something with the permissions
that does not allow Nemo  to see them if it is not opened as root despite,
all the files having read permissions for all users (and only for gnucash
files). I have closed and reopened Nemo in case it had somehow manged to get
that instance into a wierd state but the behavior seems to be reproducible.

It is a really weird situation, as with Nemo not open as root I can see the
icon and files in/usr/share/gnucash/pixmaps but not in
/usr/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions or any of the other icon
directories (shows as 0 items) yet with Nemo opened as root I can see them
all yet for any directories under /usr/share/gnucash, e.g. checks, I can see
all the contents in both yet there is no difference in the permissions of
the files (-rw-r--r-) or the directories (drwxr-xr-x) for the text files in
checks or the png files in the icon directories. The ownership and group of
all files and directories is root, root as you would expect.

If I use a terminal I can of course see the files at all levels with and
without root permissions.

Yet I have checked other software directories e.g. /usr/local/share/icons
and I have no problem seeing .png files in similar shares which all have the
above directory and file permissions without opening as root.

 I will check on the Linux Mint forums to see if anyone else has experienced
the same problem with Nemo.

On 3 July 2018 at 02:06, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/02/2018 01:42 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 2 July 2018 at 21:06, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>     At times I've found I have to escape the * or the shell will
>>     immediately
>>     expand it.  Other times it seems to pass through OK.  I don't know
>>     why.
>>

>> Do you mean something like
>> REGEX ".\\*/apps.*" EXCLUDE
>>
>> That seems to stop the regex from matching anything, so nothing is
>> excluded.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> I don't use REGEX but in other uses I've had ".\*/apps.\*" -- but no
> guarantees.

It seems that a single \ is not valid in a regex, it causes a syntax error.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

Colin Law
Eureka moment - it is obvious if I just look in the right place.  The
full cmake command I have is

file(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/gnucash/icons"
TYPE DIRECTORY FILES
"/home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor" REGEX ".*/apps.*"
EXCLUDE)

The REGEX is given the full path, which includes
/home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor.  I have put my
source directory under a folder called apps so the regex matches
everything!  Changing the regex to

REGEX "hicolor/.*/apps.*" EXCLUDE

works perfectly.

Colin

On 2 July 2018 at 20:34, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> steve@stevelaptop:/usr/local/share/gnucash
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 824 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-duplicate.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 711 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-edit.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 542 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-new.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 767 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-pay.png
>> steve@stevelaptop:/usr/local/share/gnucash
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 546 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice.png
>> steve@stevelaptop:/usr/local/share/gnucashps
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 658 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-post.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 682 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-invoice-unpost.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 723 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-jumpto.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 616 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-split-trans.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 714 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-sx-new.png
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 789 Apr 14 16:51 gnc-transfer.png
>>
>> Which shell are you running?  It looks like I am running under bash.

Geert Janssens-4
Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 10:57:59 CEST schreef Colin Law:

> Eureka moment - it is obvious if I just look in the right place.  The
> full cmake command I have is
>
> file(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/gnucash/icons"
> TYPE DIRECTORY FILES
> "/home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor" REGEX ".*/apps.*"
> EXCLUDE)
>
> The REGEX is given the full path, which includes
> /home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor.  I have put my
> source directory under a folder called apps so the regex matches
> everything!  Changing the regex to
>
> REGEX "hicolor/.*/apps.*" EXCLUDE
>
> works perfectly.
>
> Colin

Wow, that's a good catch!

I have updated the build system to use a more specific regex as you propose.

On 4 July 2018 at 10:31, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 10:57:59 CEST schreef Colin Law:
>> Eureka moment - it is obvious if I just look in the right place.  The
>> full cmake command I have is
>>
>> file(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/gnucash/icons"
>> TYPE DIRECTORY FILES
>> "/home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor" REGEX ".*/apps.*"
>> EXCLUDE)
>>
>> The REGEX is given the full path, which includes
>> /home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor.  I have put my
>> source directory under a folder called apps so the regex matches
>> everything!  Changing the regex to
>>
>> REGEX "hicolor/.*/apps.*" EXCLUDE
>>
>> works perfectly.
>>
>> Colin
>
> Wow, that's a good catch!
>
> I have updated the build system to use a more specific regex as you propose.

I think there should be a / after apps as well, so apps/.*  As it is
at the moment an image whose filename started with 'apps' would be
excluded.  Presumably you have similarly changed the 'actions' regex
too, though it is less likely that anyone will have a path including
'actions'.

Colin

Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 12:37:12 CEST schreef Colin Law:

> On 4 July 2018 at 10:31, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 10:57:59 CEST schreef Colin Law:
> >> Eureka moment - it is obvious if I just look in the right place.  The
> >> full cmake command I have is
> >>
> >> file(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/gnucash/icons"
> >> TYPE DIRECTORY FILES
> >> "/home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor" REGEX ".*/apps.*"
> >> EXCLUDE)
> >>
> >> The REGEX is given the full path, which includes
> >> /home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor.  I have put my
> >> source directory under a folder called apps so the regex matches
> >> everything!  Changing the regex to
> >>
> >> REGEX "hicolor/.*/apps.*" EXCLUDE
> >>
> >> works perfectly.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > Wow, that's a good catch!
> >
> > I have updated the build system to use a more specific regex as you
> > propose.
> I think there should be a / after apps as well, so apps/.*  As it is
> at the moment an image whose filename started with 'apps' would be
> excluded.  Presumably you have similarly changed the 'actions' regex
> too, though it is less likely that anyone will have a path including
> 'actions'.
>
> Colin

Hi Colin,

It's not strictly necessary as all our current icons have names that start
either with gnc or gnucash so they won't be filtered out.

However I do agree with you it's better to be more strict to prevent future
unexpected failures so I have added the slashes as you suggest.

And yes I did so for both apps and actions.

Thanks for your feedback.

On 07/02/2018 09:48 PM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Stephen, Colin
>
> I think there is a problem with the cmake creation of the scripts that do
> the install, that is not installing the icons correctly. I just did an
> uninstall of v3.2 on Ubuntu, deleted any gnucash files left in my install
> location (/usr/local) relating to gnucash so that all directories had to be
I think you missed /usr/share/local/icons.  Did that get populated.

> recreated and there were no existing files to cause any problems, then did a
> reinstall.  The procedure (sudo make install) reported that it was
> installing the icons in /usr/local/share/gnucash/icons/hicolor/... etc. but
> when I check the locations it has claimed to install files to, there are
> only empty directories and no files in them. The output from the terminal
> for that section of the install is below. I am not too sure what the
> "Up-to-date" note means but no png files end up in those locations on my
> system. See attached  screenshot of /usr/local/share/gnucash taken after the
> above install below
>   Screenshot_from_2018-07-03_14-33-56.png
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/Screenshot_from_2018-07-03_14-33-56.png>

I think "up to date" is on the directories and it means it saw the
directory already existing.
Looks like only /usr/local/share/icons and sub-directories.  So maybe
you got all the /usr/local/share/gnucash but missed that other one.

> [...]
> -- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gnucash-icon.png
> -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/96x96
> -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps
> -- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/gnucash-icon.png
> -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/64x64
> -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps
> -- Installing: /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/gnucash-icon.png
>
> Like Stephen Gnucash seems to be working fine in spite of this in my case.
> Despite the icons not being there, they are being used in GnuCash. I have
> explicitly checked the post/unpoost invoice and create, edit, duplicate
> invoice icons and they are present and working. Definitely very strange
> unless the icons are built into the program and are only in the share
> dircectory for reference or some historical purpose. I will try and chack

--Steve

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 07/04/2018 01:57 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> Eureka moment - it is obvious if I just look in the right place.  The
> full cmake command I have is
>
> file(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/gnucash/icons"
> TYPE DIRECTORY FILES
> "/home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor" REGEX ".*/apps.*"
> EXCLUDE)
>
> The REGEX is given the full path, which includes
> /home/colinl/apps/gnucash-3.2/data/pixmaps/hicolor.  I have put my
> source directory under a folder called apps so the regex matches
> everything!  Changing the regex to
>
> REGEX "hicolor/.*/apps.*" EXCLUDE
>
> works perfectly.
>
> Colin

I love computers.  They do exactly what they are told to do.  It's just
that sometimes what I think they were told is something different than
what the computer thinks.  It usually wins!
When you finally see things through its eyes you have this Aha!
Insight.  (with apologies to Martin Gardiner)

--Steve

<<snip>>