[GNC] Upgrade to 3.2, or stay with 2.6?

Eric Haszlakiewicz
Most of the links on the home page point at 3.2, but right below where
it says "Download GnuCash 3.2" it says "GnuCash 2.6 release tour".
huh?
Should I stay with 2.6 for now, or is 3.2 ok to upgrade to?

Re: [GNC] Upgrade to 3.2, or stay with 2.6?

Adrien Monteleone-2
The tour simply hasn’t been updated yet for 3.x series. I have to say, I agree that it is confusing.

Hopefully, those who contributed major changes have some of their volunteer time they can dedicate to showcasing new features.

Until then, release notes are always available.

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:22 PM, Eric Haszlakiewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Most of the links on the home page point at 3.2, but right below where
> it says "Download GnuCash 3.2" it says "GnuCash 2.6 release tour".
> huh?
> Should I stay with 2.6 for now, or is 3.2 ok to upgrade to?

Re: [GNC] Upgrade to 3.2, or stay with 2.6?

Eric,

The essential question here is v 2.6 currently meeting your requirements.
Are you able to do what you need to do? If it is then there is no real
reason to change until you are really ready to. The main gain in V3.2 from a
user perspective is possibly the improvements in the CSV importer. You will
find the Release Notes on the News page https://www.gnucash.org/news.phtml

There is also always a period after a new major release where bugs are being
sorted out. In this case most of them are relatively minor on Linux
distributions  but there have  been more significant problems for Windows
versions. If you examine the release notes as Adrien has suggested  and then
the bug reports (bugs.gnucash.org) you can determine whether there are
features you absolutely have to have and/or bugs you can't afford to have at
present. The most significant bugs wil have been eliminated by v3.3
scheduled for release in September. Not all the reported bugs are
necessarily bugs, look for those which are classified with high severity.
These should indicate bugs which stop use of GnuCash rather than a minor
inconvenience. For the latter you will often find workarounds in the forum
discussions

Re: [GNC] Upgrade to 3.2, or stay with 2.6?

Eric,As Devid pointed out, it depends upon your usage. For me, I reverted
back to 2.6.21 because I use for business purpose and for which 3.2 needs
some more maintenance.nor

-----
nor