[GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

[GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

ornd25

I’m having some trouble understanding the meaning of the Accounts and Filter tabs options and I find the Help and the Tutorial and Concepts Guide needs a bit more explanation.

1. Account tab:  What does the “Include transactions to/from Filter Accounts” (and “Exclude”) mean? The documentation uses those same words to describe their function.

2. Account tab:  I understand the Account tree selection under “Accounts” (top block), but what is the account tree under “Filter By” used for? How can you “filter by” something you’ve already chosen?

3. Filter tab: How is the “Account Name Filter” used? Am I to change it each time for a selection or is this invoking a previously-named “Account Name Filter?”

4. Filter tab: The “Transaction Filter” appears to be used to specify the words I want to report and link them to the specific transaction in which they appear, but sometimes the Transaction Report indicates “No transactions were found,” so perhaps I’m mistaken.

5. Filter tab: When would I select “Use regular expressions for transaction filter?”

6. Filter tab: What is POSIX and how and why should I invoke it?

7. Filter tab: How can I invoke a boolean “OR” to report either of two or more transaction filters? (in this case I want to report a transaction that has either one person’s name or another in the Description.)

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

GnuCash - User mailing list
 OK, I'll take a shot  at this since I've been using  the  Transaction Report a lot  over the last two weeks.
If you run a Transaction Report on Checking and select...

 Filter Type: Transactions To/From Filter Accounts...
Filter By: Expenses > Utilities
Then Click Apply...

then gnuCash will show you all transactions that hit the checking account that were charged to the Utilities Expense Account
ALSO... If you want more than one account you can Ctl Click to add accounts...
For instance if you want the Transaction Report to include both Checking and Savings then you can Click Checking and Ctl Click Savings in "Accounts" section at the top sections of the Accounts Tab in the Options popup window.
And, you can also add additional "Filter By: accounts in the same way... for example you can "Filter By"...
 Expenses > Insurance > Health Insurance
 and then Ctl  Click Medical Expenses and then Apply
Then the Transaction Report will show you what hit your Checking and Savings Accounts that were charged to either Health Insurance or Medical Insurance.
I suggest you copy your gnuCash file and rename the copy test.gnucash and then open that and do some experiments... shouldn't take long to get the general idea.
Regarding Regular Expressions... That is a really complicated way to search used mainly by programmers and I would suggest you avoid it unless you really... really need a special type of search. If so there are plenty of YouTube Tutorials on how to search using Regular Expressions.
Didn't cover all your questions but this should get you started.
 And finally, I must say, the Transaction Report is a great feature of gnuCash... so thanks to the development team for that!
Hope this helps.

    On Saturday, October 12, 2019, 11:37:33 AM EDT, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oct 12, 2019, 17:09 by [hidden email]:

> [...]
>
> 3. Filter tab: How is the “Account Name Filter” used? Am I to change it each time for a selection or is this invoking a previously-named “Account Name Filter?”
>
> 4. Filter tab: The “Transaction Filter” appears to be used to specify the words I want to report and link them to the specific transaction in which they appear, but sometimes the Transaction Report indicates “No transactions were found,” so perhaps I’m mistaken.
>
> 5. Filter tab: When would I select “Use regular expressions for transaction filter?”
>
> 6. Filter tab: What is POSIX and how and why should I invoke it?
>
> 7. Filter tab: How can I invoke a boolean “OR” to report either of two or more transaction filters? (in this case I want to report a transaction that has either one person’s name or another in the Description.)

Fran_3,

Yes, it does help with context.

1. Account tab:  What does the “Include transactions to/from Filter Accounts” (and “Exclude”) mean? The documentation uses those same words to describe their function.

2. Account tab:  I understand the Account tree selection under “Accounts” (top block), but what is the account tree under “Filter By” used for? How can you “filter by” something you’ve already chosen?

Update: Choosing two different accounts (or sets of accounts) in the two account trees means you’re looking for the intersection of the two sets. I must have tried it previously only with “Exclude” (see Number 1, above) and that didn’t work at all.

With “Include” selected it mostly worked, except long splits with two possibilities would show both possibilities (same date), with one that wasn’t really the expected result, unless the Transaction filter (number 4, below, also limited it further. Okay, I understand this now.

3. Filter tab: How is the “Account Name Filter” used? Am I to use it each time for a selection or is this invoking a previously-named “Account Name Filter?”

4. Filter tab: The “Transaction Filter” appears to be used to specify the words I want to report and link them to the specific transaction in which they appear, but sometimes the Transaction Report indicates “No transactions were found,” so perhaps I’m mistaken.

Update: This appears to be best used (for me) in further limiting the Account tab filter. I believe I begin to understand this now.

5. Filter tab: When would I select “Use regular expressions for transaction filter?”
Update: Best avoided, I understand.

6. Filter tab: What is POSIX and how and why should I invoke it?

7. Filter tab: How can I invoke a boolean “OR” to report either of two or more transaction filters? (in this case I want to report a transaction that has either one person’s name or another in the Description.)

Thanks, Fran.

If anyone would like to take a swing at Numbers 1, 3, 6, and 7, I’d appreciate it.

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

Christopher Lam
Hello

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 15:38, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Account tab:  What does the “Include transactions to/from Filter
> Accounts” (and “Exclude”) mean? The documentation uses those same words to
> describe their function.
>

> 2. Account tab:  I understand the Account tree selection under “Accounts”
> (top block), but what is the account tree under “Filter By” used for? How
> can you “filter by” something you’ve already chosen?

You'll notice "Filter By..." is only enabled when "Filter Type" is not
None. Consider an account structure Asset:Bank:Current,
Expenses:School:Fees:

Select Account/Account - Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: None --> will
show all bank transactions

Select Account/Account - Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: Include to/from,
Filter-By: Expenses:School:Fees --> will show only school fees

> 3. Filter tab: How is the “Account Name Filter” used? Am I to change it
> each time for a selection or is this invoking a previously-named “Account
> Name Filter?”

Consider a rental business book with dozens of accounts;
Expenses:Property1:Maintenance, Asset:Property1, Asset:Property2,
Income:Property1:Rental, etc... If you wish to analyse Property1 amounts,
you could select *only* property1 accounts in the account tab... or
alternatively select *all* accounts in the account tab, and filter
account-name by ":Property1".

> 5. Filter tab: When would I select “Use regular expressions for
> transaction filter?”
> 6. Filter tab: What is POSIX and how and why should I invoke it?
> 7. Filter tab: How can I invoke a boolean “OR” to report either of two or
> more transaction filters? (in this case I want to report a transaction that
> has either one person’s name or another in the Description.)

Transaction Filter searches transaction's description/notes/memo. It either
searches conventionally e.g. "Party", or searches using POSIX regex
matching: "Party|Flights" is the boolean OR. Regex is powerful, e.g.
"Party201[7-8]" will search Party2017 and Party2018.

HTH.

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

ornd25

Oct 13, 2019, 05:01 by [hidden email]:

> Hello
>
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 15:38, <> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> > wrote:
>
>> 1. Account tab:  What does the “Include transactions to/from Filter Accounts” (and “Exclude”) mean? The documentation uses those same words to describe their function.
>>

>> 2. Account tab:  I understand the Account tree selection under “Accounts” (top block), but what is the account tree under “Filter By” used for? How can you “filter by” something you’ve already chosen?
>>

> You'll notice "Filter By..." is only enabled when "Filter Type" is not None. Consider an account structure Asset:Bank:Current, Expenses:School:Fees:
>
> Select Account/Account - Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: None --> will show all bank transactions
>
> Select Account/Account - Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: Include to/from, Filter-By: Expenses:School:Fees --> will show only school fees
>

>> 3. Filter tab: How is the “Account Name Filter” used? Am I to change it each time for a selection or is this invoking a previously-named “Account Name Filter?”
>>

> Consider a rental business book with dozens of accounts; Expenses:Property1:Maintenance, Asset:Property1, Asset:Property2, Income:Property1:Rental, etc... If you wish to analyse Property1 amounts, you could select *only* property1 accounts in the account tab... or alternatively select *all* accounts in the account tab, and filter account-name by ":Property1".
>

>> 5. Filter tab: When would I select “Use regular expressions for transaction filter?”
>>  6. Filter tab: What is POSIX and how and why should I invoke it?
>>  7. Filter tab: How can I invoke a boolean “OR” to report either of two or more transaction filters? (in this case I want to report a transaction that has either one person’s name or another in the Description.)
>>

> Transaction Filter searches transaction's description/notes/memo. It either searches conventionally e.g. "Party", or searches using POSIX regex matching: "Party|Flights" is the boolean OR. Regex is powerful, e.g. "Party201[7-8]" will search Party2017 and Party2018.
>
> HTH.

Christopher, thank you. Let me ensure I understand.
and 2. When Account tab filter is set to "Include," and Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: Include to/from, Filter-By: Expenses:School:Fees --> will show only school fees.                                          Comment: "Include" appears to me to work similarly to the exclusionary Boolean "AND" operator, since the system will only report the intersection of the two sets. "Exclude," then, should show everything except the school fees, and appears to operate as a Boolean "NOT" operator.
3. Filter tab: Account Name Filter: Comment: This is another way to accomplish what might have selected on the Account tab and is not a completely separate function.

6. and 7. Thank you.

With this new understanding as a baseline I'll practice a few reports. I do recall, however, that prior to selecting filter accounts on the Accounts tab, I used the Transaction Filter and needed the Filter By "Exclude" in order to achieve anything useful. I expect I should have chosen "None" if I were not going to select a Filter account.

Again, thanks.

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

Christopher Lam
> Christopher, thank you. Let me ensure I understand.
> and 2. When Account tab filter is set to "Include," and
> Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: Include to/from, Filter-By:
> Expenses:School:Fees --> will show only school
> fees.

Comment: "Include" appears to me to work similarly to the exclusionary
> Boolean "AND" operator, since the system will only report the intersection
> of the two sets. "Exclude," then, should show everything except the school
> fees, and appears to operate as a Boolean "NOT" operator.

3. Filter tab: Account Name Filter: Comment: This is another way to
> accomplish what might have selected on the Account tab and is not a
> completely separate function.

Correct. Case example. My book as numerous household expense accounts, e.g.
Expenses:House:Electricity, etc.

My accountant lets me deduct a proportion of house electricity bills for
home office, and when I submit my annual statements, I find it error-prone
to carefully select from the Accounts tab. Hence I modified the transaction
report in 2017 to offer the ability to tag the desired accounts with "^"
e.g. Income:Job^, Income:Bank-Interest^, Expenses:House:Electricity^ which
means an account fullname filter for '^' gets me everything I need for my
annual tax. The accountant then gets the responsibility of calculating the
proportion of home office use.

> With this new understanding as a baseline I'll practice a few reports. I
do recall, however, that prior to selecting filter accounts on the Accounts
tab, I used the Transaction Filter and needed the Filter By "Exclude" in
order to achieve anything useful. I expect I should have chosen "None" if I
were not going to select a Filter account

Correct. the Filter-By and Filter-Type were old-style account-only
filtering options and it would be confusing to users to find the option
names modified or removed. See amendments to transaction.scm in
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/5eb7ddb4e9 originally from 2001.

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

George Riner
(Using GnuCash 3.7.1 on Windows 10)

I approach the Transaction Report options for "Accounts" and "Filter
By..." as a sort of 2-dimensional thing.  Down the rows are the incomes
and expenses that I want reported (sorta like Quicken's old
'categories') and across the columns are the accounts that I used to pay
for those expenses (credit cards, checking accounts, cash, etc.)

What I find unfortunate in this regard is that both "Accounts..." and
"Filter By..." lists are unaffected by account type.  All my accounts
are listed in alphabetical order by my Account Name and this has the
effect of jumbling up expense accounts and income accounts with banking
and credit card accounts, making it necessary to have to scroll through
each list and pick out the particular accounts for each 'dimension' I
use.  Since I sometimes decide to create a new income or expense account
to track some activity I'm doing, or I get a new credit card - when I
run a saved report later - I have to remember to scroll through both
"Accounts..." and "Filter By..." to add the new accounts to each lists'
selections before running the report.

Because of this, I've been tempted to reorganize my COA so that I only
have a handful of 'top' accounts and everything else is subaccounts.
E.g. I'd have a top level of 'Expenses', a top level of 'Incomes', a top
level of 'Bank accounts' and 'Credit cards', etc.  I could also then
create a top level account for 'Archived' and move accounts I no longer
use under that top level.   Then I simply select "Expenses" and
"Incomes" in the "Accounts" list and then click 'Select Children' and in
the 'Filter By...' list I select 'Credit Cards' and 'Bank Accounts' and
click 'Select Children' and I'm done.

:George

On 10/13/2019 6:13 AM, Christopher Lam wrote:

>> Christopher, thank you. Let me ensure I understand.
>> and 2. When Account tab filter is set to "Include," and
>> Asset:Bank:Current, Filter-Type: Include to/from, Filter-By:
>> Expenses:School:Fees --> will show only school
>> fees.
>>
> Comment: "Include" appears to me to work similarly to the exclusionary
>> Boolean "AND" operator, since the system will only report the intersection
>> of the two sets. "Exclude," then, should show everything except the school
>> fees, and appears to operate as a Boolean "NOT" operator.
>>
> 3. Filter tab: Account Name Filter: Comment: This is another way to
>> accomplish what might have selected on the Account tab and is not a
>> completely separate function.
>>
> Correct. Case example. My book as numerous household expense accounts, e.g.
> Expenses:House:Electricity, etc.
>
> My accountant lets me deduct a proportion of house electricity bills for
> home office, and when I submit my annual statements, I find it error-prone
> to carefully select from the Accounts tab. Hence I modified the transaction
> report in 2017 to offer the ability to tag the desired accounts with "^"
> e.g. Income:Job^, Income:Bank-Interest^, Expenses:House:Electricity^ which
> means an account fullname filter for '^' gets me everything I need for my
> annual tax. The accountant then gets the responsibility of calculating the
> proportion of home office use.
>
>> With this new understanding as a baseline I'll practice a few reports. I
> do recall, however, that prior to selecting filter accounts on the Accounts
> tab, I used the Transaction Filter and needed the Filter By "Exclude" in
> order to achieve anything useful. I expect I should have chosen "None" if I
> were not going to select a Filter account
>
> Correct. the Filter-By and Filter-Type were old-style account-only
> filtering options and it would be confusing to users to find the option
> names modified or removed. See amendments to transaction.scm in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/5eb7ddb4e9 originally from 2001.

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Oct 16, 2019 w42d289, at 11:19 AM, George Riner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (Using GnuCash 3.7.1 on Windows 10)
>
> I approach the Transaction Report options for "Accounts" and "Filter By..." as a sort of 2-dimensional thing.  Down the rows are the incomes and expenses that I want reported (sorta like Quicken's old 'categories') and across the columns are the accounts that I used to pay for those expenses (credit cards, checking accounts, cash, etc.)
>
> What I find unfortunate in this regard is that both "Accounts..." and "Filter By..." lists are unaffected by account type.  All my accounts are listed in alphabetical order by my Account Name and this has the effect of jumbling up expense accounts and income accounts with banking and credit card accounts, making it necessary to have to scroll through each list and pick out the particular accounts for each 'dimension' I use.  Since I sometimes decide to create a new income or expense account to track some activity I'm doing, or I get a new credit card - when I run a saved report later - I have to remember to scroll through both "Accounts..." and "Filter By..." to add the new accounts to each lists' selections before running the report.

My accounts in report options are all grouped just like they are on my CoA tab, by type. Not sure how you ended up in that situation. (using 3.7 on MacOS)

> Because of this, I've been tempted to reorganize my COA so that I only have a handful of 'top' accounts and everything else is subaccounts. E.g. I'd have a top level of 'Expenses', a top level of 'Incomes', a top level of 'Bank accounts' and 'Credit cards', etc.  I could also then create a top level account for 'Archived' and move accounts I no longer use under that top level.   Then I simply select "Expenses" and "Incomes" in the "Accounts" list and then click 'Select Children' and in the 'Filter By...' list I select 'Credit Cards' and 'Bank Accounts' and click 'Select Children' and I'm done.
>
> :George

That’s how GnuCash organizes accounts from the outset. Did you create *all* of your individual accounts as ’top level’?

That might be why you are seeing that mess in report Options. (and on the CoA tab)

Also, no need to create an ‘archive’ level. You can just hide inactive accounts. That way, they stay where they belong in the account tree and you can make them visible when needed.

It is rare to need top level accounts other than the basics. (Assets, Liabilities, Income, Expense, Equity)

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

George Riner
Yup.  I am a Quicken data-convert. And all those accounts at 'top level'
are what I got. I did not start 'fresh' with GnuCash from the outset
with the GnuCash way of organizing accounts.

But, accounts all have a property of 'account type' that pretty much
seems like workable 'top-level' categorization. Why not use that
property elsewhere in the app? (I'm not a business user, so perhaps
those account types come into play more for business users?)

Thanks for the tip about hiding accounts.  I think I'll give that a
try.  Because the Quicken-data convert went back so far in time, there's
a lot of accounts that I'll be hiding.  I just hope I can find the 'show
hidden accounts' box when I need to.

:George

On 10/16/2019 9:38 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> [...]
>
> That might be why you are seeing that mess in report Options. (and on the CoA tab)
>
> Also, no need to create an ‘archive’ level. You can just hide inactive accounts. That way, they stay where they belong in the account tree and you can make them visible when needed.
>
> It is rare to need top level accounts other than the basics. (Assets, Liabilities, Income, Expense, Equity)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

Adrien Monteleone-2
> On Oct 17, 2019 w42d290, at 10:53 PM, George Riner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yup.  I am a Quicken data-convert. And all those accounts at 'top level' are what I got. I did not start 'fresh' with GnuCash from the outset with the GnuCash way of organizing accounts.

Interesting that a data import created all of those accounts as top-level.

I’d say that is probably a bug.

> But, accounts all have a property of 'account type' that pretty much seems like workable 'top-level' categorization. Why not use that property elsewhere in the app? (I'm not a business user, so perhaps those account types come into play more for business users?)

Maybe we’re talking past each other here.

‘Account Type’ is where you assign if the account is one of those main types. (Assets, Liabilities, Equity, Expenses, Income) The other types are just more specific versions of those 5 that GnuCash has a few extra functions for if you use them. (like credit card accounts) The app also uses this type assignment to determine what the informal column labels are. (rather than debit/credit)

But while that assignment needs to be done, there’s nothing stopping you from placing any account anywhere in the tree. (as you’ve discovered)

It is possible for example, to put an asset account as a child of Liabilities if you so desire. (not sure why you’d do that, but you can)

The usual practice is to make asset accounts as children (nested if necessary) of the top-level account called ‘Assets’, etc.

This makes organization and reporting much more sane.

> Thanks for the tip about hiding accounts.  I think I'll give that a try.  Because the Quicken-data convert went back so far in time, there's a lot of accounts that I'll be hiding.  I just hope I can find the 'show hidden accounts' box when I need to.

It’s in View > Filter By... > Other.  That setting is not ’sticky’ however, and will be reset when you close GnuCash and launch the next time. So you can see them again, but they won’t stay in your way. Note, there are also other useful filters there. (like showing/hiding zero balance accounts and accounts that have no transactions in them)

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

George,

In the QIF import process, there is a step at which you can map the Quicken
Accounts onto the GnuCash accounts. The Quicken Expense and Income
categories should automatically be assigned as sub accounts of the GnuCash
top level Income and Expense accounts.
(https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/trans-import.html). The
Asset and Liability and any of the created accounts should be able to be
renamed and/or reassigned at this point by double clicking on the rows to
bring up an account selection dialog.  The current documentation is not too
expansive about this though.  It has been rewritten recently but won't make
it into the docs until v4.

The Account tab features can usually be accessed while you are in the middle
of the import process and you can create new accounts from this even while
the import is in process if you need to. The accounts can usually be readily
reorganized/renamed after the importing as required. If you try to delete an
account with transactions into it GnuCash will usually ask if you wish to
reassign them to another account.

Rather than hiding accounts in the longer term you could also reorganize the
existing records into a new account structure that meets your current needs.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

Liz
On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 02:34:18 -0500 (CDT)
David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rather than hiding accounts in the longer term you could also
> reorganize the existing records into a new account structure that
> meets your current needs.

Just bear in mind that you can move accounts around and back again if
you got it wrong.
If you have something under the wrong type eg an Asset account as a
Liability, you need some extra tricks to move it. Just coome back here
and ask.

Liz