[GNC] Updating advice

Finbar Mahon
Hello,

I want to do a backup of the current installation as of 31.12.2018 and
install the latest version (3.3?) from 1.1.2019. First is this a
worthwhile action and is there any particular process I should follow? I
have looked around the documentation but I didn't find a "how to"

I am using 2.6.19 on Windows 10.

TIA, Barry

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Colin Law
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 09:49, Finbar Mahon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to do a backup of the current installation as of 31.12.2018 and
> install the latest version (3.3?) from 1.1.2019. First is this a
> worthwhile action and is there any particular process I should follow? I
> have looked around the documentation but I didn't find a "how to"

Do you mean backing up your accounts data?  If so then that is
something everyone should already be doing regularly.  A computer or
disk may go up in smoke (literally or metaphoricallly) at any time,
taking all your account history with it if you are not doing regular
backups.  See this for information on what to backup.
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

If you mean you want to backup the software itself so you can easily
revert to the old version should you need to then that is not normally
something one would do, though I believe Windows has a mechanism for
keeping a snapshot of the current system so you can revert if you want
to.  You can always uninstall the latest and install an earlier one if
you want to, though it is not guaranteed that accounts data which have
been used with 3.3 will be usable with an earlier version, so you
might have to go back to an earlier backup of your accounts

Colin

> I am using 2.6.19 on Windows 10.
>
> TIA, Barry

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Finbar Mahon
Sorry, I meant doing the first option (as I  should have been:-[) before
updating to 3.3.

Thanks for the information. I'll have a look at the wiki.

On 30/12/2018 10:57, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 09:49, Finbar Mahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to do a backup of the current installation as of 31.12.2018 and
>> install the latest version (3.3?) from 1.1.2019. First is this a
>> worthwhile action and is there any particular process I should follow? I
>> have looked around the documentation but I didn't find a "how to"
> Do you mean backing up your accounts data?  If so then that is
> something everyone should already be doing regularly.  A computer or
> disk may go up in smoke (literally or metaphoricallly) at any time,
> taking all your account history with it if you are not doing regular
> backups.  See this for information on what to backup.
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup
>
> If you mean you want to backup the software itself so you can easily
> revert to the old version should you need to then that is not normally
> something one would do, though I believe Windows has a mechanism for
> keeping a snapshot of the current system so you can revert if you want
> to.  You can always uninstall the latest and install an earlier one if
> you want to, though it is not guaranteed that accounts data which have
> been used with 3.3 will be usable with an earlier version, so you
> might have to go back to an earlier backup of your accounts
>
> Colin
>
>> I am using 2.6.19 on Windows 10.
>>
>> TIA, Barry

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Finbar Mahon
Sorry, I'm afraid you are dealing with a neophyte here.

I read the wiki, and I looked for the data files but didn't find
anything that looked like 'gnucash.20140131150812.gnucash.'

I recall having seen on here various discussions on backing up - is
there a place where I could find a set of questions/answers on doing a
backup?

TIA for any advice.

Barry

On 30/12/2018 11:50, Finbar Mahon wrote:

> Sorry, I meant doing the first option (as I  should have been:-[)
> before updating to 3.3.
>
> Thanks for the information. I'll have a look at the wiki.

> On 30/12/2018 10:57, Colin Law wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 09:49, Finbar Mahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to do a backup of the current installation as of 31.12.2018 and
>>> install the latest version (3.3?) from 1.1.2019. First is this a
>>> worthwhile action and is there any particular process I should
>>> follow? I
>>> have looked around the documentation but I didn't find a "how to"
>> Do you mean backing up your accounts data?  If so then that is
>> something everyone should already be doing regularly.  A computer or
>> disk may go up in smoke (literally or metaphoricallly) at any time,
>> taking all your account history with it if you are not doing regular
>> backups.  See this for information on what to backup.
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup
>>
>> If you mean you want to backup the software itself so you can easily
>> revert to the old version should you need to then that is not normally
>> something one would do, though I believe Windows has a mechanism for
>> keeping a snapshot of the current system so you can revert if you want
>> to.  You can always uninstall the latest and install an earlier one if
>> you want to, though it is not guaranteed that accounts data which have
>> been used with 3.3 will be usable with an earlier version, so you
>> might have to go back to an earlier backup of your accounts
>>
>> Colin
>>
>>> I am using 2.6.19 on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> TIA, Barry

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Colin Law
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 09:50, Finbar Mahon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm afraid you are dealing with a neophyte here.
>
> I read the wiki, and I looked for the data files but didn't find
> anything that looked like 'gnucash.20140131150812.gnucash.'

On reading it I see that what is missing is how to find where the
gnucash file is saved.  The problem is that where it is was specified
by yourself when you first saved your accounts file.  Just as it is if
you save a word processor document for example, so the wiki assumes
you remember where that is.  Presumably you do not remember that
yourself.  If you open gnucash then you see the name of the file in
the title bar (I assume that is so on all operating systems).  So you
just need to know which folder it is stored in.  If you click File >
Save As then I believe the file browser should open showing the folder
where it is currently stored, so then you can close that save as
window and open that folder in whatever file explorer you normally
use.

Colin

> I recall having seen on here various discussions on backing up - is
> there a place where I could find a set of questions/answers on doing a
> backup?
>
> TIA for any advice.
>
> Barry
>
> On 30/12/2018 11:50, Finbar Mahon wrote:
> > Sorry, I meant doing the first option (as I  should have been:-[)
> > before updating to 3.3.
> >
> > Thanks for the information. I'll have a look at the wiki.

> >> Do you mean backing up your accounts data?  If so then that is
> >> something everyone should already be doing regularly.  A computer or
> >> disk may go up in smoke (literally or metaphoricallly) at any time,
> >> taking all your account history with it if you are not doing regular
> >> backups.  See this for information on what to backup.
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup
> >>
> >> If you mean you want to backup the software itself so you can easily
> >> revert to the old version should you need to then that is not normally
> >> something one would do, though I believe Windows has a mechanism for
> >> keeping a snapshot of the current system so you can revert if you want
> >> to.  You can always uninstall the latest and install an earlier one if
> >> you want to, though it is not guaranteed that accounts data which have
> >> been used with 3.3 will be usable with an earlier version, so you
> >> might have to go back to an earlier backup of your accounts
> >>
> >> Colin

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 31 december 2018 11:00:58 CET schreef Colin Law:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 09:50, Finbar Mahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sorry, I'm afraid you are dealing with a neophyte here.
> >
> > I read the wiki, and I looked for the data files but didn't find
> > anything that looked like 'gnucash.20140131150812.gnucash.'
>
> On reading it I see that what is missing is how to find where the
> gnucash file is saved.  The problem is that where it is was specified
> by yourself when you first saved your accounts file.  Just as it is if
> you save a word processor document for example, so the wiki assumes
> you remember where that is.  Presumably you do not remember that
> yourself.  If you open gnucash then you see the name of the file in
> the title bar (I assume that is so on all operating systems).  So you
> just need to know which folder it is stored in.  If you click File >
> Save As then I believe the file browser should open showing the folder
> where it is currently stored, so then you can close that save as
> window and open that folder in whatever file explorer you normally
> use.

Another way to figure out where your current data file is stored:
* Open GnuCash
* Click on the File menu
* You will see a list of last-used files between the "Properties" and the
"Close" menu items
* Hover with your mouse pointer over the name of your data file
=> The full path of this file will be displayed in the GnuCash status bar at
the bottom of the GnuCash window

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Colin Law
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 11:31, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another way to figure out where your current data file is stored:
> * Open GnuCash
> * Click on the File menu
> * You will see a list of last-used files between the "Properties" and the
> "Close" menu items
> * Hover with your mouse pointer over the name of your data file
> => The full path of this file will be displayed in the GnuCash status bar at
> the bottom of the GnuCash window

Excellent, that is much better.  It should probably be added to the
wiki section on backing up.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Fred Bone
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:31, Geert Janssens said:

[...]
> Another way to figure out where your current data file is stored:
> * Open GnuCash
> * Click on the File menu
> * You will see a list of last-used files between the "Properties" and the
> "Close" menu items * Hover with your mouse pointer over the name of your
> data file => The full path of this file will be displayed in the GnuCash
> status bar at the bottom of the GnuCash window

That is not the case here (2.6.21 on Win10). Either it doesn't work on
Windows, or it's new with 3.x.

Re: [GNC] Updating advice

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 31 december 2018 15:44:46 CET schreef Fred Bone:

> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:31, Geert Janssens said:
>
> [...]
>
> > Another way to figure out where your current data file is stored:
> > * Open GnuCash
> > * Click on the File menu
> > * You will see a list of last-used files between the "Properties" and the
> > "Close" menu items * Hover with your mouse pointer over the name of your
> > data file => The full path of this file will be displayed in the GnuCash
> > status bar at the bottom of the GnuCash window
>
> That is not the case here (2.6.21 on Win10). Either it doesn't work on
> Windows, or it's new with 3.x.

I believe new in 3.x