[GNC] Uninstall GC

Dennis Powless-2
-do I NEED to uninstall Gnucash?
If so....

I installed 3.1 from source, I now am trying to upgrade to 3.4.  On 18.04
LTS.

I have on my home directory....
dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~/Applications$ ls
build-gnucash-3.1  gnucash-3.1

Output from whereis gnucash
/home/dennis/.local/bin/gnucash

I used
Do I navigate to that location and run    make uninstall    ?

FYI:
dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ sudo apt list --installed | grep gnucash
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in
scripts.

sudo apt-get remove --purge gnucash
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'gnucash' is not installed, so not removed

sudo apt-get remove --purge gnucash
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'gnucash' is not installed, so not removed

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Peter von Kaehne
   If you installed from source, you need to uninstall, yes. Otherwise you
   have a potential mess.
   Where did you install into?
   I keep all programmes I compile myself under /usr/local/ which keeps it
   clean and easy to separate out if necessary.
   Peter
   Sent from my mobile. Please forgive shortness, typos and weird
   autocorrects.

[...]
     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Stephen M. Butler
On 3/7/19 8:55 AM, Dennis Powless wrote:
> -do I NEED to uninstall Gnucash?
> If so....

I've been told that you need to do so.

> I installed 3.1 from source, I now am trying to upgrade to 3.4.  On 18.04
> LTS.

Where did you do the build?  Do the "make uninstall" from that
directory/folder.

> I have on my home directory....
> dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~/Applications$ ls
> build-gnucash-3.1  gnucash-3.1

Looks like ~/Applications/build-gnucash-3.1 is your build directory,
make uninstall while in that location.

> Output from whereis gnucash
> /home/dennis/.local/bin/gnucash
>
> I used
> Do I navigate to that location and run    make uninstall    ?
Not there.  The build directory where the make file is located.

> FYI:
> dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ sudo apt list --installed | grep gnucash
> WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in
> scripts.
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge gnucash
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package 'gnucash' is not installed, so not removed
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge gnucash
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package 'gnucash' is not installed, so not removed

That's the nature of a local build.  I'm getting into the habit of
building to a .deb file and installing from there.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Dennis

Take a look at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Uninstall_Gnucash_Ubuntu if you
are on Linux.

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Dennis Powless-2
These are the commands I ran to install gnucash.....

cmake -DWITH_AQBANKING=OFF -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/dennis/.local
/home/dennis/Applications/gnucash-3.1

cmake

cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/.local ../gnucash-3.<x>

This is where gnucash is located.....
dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ whereis gnucash
gnucash: /home/dennis/.local/bin/gnucash

I tried the steps in the article.....
dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~/Applications/build-gnucash-3.1$ sudo make uninstall
make: /usr/bin/cmake: Command not found
Makefile:3688: recipe for target 'cmake_check_build_system' failed
make: *** [cmake_check_build_system] Error 127

dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~/Applications/gnucash-3.1$ sudo make uninstall
[sudo] password for dennis:
make: *** No rule to make target 'uninstall'.  Stop.

----Dennis

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:30 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dennis
>
> Take a look at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Uninstall_Gnucash_Ubuntu if
> you
> are on Linux.
>
> David
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Denis

$cd  ~/Applications/build-gnucash-3.1
$make uninstall

should do it since you installed in HOME/.local  HOME is just /home/<user>
where <user> is your username on the system. I don't install there but use
/usr/local for system wide installation not individual user so I am not sure
of the exact details of how GnuCash installs in HOME/.local.

If it doesn't then you can remove the installation manually. If the build
directory is intact it will have a file install_manifest.txt which will list
where all the files are installed to.

All files will be under the .local hidden directory. Uee Ctrl-H in your file
manager to display hidden directories. I think that works on Ubuntu as well
as Linux Mint.

Check what files are present in HOME/.local.  How you proceed will depend if
you have installed any other software in this location. If you are lucky it
will possibley have a file gnucash which has subdirectories like bin, share,
lib, etc.  If this is the case then deleting the gnucash directory and
contents will completely remove the gnucash application with no problems.

If it isn't in a gnucash directory it will probably just have bin,share,
lib,etc directories directly under HOME/.local  . In this case you will need
to check whether any other applications are installed. Chances are if
HOME/.local/bin doesn't contain anything but the gnucash program you are OK,
but also check the lib and share directories to see if there are anything
other than gnucash related files there.  If there are no other applications
installed there then it is safe to just delete all the directories under
HOME/.local.

If not then you could use the install_manifest.txt as a guide  and manually
delete them one by one to ensure you don't delete anything else you might
need.

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Dennis Powless
I tried that, see the error.   I guess I’ll try some of those other things.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2019, at 10:16 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Denis
>
> $cd  ~/Applications/build-gnucash-3.1
> $make uninstall
>
> should do it since you installed in HOME/.local  HOME is just /home/<user>
> where <user> is your username on the system. I don't install there but use
> /usr/local for system wide installation not individual user so I am not sure
> of the exact details of how GnuCash installs in HOME/.local.
>
> If it doesn't then you can remove the installation manually. If the build
> directory is intact it will have a file install_manifest.txt which will list
> where all the files are installed to.
>
> All files will be under the .local hidden directory. Uee Ctrl-H in your file
> manager to display hidden directories. I think that works on Ubuntu as well
> as Linux Mint.
>
> Check what files are present in HOME/.local.  How you proceed will depend if
> you have installed any other software in this location. If you are lucky it
> will possibley have a file gnucash which has subdirectories like bin, share,
> lib, etc.  If this is the case then deleting the gnucash directory and
> contents will completely remove the gnucash application with no problems.
>
> If it isn't in a gnucash directory it will probably just have bin,share,
> lib,etc directories directly under HOME/.local  . In this case you will need
> to check whether any other applications are installed. Chances are if
> HOME/.local/bin doesn't contain anything but the gnucash program you are OK,
> but also check the lib and share directories to see if there are anything
> other than gnucash related files there.  If there are no other applications
> installed there then it is safe to just delete all the directories under
> HOME/.local.
>
> If not then you could use the install_manifest.txt as a guide  and manually
> delete them one by one to ensure you don't delete anything else you might
> need.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

John Ralls
Dennis,

The error says that "make" is on root's path but not dennis's and that it's a link to /usr/bin/cmake and that doesn't exist. That's a problem with your system and you need to clean it up.

When `make uninstall` fails check to see if install_manifest.txt exists in the build directory. If it doesn't then you'll have to uninstall GnuCash manually as David explained. if it is there then you can run the command that make uninstall would: `xargs rm < install_manifest.txt`.

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 5:23 AM, Dennis Powless <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried that, see the error.   I guess I’ll try some of those other things.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 10, 2019, at 10:16 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Denis
>>
>> $cd  ~/Applications/build-gnucash-3.1
>> $make uninstall
>>
>> should do it since you installed in HOME/.local  HOME is just /home/<user>
>> where <user> is your username on the system. I don't install there but use
>> /usr/local for system wide installation not individual user so I am not sure
>> of the exact details of how GnuCash installs in HOME/.local.
>>
>> If it doesn't then you can remove the installation manually. If the build
>> directory is intact it will have a file install_manifest.txt which will list
>> where all the files are installed to.
>>
>> All files will be under the .local hidden directory. Uee Ctrl-H in your file
>> manager to display hidden directories. I think that works on Ubuntu as well
>> as Linux Mint.
>>
>> Check what files are present in HOME/.local.  How you proceed will depend if
>> you have installed any other software in this location. If you are lucky it
>> will possibley have a file gnucash which has subdirectories like bin, share,
>> lib, etc.  If this is the case then deleting the gnucash directory and
>> contents will completely remove the gnucash application with no problems.
>>
>> If it isn't in a gnucash directory it will probably just have bin,share,
>> lib,etc directories directly under HOME/.local  . In this case you will need
>> to check whether any other applications are installed. Chances are if
>> HOME/.local/bin doesn't contain anything but the gnucash program you are OK,
>> but also check the lib and share directories to see if there are anything
>> other than gnucash related files there.  If there are no other applications
>> installed there then it is safe to just delete all the directories under
>> HOME/.local.
>>
>> If not then you could use the install_manifest.txt as a guide  and manually
>> delete them one by one to ensure you don't delete anything else you might
>> need.
>>
>> David Cousens
>>

>> -----
>> David Cousens
>> --
>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

Re: [GNC] Uninstall GC

Dennis Powless-2
I have that file in the build directory...... build-gnucash-3.1

*""""The error says that "make" is on root's path but not dennis's and that
it's a link to /usr/bin/cmake and that doesn't exist. That's a problem with
your system and you need to clean it up.""""*
How do I clean this up.  I'm not sure, what I need to do in order to make
this happen.  Do I need to reinstall this?  This is the output on whereis
make and cmake.  make --version and cmake --version

dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ whereis make
make: /usr/bin/make /usr/share/man/man1/make.1.gz
/usr/src/googletest/googletest/make /usr/src/googletest/googlemock/make
dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ whereis cmake
cmake: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake /usr/local/bin/cmake
/usr/share/cmake /usr/src/googletest/googletest/cmake

dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ make --version
GNU Make 4.1
Built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Copyright (C) 1988-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~$ cmake --version
cmake version 3.13.3

CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).

dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~/Applications/build-gnucash-3.1$ ls
bin                    CPackConfig.cmake        install_manifest.txt
bindings               CPackSourceConfig.cmake  lib
borrowed               CTestTestfile.cmake      libgnucash
cmake                  data                     Makefile
CMakeCache.txt         dist_manifest.txt        po
CMakeFiles             doc                      share
cmake_install.cmake    etc                      test-templates
cmake_uninstall.cmake  gnc_data_home            util
common                 gnucash

dennis@dennis-XPS-8500:~/Applications/gnucash-3.1$ ls
AUTHORS         ChangeLog.2005  ChangeLog.2015  HACKING
bindings        ChangeLog.2006  ChangeLog.2016  libgnucash
borrowed        ChangeLog.2007  ChangeLog.2017  LICENSE
ChangeLog       ChangeLog.2008  cmake           NEWS
ChangeLog.1999  ChangeLog.2009  CMakeLists.txt  po
ChangeLog.2000  ChangeLog.2010  common          README
ChangeLog.2001  ChangeLog.2011  data            README.dependencies
ChangeLog.2002  ChangeLog.2012  doc             test-templates
ChangeLog.2003  ChangeLog.2013  DOCUMENTERS     util
ChangeLog.2004  ChangeLog.2014  gnucash