[GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

[GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

John Bonnett
From:
Ethan Swint <[hidden email]>

Date:
14/06/2018 3:18 PM

>Hi -
>
>I just made the jump from 2.6 to 3.1, but I found that I lost all of my lot
>info for stocks and my saved report configurations. My google-fu is not
>good WRT scanning the list, so if any have encountered similar situation,
>I'd be much obliged.
>
>Thanks!

I did the upgrade to 3.1 and also lost my reports. Here is what I did to get them back after looking at some comments by others on the mailing list. By the way I am on Windows 10.

I searched using Jam UltraSearch for files and folders with "gnucash" in them. I found quite a few but one in particular was ".gnucash", notice the initial "." which is a convention in Linux for a configuration folder. I found it at this path

"C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash"

in it I found this file

"C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash\saved-reports-2.4"

which looked a bit suspicious. In it I found Scheme code for my missing reports.

Another folder I found in my search was

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"

Now this Roaming folder often holds configuration information on Windows. It also had recently dated files in it so was probably related to my recent installation of GnuCash 3.1.

I copied the above mentioned saved reports file to

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\saved-reports-2.4"

and next time I opened GnuCash my reports had returned.

I have replaced my username in the above with <username> as yours will likely be different.

Hope this helps.

John Bonnett

Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Ken Schneider-2
On 06/14/2018 04:37 AM, John Bonnett wrote:

> From:
> Ethan Swint <[hidden email]>
>
> Date:
> 14/06/2018 3:18 PM
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I just made the jump from 2.6 to 3.1, but I found that I lost all of
>> my lot
>> info for stocks and my saved report configurations. My google-fu is not
>> good WRT scanning the list, so if any have encountered similar situation,
>> I'd be much obliged.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I did the upgrade to 3.1 and also lost my reports. Here is what I did to
> get them back after looking at some comments by others on the mailing
> list. By the way I am on Windows 10.
>
> I searched using Jam UltraSearch for files and folders with "gnucash" in
> them. I found quite a few but one in particular was ".gnucash", notice
> the initial "." which is a convention in Linux for a configuration
> folder. I found it at this path
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash"

The '.' preceding a file or folder in unix or linux treats the file or
folder as hidden not a configuration file or folder.

Ken

Op donderdag 14 juni 2018 10:37:31 CEST schreef John Bonnett:
> I found it at this path
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash"

Gnucash 3.1 is supposed to migrate from this directory to
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash

I don't know why this didn't happen for you.

> in it I found this file
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash\saved-reports-2.4"
>
> which looked a bit suspicious. In it I found Scheme code for my missing
> reports.
>
> Another folder I found in my search was
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
>
> Now this Roaming folder often holds configuration information on Windows. It
> also had recently dated files in it so was probably related to my recent
> installation of GnuCash 3.1.

This directory should be generated as part of the first-time run of gnucash
3.1.

Can you do an experiment to help evaluate the migration step ?
Can you
1. quit gnucash if it's still running
2. rename
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash.bkp"
That moves it out of the way of gnucash.
3. Start gnucash
=> Does it report a migration of meta data ?
4. Quit gnucash
5. Locate the most recent trace file [1] and post it here.

> I copied the above mentioned saved reports file to
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\saved-reports-2.4"
>
> and next time I opened GnuCash my reports had returned.

Indeed. You manually completed the migration. I would like to figure out why
this didn't happen in the first place.

Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Ethan Swint
My response at bottom of post.

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 10:53:06 +0200
From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Cc: John Bonnett <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Op donderdag 14 juni 2018 10:37:31 CEST schreef John Bonnett:
> I found it at this path
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash"

Gnucash 3.1 is supposed to migrate from this directory to
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash

I don't know why this didn't happen for you.

> in it I found this file
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash\saved-reports-2.4"
>
> which looked a bit suspicious. In it I found Scheme code for my missing
> reports.
>
> Another folder I found in my search was
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
>
> Now this Roaming folder often holds configuration information on Windows.
It
> also had recently dated files in it so was probably related to my recent
> installation of GnuCash 3.1.

This directory should be generated as part of the first-time run of gnucash
3.1.

Can you do an experiment to help evaluate the migration step ?
Can you
1. quit gnucash if it's still running
2. rename
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash.bkp"
That moves it out of the way of gnucash.
3. Start gnucash
=> Does it report a migration of meta data ?
4. Quit gnucash
5. Locate the most recent trace file [1] and post it here.

> I copied the above mentioned saved reports file to
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\saved-reports-2.4"
>
> and next time I opened GnuCash my reports had returned.

Indeed. You manually completed the migration. I would like to figure out
why
this didn't happen in the first place.

Geert -

Thanks for the suggestion - trace file contents below. I didn't see any
note about migration of metadata, and Gnucash did not migrate my old
reports or lots. The manual migration works, however. Thanks for the

Ethan

* 15:42:37  WARN <gnc.gui> error reading group Page 12 key ShowUnused: Key
file does not have key “ShowUnused” in group “Page 12”
* 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
'never round' specified.
* 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
'never round' specified.
* 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
'never round' specified.
* 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
'never round' specified.
* 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
'never round' specified.
* 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.app-utils> [gnc_state_save()] Error: Failure saving
state file.
  Cannot open file
C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\books\XXXXXXX.gnucash.gcm: No such
file or directory
* 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.core-utils> Cannot open file
C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\expressions-2.0: No such file or
directory
* 15:43:59  WARN <gnc.scm> Can't save style sheet

Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Geert Janssens-4
Thanks for the response.

The trace indeed has no messages related to migration. In retrospect it
couldn't have :(

The migration code itself runs before logging is set up. So any message
printed during migration would be sent to the console, but on windows that is
not available.

There are several other clues though the migration didn't run:
- no pop-up window summarizing the migration results
- missing saved report configurations
- warnings about missing .gcm file

I dug into the code and found I already fixed one issue that would prevent the
migration right after the release of gnucash 3.1. Can you retry the procedure
with a recent nightly build ? For example this one;
https://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/maint/gnucash-3.1-2018-06-18-git-3.1-171-g1e3a44500+.setup.exe

Make a backup of your active gnucash book, install this version, move c:\Users
\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash out of the way and start gnucash. Do you
see a migration summary window in this case ?

Op zondag 17 juni 2018 03:18:02 CEST schreef Ethan Swint:

> [...]
> 'never round' specified.
> * 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
> 'never round' specified.
> * 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
> 'never round' specified.
> * 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.app-utils> [gnc_state_save()] Error: Failure saving
> state file.
>   Cannot open file
> C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\books\XXXXXXX.gnucash.gcm: No such
> file or directory
> * 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.core-utils> Cannot open file
> C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\expressions-2.0: No such file or
> directory
> * 15:43:59  WARN <gnc.scm> Can't save style sheet
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Hi Geert,

I have done as you suggested and I got this window along with the usual ones

The trace file has this

* 14:26:19  WARN <gnc.gui> error reading group Page 1 key ShowUnused:
Key file does not have key “ShowUnused” in group “Page 1”
* 14:26:31  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has
NULL account

That second message appears in other trace files and looks like I have a
null account. The first message is new.

The program seems to be working OK. Is it safe for me to continue with
this version or should I revert to the released v3.1?

Let me know if you would like me to try anything else.

John

On 21/06/2018 1:16 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> [...]
>> 'never round' specified.
>> * 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
>> 'never round' specified.
>> * 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
>> 'never round' specified.
>> * 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.app-utils> [gnc_state_save()] Error: Failure saving
>> state file.
>>    Cannot open file
>> C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\books\XXXXXXX.gnucash.gcm: No such
>> file or directory
>> * 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.core-utils> Cannot open file
>> C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\expressions-2.0: No such file or
>> directory
>> * 15:43:59  WARN <gnc.scm> Can't save style sheet
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Hi John,

Good! So migration is working with a recent maint build. The first warning is
harmless. It complains about a missing setting. However that setting is only
introduced in gnucash 3.x so it can't be there in the old metadata files. This
should go away automatically you reopen your data file the next time.

I don't think you have to revert to gnucash 3.1. The changes in maint are
almost all bug fixes so the current state should be in better shape even than
3.1. I would advise to upgrade to 3.2 when it comes out though as just
yesterday I found a regression that can crash gnucash when a book has posted
invoices and bills. The regression is dealt with in today's nightly and will
also be in 3.2. The original issue we attempted to fix (but for which the fix
itself caused the regression) remains open:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796248 but is less critical.

Op zaterdag 23 juni 2018 07:07:02 CEST schreef John Bonnett:

> [...]
> >> 'never round' specified.
> >> * 15:42:41  WARN <qof> [gnc_numeric_to_decimal()] Rounding required when
> >> 'never round' specified.
> >> * 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.app-utils> [gnc_state_save()] Error: Failure saving
> >> state file.
> >>
> >>    Cannot open file
> >>
> >> C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\books\XXXXXXX.gnucash.gcm: No
> >> such
> >> file or directory
> >> * 15:43:59  CRIT <gnc.core-utils> Cannot open file
> >> C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\expressions-2.0: No such file or
> >> directory
> >> * 15:43:59  WARN <gnc.scm> Can't save style sheet
> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

There's no need for me. I got confirmation from John it worked. However it may
be useful to you to have a complete metadata migration as that does more than
only copying the saved report configurations.

When you're ready to upgraged to the freshly released 3.2 you can follow the
same procedure as I proposed for the test with a few amendments:

1. Quit gnucash
2. Move the pre-existing c:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash aside (rename
it to GnuCash-bkp for example)
3. Start gnucash (and watch it report the metadata migration)
4. Quit gnucash again
5. Copy some files back from GnuCash-bkp to the newly created GnuCash:
- all files from the "books" subdirectory
- your most recent save-reports
- if you made changes to your stylesheets recently the stylesheets-x.y file
- log.conf and config-user.scm if they exist and you modified them since you
started working with gnucash 3.x

Geert