[GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

12

[GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Rich Shepard
Sometimes a new transaction for a previous payee copies the split transfer,
but the current transaction is not split. Searching the guide and help
manuals for 'unsplit' finds nothing. I think there was a long ago thread on
unsplitting a transaction but I have no record of that here.

What is the process to convert a split transaction to a single expense
account?

Rich

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Derek Atkins-3
Expand it and remove all the other splits.
Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is the
correct phrasing)
-derek

On Wed, June 5, 2019 2:21 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Sometimes a new transaction for a previous payee copies the split
> transfer,
> but the current transaction is not split. Searching the guide and help
> manuals for 'unsplit' finds nothing. I think there was a long ago thread
> on
> unsplitting a transaction but I have no record of that here.
>
> What is the process to convert a split transaction to a single expense
> account?
>
> Rich

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Expand it and remove all the other splits.

Derek,

That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
rows.

> Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is the
> correct phrasing)

Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit column.
I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

On Wed, June 5, 2019 2:34 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Expand it and remove all the other splits.
>
> Derek,
>
> That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
> debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
> rows.

If you did that, then you didn't properly remove the other splits.  You
need to go into each cell and manually remove the data, then tab out..
Then use the arrow key to move up and the split will disappear.  Continue
until all the extra splits are gone.

>> Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is
>> the
>> correct phrasing)
>
> Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
> out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit
> column.
> I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.

I just looked.  It's right-click -> remove other splits.

Make sure you have the anchor split selected when you do this.
Then you'll need to re-add the correct "other" split and properly set the
debits and credits.

> Thanks,
>
> Rich

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

It has always been my custom to start from the left in the row that I want
to delete and alternately hit delete and tab across until the split
disappears completely.  I am not sure if that is the only way to do it, but
I got into that habit long ago.

The main caveat is if that is done in the last or only row containing the
account register name of the current view, the entire transaction seems to
disappear out of that register view without warning, but it still exists in
the general ledger and the register views of the other split lines.  In my
case that process takes several seconds and it is irreversible if done by
accident.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 1:35 PM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Expand it and remove all the other splits.
>
> Derek,
>
> That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
> debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
> rows.
>
> > Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is the
> > correct phrasing)
>
> Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
> out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit column.
> I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

GnuCash - User mailing list

David,

If you delete the split for the current register, there is nothing binding the transaction to the current register, so of course it will "disappear" from this register.

David

  On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 14:49, David Carlson<[hidden email]> wrote:   It has always been my custom to start from the left in the row that I want

wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Expand it and remove all the other splits.
>
> Derek,
>
> That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
> debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
> rows.
>
> > Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is the
> > correct phrasing)
>
> Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
> out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit column.
> I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Stan Brown

On 2019-06-05 14:47, David Carlson wrote:
> It has always been my custom to start from the left in the row that
> I want to delete and alternately hit delete and tab across until the
> split disappears completely. I am not sure if that is the only way to
> do it, but I got into that habit long ago.
Is that really necessary in 3.5? It's certainly NOT necessary in 2.6.19,
which I'm using.

Click anywhere in the split (line item) that you want to delete, then
click the red slash-in-a-circle (Delete) icon in the toolbar. You get a
confirming prompt which specifically mentions you're about to delete a
split -- a single line item within a transaction.

There's absolutely no need to delete any numbers first -- I've just
verified this by trying it.

(The confirming prompt contains a check box "Remember and don't ask me
again."  If you don't get the prompt, most likely you ticked that box at
some point and forgot about it.)

BTW, GnuCash won't let you delete a split that belongs to the account
register you're working in. For example, if you have the "Yard
Maintenance" account open and are editing a transaction in that account
register, you can't delete a split identifying the Yard Maintenance
account. You _can_ edit that split to identify a different account, and
then delete it. If you do that, be sure to make all changes before
pressing Enter, because the transaction will disappear from the "Yard
Maintenance" register as soon as you do. Of course you can still find it
in the account register for any of the remaining splits.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

David Carlson-4
Stan,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 2:07 PM Stan Brown <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 2019-06-05 14:47, David Carlson wrote:
> > It has always been my custom to start from the left in the row that
> > I want to delete and alternately hit delete and tab across until the
> > split disappears completely. I am not sure if that is the only way to
> > do it, but I got into that habit long ago.
> Is that really necessary in 3.5? It's certainly NOT necessary in 2.6.19,
> which I'm using.
>
> Click anywhere in the split (line item) that you want to delete, then
> click the red slash-in-a-circle (Delete) icon in the toolbar. You get a
> confirming prompt which specifically mentions you're about to delete a
> split -- a single line item within a transaction.
>
> There's absolutely no need to delete any numbers first -- I've just
> verified this by trying it.
>
> (The confirming prompt contains a check box "Remember and don't ask me
> again."  If you don't get the prompt, most likely you ticked that box at
> some point and forgot about it.)
>
> BTW, GnuCash won't let you delete a split that belongs to the account
> register you're working in. For example, if you have the "Yard
> Maintenance" account open and are editing a transaction in that account
> register, you can't delete a split identifying the Yard Maintenance
> account. You _can_ edit that split to identify a different account, and
> then delete it. If you do that, be sure to make all changes before
> pressing Enter, because the transaction will disappear from the "Yard
> Maintenance" register as soon as you do. Of course you can still find it
> in the account register for any of the remaining splits.
>
> That is a change from 2.6.xx, because in that family, as I stated,
deleting the account name from the "anchor" line and tabbing off of the
"anchor" line makes it disappear without warning from that register view.

> Stan Brown
> Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://BrownMath.com
> http://OakRoadSystems.com

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:

> If you did that, then you didn't properly remove the other splits. You
> need to go into each cell and manually remove the data, then tab out..
> Then use the arrow key to move up and the split will disappear. Continue
> until all the extra splits are gone.

Derek,

Ah, I moved from cell-to-cell with the pointer, not with the tab key. That
probably makes all the difference.

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, David Carlson wrote:

> It has always been my custom to start from the left in the row that I want
> to delete and alternately hit delete and tab across until the split
> disappears completely. I am not sure if that is the only way to do it, but
> I got into that habit long ago.

David,

Because GnuCash has a GUI I tend to use the trackball to place the cursor in
a different field, not the tab key. As I responded to Derek, that probably
makes a difference in how the application acts.

> The main caveat is if that is done in the last or only row containing the
> account register name of the current view, the entire transaction seems to
> disappear out of that register view without warning, but it still exists
> in the general ledger and the register views of the other split lines. In
> my case that process takes several seconds and it is irreversible if done
> by accident.

Yep.

Many thanks,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Stephen M. Butler
On 6/5/19 11:45 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, June 5, 2019 2:34 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>>> Expand it and remove all the other splits.
>> Derek,
>>
>> That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
>> debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
>> rows.
> If you did that, then you didn't properly remove the other splits.  You
> need to go into each cell and manually remove the data, then tab out..
> Then use the arrow key to move up and the split will disappear.  Continue
> until all the extra splits are gone.
>
>>> Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is
>>> the
>>> correct phrasing)
>> Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
>> out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit
>> column.
>> I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.
> I just looked.  It's right-click -> remove other splits.
>
> Make sure you have the anchor split selected when you do this.
> Then you'll need to re-add the correct "other" split and properly set the
> debits and credits.

You can also delete the individual split lines.  I find that more intuitive.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rich

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Colin Law
It is not necessary to expand the transaction into split mode at all..
If you normally operate in non-split mode then just right click and
select Remove Other Splits.

Colin

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 20:49, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/5/19 11:45 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Derek,
> >>
> >> That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
> >> debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
> >> rows.
> > If you did that, then you didn't properly remove the other splits.  You
> > need to go into each cell and manually remove the data, then tab out..
> > Then use the arrow key to move up and the split will disappear.  Continue
> > until all the extra splits are gone.

> >> Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
> >> out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit
> >> column.
> >> I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.
> > I just looked.  It's right-click -> remove other splits.
> >
> > Make sure you have the anchor split selected when you do this.
> > Then you'll need to re-add the correct "other" split and properly set the
> > debits and credits.
>

> You can also delete the individual split lines.  I find that more intuitive.
>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Rich
> > -derek
> >

> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

I had a bug filed on this lack of warning: https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796978, which it looks like Bob had a fix pushed for 3.4.

I don’t think I’ve tested it since. I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

Ideally, the check for lack of an anchoring split shouldn’t happen till the user commits the transaction. If editing is still going on, the user might still add an anchoring split. But that would be another bug report or an RFE.

> On Jun 5, 2019, at 1:56 PM, David T. via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> David,
>
> If you delete the split for the current register, there is nothing binding the transaction to the current register, so of course it will "disappear" from this register.
>
> David
>

>  On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 14:49, David Carlson<[hidden email]> wrote:...
>
> The main caveat is if that is done in the last or only row containing the
> account register name of the current view, the entire transaction seems to
> disappear out of that register view without warning, but it still exists in
> the general ledger and the register views of the other split lines.  In my
> case that process takes several seconds and it is irreversible if done by
> accident.

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

It shouldn’t make a difference as long as you’re still deleting all of the split information.

If it does behave differently by method (keyboard vs. mouse focus; menu, toolbar, context menu, or delete/backspace) then that I think is a bug. All methods should produce the same result for this case as they are simply different ways to accomplish the same end task.

> On Jun 5, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, David Carlson wrote:
>

> David,
>
> Because GnuCash has a GUI I tend to use the trackball to place the cursor in
> a different field, not the tab key. As I responded to Derek, that probably
> makes a difference in how the application acts.
>
> Yep.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Rich

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

I think it’s just a matter of whatever is the optimum workflow for the situation.

Some of my auto-fill transaction details include 10 or more splits. It is much easier to keep the anchor split and choose to ‘delete other splits’ than to remove the other 9 one at a time. But If I only want to change one or two, certainly, deleting (or just re-assigning) those is much quicker to complete the entire entry.

> On Jun 5, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> You can also delete the individual split lines.  I find that more intuitive.

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Robert Heller
At Wed, 5 Jun 2019 11:34:05 -0700 (PDT) Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Expand it and remove all the other splits.
>
> Derek,
>
> That's what I tried before writing. I left only the credit and an expense
> debit. When I saved the transaction it still showed 'split' and had empty
> rows.

Removing the other splits means removing *everthing* on those lines. not just
the ammounts.  At least that is what works for me (I am using 2.4.15 under
CentOS 6).

> > Or you can expand and right click -> remove splits (I *think* that is the
> > correct phrasing)
>
> Well, there was a 'delete splits' option which did nothing for me but wipe
> out the 'split' in the transfer column and the amount in the credit column.
> I couldn't fix it so I essentially re-created the transaction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Mike or Penny Novack-4
On 6/5/2019 3:45 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

>> If you did that, then you didn't properly remove the other splits.  You
>> need to go into each cell and manually remove the data, then tab out..
>> Then use the arrow key to move up and the split will disappear.  Continue
>> until all the extra splits are gone.

Not a practical "how to do" answer but it might be a good time to
mention that "how to correct" in general involves the question "how
formal is your process"?

In the old days, pen and ink on paper,  erroneous transactions were
never removed. They were offset (enter the reverse transaction) and then
the correct transaction entered. In other words, preserving an audit
trail that there was an error that was corrected << the description
fields would explain/refer to the erroneous transaction >>

THIS PROCESS is still what is done by those of us required to maintain
formal books. SOME accounting software will require it, not allow
existing transactions to be deleted/altered. Might be required in some
jurisdictions. There has been discussion in this forum that gnucash
being unable to prevent deletion/alteration is a fault << that is, not
offering this option -- in effect, open source software cannot provide
this sort of security as those with programming ability could use an
altered version of the program to defeat it >>

HOWEVER -- most of us using gnucash are not following the formal
process. WE will simply delete/alter erroneous transactions.

Michael

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Stephen C. Camidge
For personal use and for most businesses, this would be the appropriate method. For larger businesses with EDP Auditors (do they still exist?) and regulations with accountability for the how data is maintained, the transactions should be locked. However, in that kind of environment, a free program like GNU Cash would not likely meet their needs or be permitted. So, it is safe to continue not to support that feature.

--
Stephen C. Camidge             [hidden email]   (519) 363-3912

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, at 9:18 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> On 6/5/2019 3:45 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>

> >> If you did that, then you didn't properly remove the other splits.  You
> >> need to go into each cell and manually remove the data, then tab out..
> >> Then use the arrow key to move up and the split will disappear.  Continue
> >> until all the extra splits are gone.
>
> Not a practical "how to do" answer but it might be a good time to
> mention that "how to correct" in general involves the question "how
> formal is your process"?
>
> In the old days, pen and ink on paper,  erroneous transactions were
> never removed. They were offset (enter the reverse transaction) and then
> the correct transaction entered. In other words, preserving an audit
> trail that there was an error that was corrected << the description
> fields would explain/refer to the erroneous transaction >>
>
> THIS PROCESS is still what is done by those of us required to maintain
> formal books. SOME accounting software will require it, not allow
> existing transactions to be deleted/altered. Might be required in some
> jurisdictions. There has been discussion in this forum that gnucash
> being unable to prevent deletion/alteration is a fault << that is, not
> offering this option -- in effect, open source software cannot provide
> this sort of security as those with programming ability could use an
> altered version of the program to defeat it >>
>
> HOWEVER -- most of us using gnucash are not following the formal
> process. WE will simply delete/alter erroneous transactions.
>
> Michael

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

David Carlson-4
I think we are mostly talking about removing errors in new transactions
before they are initially committed,  not removing old errors.  If every
sloppy keystroke or cat--track had to stay, we would never get anything
done.

David Carlson

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 9:09 AM Stephen C. Camidge <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For personal use and for most businesses, this would be the appropriate
> method. For larger businesses with EDP Auditors (do they still exist?) and
> regulations with accountability for the how data is maintained, the
> transactions should be locked. However, in that kind of environment, a free
> program like GNU Cash would not likely meet their needs or be permitted.
> So, it is safe to continue not to support that feature.
>
> --
> Stephen C. Camidge             [hidden email]   (519) 363-3912

> You
> Continue
> >
> > Not a practical "how to do" answer but it might be a good time to
> > mention that "how to correct" in general involves the question "how
> > formal is your process"?
> >
> > In the old days, pen and ink on paper,  erroneous transactions were
> > never removed. They were offset (enter the reverse transaction) and then
> > the correct transaction entered. In other words, preserving an audit
> > trail that there was an error that was corrected << the description
> > fields would explain/refer to the erroneous transaction >>
> >
> > THIS PROCESS is still what is done by those of us required to maintain
> > formal books. SOME accounting software will require it, not allow
> > existing transactions to be deleted/altered. Might be required in some
> > jurisdictions. There has been discussion in this forum that gnucash
> > being unable to prevent deletion/alteration is a fault << that is, not
> > offering this option -- in effect, open source software cannot provide
> > this sort of security as those with programming ability could use an
> > altered version of the program to defeat it >>
> >
> > HOWEVER -- most of us using gnucash are not following the formal
> > process. WE will simply delete/alter erroneous transactions.
> >
> > Michael
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

I could have sworn there was a simple (and easily defeat-able) locking mechanism based on number of days that had passed, but I can’t seem to find the preference.

Perhaps I was imagining things.

Regardless, if one wants to use correcting transactions, that is certainly still doable, and there is even a facility to have a reversing transaction entered for you via the Transaction menu.

But I don’t think any of that was what the OP was dealing with. They were editing an auto-filled *new* transaction.

> On Jun 6, 2019, at 9:07 AM, Stephen C. Camidge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For personal use and for most businesses, this would be the appropriate method. For larger businesses with EDP Auditors (do they still exist?) and regulations with accountability for the how data is maintained, the transactions should be locked. However, in that kind of environment, a free program like GNU Cash would not likely meet their needs or be permitted. So, it is safe to continue not to support that feature.
>
> --
> Stephen C. Camidge             [hidden email]   (519) 363-3912

>> Not a practical "how to do" answer but it might be a good time to
>> mention that "how to correct" in general involves the question "how
>> formal is your process"?
>>
>> In the old days, pen and ink on paper,  erroneous transactions were
>> never removed. They were offset (enter the reverse transaction) and then
>> the correct transaction entered. In other words, preserving an audit
>> trail that there was an error that was corrected << the description
>> fields would explain/refer to the erroneous transaction >>
>>
>> THIS PROCESS is still what is done by those of us required to maintain
>> formal books. SOME accounting software will require it, not allow
>> existing transactions to be deleted/altered. Might be required in some
>> jurisdictions. There has been discussion in this forum that gnucash
>> being unable to prevent deletion/alteration is a fault << that is, not
>> offering this option -- in effect, open source software cannot provide
>> this sort of security as those with programming ability could use an
>> altered version of the program to defeat it >>
>>
>> HOWEVER -- most of us using gnucash are not following the formal
>> process. WE will simply delete/alter erroneous transactions.
>>
>> Michael

12